PDA

View Full Version : For Your Pleasure - My Bracketology

Go Apps
November 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Here are a few clarifications for who is and who is eligible for the playoff field:

The Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs by decree of the Ivy school presidents.; - The SWAC will send its division champions to the SWAC title game on Dec. 16, so only second place teams and below are playoff eligible. -The Great West Conference does not have an automatic bid, but both Cal Poly and Southern Utah are playoff eligible. UC Davis, North Dakota State and South Dakota State are in their transitional phase from Division II football and are not playoff eligible.; - The five-team Big South Conference’s teams are eligible for the playoffs, but the league does not have an automatic bid. The MAAC, NEC and PFL are also eligible for the playoffs, but do not have an automatic bid.

Below, take a look at the prospects of I-AA teams that can still entertain realistic playoff hopes. Schools are ranked by their chances of making the field as determined by Me. Current overall and conference records are in parentheses, and each team’s remaining schedule is listed with a brief synopsis of its chances.

1. Northern Iowa (9-0, 5-0 Gateway)
The Games: Indiana State (11/18), Southern Utah (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Panthers are sitting pretty! With a strong conference and undefeated record thus far, there is little doubt they will be a top 4 seed, assuming they win out. The #1 seed belongs to them, even with a loss they get a top 2 seed.

2. Montana (9-0, 6-0 Big Sky)
The Games: at Idaho State (11/10), at Montana State (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Grizzlies sit in this position due to their unbeaten record and past history. The #2 seed is theirs, just win out, (that may be a tougher task) One loss puts them in a tough position, with the conference down, they could slide right out of the top 4 seeds depending on other teams waiting.

3. McNeese State (9-0, 5-0 Southland)
The Games: Northwestern State (11/10), Central Arkansas (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Cowboys are in as the Southland Conference representative. If they loose, the Cowboys could possibly fall out of the top 4 seeds, and a tough contest in their last game will have definite implications on seeding.

4. Delaware (8-1, 5-1 CAA)
The Games: Richmond (11/10), at Villanova (11/18)

Outlook: IN The Blue Hens are back in the drivers seat leading the CAA towards the playoffs. The bad news is that this is a dangerous spot, two tough games will put Delaware to the test! Even with 2 losses to end the season, a win over Navy and tough conference puts them in the field. Win out and you get a top 4 seed.

5. Southern Illinois (8-1, 4-1 Gateway)
The Games: Illinois State (11/10), at Hampton (11/18)

Outlook: IN With their only loss to top ranked Northern Iowa the Salukis are in great shape! If they can win out and have Delaware loss, they would be in consideration for a top 4 seed.

6. Appalachian State (7-2, 3-2 SoCon)
The Games: Western Carolina (11/10), UTC (11/18)

Outlook: A 9-2 regular season record looks to be a lock based on the remaining schedule. Forget about the SoCon AQ spot, the Mountaineers are in great shape and will be watching the S. Ill, Delaware and McNeese St scores, if two of those three loose, ASU will get a top 4 seed. Regardless, Mountaineers will definitely host a first round game, look for them to be televised on ESPN the Friday after Thanksgiving, count on it!

7. Fordham (8-2, 5-0 Patriot)
The Games: Bucknell (11/17)

Outlook: AQ The Patriot title is wrapped up and that puts Fordham in the playoffs. A likely matchup with a CAA team looks to be a lock.

8. Cal Poly (6-3, 2-1 Great West)
The Games: at NDSt (11/10), Iona (11/17)

Outlook: Cal Poly is a lock with wins in their last two games, if they can beat NDST, there is no denying this team, therefore they rank high in potential.

9. Massachusetts (7-2, 5-1 CAA)
The Games: N. Hampshire (11/10), at Hofstra (11/18)

Outlook: UMass was cruising along until last weekend and now things aren’t looking so good. However winning out will put UMass back in thick of things, only two straight losses keeps them out of this post season! Losses by multiple teams could get them back in the talks of a top 4 seed.

10. Delaware State (8-1, 7-0 MEAC)
The Games: Norfolk State (11/10), Howard (11/17)

Outlook: The Hornets need a win Saturday to capture the autobid. A loss could take them out of playoff consideration all together. But a still in talks if they finish with two losses.

11. Elon (6-3, 4-2 SoCon)

Outlook: The SoCon’s surprise team of the year, now finds themselves in a must win situation! Win the last two and you are in, a loss will keep you home for the holidays, for the Phoenix, the playoffs begin Saturday.

12.Georgia Southern (7-2, 4-2 SoCon)
The Games: Furman (11/10), at Colorado State (11/17)

Outlook: Let’s all say it together, THE EAGLES ARE BACK! At 8-3 with a great resume will definitely put GSU in the post season. However they have two very difficult games remaining, a win in either game puts them in, no doubt. Win the last two and losses by ASU, McNeese, Delaware, and S. ILL will position GSU for a top 4 seed. Either way GSU would host a first round game.

13. Richmond (7-2, 5-1 CAA)
The Games: at Delaware (11/10), William & Mary (11/17)

Outlook: The Spiders are on the rise, but this weekend will determine how far they have come. Either way an 8-3 record I believes gets them in the post season.

14. Eastern Kentucky (7-2, 6-0 OVC)
The Games: at Austin Peay (11/10), Tenn Tech (11/17)

Outlook: The Colonels have been the best of the OVC, but a loss this weekend will cause another conference mess. A win this weekend gets them the Autobid, a loss and their post season future could be in jeopardy. A win also makes the rest of the country breathe a sigh of relief.

15. Wofford (7-3, 4-2 SoCon)
The Games: at UTC (11/10)

Outlook: The Terriers continue to lurk. They could win the Autobid, but even at 8-3 they find themselves hoping for losses around the country. A strong conference and a win over ASU gets them in at 8-3.

16. Eastern Washington (6-3, 4-2 Big Sky)
The Games: at Northern Arizona (11/10), Weber State (11/17)

Outlook: EW must win their final two games to stay in the hunt, NAU will be a tough test. A down year for the Big Sky puts them on the bubble. EW has to hope that Cal Poly losses this weekend to better position yet another team from out West.

17. Hofstra (7-2, 4-2 CAA)
The Games: at Northeastern (11/10), UMass (11/17)

Outlook: Hofstra made a statement last week and kept their name on the post season list. But the Pride must find a way to win their last two games to ensure a spot in the post season.

18. New Hampshire (6-3, 3-3 CAA)
The Games: at UMass (11/10), Maine (11/17)

Outlook: The Wildcats in a must win situation to finish the season. Last week’s loss may have doomed their post season hopes. Bottom line UNH will need to dig deep and beat a strong UMass team to keep hope alive.

19. James Madison (6-3, 4-2 A-10)
The Games: at William & Mary (11/10), Towson (11/17)

Outlook: The Dukes probably have to be worried at this point. First they must win out and they need for others to loose. With so many good teams from the CAA, JMU appears to be at the bottom of that list.

20. Norfolk State (7-2, 6-1 MEAC)
The Games: at Delaware State (11/10), Winston Salem State (11/17)

Outlook: Win the next two and Autobid is yours, a loss and you are out of playoff consideration!

21. Eastern Illinois (6-3, 5-1 OVC)
The Games: at Jacksonville State (11/10), Samford (11/17)

Outlook: The Panthers will earn strong consideration if they can win out, a Autobid is still possible but not likely.

22. Holy Cross (6-3, 3-1 Patriot)
The Games: Layfayette (11/10), Colgate (11/17)

Outlook: Wins in the final two games gives strong consideration, the Colgate game will eliminate either from playoff talks, however a few losses around the country and we may see two from the Patriot League. This is beginning to look like Layfayette two years ago, so don’t be surprised to see history repeat itself and perhaps a trip to Boone!

23. Colgate (6-3, 3-1 Patriot)
The Games: at Georgetown (11/10), at Holy Cross (11/17)

Outlook: See above

24. Alabama A&M (7-2, 5-2 SWAC)
The Games: at Alcorn State (11/10), at Praire View (11/17)

Outlook: Must win out and worthy of talking about, but their inability to win their own conference will likely end post season consideration.

25. Jacksonville State (6-3, 5-1 OVC)
The Games: Eastern Illinois (11/10), at SE MO St (11/17)

Outlook: Lots of options still remaining for Jacksonville State, but right now they need to win out, anything less puts them out of consideration.

26. Austin Peay (6-3, 4-2 OVC)
The Games: EKU (11/10), at Murray State (11/17)

Outlook: The key here is to win out and hope for a bag full of upsets, not impossible, but not likely!

Below are my current projections for the I-AA playoff field and possible matchups, based on expectations for the remaining games this season.

Automatic Bids: Patriot: Fordham, A10: Delaware, Big Sky: Montana, Southland: McNeese State, Southern: Elon, Gateway: Northern Iowa, MEAC: Delaware State, OVC: Eastern Kentucky.

At-large: Appalachian State, Colgate, Eastern Washington, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Illinois State, UMass, Richmond, Southern Illinois, and Wofford.

Seeds: Northern Iowa, Montana, McNeese State, Delaware.

Bracket I: E.Washington at No. 1 Northern Iowa; Fordham at Massachussetts;
Delaware State at No. 4 Delaware; Colgate at Appalachian State.

Bracket II: Hofstra at No. 2 Montana; EKU at S. Illinois;
Elon at No. 3 McNeese State; Richmond at Georgia Southern.

bluehenbillk
November 9th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Great work!! That's what I miss most about SN, I barely look over there anymore. AppState @ UD 2nd round, that would be a battle.

msupokes1
November 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Looks good. I disagree with one thing. I think that if UNI loses (not likely) I don't think they would get a top two seed. Maybe top 4 (Unlikely).

PurpleandGold
November 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I also think that Illinois State is a very long shot for an at-large bid.

I also think you're wrong about JMU on the bottom of the pile o' CAA contenders. We're at least ahead of UNH, but hopefully UMASS will settle that for us this weekend.

McNeese72
November 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Outlook: AQ The Cowboys are in as the Southland Conference representative. If they loose, the Cowboys could possibly fall out of the top 4 seeds, and a tough contest in their last game will have definite implications on seeding.

We aren't "loose". Actually things are pretty tight down here. :)

Doc

JaxSinfonian
November 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
That's what I miss most about SN, I barely look over there anymore.

Previous holders of the I-AA/FCS job there took a much more comprehensive approach to discussing teams, picking games, etc. I stop by every now and then, but not often ... there's just very little to read that pertains to my team or its conference. I don't mean this as a disparagement of SN's current FCS writer; I just remember being amazed at the sheer bulk of what Moss & Dougherty produced each week. I presume Coulson will be providing commentary on the ESPN News selection show in a couple of weeks, as his predecessors did. It'll be interesting to see what he has to say.

Nice job, Go Apps.

Go Apps
November 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Don't beat me up too bad - not a writer - just enjoy seeing this type of view as we head into the final weeks - just an opinion on many fronts - but I will update after this weekend's activities:))

FCS Preview
November 9th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Below are my current projections for the I-AA playoff field and possible matchups, based on expectations for the remaining games this season.

Automatic Bids: Patriot: Fordham, A10: Delaware, Big Sky: Montana, Southland: McNeese State, Southern: Elon, Gateway: Northern Iowa, MEAC: Delaware State, OVC: Eastern Kentucky.

At-large: Appalachian State, Colgate, Eastern Washington, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Illinois State, UMass, Richmond, Southern Illinois, and Wofford.

Bracket I: E.Washington at No. 1 Northern Iowa; Fordham at Massachussetts;

So you are projecting an 18-team field? I don't think Illinois State (4-6) will be getting much At-large consideration though...

Go Apps
November 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Fixed my mistake! Sorry

HiHiYikas
November 9th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Great work!! That's what I miss most about SN, I barely look over there anymore. AppState @ UD 2nd round, that would be a battle.
If it happens, I will almost certainly be in Newark.

appmountaineer
November 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM
If it happens, I will almost certainly be in Newark.

I agree, another road trip will have to be taken...i wonder if the band will go

Seahawks Fan
November 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Nice job. Thanks. xthumbsupx

DSUHornet
November 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM

little conflict of schedule there??

McNeese_beat
November 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
The one thing that is inconsistent with the way they used to do it is they'd have Fordham in the top four because the teams that have clinched would be at the top...if I remember right.

Other than that, good post!

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
little conflict of schedule there??

Elon's remaining games are: @ Citadel 11/10, vs. Stony Brook 11/17.

Go Apps
November 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Clarifications for who is and is not eligible for the playoff field:

The Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs by decree of the Ivy school presidents.; - The SWAC will send its division champions to the SWAC title game on Dec. 16, so only second place teams and below are playoff eligible. -The Great West Conference does not have an automatic bid, but both Cal Poly and Southern Utah are playoff eligible. UC Davis, North Dakota State and South Dakota State are in their transitional phase from Division II football and are not playoff eligible.; - The Big South Conference’s teams are eligible for the playoffs, but the league does not have an automatic bid. The MAAC, NEC and PFL are also eligible for the playoffs, but do not have an automatic bid.

Below, take a look at the prospects of I-AA teams that can still entertain realistic playoff hopes heading into the last two weeks of the regular season. Schools are ranked by their chances of making the field, as determined by Me, and not by current top 25 rank or potential playoff seeds. Current overall and conference records are in parentheses, and each team’s remaining schedule is listed with a brief synopsis of its chances.

1. Northern Iowa (9-0, 5-0 Gateway)
The Games: Indiana State (11/18), Southern Utah (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Panthers are sitting pretty! With a strong conference and undefeated record thus far, there is little doubt they will be a top 4 seed, assuming they win out. The #1 seed belongs to them, even with a loss they get a top 2 seed.

2. Montana (9-0, 6-0 Big Sky)
The Games: at Idaho State (11/10), at Montana State (11/18)

Outlook: AQ The Grizzlies sit in this position due to their unbeaten record and past history. The #2 seed is theirs, just win out, (that may be a tougher task) One loss puts them in a tough position, with the conference down, they could slide right out of the top 4 seeds depending on other teams waiting.

Outlook: AQ The Cowboys are in as the Southland Conference representative. If they lose, the Cowboys could possibly fall out of the top 4 seeds, and a tough contest in their last game will have definite implications on seeding.

Outlook: IN TheHens are back in the drivers seat leading the CAA towards the playoffs. The bad news, this is a dangerous spot, two tough games will put Delaware to the test! Even with 2 losses to end the season, a win over Navy and tough conference puts them in the field. Win out and you get a top 4 seed.

5. Southern Illinois (8-1, 4-1 Gateway)
The Games: Illinois State (11/10), at Hampton (11/18)

Outlook: IN With their only loss to top ranked Northern Iowa the Salukis are in great shape! If they can win out and have Delaware loss, they would be in consideration for a top 4 seed.

6. Appalachian State (7-2, 3-2 SoCon)
The Games: Western Carolina (11/10), UTC (11/18)

Outlook: A 9-2 regular season record looks to be a lock based on the remaining schedule. Forget about the SoCon AQ spot, the Mountaineers are in great shape and will be watching the S. Ill, Delaware and McNeese St scores, if two of those three loose, ASU will get a top 4 seed. Regardless, Mountaineers will definitely host a first round game, look for them to be televised on ESPN the Friday after Thanksgiving, count on it!

7. Fordham (8-2, 5-0 Patriot)
The Games: Bucknell (11/17)

Outlook: AQ The Patriot title is wrapped up and that puts Fordham in the playoffs. A likely matchup with a CAA team looks to be a lock.

8. Cal Poly (6-3, 2-1 Great West)
The Games: at NDSt (11/10), Iona (11/17)

Outlook: Cal Poly is a lock with wins in their last two games, if they can beat NDST, there is no denying this team, therefore they rank high in potential.

9. Massachusetts (7-2, 5-1 CAA)
The Games: N. Hampshire (11/10), at Hofstra (11/18)

Outlook: UMass was cruising along until last weekend and now things aren’t looking so good. However winning out will put UMass back in thick of things, only two straight losses keeps them out of this post season! Losses by multiple teams could get them back in the talks of a top 4 seed.

Outlook: The Hornets need a win Saturday to capture the autobid. A loss could take them out of playoff consideration all together. But a still in talks if they finish with two losses.

The Games: at Citadel (11/10), Stony Brook (11/17)

Outlook: The SoCon’s surprise team of the year, now finds themselves in a must win situation! Win the last two and you are in, a loss will keep you home for the holidays, for the Phoenix, the playoffs begin Saturday.

12.Georgia Southern (7-2, 4-2 SoCon)
The Games: Furman (11/10), at Colorado State (11/17)

Outlook: Let’s all say it together, THE EAGLES ARE BACK! At 8-3 with a great resume will definitely put GSU in the post season. However they have two very difficult games remaining, a win in either game puts them in, no doubt. Win the last two and losses by ASU, McNeese, Delaware, and S. ILL will position GSU for a top 4 seed. Either way GSU would host a first round game.

13. Richmond (7-2, 5-1 CAA)
The Games: at Delaware (11/10), William & Mary (11/17)

Outlook: The Spiders are on the rise, but this weekend will determine how far they have come. Either way an 8-3 record I believes gets them in the post season.

14. Eastern Kentucky (7-2, 6-0 OVC)
The Games: at Austin Peay (11/10), Tenn Tech (11/17)

Outlook: The Colonels have been the best of the OVC, but a loss this weekend will cause another conference mess. A win this weekend gets them the Autobid, a loss and their post season future could be in jeopardy. A win also makes the rest of the country breathe a sigh of relief.

15. Wofford (7-3, 4-2 SoCon)
The Games: at UTC (11/10)

Outlook: The Terriers continue to lurk. They could win the Autobid, but even at 8-3 they find themselves hoping for losses around the country. A strong conference and a win over ASU gets them in at 8-3.

16. Eastern Washington (6-3, 4-2 Big Sky)
The Games: at Northern Arizona (11/10), Weber State (11/17)

Outlook: EW must win their final two games to stay in the hunt, NAU will be a tough test. A down year for the Big Sky puts them on the bubble. EW has to hope that Cal Poly losses this weekend to better position yet another team from out West.

17. Hofstra (7-2, 4-2 CAA)
The Games: at Northeastern (11/10), UMass (11/17)

Outlook: Hofstra made a statement last week and kept their name on the post season list. But the Pride must find a way to win their last two games to ensure a spot in the post season.

18. New Hampshire (6-3, 3-3 CAA)
The Games: at UMass (11/10), Maine (11/17)

Outlook: The Wildcats in a must win situation to finish the season. Last week’s loss may have doomed their post season hopes. Bottom line UNH will need to dig deep and beat a strong UMass team to keep hope alive.

19. James Madison (6-3, 4-2 A-10)
The Games: at William & Mary (11/10), Towson (11/17)

Outlook: The Dukes probably have to be worried at this point. First they must win out and they need for others to loose. With so many good teams from the CAA, JMU appears to be at the bottom of that list.

20. Norfolk State (7-2, 6-1 MEAC)
The Games: at Delaware State (11/10), Winston Salem State (11/17)

Outlook: Win the next two and Autobid is yours, a loss and you are out of playoff consideration!

21. Eastern Illinois (6-3, 5-1 OVC)
The Games: at Jacksonville State (11/10), Samford (11/17)

Outlook: The Panthers will earn strong consideration if they can win out, a Autobid is still possible but not likely.

22. Holy Cross (6-3, 3-1 Patriot)
The Games: Layfayette (11/10), Colgate (11/17)

Outlook: Wins in the final two games gives strong consideration, the Colgate game will eliminate either from playoff talks, however a few losses around the country and we may see two from the Patriot League. This is beginning to look like Layfayette two years ago, so don’t be surprised to see history repeat itself and perhaps a trip to Boone!

23. Colgate (6-3, 3-1 Patriot)
The Games: at Georgetown (11/10), at Holy Cross (11/17)

Outlook: See above

24. Alabama A&M (7-2, 5-2 SWAC)
The Games: at Alcorn State (11/10), at Praire View (11/17)

Outlook: Must win out and worthy of talking about, but their inability to win their own conference will likely end post season consideration.

25. Jacksonville State (6-3, 5-1 OVC)
The Games: Eastern Illinois (11/10), at SE MO St (11/17)

Outlook: Lots of options still remaining for Jacksonville State, but right now they need to win out, anything less puts them out of consideration.

26. Austin Peay (6-3, 4-2 OVC)
The Games: EKU (11/10), at Murray State (11/17)

Outlook: The key here is to win out and hope for a bag full of upsets, not impossible, but not likely!

Below are my current projections for the I-AA playoff field and possible match-ups, based on expectations for the remaining games this season.

At-large: Appalachian State, Colgate, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Illinois State, UMass, Richmond, Southern Illinois, and Wofford.

Bracket I: Wofford at No. 1 Northern Iowa; Fordham at Massachussetts;

FCS Preview
November 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Below are my current projections for the I-AA playoff field and possible match-ups, based on expectations for the remaining games this season.

At-large: Appalachian State, Colgate, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Illinois State, UMass, Richmond, Southern Illinois, and Wofford.

Bracket I: Wofford at No. 1 Northern Iowa; Fordham at Massachussetts;

You STILL have a (4-6) Illinois State as a projected at-large
You STILL have nine teams listed as at-large invitees.

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry but I have a hard time with Holy Cross and Colgate receiving any consideration for at large bids at all, especially when you don't even mention Dayton or Albany.

There is nothing Colgate or Holy Cross has done that would make their season any better or more worthyof at-large consideration than Albany or Dayton.

*****"DAYTONFLYER" DISCLAIMER: I DON'T THINK ALBANY, DAYTON, HOLY CROSS OR COLGATE SHOULD GET ANY CONSIDERATION*****

Go Apps
November 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Man, it will not let me edit - but I thought I eliminated Illinois State - you are right they are not it it!!

McNeese_beat
November 9th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Here’s a capsule look at the upcoming FCS playoffs:

When
Saturday, Nov. 24 (first round); Saturday, Dec. 1 (quarterfinals); Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8 (semifinals) and Friday, Dec. 14 (championship game from Chattanooga, Tenn.).

The Field
There are 16 teams. The following conferences’ champions receive an automatic bid to the playoffs: Big Sky, Colonial, Gateway, Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern and Southland. The rest of the field is selected by invitation from the NCAA selection committee. Teams being considered for at-large bids do not have to be from the above conferences. They must have completed their transition from Division II (eliminating No. 2 North Dakota State) and, according to the Division I football handbook, not having at least seven wins over Division I opponents puts a team “in jeopardy of not being selected.”

Who’s In
(Teams with automatic bids)
Montana (Big Sky), Northern Iowa (Gateway), Fordham (Patriot) and McNeese State (Southland)

Who’s Real Close
(Teams with 7 Division I wins, but haven’t won an automatic bid)
Southern Illinois (8-1), Delaware (8-1), Massachusetts (7-2), Hofstra (7-2), Richmond (7-2), Delaware State (8-1), Eastern Kentucky (7-2)

Who’s Close
(Teams closing in on 7 D-I wins)
Eastern Washington (6-3); New Hampshire (6-3); James Madison (6-3); Cal Poly (6-3); Norfolk State (7-2); Eastern Illinois (6-3); Jacksonville State (6-3); Austin Peay (6-3); Colgate (6-3); Holy Cross (6-3); Georgia Southern (7-2); Wofford (7-3); Elon (6-3); Appalachian State (7-2); Alabama A&M (7-2)

Look at Us!
(Teams from leagues that don’t receive automatic bids and whose members do not offer a full allotment of scholarships, but would like to be in the postseason)
Dayton (9-1); San Diego (8-1); Albany (6-3); Iona (7-2)

Don’t Look at Us!
(Teams that have good records but either can’t, or won’t, participate in the playoffs)
North Dakota State (9-0, in transition from Division II); Yale (8-0, Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs); Grambling State (8-1, committed to the Bayou Classic)

griz37
November 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Real nice job Go Apps! I too miss that aspect of the Sports Network.

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM

When
Saturday, Nov. 24 (first round); Saturday, Dec. 1 (quarterfinals); Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8 (semifinals) and Friday, Dec. 14 (championship game from Chattanooga, Tenn.).

The Field
There are 16 teams. The following conferences’ champions receive an automatic bid to the playoffs: Big Sky, Colonial, Gateway, Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern and Southland. The rest of the field is selected by invitation from the NCAA selection committee. Teams being considered for at-large bids do not have to be from the above conferences. They must have completed their transition from Division II (eliminating No. 2 North Dakota State) and, according to the Division I football handbook, not having at least seven wins over Division I opponents puts a team “in jeopardy of not being selected.”

Who’s In
(Teams with automatic bids)
Montana (Big Sky), Northern Iowa (Gateway), Fordham (Patriot) and McNeese State (Southland)

Who’s Real Close
(Teams with 7 Division I wins, but haven’t won an automatic bid)
Southern Illinois (8-1), Delaware (8-1), Massachusetts (7-2), Hofstra (7-2), Richmond (7-2), Delaware State (8-1), Eastern Kentucky (7-2)

Who’s Close
(Teams closing in on 7 D-I wins)
Eastern Washington (6-3); New Hampshire (6-3); James Madison (6-3); Cal Poly (6-3); Norfolk State (7-2); Eastern Illinois (6-3); Jacksonville State (6-3); Austin Peay (6-3); Colgate (6-3); Holy Cross (6-3); Georgia Southern (7-2); Wofford (7-3); Elon (6-3); Appalachian State (7-2); Alabama A&M (7-2)

Look at Us!
(Teams from leagues that don’t receive automatic bids and whose members do not offer a full allotment of scholarships, but would like to be in the postseason)
Dayton (9-1); San Diego (8-1); Albany (6-3); Iona (7-2)

Don’t Look at Us!
(Teams that have good records but either can’t, or won’t, participate in the playoffs)
North Dakota State (9-0, in transition from Division II); Yale (8-0, Ivy League does not participate in the playoffs); Grambling State (8-1, committed to the Bayou Classic)

Nice Job!xthumbsupx

Bison_Kent
November 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Good job but UC Davis and Northern Colorado were playoff eligible this year.

89Hen
November 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM
At-large: Colgate, Illinois State
I'll give you odds on either of those. xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM

When
Saturday, Nov. 24 (first round); Saturday, Dec. 1 (quarterfinals); Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8 (semifinals) and Friday, Dec. 14 (championship game from Chattanooga, Tenn.)First Round—November 23 and 24 at on-campus sites
Quarterfinals—December 1 at on-campus sites
Semifinals—December 7 and 8 at on-campus sites
Final—December 14 at W. Max Finley Stadium/Davenport Field, Chattanooga, Tennessee

All About the D-I Football Championship
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82975
xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
November 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I got a chuckle on how the title of this thread was changed....why protect a bad product?

JmuSkinsfan
November 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I still can't give you a whole lot of credit when you have JMU ranked #19...

Call me a homer all you want, but if JMU wins out (which they definitely should) to go 8-3, they will have losses to FBS UNC, and #4 Delaware and #7 Richmond by a combined 4 points. Give me a break. The GPI has JMU at 10t with Georgia Southern. Leave them out if you want, but having them down at 19 is an insult.

McNeese_beat
November 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
First Round—November 23 and 24 at on-campus sites
Quarterfinals—December 1 at on-campus sites
Semifinals—December 7 and 8 at on-campus sites
Final—December 14 at W. Max Finley Stadium/Davenport Field, Chattanooga, Tennessee

All About the D-I Football Championship
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82975
xthumbsupx

Well, that's true...maybe I should have written "weekend of"...

bluehenbillk
November 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I still can't give you a whole lot of credit when you have JMU ranked #19...

Call me a homer all you want, but if JMU wins out (which they definitely should) to go 8-3, they will have losses to FBS UNC, and #4 Delaware and #7 Richmond by a combined 4 points. Give me a break. The GPI has JMU at 10t with Georgia Southern. Leave them out if you want, but having them down at 19 is an insult.

JMU has to be big N'Eastern fans this week & UMass fans next week. JMU will be in as long as they win their last 2 games & someone knocks off Hofstra. A 9-2 Hofstra ends JMU's season.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Agreed, win 2, Hofstra needs to lose, adn we should be in. I think Hofstra will have a real tough time with Northeastern. They are a tough team with a fantastic RB. They seem to play better in bad weather at home, and the forecast shows some miserable weather in Boston tomorrow. GO HUSKIES!! xthumbsupx

Also, I think UMass losing to UNH and winning their final game makes for an interesting 8-3 team. The margin of victory/loss in that one may play a role in selecting UMass vs. JMU if JMU wins out.

Also, we Dukes fans are rooting for NDSU and Del St. pretty hard too. xnodx

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Well, that's true...maybe I should have written "weekend of"...Since you wrote:
Saturday, Nov. 24 (first round); Saturday, Dec. 1 (quarterfinals); Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8 (semifinals) and Friday, Dec. 14 (championship game from Chattanooga, Tenn.)

Just change it to:
Friday, Nov. 23 and Saturday, Nov. 24 (first round); Saturday, Dec. 1 (quarterfinals); Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8 (semifinals) and Friday, Dec. 14 (championship game from Chattanooga, Tenn.)

xthumbsupx

ASUdrummer
November 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I agree, another road trip will have to be taken...i wonder if the band will go

If the game is somewhat close we will be there! I'm not sure that Delaware is exactly "somewhat close" though. However, we weren't going to Furman either until the Chancellor (who LOVES the band) found us the money so there's no tellin'!

UMass922
November 9th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Outlook: IN The Blue Hens are back in the drivers seat leading the CAA towards the playoffs. The bad news is that this is a dangerous spot, two tough games will put Delaware to the test! Even with 2 losses to end the season, a win over Navy and tough conference puts them in the field. Win out and you get a top 4 seed.

Delaware is not a lock if it loses its last two. No team with 7 D-I wins is an absolute lock--especially one that loses its last two games of the season.