PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in front of 50,000 fans, having beer tossed at me

Lumberjacks76
September 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
That's going to be my experience should NAU pull off the upset in Tucson over the UofA. I remember one year they threw beer cans and trash onto the field after UofA got smoked by Arizona State. Hopefully, they'll be nicer should NAU win.

We're going to be in the NAU student section, which is the "C" section portion of the stadium. I think NAU plans to have 5,000 or so fans at the game. Maybe less. But enough to bring the band.

Last year, we got soaked going into the stadium and had to duck under an arched doorway to get cover from the hail, rain and wind. I've never seen a storm that bad during the monsoons. Tucson got nailed that afternoon. Surprisingly, once kickoff arrived, the storm passed.

I'm bringing my camera, too, with new batteries and everything. I hope they let me take it into the stadium, because last time I wasn't sure and didn't bring it in.

Arizona stadium had a sign about bats. Yes, bats. Bats that fly around and can possibly have diseases. Ugh. Maybe that's just to scare off all the ASU fans. ;)

Paul :o

Black and Gold Express
September 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I remember thinking during the 1999 ASU/Auburn game that I was going to be lucky to avoid some kind of confrontation should ASU hold on and pull off the upset. The fans were getting pretty ugly at Auburn's inability to take the lead from us.

As it ended up, I think it was the best case scenario. We lost, but I personally got a ton of compliments about the team from Auburn fans. I heard quite a few "that wasn't a I-AA team out there" types of comments. One I remember in particular was an old man that came up to me as I was getting ready to leave my seat. He stuck his hand out and said the following:

"I wanted to wish you good luck the rest of the way. You guys got one hell of a football team. I'll be reading about you the rest of this season. And please, don't ever come back!" :)

Ivytalk
September 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Add 15,000 to that number, Lumberjack, and you'd have the upper deck scene at the old Vet Stadium in Philly! For the Eagles, not for Temple (subtract 45,000). ;)

JALMOND
September 9th, 2005, 01:59 PM
If NAU should beat Arizona, the Wildcat fans will probably be too shocked to do anything to you. If you do gloat too much about the victory, then consider yourself lucky if beer is all they throw on you.

blueballs
September 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM
You should go to a night game in Gainesville, FL (Univ of FL) if you think that is bad...

Marcus Garvey
September 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Wildcat fan here....

Nothing is going to happen to any NAU fans should the Jacks win. That's not how we operate in Tucson. Sure, there is the occasional a-hole, but it won't be a mob. Now, for an Arizona St. game, that's a completely different scenario.

I think Sun Devil fans are some of the most classless in the Pac-10. They're about the only group that can bring out the worst in Arizona fans. Of course, being the Wildcats' arch-rival helps too.

I'm hoping for a blowout, so I can leave at halftime and get some pizza and beer at the Frog 'n Firkin or maybe hit Gentle Ben's.

For NAU fans, I recommend Trident Bar and Grill on Speedway, just east of Cambell (About a 10 minute walk from the stadium). Good food, good beer selection, and it's just off the radar of fans attending games, so it won't be too crowded.

Cap'n Cat
September 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Wildcat fan here....

Nothing is going to happen to any NAU fans should the Jacks win. That's not how we operate in Tucson. Sure, there is the occasional a-hole, but it won't be a mob. Now, for an Arizona St. game, that's a completely different scenario.

I think Sun Devil fans are some of the most classless in the Pac-10. They're about the only group that can bring out the worst in Arizona fans. Of course, being the Wildcats' arch-rival helps too.

I'm hoping for a blowout, so I can leave at halftime and get some pizza and beer at the Frog 'n Firkin or maybe hit Gentle Ben's.

For NAU fans, I recommend Trident Bar and Grill on Speedway, just east of Cambell (About a 10 minute walk from the stadium). Good food, good beer selection, and it's just off the radar of fans attending games, so it won't be too crowded.

Marcus,
You're a classy dude.

:)

Lumberjacks76
September 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Does Tridant Bar have chicken wings? If they do, I'm there. The best chicken wings I've ever had were at Oregano's. Wings of Fire.

Paul

GSUhooligan
September 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Does Tridant Bar have chicken wings? If they do, I'm there. The best chicken wings I've ever had were at Oregano's. Wings of Fire.

Paul

I assume you've never been to Wild Wings in Charleston, SC. I know there's a few more locations, but Charleston has THE BEST WINGS EVER! Get your A.D. to play The Citadel or Charlie Southern and see what I mean.

Marcus Garvey
September 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Paul
Here's their menu:
http://www.dotucson.com/restaurant.asp?qry=1202
Looks like they do, but I couldn't tell you how good they are, but I've never been disapointed in anything I've ordered there.

If you want wings, then a place people in Tucson rave about is Long Wongs. It's on the corner of Sixth St. and Tucson Blvd., a half mile east of the Stadium. Sixth St. is the street behind the south endzone that practically comes up to the stadium. Just head away from campus and it's on the southwest corner at the next traffic light.

Lumberjacks76
September 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Awesome, thanks Marcus :)

Paul

MR. CHICKEN
September 9th, 2005, 08:31 PM
WANT GOOD WINGS......ASK DUH CHICKEN..........."THE QUAIL" FENWICK,DELAWARE!..............SLOWER DELAWARE...BEACH SCENE!......:nod:.....AWK!

OH YEAH....AN'......JACKS......GONNA GET WET...WIN O' LOSE!...ER...UH...UM...BUK...BUK....BUK...BRAWK!

SO TRY AN' WIN! :rotateh:

Lumberjacks76
September 9th, 2005, 10:34 PM
The most inspiring win I ever saw just took place: Ohio defeated Pittsburgh scoring no offensive touchdowns. NAU can do that. Just play with lots of heart and believe. B-E-L-I-E-V-E!

Paul

Granite
September 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM
The most inspiring win I ever saw just took place: Ohio defeated Pittsburgh scoring no offensive touchdowns. NAU can do that. Just play with lots of heart and believe. B-E-L-I-E-V-E!

Paul

That was a great game - of course, Ohio was playing at home. Not sure the same result would have happened at Pitt. That interception to win the game was amazingly similar to the one that happened earlier in the game.

One of the best college football wins I've ever been associated with was when UNH beat Rutgers last year in NJ. I know its Rutgers, but still - the chants of "high school athletes" that UNH heard coming onto the field stopped pretty quickly after that.