PDA

View Full Version : Saluki Way is Finally Approved

SO ILLmatic
November 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM
The tentative date for the football stadium is 2010. The stands will hold 12,000 plus lawn seats on the opposing end of the horseshoe.

Check out the full story, and pictures of the new stadium & renovated Arena, at
http://siusalukis.cstv.com/genrel/110807aab.html

crunifan
November 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Looks great!

My only question is why are they decreasing the size from the previous stadium?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 8th, 2007, 11:43 PM
That is gonna be a sweet set up.

Tod
November 8th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Very, very nice! Like UCD, looks great on its own, but ready for expansion if needed.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

crunifan
November 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Very, very nice! Like UCD, looks great on its own, but ready for expansion if needed.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

That is the one thing that I really don't like about the dome.

There is absolutely no way to expand it. When the time comes, we will just have to build an entirely new stadium. SIU definitely looks like they have thought about possible expansion in the design of this stadium.

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM

There is absolutely no way to expand it. When the time comes, we will just have to build an entirely new stadium. SIU definitely looks like they have thought about possible expansion in the design of this stadium.

Yeah, I understand that. On the plus side, I'll be going to Holt Arena in Pocatello to watch the Griz play Idaho State this Saturday, and I understand it's a lousy dome, while the UNI-Dome is not.

In their defense, ISU has the second oldest dome in the US, after the Astrodome, so it was probably considered pretty nice when it was built.

But "nice" and "expansion" are indeed two separate things. Such a great program (not to mention the State of Iowa D-I champs) will no doubt be wanting and needing expansion, and you're unfortunately in that boat.

I'm sure it will work out, though. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

joecooll6
November 9th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I dont think we will need to expand.

Our dome is pretty old itself, build in 1976, when was Idaho States built?

Great looking new stadium by the way. My dad and I decided we were gonna try and see every Gateway stadium, one a year starting last year. We went to SIU last year and Ill State this year. Looks like were gonna hafta go back o SIU again.

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 03:13 AM

Great looking new stadium by the way. My dad and I decided we were gonna try and see every Gateway stadium, one a year starting last year. We went to SIU last year and Ill State this year. Looks like were gonna hafta go back o SIU again.

I did a quick search to try to answer your question, but this doesn't quite do it. It does say that it was the first on any college campus.

Hopefully, you WILL need to expand, as we all will. More hopefully, you don't leave FCS, and nobody else does, either.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xnodx :)

http://www.isu.edu/isutour/build-descrip/holt-arena.html

Poly Pigskin
November 9th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I did a quick search to try to answer your question, but this doesn't quite do it. It does say that it was the first on any college campus.

Hopefully, you WILL need to expand, as we all will. More hopefully, you don't leave FCS, and nobody else does, either.

Wikipedia says it was completed in 1970: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Arena

That SIU stadium does look a lot like UCD's, doesn't it? I wish our new stands would have been designed better for future expansion, it will be very limited seating if/when they eventually renovate the other side.

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Wikipedia says it was completed in 1970: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Arena

That SIU stadium does look a lot like UCD's, doesn't it? I wish our new stands would have been designed better for future expansion, it will be very limited seating if/when they eventually renovate the other side.

Any possibility that the room for more seats may in itself be a way to expand?

I don't know, but you got me thinking. I never underestimate the planners. :) :) :)

CamelCityAppFan
November 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM
That looks great! xthumbsupx

But if you want it to be REALLY cool, you need to put a track around the field...xrolleyesx

joecooll6
November 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM

No worries, UNI is one team that you wont have to worry about making the jump.

X-Factor
November 9th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hopefully that is expandable if Missouri Valley football ever happens.

I like the design though xthumbsupx

SO ILLmatic
November 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Looks great!

My only question is why are they decreasing the size from the previous stadium?

I believe they are decreasing the capacity because it is very difficult to get Saluki fans & students in the stands for football. Our AD went out to Montana and they got alot of ideas from Wash-Griz. I think they are under the impression that the atmosphere will be improved if we have a full 12K seat stadium, instead of having open seats on both sides of a larger stadium.

That looks great! xthumbsupx

But if you want it to be REALLY cool, you need to put a track around the field...xrolleyesx

I've seen one design that featured a track around the football field. But I think this design is the one they will go with. Hopefully anyways.

Hopefully that is expandable if Missouri Valley football ever happens.

I like the design though xthumbsupx

There has been alot of talk about Valley football recently on Valleytalk.net Some people feel that is going to happen pretty soon, maybe a soon as next year. http://www.valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=5532

MSUBear42
November 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Wait for a few years to visit MSU, after the expansion/renovation is complete.

joecooll6
November 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Wait for a few years to visit MSU, after the expansion/renovation is complete.

Will do. We obviously will only go see UNI, and we will try to get good matchups every year. Hopefully MSU will continue to get better under TA and we can go see a big game with playoff implications in Springfield in the near future.

Mountain Panther
November 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM
No track around the field which is good, but why such a wide concourse between the stands and the field? Why not bring the fans closer?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6872&stc=1&d=1194586310

MSUBear42
November 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
No track around the field which is good, but why such a wide concourse between the stands and the field? Why not bring the fans closer?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6872&stc=1&d=1194586310

Good point

CamelCityAppFan
November 9th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I was actually kidding about the track...we of the Appalachian nation were hoping to get rid of the track during our stadium refurb/enhancement.

Heck, I'd even take the nice wide concourse instead...

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Looks great!

Anybody know how this is being funded? State or private dollars?

igo4uni
November 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM

There is absolutely no way to expand it. When the time comes, we will just have to build an entirely new stadium.

I've thought about this and I think you're right.........I just don't see how to make it bigger. I wonder how much it would cost to build a new stadium??

Also, would you want another dome.........or an outdoor facility??

Good work, SIU!!

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Looks great!

Anybody know how this is being funded? State or private dollars?
It's being done without state help. Bonds are being sold. An athletic fee increase is part of it. The city of Carbondale is has committed a million a year as part of a recent sales tax increase. Private donations are taking care of the balance.
I like the horseshoe design on the football stadium. Maybe it will bring us luck.

joecooll6
November 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
What was wrong with your old stadium?

HAHA, just kidding.

Grizzaholic
November 9th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Maybe it is the picture but it seems like the fans could be closer to the field. That would keep the noise on the field a little bit.

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
What was wrong with your old stadium?

HAHA, just kidding.
It's close to 70 years old. Time for it to retire.

MSUBear42
November 9th, 2007, 04:48 PM
So is this new stadium nowhere near the old one? I can't remember where the football field was when I went to the basketball game 10+ years ago.

joecooll6
November 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
It's close to 70 years old. Time for it to retire.

Yes, Ive been there I would agree.

crunifan
November 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I've thought about this and I think you're right.........I just don't see how to make it bigger. I wonder how much it would cost to build a new stadium??

Also, would you want another dome.........or an outdoor facility??

Good work, SIU!!

As much as I love our dome, I would want an outdoor facility.

I think we would get more with our money with an outdoor stadium, it would be easier to expand, and on beautiful fall days I miss it not being outside.

Cons: the noise would decrease significantly. Winter would be a bitch. Lose revenue without the trade shows, football play-offs, etc. Might even cause drop in attendance due to weather issues.

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
So is this new stadium nowhere near the old one? I can't remember where the football field was when I went to the basketball game 10+ years ago.
It is south of the old one and will be next to the Arena. Maybe this will help.
SIU map (http://admissions.siu.edu/pdf/campusmap2005.pdf)
The current stadium is between Route 51 and the Student Center.