PDA

View Full Version : This has to be one of the best years for the SoCon

ERASU2113
November 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Teams are beating the crap out of each other. There's not a clear-cut favorite to win the conference, like an undefeated ASU.

Read David Coulson's article on sportsnetwork, and he explains the whole tiebreaker situation....

" It created a four-way logjam at the top of the standings and means that for only the second time in the 87-year history of the league that a team will win the football title with two or more league losses.

Elon can simplify things by winning on Saturday against The Citadel. That would give the Phoenix the auto bid should the four teams finish tied, or if Elon, Georgia Southern and Wofford end up on top.

In a multiple-team tie, the SoCon first looks at head-to-head meetings, and Elon would hold a 2-1 edge over the other three in a four-way deadlock, and a 2-0 advantage over GSU and Wofford.

Appalachian State has a scheduling edge with home games against Western Carolina and Chattanooga, the bottom feeders in the league. If ASU and Elon finish in a two-way tie, the Mountaineers would earn the auto bid due to their victory over the Phoenix.

Wofford, which has been laboring down the stretch, finishes its league schedule at Chattanooga. Should the Terriers win, they can only earn an auto bid if there is a two-team tie with Appalachian State, whom the Terriers beat. Wofford lost to both Elon and Georgia Southern.

Georgia Southern could gain the auto bid if it beats arch-rival Furman Saturday at home, and the Eagles get a loss from Elon. GSU beat ASU and Wofford. "

and later on....

"The Southern Conference will also be hoping for two or three at-large spots and you could make a case for three if the race remains tied.

Appalachian State will almost certainly be in with another win, considering it is the two-time defending national champion and the clout that will come from its win over Michigan.

Elon could point to a solid non-conference schedule and quality losses to South Florida and Appalachian State, along with the win over Wofford. Georgia Southern has a big win at ASU that ended the Mountaineers' 30-game home winning streak, and the victory over Wofford.

Wofford might have the toughest time getting in as an at-large, even with its win over Appalachian State, because the Terriers have faded down the stretch. "

If you haven't read it....here's the link he explains all the automatic bids and at-large...
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

OL FU
November 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
This has to be one of the best years for the SoCon

That is certainly one opinionxeyebrowx xbawlingx

Actually I agree. I have argued with Chickenman, Gannonfan, 89hen and others on the the strength of the top of the SoCon versus top to bottom CAA for a couple of years. But there is no doubt we have been to top heavy. It is much more fun when every game can can be considered a challenge.

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Teams are beating the crap out of each other. There's not a clear-cut favorite to win the conference, like an undefeated ASU.
In the words of the King...

Welcome to my world,
Won't you come on in
Miracles, I guess
Still happen now and then
Step into my heart
Leave your cares behind
Welcome to my world
Built with you in mind

OL FU
November 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Now consider this: Assuming the SoCon can maintain its strength, FU, in 2008, plays the SoCon schedule, Colgate away, Delaware at home and Virginia Tech for the moneyxeekx

CID1990
November 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Now consider this: Assuming the SoCon can maintain its strength, FU, in 2008, plays the SoCon schedule, Colgate away, Delaware at home and Virginia Tech for the moneyxeekx

All of which, VT included, are winnable.

CID1990
November 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Read David Coulson's article on sportsnetwork, and he explains the whole tiebreaker situation....

" It created a four-way logjam at the top of the standings and means that for only the second time in the 87-year history of the league that a team will win the football title with two or more league losses.

Elon can simplify things by winning on Saturday against The Citadel. That would give the Phoenix the auto bid should the four teams finish tied, or if Elon, Georgia Southern and Wofford end up on top.

In a multiple-team tie, the SoCon first looks at head-to-head meetings, and Elon would hold a 2-1 edge over the other three in a four-way deadlock, and a 2-0 advantage over GSU and Wofford.

Appalachian State has a scheduling edge with home games against Western Carolina and Chattanooga, the bottom feeders in the league. If ASU and Elon finish in a two-way tie, the Mountaineers would earn the auto bid due to their victory over the Phoenix.

Wofford, which has been laboring down the stretch, finishes its league schedule at Chattanooga. Should the Terriers win, they can only earn an auto bid if there is a two-team tie with Appalachian State, whom the Terriers beat. Wofford lost to both Elon and Georgia Southern.

Georgia Southern could gain the auto bid if it beats arch-rival Furman Saturday at home, and the Eagles get a loss from Elon. GSU beat ASU and Wofford. "

and later on....

"The Southern Conference will also be hoping for two or three at-large spots and you could make a case for three if the race remains tied.

Appalachian State will almost certainly be in with another win, considering it is the two-time defending national champion and the clout that will come from its win over Michigan.

Elon could point to a solid non-conference schedule and quality losses to South Florida and Appalachian State, along with the win over Wofford. Georgia Southern has a big win at ASU that ended the Mountaineers' 30-game home winning streak, and the victory over Wofford.

Wofford might have the toughest time getting in as an at-large, even with its win over Appalachian State, because the Terriers have faded down the stretch. "

If you haven't read it....here's the link he explains all the automatic bids and at-large...
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

Elon will not simplify things by winning this weekend, because they are not going to win this weekend.

You heard it here first.

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hey, at least you're HOME for our game. We have to play a ROAD I-AA game outside of the CAA. xeekx xsmiley_wix Our first three road games are @ Maryland, @ Furman and @ UMass. xeyebrowx

ERASU2113
November 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I love it more when it's more of a horse race to the finish. Not when the bid is already determined two-three weeks before the season is over.

Next season I think the streak of opening up with a FBS continues, when we travel to Gainesville...then Georgia in '09

ERASU2113
November 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM
This weekend I'm a Bulldog - Paladin - Mocs fan. Haha

Biff
November 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah, The Citadel is going to have a fun season next year.:D xnodx xsmhx xnonono2x xoopsx

SoCon usuals, Clemson, Florida, Charleston Southern, and some second rate school ... VMI.

That's right 2 FBS teams. We have pay for that stadium.

... and I guess I should wait on the VMI smack, that's next week.

CID1990
November 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah, The Citadel is going to have a fun season next year.:D xnodx xsmhx xnonono2x xoopsx

SoCon usuals, Clemson, Florida, Charleston Southern, and some second rate school ... VMI.

We're going to Death Valley looking for a "W".

Biff
November 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
As long as Bowden is there we have a shot.

OL FU
November 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Really I think we have 8 SoCon games next yearxeyebrowx that makes 12

Biff
November 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Well Clemson and Florida are definates, as well as the SoCon teams. I wouldn't think we would drop CSU or VMI, but who knows.

OL FU
November 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Well Clemson and Florida are definates, as well as the SoCon teams. I wouldn't think we would drop CSU or VMI, but who knows.

I don't know either, I am not even sure they will schedule all 8 games, I was assuming we would have an 8 game schedule.

The Moody1
November 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I love it more when it's more of a horse race to the finish. Not when the bid is already determined two-three weeks before the season is over.

Next season I think the streak of opening up with a FBS continues, when we travel to Gainesville...then Georgia in '09

We don't have an FBS on the schedule for 2008 as of yet. Here is a quote from the Winston Salem Journal. "The Mountaineers have games against BCS teams lined up for 2009 (LSU), 2010 (Florida), 2011 (Virginia Tech) and 2013 (Georgia Tech)."

I believe it is Georgia in 2013 not GT. Georgia is the game that was originally scheduled for '08.

Biff
November 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I don't know either, I am not even sure they will schedule all 8 games, I was assuming we would have an 8 game schedule.

I also went back to look at the article about our up-coming BCS scheduled teams and it says we play princeton next year as well. So VMI and/or CSU will have to be removed. I don't see us playing 13 games.

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=507412&SPID=3829&SPSID=43210

Biff
November 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
We don't have an FBS on the schedule for 2008 as of yet. Here is a quote from the Winston Salem Journal. "The Mountaineers have games against BCS teams lined up for 2009 (LSU), 2010 (Florida), 2011 (Virginia Tech) and 2013 (Georgia Tech)."

I believe it is Georgia in 2013 not GT. Georgia is the game that was originally scheduled for '08.

After your win over Michigan, I bet teams will be really prepared for ASU for the next few years.

CID1990
November 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I would rather drop CSU than VMI.

The Princeton series is supposed to be a home-and-home series, so we'll have them in 2009 as well if the deal holds.

ERASU2113
November 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I hadn't heard an update in awhile. Wasn't sure

terrierbob
November 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I think we have S. Car.

CID1990
November 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Elon will not simplify things by winning this weekend, because they are not going to win this weekend.

You heard it here first.

Never doubt CID1990.