PDA

View Full Version : UD-DSU FB featured ESPN

henfan
November 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM
On Outside the Lines this Sunday (11/11) at 9:30 am EST.

WAITING GAME
They are located in one of the smallest states in the country, a mere 45-minute drive away from each other, but the University of Delaware and Delaware State University seem to be millions of miles apart. In their entire history of playing football, the Delaware Blue Hens and Delaware State Hornets have never met on the field for an in-state rivalry game. The non-rivalry between the two teams has long been a hot topic among the Delaware community and media. As the two teams play the waiting game, today "OTL" examines why Delaware hasn't played Delaware State in football.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/

Seahawks Fan
November 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I can't find the article.

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Will be tuning in. I will be surprised if it does anything but try to paint a bad picture of UD. xcoffeex

henfan
November 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Will be tuning in. I will be surprised if it does anything but try to paint a bad picture of UD. xcoffeex

If that's ESPN's aim, they won't have to try too hard. UD's given them more than enough ammo... regretfully. xsmhx

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
UD's given them more than enough ammo... regretfully. xsmhx
xeyebrowx xcoffeex

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
xbandwagonx

Dane96
November 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Wanna make a bet that if the playoff matchup we all think will happen actually occurs, ESPN will move programming to show this game.

This is all a pre-billing.

Cha-Ching; Cha-Ching--- Is part of what goes into all of this for ESPN.

That's twice in one year about this.

henfan
November 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I think Delaware's two FCS teams have games to win first before ESPN can pencil in a playoff matchup.

Dane96
November 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Yah....I said IF it happens.

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Wanna make a bet that if the playoff matchup we all think will happen actually occurs, ESPN will move programming to show this game.

This is all a pre-billing.

Cha-Ching; Cha-Ching--- Is part of what goes into all of this for ESPN.

That's twice in one year about this.
IMO it's no accident that ESPN chose THIS year at THIS time to run THIS story... It's NOT a new issue... but now there's a really good shot of this game happening this year. Not saying it's a conspiracy, just saying it's good hype. xcoffeex

DSUHornet
November 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I think Delaware's two FCS teams have games to win first before ESPN can pencil in a playoff matchup.

this true but if both win saturday, it is all but written in stone

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Here's the thing though. Granted, the press has been very critical of UD up until this point. But consider this:

* If UD and DSU win this weekend, like other posters said, the UD-DSU matchup has to be basically set in stone.
* If they win, you can pencil the game in for Friday afternoon at the Tub.
* If they win, you can virtually guarantee a sellout of this game at the Tub.

Also: could there be a better endorsement of why there should be a playoff system? You get to see dream matchups that for whatever reason have never happened. The publicity wouldn't only be about Delaware, it would be a national story about the matchup AND the playoffs. It's all wrapped up together.

IF it happens, it would be a transcendental game with a national appeal, with a LOT of benefits for UD. A sellout in round one would by no means been guaranteed with another opponent.

Dane96
November 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
89- Totally agree.

I can see it now:

Kirk H and the GameDay crew, Mark May/Lou Holtz and crew...my lord will this be fodder for all the faux do-gooders who will make this "THEIR" story:

"This is arguably the most important collegiate game since Don Haskins started 5 African-American players vs. Adolph Rupp's All-White team led by Captain Pat Riley. Arguably more important than Jim Brown wowing a nation, or the Morgan State Bears, led by a white coach, shocking the nation by fielding a competative lacrosse team in the 70's-- A sport dominated by the elitist ivory towers of white prepartory schools.

The implications and social importance coming out of one of the smallest and oldest states in the Union, far outweigh that of a mere clash on the gridiron.

This game will serve notice that there are still problems in America, however problems are often solved in the sometimes maligned specta of sport.

If this game, between historically important Universities in the State of Delaware, can somehow thaw relations and bring forth a new era of understanding and cooperation between the participants, it will far transcend the 126 men and coaches we will watch today; It will lead to an era of openess, acknowledgement, understanding, and cooperation across this great land that allows young men the opportunity to cross cultural and racial boundries every Saturday afternoon for 6 months."

Yep...I would imagine ESPN will pull some **** like that out of their hats...instead of focusing on the game. It's all about the Benji's to them.

Either way...this will be a GREAT game between two VERY GOOD FOOTALL TEAMS!

GannonFan
November 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Here's the thing though. Granted, the press has been very critical of UD up until this point. But consider this:

* If UD and DSU win this weekend, like other posters said, the UD-DSU matchup has to be basically set in stone.
* If they win, you can pencil the game in for Friday afternoon at the Tub.
* If they win, you can virtually guarantee a sellout of this game at the Tub.

Also: could there be a better endorsement of why there should be a playoff system? You get to see dream matchups that for whatever reason have never happened. The publicity wouldn't only be about Delaware, it would be a national story about the matchup AND the playoffs. It's all wrapped up together.

IF it happens, it would be a transcendental game with a national appeal, with a LOT of benefits for UD. A sellout in round one would by no means been guaranteed with another opponent.

I agree, a sellout would not be guaranteed with any other first round opponent, considering that UD's biggest "official" playoff crowd is something like 16k, and that was for a later round game. I'm not sure if a first round game at UD as ever "officially" been anything more than 12-14k. But I'm part of the group that doesn't think even a UD/DSU game will sell out, and won't even be close - maybe I'm wrong, but you won't know the game is going to be played for sure until 5-6 days before it happens, it will still be over Thanksgiving weekend, it could very well be on TV and that could deter people from leaving their homes to see it, and if it's on Friday you'll still have to contend with shopping as well as a good chunk of people who actually work on Thanksgiving Friday (there are many). Hey, I think there's certainly interest in seeing the game, I just don't know how that translates into people actually being at the game when there are so many other complications/events/committments.

henfan
November 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM
And the WNIT is in on the vast ESPN conspiracy. They matched up UD's and DSU's WBB teams for this evening's 1st Rounder in Newark.xlolx

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Kirk H and the GameDay crew, Mark May/Lou Holtz and crew...my lord will this be fodder for all the faux do-gooders will make this "THEIR" story:...
xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx

GannonFan
November 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM
And the WNIT is in on the vast ESPN conspiracy. They matched up UD's and DSU's WBB teams for this evening's 1st Rounder in Newark.xlolx

Maybe ESPN didn't know that UD/DSU have already played at least 8 times in women's basketball before this? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Rob Iola
November 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM
89- Totally agree.

I can see it now:

Kirk H and the GameDay crew, Mark May/Lou Holtz and crew...my lord will this be fodder for all the faux do-gooders will make this "THEIR" story:

Will Lou give DSU one of his patented pep talks?

Dane96
November 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I actually love those...it would be fun to see that!

henfan
November 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Maybe ESPN didn't know that UD/DSU have already played at least 8 times in women's basketball before this? xlolx xlolx xlolx

The WNIT's probably just relieved they didn't have to grease the wheels in the DE State Legislature to get tonight's basketball game played. UD could learn something from them. xsmiley_wix

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I love Lou, but those pep talks are too scripted for me.

Rob Iola
November 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
89- Totally agree.

I can see it now:

Kirk H and the GameDay crew, Mark May/Lou Holtz and crew...my lord will this be fodder for all the faux do-gooders who will make this "THEIR" story:

"This is arguably the most important collegiate game since Don Haskins started 5 African-American players vs. Adolph Rupp's All-White team led by Captain Pat Riley. Arguably more important than Jim Brown wowing a nation, or the Morgan State Bears, led by a white coach, shocking the nation by fielding a competative lacrosse team in the 70's-- A sport dominated by the elitist ivory towers of white prepartory schools.

The implications and social importance coming out of one of the smallest and oldest states in the Union, far outweigh that of a mere clash on the gridiron.

This game will serve notice that there are still problems in America, however problems are often solved in the sometimes maligned specta of sport.

If this game, between historically important Universities in the State of Delaware, can somehow thaw relations and bring forth a new era of understanding and cooperation between the participants, it will far transcend the 126 men and coaches we will watch today; It will lead to an era of openess, acknowledgement, understanding, and cooperation across this great land that allows young men the opportunity to cross cultural and racial boundries every Saturday afternoon for 6 months."

Yep...I would imagine ESPN will pull some **** like that out of their hats...instead of focusing on the game. It's all about the Benji's to them.

Either way...this will be a GREAT game between two VERY GOOD FOOTALL TEAMS!

Actually, if you think this through, the far more compelling story would be if they both make the tournament and AREN'T matched up in the first round - imagine the conspiracy theories! Especially if UD is home against, say, Fordham and DSU is sent to Montana.

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM

I actually love those...it would be fun to see that!
Did you happen to see the one where he did a magic trick with the newspaper? Blew me away. xlolx xnodx

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Actually, if you think this through, the far more compelling story would be if they both make the tournament and AREN'T matched up in the first round - imagine the conspiracy theories! Especially if UD is home against, say, Fordham and DSU is sent to Montana.
Especially since UD doesn't have anyone on the selection committee. xeyebrowx

Shellin
November 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Did you happen to see the one where he did a magic trick with the newspaper? Blew me away.

Yea, that one was pretty good. What made it even better was Reece Davis trying to perform the same trick after they got done showing Lou.

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
LOU'S......PRE-GAMER...TIRADE...TA STATE........."DEY WOULDN'T......COULDN'T PLAY US....O' DERE OWN FREE WILL...........WE HAVE EARNED DUH RIGHT.....SHARPTON & JESSE.....ARE ON DUH 50........WE PEE IN OURAH PROTECTIVE CUPS........AN' DUH WHOLE I-AA NATION...KNOWS DUH MEAC.......HAS AS MUCH PUNCH....AS DUH BIG FLUFFY SKY CONFERENCE.....OMAR CUFF IS HUMAN.....HE'S NOT BIONIC........FLACCO....IS TOTALLY CAPABLE O' PLAYIN'....LIKE UH WHITE MCNABB..........WE'VE WORKED HARD........HAD TA PUT UP WHIFF DEM DAMN.......RACE CARS............WE PULL DIS OFF........DERE'S CHICKEN....MELON........MAC/CHEESE.......AWAITIN'...IN OURAH HAPPY MEALS....FO' DUH BUS BACK TA DOVERAH...........WIN ONE FO' DUH RED 'N BLUE........SHAHEER.....LEAD US IN OURAH PRAYER............."GAWD HAS SENT YOU...TA ME".......PETER......BE ON DUH READY...WE COUNTIN' ON YA...WHIFF 6 SECONDS.....LEFT...............NOW GO OUT DERE AN' PLANT DAT STINGERAH.....RIGHT UP DERE EGG-HOLE"!.........xeekx...BRAWK!

DSUHornet
November 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM
you guys are tickling me with excitement (while maintaining masculine technique of course). i cant wait to take the field saturday. UD v.s. DSU!!
A long-time coming.

Seahawks Fan
November 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
you guys are tickling me with excitement (while maintaining masculine technique of course). i cant wait to take the field saturday. UD v.s. DSU!!
A long-time coming.

Let's hope it happens. Will be a great game. xthumbsupx

DSUHornet
November 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
LOU'S......PRE-GAMER...TIRADE...TA STATE........."DEY WOULDN'T......COULDN'T PLAY US....O' DERE OWN FREE WILL...........WE HAVE EARNED DUH RIGHT.....SHARPTON & JESSE.....ARE ON DUH 50........WE PEE IN OURAH PROTECTIVE CUPS........AN' DUH WHOLE I-AA NATION...KNOWS DUH MEAC.......HAS AS MUCH PUNCH....AS DUH BIG FLUFFY SKY CONFERENCE.....OMAR CUFF IS HUMAN.....HE'S NOT BIONIC........FLACCO....IS TOTALLY CAPABLE O' PLAYIN'....LIKE UH WHITE MCNABB..........WE'VE WORKED HARD........HAD TA PUT UP WHIFF DEM DAMN.......RACE CARS............WE PULL DIS OFF........DERE'S CHICKEN....MELON........MAC/CHEESE.......AWAITIN'...IN OURAH HAPPY MEALS....FO' DUS BUS BACK TA DOVERAH...........WIN ONE FO' DUH RED 'N BLUE........SHAHEER.....LEAD US IN OURAH PRAYER............."GAWD HAS SENT YOU...TA ME".......PETER......BE ON DUH READY...WE COUNTIN' ON YA...WHIFF 6 SECONDS.....LEFT...............NOW GO OUT DERE AN' PLANT DAT STINGERAH.....RIGHT UP DERE EGG-HOLE"!............BRAWK!

i'll pretend i didnt read this and leave it alone

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
LET'S TEE IT UP NOW!

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
i'll pretend i didnt read this and leave it alone

AH DIDN'T SAY IT.....LOU DID!.............xlolx....BRAWK!

RadMann
November 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I think it would be great if they meet in the playoffs. The problem I have with this whole ESPN "story" is the pressure to make this a regular game. As an alum of UD, I don't see it in UD's best interest if the games would be played at both schools (as would be the case if the series happened). Such a series is a big loser for UD.

R.A.
November 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I think it would be great if they meet in the playoffs. The problem I have with this whole ESPN "story" is the pressure to make this a regular game. As an alum of UD, I don't see it in UD's best interest if the games would be played at both schools (as would be the case if the series happened). Such a series is a big loser for UD.

ESPN is probably throwing cash at the schools right now so that their network can lock down this "rivalry" for years to come.

BlueHenBoy
November 9th, 2007, 09:10 PM
UD's biggest "official" playoff crowd is something like 16k, and that was for a later round game. I'm not sure if a first round game at UD as ever "officially" been anything more than 12-14k.

Your'e joking right?

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure if a first round game at UD as ever "officially" been anything more than 12-14k.At Newark:
11/30/91 JMU @ UD 14,905
11/29/97 HOF @ UD 14,075
11/29/03 SIU @ UD 14,572

Four times it was less than 14K.
11/28/92 Samford @ UD 11,364
11/25/95 HOF @ UD 13,295
11/25/00 PSU @ UD 12,945
11/27/04 LAF @ UD 13,757

OFFICIAL 2007 NCAAź DIVISION I FOOTBALL RECORDS BOOK p. 413-416

GannonFan
November 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Your'e joking right?

At Newark:
11/30/91 JMU @ UD 14,905
11/29/97 HOF @ UD 14,075
11/29/03 SIU @ UD 14,572

Four times it was less than 14K.
11/28/92 Samford @ UD 11,364
11/25/95 HOF @ UD 13,295
11/25/00 PSU @ UD 12,945
11/27/04 LAF @ UD 13,757

OFFICIAL 2007 NCAAź DIVISION I FOOTBALL RECORDS BOOK p. 413-416

Thanks - I don't joke on something like that. Of course, playoff attendances have been underreported, not only at UD, but many other places as well over the years.

Those stats aren't complete though - the quarterfinal game against Lehigh was very well attended - listed at just a little over 16k (the biggest playoff crowd, officially, ever) but tickets were very hard to come by at that game. I could see maybe 20k or 21k at that game, but 16k was a flat out lie.

Ud1Hens
November 9th, 2007, 09:59 PM
A little off topic...Delaware's Women's Basketball team beat Delaware St. in the opening round of the Women's Preseason NIT tonight.

89Hen
November 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Shocker, I was right. The segment was only half of the 30 minute show which is appropriate, because they showed about half the story.

Mentioned: showed newspaper quotes calling UD racist

Not Mentioned: didn't show newspaper quotes showing DSU says they want a home and home

Mentioned: disparity in stadium sizes

Not Mentioned: Delaware's 100% attendance figures for the last four years and a season ticket base that outnumbers DSU's capacity

Mentioned: A DII opponent that could be replaced

Not Mentioned: A DII opponent that has never asked for a home game

Mentioned: Both UD and DSU are in the Top 25

Not Mentioned: Nobody can remember the last time DSU was in the Top 25

xcoffeex

BlueHenBoy
November 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Great point. I think it did percieve Delaware as this big school that is afraid of a David-Galioth (sp?) situation.
If we were to play them and we crush them 3 straight years than what happens?
I do think it would benefit Delaware, publicity wise, and statistically wise. We need to get rid of that D2 team, so why not replace it with a 1-AA team of similar caliber. Also, the game could recieve national coverage which is always good for the program. Especially if you destroy a team that is supposed to be "decent".

DSUHornet
November 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM

We would need one! but i'll settle for Lavan's.

DSUHornet
November 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM

that would be pure and utter b.s. there would be so much talk about that

DSUHornet
November 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Great point. I think it did percieve Delaware as this big school that is afraid of a David-Galioth (sp?) situation.
If we were to play them and we crush them 3 straight years than what happens?
I do think it would benefit Delaware, publicity wise, and statistically wise. We need to get rid of that D2 team, so why not replace it with a 1-AA team of similar caliber. Also, the game could recieve national coverage which is always good for the program. Especially if you destroy a team that is supposed to be "decent".

these comments are shades of UD's QB's comments on the show,
"I havent heard much of them until a few weeks ago....Don't know much but i heard their pass defense isn't too good..."

i dont think there is any doubt that UD is a good team, some would even call them great on the offensive side of the ball. I also acknowledge that we've been in some situations this year that were suspect and testy to say the least, but at the same time, i dont appreciate being brushed off as a lack-luster opponent. contrary to popular belief, this WILL be a game, not a charity event.

Dane96
November 11th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Shocker, I was right. The segment was only half of the 30 minute show which is appropriate, because they showed about half the story.

Mentioned: showed newspaper quotes calling UD racist

Not Mentioned: didn't show newspaper quotes showing DSU says they want a home and home

Mentioned: disparity in stadium sizes

Not Mentioned: Delaware's 100% attendance figures for the last four years and a season ticket base that outnumbers DSU's capacity

Mentioned: A DII opponent that could be replaced

Not Mentioned: A DII opponent that has never asked for a home game

Mentioned: Both UD and DSU are in the Top 25

Not Mentioned: Nobody can remember the last time DSU was in the Top 25

xcoffeex

Did you really expect to get a fair shake? This is all about ESPN putting logs onto a mini-fire...to smoke it up for the big bonfire that will be UD-DSU opening up the playoffs.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM
My opinion is the UD ought to just schedule DSU and stop pussyfooting around. What is the BFD?

89Hen
November 11th, 2007, 08:38 PM
these comments are shades of UD's QB's comments on the show,
"I havent heard much of them until a few weeks ago....Don't know much but i heard their pass defense isn't too good..."
No offense Hornet, but that demonstrates that people hear what they want to hear. Flacco said the only thing he's worried about is their pass defense (as opposed to all this racism talk) and if it is not too good he'd be happy. xpeacex

T-Dog
November 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Can't wait for the inevitable game to be played in two weeks (I mean come on, does anyone expect this game not to be played as long as Deleware wins next week?) so this whole issue can be put to rest.

89Hen
November 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM
so this whole issue can be put to rest.
xconfusedx What will it put to rest? You think DSU won't want regular season games in the future?

BlueHen86
November 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
My opinion is the UD ought to just schedule DSU and stop pussyfooting around. What is the BFD?

What's the BFD about not playing it? Why do you care? People act as if some great injustice is taking place.
Last time I checked both DSU and UD were doing just fine without the game. I'd like to see the game played, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

89Hen
November 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
BTW, it was rather ironic how ESPN was showing the two schools.... white baby listening to a marching band vs. guy scratching records eating "soul food". They were trying their damnedest to put as much disparity between the two as they could.

mcveyrl
November 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I only got to watch the end of the segment, but the sound bites of Flacco did not make him look good IMO. I'm sure that he was in the middle with his comments, but they led off with

"To be honest, I hadn't heard of Del. St. until a few weeks ago..."

I think leading with that made him seem a little arrogant.

Also his comment on pass defense was, as pointed out above, that he did not care about anything except their pass defense and he HOPED it wasn't good

BlueHenBoy
November 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I think what he was trying to say was that he "hadn't heard of the DS talk until a couple weeks ago", but it came out as an arrogant statement. It's that great "education come first philosophy" at Delaware.

89Hen
November 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I only got to watch the end of the segment, but the sound bites of Flacco did not make him look good IMO. I'm sure that he was in the middle with his comments, but they led off with

xnodx Good editing. Notice they didn't show the question asked that led to that answer. Imagine this...

ESPN: "What did you know about about Delaware State before coming to the University of Delaware."

Flacco: "To be honest, I hadn't heard of Del. St. until a few weeks ago..."

xcoffeex

RadMann
November 11th, 2007, 10:26 PM
The whole issue all along is that DSU would demand a home game if a series were set up and that is not something UD wants. UD does not schedule OOC away games with an opponent that has a stadium of that size and with the lack of support DSU gets. Period. UD schedules OOC away games with programs like GSU, Navy, Furman, Maryland. That is why UD does not want to schedule DSU.

henfan
November 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM
UD dodged a bullet on this one. Thankfully, ESPN turned in another lazy piece of reporting, which basically exposed UD's 'dirty little secret' but did little in the way of investigative journalism. IMO, they wouldn't have had to dug too deep or resort to sterotypical images to get the story they were looking for.

Man, UD's AD Edgar Johnson couldn't have looked any less uncomfortable answering the question of whether race played a part in UD's avoidance. That dude was blinking more than Aunt Clara from Bewitched. xlolx

FTR, the issue of the two teams playing has not been DSU's insistance on a home game. That's inaccurate, though that apparently is a position that DSU will now be bargaining. The official reason, according to Johnson, has been UD's inability to find room on its schedule.

RadMann
November 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Hanfan: We all know that if a series were scheduled it would have to be a home-and-home to make the News Journal types happy. Otherwise they would claim that UD was being unfair to DSU to demand all games be played in Newark. UD knows this. Therefore the room can't be found on the schedule for a home-and-home series with DSU, and it should never be in my opinion. The "all games at Newark" scenario won't fly for the folks who yell racism because to them anything unfavorable to DSU is racist. Please let them meet in the playoffs (if UD can find a way to stop Nova's offense) so this can be permanently laid to rest.

HensRock
November 12th, 2007, 07:54 AM

He's not from Delaware. It's not suprising that he'd never heard of Delaware State. Ask 100 people on the street (not from Delaware) and see what response you get. Hell, Andy Hall said he had never heard of the University of Delaware until he transfered there.

henfan
November 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Hanfan: We all know that if a series were scheduled it would have to be a home-and-home to make the News Journal types happy. Otherwise they would claim that UD was being unfair to DSU to demand all games be played in Newark.

Historically, DSU has not asked for a home game and that was never a reason supplied by UD for not playing them. ("We don't have room on our schedule" has historically been UD's excuse.) The two previous times the UD agreed in principle to schedule DSU for two-game series, all four games were scheduled to take place in Newark.

Now, according to DSU's AD, his position, when he sits down with UD's AD at the end of the year, will be to request home-home series. According to UD CEO Pat Harker, who appears to favor a series, UD appears willing to play DSU in Newark and, instead of a home-home deal, he seems to prefer granting DSU more favorable financial terms if all of the games are played in Newark. The two sides should be able to work something out. At the very least, they'll be talking again. xthumbsupx

Bulldog87
November 12th, 2007, 08:33 AM
The whole issue all along is that DSU would demand a home game if a series were set up and that is not something UD wants. UD does not schedule OOC away games with an opponent that has a stadium of that size and with the lack of support DSU gets. Period. UD schedules OOC away games with programs like GSU, Navy, Furman, Maryland. That is why UD does not want to schedule DSU.Would UD be willing to play SCSU in a home and home? Your stadium holds 22,000 and ours holds 22,500. Travel shouldn't be an issue. UD has traveled to SC to play The Citadel before. We are always looking to upgrade our OOC schedule to allow us to get a playoff bid when we finish 9-2 or 8-3. There's also a potential solution for a home and home between UD and DSU. Hens get their home game in Newark. The AD's cut a deal with the city of Philadelphia and the Eagles for UD and DSU to meet at "The Linc" for the DSU home game. They could even use Franklin Field. This solves the attendance problem for DSU home games and gives both schools added publicity in one of the nation's largest cities. We'd love to hear from your AD at UD.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hanfan: We all know that if a series were scheduled it would have to be a home-and-home to make the News Journal types happy. Otherwise they would claim that UD was being unfair to DSU to demand all games be played in Newark...

The "all games at Newark" scenario won't fly for the folks who yell racism because to them anything unfavorable to DSU is racist.
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 09:08 AM
There's also a potential solution for a home and home between UD and DSU. Hens get their home game in Newark. The AD's cut a deal with the city of Philadelphia and the Eagles for UD and DSU to meet at "The Linc" for the DSU home game. They could even use Franklin Field. This solves the attendance problem for DSU home games and gives both schools added publicity in one of the nation's largest cities. We'd love to hear from your AD at UD.
xconfusedx Why go to the expense to play an away "home" game out of the state? There would still be 20,000 Hen fans and 5,000 DelSt fans. May as well play them all at the Tub and not fork out the HUGE dollars for somebody else's place.

Bulldog87
November 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM
xconfusedx Why go to the expense to play an away "home" game out of the state? There would still be 20,000 Hen fans and 5,000 DelSt fans. May as well play them all at the Tub and not fork out the HUGE dollars for somebody else's place.I would hope that DSU would have more than 5,000 fans for a game vs UD. Especially after they've been asking for this series for so long. I know that SCSU has been dying to play USC for years and we certainly had far more than 5,000 fans in Columbia. We've had a series with Benedict a D-2 school here that drew a overflow crowd of 25,000 to our stadium and was moved to USC's stadium and drew at least 40,000 each time we played them. In a good year we'd bring 5,000 or more to UD. You live up there and I don't so I'll take your word but you may be surprised how many DSU fans would show up for this game if tickets were available.

Ud1Hens
November 12th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I would hope that DSU would have more than 5,000 fans for a game vs UD. Especially after they've been asking for this series for so long. I know that SCSU has been dying to play USC for years and we certainly had far more than 5,000 fans in Columbia. We've had a series with Benedict a D-2 school here that drew a overflow crowd of 25,000 to our stadium and was moved to USC's stadium and drew at least 40,000 each time we played them. In a good year we'd bring 5,000 or more to UD. You live up there and I don't so I'll take your word but you may be surprised how many DSU fans would show up for this game if tickets were available.

I think what people are missing is the fact that there are not that many people who follow, or care about Delaware St. Football. It shows in their attendance numbers...even on homecoming they don't come within a 1000 of a sell-out. Sure if UD/DSU play you might have more than 5K DSU fans attending the game but I'd bet a ton of money they don't regularly go to games down at DSU. There is a severe lack of interest in DSU football once you leave the campus and maybe 1 mile of Dover. The parents care, the alumni seems to care, the students don't, but for your average Delaware resident they would rather root for UD than DSU.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I would hope that DSU would have more than 5,000 fans for a game vs UD. Especially after they've been asking for this series for so long. I know that SCSU has been dying to play USC for years and we certainly had far more than 5,000 fans in Columbia. We've had a series with Benedict a D-2 school here that drew a overflow crowd of 25,000 to our stadium and was moved to USC's stadium and drew at least 40,000 each time we played them. In a good year we'd bring 5,000 or more to UD. You live up there and I don't so I'll take your word but you may be surprised how many DSU fans would show up for this game if tickets were available.
You draw well for regular season games, DSU does not. Teams don't bring more fans to away games than they get at home. DSU has done a great job of bringing in some really high profile I-AA's to Dover, but their attendance is appalling for these games...

UMass = 1,750
Southern Illinois = 1,734

Bulldog87
November 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I think what people are missing is the fact that there are not that many people who follow, or care about Delaware St. Football. It shows in their attendance numbers...even on homecoming they don't come within a 1000 of a sell-out. Sure if UD/DSU play you might have more than 5K DSU fans attending the game but I'd bet a ton of money they don't regularly go to games down at DSU. There is a severe lack of interest in DSU football once you leave the campus and maybe 1 mile of Dover. The parents care, the alumni seems to care, the students don't, but for your average Delaware resident they would rather root for UD than DSU.I see your point.However I'm sure that there would be fans from other MEAC schools in your region attending the game also. This is common if our team is olaying far away and there's a good contest regionally. Say for example, Morgan State(Baltimore) was playing at FAMU. You'd get some Morgan State fans in Philly,UMES and Coppin State(Balitmore) both nonfootball MEAC schools would likely show up. You'd be suprised how big this game could be in PHilly every other year if marketed right and DSU could compete. This won't work for long if DSU gets blownout 3-4 times in a row like one poster mentioned. DSU wins a couple and you have larger crowds than you can imagine.

Griz0383
November 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I honestly thought you were joking about not playing each other! I saw the outside the lines story and was shocked. Montana VS Montana St is a huge event and many $$$$ are made from this game plus the smack talk is just plain fun! The State of Delaware needs this game and to deny the fans this game is crap! Shame on The Hens AD if he is the fool for not scheduling this game!

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Montana VS Montana St is a huge event and many $$$$ are made from this game plus the smack talk is just plain fun!
xcoffeex I could see coming from Montana how you could think this way, but the Griz and Cats have great followings. From the ESPN piece you'd think that DSU did too. That simply isn't the case. A couple years ago they somehow convinced UMass and SIU to come to Dover to play. Both of these teams were pretty hot and big names in I-AA. DSU failed to draw over 1,800 to either game. xsmhx

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I think what people are missing is the fact that there are not that many people who follow, or care about Delaware St. Football. It shows in their attendance numbers...even on homecoming they don't come within a 1000 of a sell-out. Sure if UD/DSU play you might have more than 5K DSU fans attending the game but I'd bet a ton of money they don't regularly go to games down at DSU. There is a severe lack of interest in DSU football once you leave the campus and maybe 1 mile of Dover. The parents care, the alumni seems to care, the students don't, but for your average Delaware resident they would rather root for UD than DSU.

our average attendance does not show our fan support. the majority of people interested in DSU football either don't or rarely attend games. contrary to popular belief, wilmington is chucked full of Delaware State fans who never come to the games because they are in Dover, but would surely show up if the game were to be played in the Tub. like i said i know one or two hundred that would be a sure count and that's just me personally. And where does this mentality that the students dont care come from? we have a very small student body on campus and of the few students we have, they show up. the games are all students, a few alumni, and a few from the visiting team.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM
for the record, the norfolk game sold out.

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM
our average attendance does not show our fan support. the majority of people interested in DSU football either don't or rarely attend games. contrary to popular belief, wilmington is chucked full of Delaware State fans who never come to the games because they are in Dover, but would surely show up if the game were to be played in the Tub. like i said i know one or two hundred that would be a sure count and that's just me personally. And where does this mentality that the students dont care come from? we have a very small student body on campus and of the few students we have, they show up. the games are all students, a few alumni, and a few from the visiting team.

Must be "REALLY BIG FANS" if they won't drive from Wilimington to Dover.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Must be "REALLY BIG FANS" if they won't drive from Wilimington to Dover.

it's almost an hour drive and let's not forget about the fact that some of them dont have means of transportation.

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM
it's almost an hour drive and let's not forget about the fact that some of them dont have means of transportation.

Please.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Please.

please what?

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 04:29 PM
please what?

A WHOLE hour. Do you think the 22,000+/- UD fans all travel less then an hour. Your attendence dictates your fan base and that has been paltry at best.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
A WHOLE hour. Do you think the 22,000+/- UD fans all travel less then an hour. Your attendence dictates your fan base and that has been paltry at best.

i'm a football fan and i'm not traveling over an hour to see anybody unless it's the non-playoff bound eagles of brotherly love. sue me.

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM
i'm a football fan and i'm not traveling over an hour to see anybody unless it's the non-playoff bound eagles of brotherly love. sue me.

Like I said, you don't have a fan base. Stadium size + attendence = fan base. UD has more season tickets than you stadium holds. Where you going to play them? Home and home is a joke.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Like I said, you don't have a fan base. Stadium size + attendence = fan base. UD has more season tickets than you stadium holds. Where you going to play them? Home and home is a joke.

No. West Chester being the reason that there "isnt any room" is a joke.
btw, i dont know if you even were paying attention but we never requested home and home.

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
btw, i dont know if you even were paying attention but we never requested home and home.

I thought you we were discussing your huge fan base but you want to change the subject. Nice try. Reality: You have no fan base so move on your beginning to bore me.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I thought you we were discussing your huge fan base but you want to change the subject. Nice try. Reality: You have no fan base so move on your beginning to bore me.

Reality: you dont need a fan base to take the field and whoop ass week after week.

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Reality: you dont need a fan base to take the field and whoop ass week after week.

Nice intelligent reply backed by facts. Have anything else intelligent to post. Start a smack thread and will talk about your "Whoop Ass".

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Nice intelligent reply backed by facts. Have anything else intelligent to post. Start a smack thread and will talk about your "Whoop Ass".

no need to. talkin gets done with the final score, sir.

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
our average attendance does not show our fan support. the majority of people interested in DSU football either don't or rarely attend games. contrary to popular belief, wilmington is chucked full of Delaware State fans who never come to the games because they are in Dover
Interesting that in my 23 years of living in Wilmington I never met a single DSU fan. xeyebrowx

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 05:29 PM
FWIW, I am 100 miles to Newark and have season tickets. The family next to me comes from Dover to Newark every week. The family behind me comes from Baltimore.

Do you think those that don't have transportation to Dover will find it to Newark?

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM
No problem, but that right there demonstrates the difference between your average Hen fan and your average Hornet fan. UD brings 10,000 to Annapolis for the Navy game. 3,000 to Williamsburg or Richmond or Harrisonburg.....

89Hen
November 12th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Actually, DSU did. xnodx

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Hey DSU Hornet, I was paying attention, I believe you and your fan base should pay attention or at least do some research of your own. I don't shoot from the hip. Following is the link. Read it and get back to me regarding attention span.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/SPORTS07/709300359/1002/SPORTS

By the way, it was in your home town paper.

putter
November 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I travel 230 miles/3 hours one way to watch the Griz. You could support your team if you truely are a fan?

Intrepid
November 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I live in Wilmington and I attended every DSU home games, distance is not really an issue but in Delaware aka Small Wonder if you don't have a car or a motorcycle, then you're doom...

cougarpines
November 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Who did you play? Ahh, Kent State. Ranked 127 by Sagarin, DSU ranked 143. Final score KS 38, DSU 7. Some mighty "Ass Whippen" going on there.

UD sagarin rank 80. Wonder what the line would be for that one.

Better watch what you ask for.

Griz0383
November 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM
It would be interesting to see the response from DSU fans to this game. I bet they would have a bunch of fans show up. Heck I would buy ticket and fly out and watch the game ! I know this game would become a huge event immediatly! Win or lose, doesn't matter as long as the game is played. I hope it happens!

Syntax Error
November 12th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Who did you play? Ahh, Kent State. Ranked 127 by Sagarin, DSU ranked 143. Final score KS 38, DSU 7. Some mighty "Ass Whippen" going on there.

Better watch what you ask for.smack goes on another board ---------->

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Better watch what you ask for.

hilarious how u pick one game out of a 9-1 record...look which game it is.
selective propoganda, that's all you're providing. look at the name of the forum, "any given saturday". meaning whether a team is ranked 200 or 2, they can take the field and win or get that ass handed to them without notice. and the last time i checked, neither team we were discussing was undefeated, meaning, invincibility is far from being dreamed about. and predicting games by the rankings - where have you been this fall? just wondering. fan-base nor money has a thing to do with the scoreboard at the end of the game. because every single team we beat this year has had a larger "fan-base" than us, but they still got their hearts broken and took home a nice little 'L' in the loss column for decoration.

DSUHornet
November 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I travel 230 miles/3 hours one way to watch the Griz. You could support your team if you truely are a fan?

i'm not saying there are no devoted fans out there, but he said, it's pretty go for your own when it comes to transportation. i play though so i don't have that problem.

cougarpines
November 13th, 2007, 03:55 AM
i'm not saying there are no devoted fans out there, but he said, it's pretty go for your own when it comes to transportation. i play though so i don't have that problem.

What? Translate.

cougarpines
November 13th, 2007, 04:10 AM
hilarious how u pick one game out of a 9-1 record...look which game it is.
selective propoganda, that's all you're providing. look at the name of the forum, "any given saturday". meaning whether a team is ranked 200 or 2, they can take the field and win or get that ass handed to them without notice. and the last time i checked, neither team we were discussing was undefeated, meaning, invincibility is far from being dreamed about. and predicting games by the rankings - where have you been this fall? just wondering. fan-base nor money has a thing to do with the scoreboard at the end of the game. because every single team we beat this year has had a larger "fan-base" than us, but they still got their hearts broken and took home a nice little 'L' in the loss column for decoration.

Talent not fans. See you on the smack board. Give me your analysis there.

OhioHen
November 13th, 2007, 06:54 AM

On game day in Newark, it's also an hour drive from Wilmington to the Tub! xnodx xnodx

89Hen
November 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM
It would be interesting to see the response from DSU fans to this game. I bet they would have a bunch of fans show up. Heck I would buy ticket and fly out and watch the game ! I know this game would become a huge event immediatly!
Can I hold you to that? xeyebrowx xcoffeex

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM
What? Translate.

i'm not saying there are no devoted fans out there, but as he said, it's pretty much go for your own as far as transportation. i play on the team though, so i dont have to worry about it.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The State of Delaware needs this game and to deny the fans this game is crap!

xconfusedx

Wow. What a ridicuous, uninformed statement. Yet it was typed with such conviction. xrolleyesx

Please provide some research to back up your assertation that the state of Delaware needs this game. xcoffeex

Even better, please provide some research that demonstrates how many people in Delaware would even want, much less care, about this game. xeyebrowx

Oh, never mind...you don't need facts. You have a...vision (?)...of what is needed.

xwhistlex

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
i dont know that the state of delaware "needs" this game, but it would definately be good to get some vibes going on through the state and work up some buzz about football now that it is being acknowledged that we have TWO good football clubs in the state.

OhioHen
November 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM
i dont know that the state of delaware "needs" this game, but it would definately be good to get some vibes going on through the state and work up some buzz about football now that it is being acknowledged that we have TWO good football clubs in the state.

The recent success of DSU brings it to three good football teams in Delaware. The Wesley Wolverines have been successful for a number of years.

In an earlier incarnation of the "Should UD play DSU?" debate, it was frequently noted that Wesley might provide better in-state competition for the Hens at that point in time (or that DSU should prove themselves to be the best college team in Dover before requesting a game in Newark).

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
The recent success of DSU brings it to three good football teams in Delaware. The Wesley Wolverines have been successful for a number of years.

In an earlier incarnation of the "Should UD play DSU?" debate, it was frequently noted that Wesley might provide better in-state competition for the Hens at that point in time (or that DSU should prove themselves to be the best college team in Dover before requesting a game in Newark).

isnt Wesley DIII?

henfan
November 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM
i dont know that the state of delaware "needs" this game, but it would definately be good to get some vibes going on through the state...

Hornet, you're apparently in good company with that belief.

"It [makes] perfect sense to me to play Delaware State. It would be a good rivalry, good for the state and the two teams, and a nice event."
David Harker, Univ. of Delaware, Wilm. News Journal, 18 Oct. 2007

"A football game between Delaware and Delaware State would be such a
wonderful thing for the state." s
Nate Beasley, former DSU & UD football great, Wilm. News Journal, 23 Sept. 2007

"I think it would be great for the state, and then I wouldn't have to
worry about every time we play a I-AA outside of the conference having
to have this discussion."
KC Keeler, UD Head Coach, DE State News, 24 Sept. 2007

"Next year, let's take West Chester off the schedule and play them [the Hornets]. It would be good for the morale of the whole state."
Omar Cuff, UD running back, Wilm. News Journal, 30 Sept. 2007

xthumbsupx

Bulldog87
November 13th, 2007, 11:22 AM
xconfusedx

Wow. What a ridicuous, uninformed statement. Yet it was typed with such conviction. xrolleyesx

Please provide some research to back up your assertation that the state of Delaware needs this game. xcoffeex

Even better, please provide some research that demonstrates how many people in Delaware would even want, much less care, about this game. xeyebrowx

Oh, never mind...you don't need facts. You have a...vision (?)...of what is needed.

xwhistlexQuestion,Which games would more people in Delaware care about? UD vs DSU or UD vs West Chester? UD vs DSU or UD vs Albany? This will likely be settled sunday when the games are set. DSU,you need to win outright or play a very competitve game. Your "Fanbase" needs to showup enmass. Whether you're ranked ahead of the Hens or not don't expect a home game. Your stadium can't handle the crowd. IF UD smashes you your arguement for this game becomes the same as your reasoning for them to play you as opposed to West Chester. UD will be able to put both of you in the same catergory andthey have a longstanding rivarly with WC already. Seize the day while you have the chance. You killed our playoff hopes. Good luck to you as the lone MEAC rep.

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Question,Which games would more people in Delaware care about? UD vs DSU or UD vs West Chester? UD vs DSU or UD vs Albany? This will likely be settled sunday when the games are set. DSU,you need to win outright or play a very competitve game. Your "Fanbase" needs to showup enmass. Whether you're ranked ahead of the Hens or not don't expect a home game. Your stadium can't handle the crowd. IF UD smashes you your arguement for this game becomes the same as your reasoning for them to play you as opposed to West Chester. UD will be able to put both of you in the same catergory andthey have a longstanding rivarly with WC already. Seize the day while you have the chance. You killed our playoff hopes. Good luck to you as the lone MEAC rep.

as a man and a scholar i was taught never to make gaurantees but one that i will make here and now is that we will show up for this game and lay or pads on the turf for victory. i cannot gaurantee we will have one fan in attendance but i can gaurantee 11 players on the field for every play giving it all they've got. and when it's all said and done; win, lose, or draw, all 20+ thousand UD fans in attendance will know that DSU is a respectable football program.

Bulldog87
November 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM
as a man and a scholar i was taught never to make gaurantees but one that i will make here and now is that we will show up for this game and lay or pads on the turf for victory. i cannot gaurantee we will have one fan in attendance but i can gaurantee 11 players on the field for every play giving it all they've got. and when it's all said and done; win, lose, or draw, all 20+ thousand UD fans in attendance will know that DSU is a respectable football program.Congrats on being a DSU MEAC championship player although you ruined my homecoming,season and 20 year class reunion with one 40 yard field goal with 2 seconds left. Just make sure that your squad represents your school and the MEAC well. If you guys get UD their coach will likely attempt to do a "Bellicheck" on you guys. Good luck. I'll be rooting for you guys to win it all. Make the MEAC proud.

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Congrats on being a DSU MEAC championship player although you ruined my homecoming,season and 20 year class reunion with one 40 yard field goal with 2 seconds left. Just make sure that your squad represents your school and the MEAC well. If you guys get UD their coach will likely attempt to do a "Bellicheck" on you guys. Good luck. I'll be rooting for you guys to win it all. Make the MEAC proud.

What the heck does that mean???????????? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

cougarpines
November 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM
What the heck does that mean???????????? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I think he means run up the score. Nah, need to save the players for the next game. Pulled Cuff, Flacco etc. at half against WC and Monmoth. Would do the same against DSU.

Bulldog87
November 13th, 2007, 11:42 AM
What the heck does that mean???????????? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedxThe Patriots HC seems to be hell bent on running up the score on all opponents this season. It seems some UD fans,coaches and adminstration people feel that playing DSU is a nusisance and something they'd rather not deal with. The UD coach and AD seemed disturbed even discussing this on "Outside The Lines". The only one that appeared to actually want the game from UD was the new president. It's likely if given the chance the head coach and AD would love to beat DSU as bad as they can and try to hush the talk about future games just like Bellicheck is running up the score to quiet the "Spygate" charges.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
The Patriots HC seems to be hell bent on running up the score on all opponents this season. It seems some UD fans,coaches and adminstration people feel that playing DSU is a nusisance and something they'd rather not deal with. The UD coach and AD seemed disturbed even discussing this on "Outside The Lines". The only one that appeared to actually want the game from UD was the new president. It's likely if given the chance the head coach and AD would love to beat DSU as bad as they can and try to hush the talk about future games just like Bellicheck is running up the score to quiet the "Spygate" charges.

And so another conspiracy theory begins by a person who knows nothing but wants to say something. xrolleyesx

HensRock
November 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The Patriots HC seems to be hell bent on running up the score on all opponents this season. It seems some UD fans,coaches and adminstration people feel that playing DSU is a nusisance and something they'd rather not deal with. The UD coach and AD seemed disturbed even discussing this on "Outside The Lines". The only one that appeared to actually want the game from UD was the new president. It's likely if given the chance the head coach and AD would love to beat DSU as bad as they can and try to hush the talk about future games just like Bellicheck is running up the score to quiet the "Spygate" charges.

On the contrary, I would think "running up the score" would only make matters worse as DSU would want the opportunity to avenge such an act.

As strong as our offense is this year, we "run it up" on everyone.
As strong as our defense is this year, unfortunately, everyone "runs it up" on us as well. xoopsx

I think Hen fans can expect every game to be a track meet from here on out.

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
And so another conspiracy theory begins by a person who knows nothing but wants to say something. xrolleyesx

its not a consipiracy theory, its more like common sense.
if you dont want to play or be bother by someone, you beat them as bad as you can so they dont ask to be played anymore.

GannonFan
November 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Nah, if we're up by a big score, the starters are coming out. This is the playoffs, there's another round the following week. No sense risking injury to guys like Flacco, Cuff, and everyone else when the big prize is still weeks away.

As for looking "disturbed", hey, when you're being interviewed by a group, ESPN, that has called you "racists" for not playing a football game (but while playing in 10 other sports), without so much as providing evidence for that claim, I'm sure it's a bit tense.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
if you dont want to play or be bother by someone, you beat them as bad as you can so they dont ask to be played anymore.

That "bully" stuff only works on weak people.

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM
That "bully" stuff only works on weak people.

not when you think about it. a smart club would take that into consideration and take at least a few years before they request a game again to be sure that they avenge it and not repeat it.

cougarpines
November 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM

What about that "Ass Whoppin" that was talked about. Are we back peddling or posturing.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
not when you think about it. a smart club would take that into consideration and take at least a few years before they request a game again to be sure that they avenge it and not repeat it.

History is a lot longer than a few years.

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
History is a lot longer than a few years.

of course. and we are going to request another game no matter what. if the game is close, or we win, we are going to start requesting the day after the game. if it is a unreasonable blowout, we will wait a few seasons. there is no way to stop it for sure but you can pause it for a season or two.

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM
What about that "Ass Whoppin" that was talked about. Are we back peddling or posturing.

all you gotta do is read the posts, pal. just as i said, we have never had a bigger "fan-base" than our opponents this season and we still managed to leave with that little "W" in the scores column for 9 out of 10 games. whether you win by 40 or by 3, you get out there, you put your cleets in the grass and you put your pads on somebody and you get your job done.

cougarpines
November 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM
all you gotta do is read the posts, pal. just as i said, we have never had a bigger "fan-base" than our opponents this season and we still managed to leave with that little "W" in the scores column for 9 out of 10 games. whether you win by 40 or by 3, you get out there, you put your cleets in the grass and you put your pads on somebody and you get your job done.

Go to the smack thread. I laid out the strength of you schedule and your performance.

YoUDeeMan
November 13th, 2007, 12:28 PM
of course. and we are going to request another game no matter what. if the game is close, or we win, we are going to start requesting the day after the game. if it is a unreasonable blowout, we will wait a few seasons. there is no way to stop it for sure but you can pause it for a season or two.

A few years off is nothing. Keeler has said he wants to stay at UD for a while.

So again, what is the point of blowing a team out in order to hush them up? xeyebrowx

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Go to the smack thread. I laid out the strength of you schedule and your performance.

you've done nothing more than say what you've already stated and have done more than my share for me by posting our season's results (9-1, one loss coming from an fbs school)

cougarpines
November 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
you've done nothing more than say what you've already stated and have done more than my share for me by posting our season's results (9-1, one loss coming from an fbs school)

And a strong FBS foe it is.xlolx

Oldhen
November 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM
we have never had a bigger "fan-base" than our opponents this season and we still managed to leave with that little "W" in the scores column for 9 out of 10 games

I can remember a lot of post-graduate conversions into die-hard DSU football fans back in the Pursycki/Collick years. Folks I knew Downstate that didn't give a rip about DSU football as undergrads started clambering on the bandwagon.

Give Lavan a few more years and quality transfers. He's got the program headed in the right direction, and it looks like Sessoms is getting on board.

By the time UD-DSU can be scheduled semi-regularly, it ought to be quality football each and every game.

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM
A few years off is nothing. Keeler has said he wants to stay at UD for a while.

So again, what is the point of blowing a team out in order to hush them up? xeyebrowx

so you hear it only once every two or three years instead of nonstop every year.

DSUHornet
November 13th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I can remember a lot of post-graduate conversions into die-hard DSU football fans back in the Pursycki/Collick years. Folks I knew Downstate that didn't give a rip about DSU football as undergrads started clambering on the bandwagon.

Give Lavan a few more years and quality transfers. He's got the program headed in the right direction, and it looks like Sessoms is getting on board.

By the time UD-DSU can be scheduled semi-regularly, it ought to be quality football each and every game.

of course. Lavan no doubt is a good coach. these two upcoming years we will probably bring in our best recruits yet. and sessoms, though hated by the student body, is putting the school, especially the athletic department in position to do some great things.

Intrepid
November 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Al Lavan will get a raise or contract extension when the season is over...will be well-deserved.

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Al Lavan will get a raise or contract extension when the season is over...will be well-deserved.

LAVAN WON'T HANG 'ROUND DOVERAH.......TOO LONG........WHIFF DUH PREMIUM ON BLACK COACHES IN FBS LAND.......HE'LL BE SNAPPED UP B/FO' TO LONG.........IFIN' YA CAN PRODUCE WINNIN' WHIFF YER FACILITIES & CROWDS.........AH'D SAY...HE'LL BOLT...WHEN OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS......BRAWK!

Intrepid
November 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM
[/B]

LAVAN WON'T HANG 'ROUND DOVERAH.......TOO LONG........WHIFF DUH PREMIUM ON BLACK COACHES IN FBS LAND.......HE'LL BE SNAPPED UP B/FO' TO LONG.........IFIN' YA CAN PRODUCE WINNIN' WHIFF YER FACILITIES & CROWDS.........AH'D SAY...HE'LL BOLT...WHEN OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS......BRAWK!

Well, people said the same thing about BB coach Greg and he still around. I hope Al can stay around Dover for a couple more years though or else it going to be 1992-2002 seasons all over again for DSU.

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM
No, Al Lavan is comitted. he is looking to make the Hornets his team. he has had us get better and better every single year. and if we finish with one loss this year, theres only one place to go to get better. Lavan will stay. and the Hornets will get more publicity and more notarized each year he's there. bigger audiences and better facilities are already promised to come.

cougarpines
November 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM
No, Al Lavan is comitted. he is looking to make the Hornets his team. he has had us get better and better every single year. and if we finish with one loss this year, theres only one place to go to get better. Lavan will stay. and the Hornets will get more publicity and more notarized each year he's there. bigger audiences and better facilities are already promised to come.

You can't be that nieve. Do you think if an offer from a top tier FCS or bottom tier FBS school came along he wouldn't bolt. A MEAC school with no tradition, no fan base, no notoriety and waiting for an infrastructure to be built. By the way, who promised and can offer a bigger audience. Also, I don't think you want to be " more notarized".

YoUDeeMan
November 14th, 2007, 09:16 PM
so you hear it only once every two or three years instead of nonstop every year.

I admire your spunk, but you really don't know much about Delaware, do you? xeyebrowx Are you even from Delaware????

With KT on board, we see it every year in TNJ. Every year. xnodx

And with henfan around, we see it on every football message board, too. :p

It took Pearman's slanderous and unsubstantiated garbage to make UD-DSU a small national story. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a flame job, so long as it promotes an agenda. xrolleyesx

YoUDeeMan
November 14th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I respect Lavan and Sessoms. They are both trying to do good things at DSU. While people are jumping on Lavan's wagon, it is too bad your student body - and some of those clowns on your board - can't see beyond their noses when looking at your president's ideas.

And if you think DSU will get a significant upgrade in their football facilities anytime soon, then you do not know Delaware politics and you certainly do not know the current financial issues that face the state (psssssst...there is not a lot of money for new football facilities).

xwhistlex

DSUHornet
November 14th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I admire your spunk, but you really don't know much about Delaware, do you? xeyebrowx Are you even from Delaware????
With KT on board, we see it every year in TNJ. Every year. xnodx

And with henfan around, we see it on every football message board, too. :p

It took Pearman's slanderous and unsubstantiated garbage to make UD-DSU a small national story. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a flame job, so long as it promotes an agenda. xrolleyesx

Nah, i'm not from delaware, i'm from dade, florida. all i know is what goes on in the locker room and in the conversations amongst coaches, staff, and the president. not really into the state budget and all of that. i know that there is alot of promise with our club and that sessoms is in position to make alot of things happen, not only that but he wants to do them.