PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State blew it

lassic
November 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Debating whether to start this thread, was going to what until the playoffs ended, but idiot sportscasters and newscasters are comparing and saying the kentucky basketball game was a bigger upset, got me thinking.
Anyway, Appalachian State had a chance for greatness this year. They even changed the rules in which "fcs" teams can be ranked with "fbs." If they were undefeated and won it all, they would have been the greatest Iaa/fcs ever but with two losses so far, they let it slip through their hands

flyenhigh
November 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I agree with you in some ways. I wonder if they would have been ranked at the end of the year if they had won out.

Zoo
November 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Debating whether to start this thread, was going to what until the playoffs ended, but idiot sportscasters and newscasters are comparing and saying the kentucky basketball game was a bigger upset, got me thinking.
Anyway, Appalachian State had a chance for greatness his year. They even changed the rules in which "fcs" teams can be ranked with "fbs." If they were undefeated and won it all, they would have been the greatest Iaa/fcs ever but with two losses so far, they let it slip through their hands

Actually I think it makes the upset look better.

A 2 loss FCS team beat a 2 loss Michigan team at the Big House in Ann Arbor.

But that's just my opinion. xpeacex

Grizaholic17
November 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I agree with zoo, but it is a bold statement to say you would of been the best ever. All champions are great, there is no one that we can say stands out (besides a few I guess, like Marshall in '96!!!)

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Anyway, Appalachian State had a chance for greatness his year. They even changed the rules in which "fcs" teams can be ranked with "fbs." If they were undefeated and won it all, they would have been the greatest Iaa/fcs ever but with two losses so far, they let it slip through their handsYou act like the only way for App to win a championship is to go undefeated in the regular season. If they pull it off and win a thrid title, are they still "failures?"

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I agree with zoo, but it is a bold statement to say you would of been the best ever. All champions are great, there is no one that we can say stands out (besides a few I guess, like Marshall in '96!!!)

Praise of Marshall is one of the deadly sins xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

lassic
November 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
no failure if they win it all, but they had a chance for legendary greatness.

Maroons
November 8th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Was Marshall in '96 undefeated? Which FCS champions have ever had a perfect (undefeated) season?

psc2445
November 8th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Anyway, Appalachian State had a chance for greatness his year. They even changed the rules in which "fcs" teams can be ranked with "fbs." If they were undefeated and won it all, they would have been the greatest Iaa/fcs ever but with two losses so far, they let it slip through their hands

I have to admit I agree somewhat with this statement. We had a chance to go down as the "greatest fcs/I-AA team ever if we ran the table, especially with the renewed success of Michigan. That said I think it still does better for the division as a hole to show the true talent that is on our level. Hopefully during the playoffs, with ASU in it(hopefully too), it will conjure up memories of the monumental UMich win, and the commentators and viewing public, outside of us diehards will take even more notice.

unigriff
November 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
UNI should be in the top 25 FBS IMHO...#23 sounds about right.

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, Appalachian blew it.

I just wish we could find another team that wanted to trade their last 2 and half years for ours...

Maroons
November 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I have to admit I agree somewhat with this statement. We had a chance to go down as the "greatest fcs/I-AA team ever if we ran the table, especially with the renewed success of Michigan. That said I think it still does better for the division as a hole to show the true talent that is on our level. Hopefully during the playoffs, with ASU in it(hopefully too), it will conjure up memories of the monumental UMich win, and the commentators and viewing public, outside of us diehards will take even more notice.

I agree this is the best possible outcome for the division and I too hope it comes to pass. Appy's success will hopefully benefit all.

Zoo
November 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Also, adding to my previous statement, I think that Appalachian State losing two games to FCS teams after knocking off Michigan shows just how competitive the FCS really is.

Mountain Panther
November 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Which FCS champions have ever had a perfect (undefeated) season?

That 1-loss 2003 Delaware team was about as good as it gets.

unigriff
November 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM
i concur zoo

Mountain Panther
November 8th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Also, adding to my previous statement, I think that Appalachian State losing two games to FCS teams after knocking off Michigan shows just how competitive the FCS really is.

Michigan was overrated going into that game....and I don't think we're going to see how good UM really is until they play Ohio State.

HiHiYikas
November 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Obviously, going undefeated would have been great - it's always nice to go undefeated; it's even better to go undefeated with a hard schedule.

ASU very nearly lost to GSU (a 3-8 GSU at that) and Wofford last year. A fumble, a key injury, a pick-6 here and there, and the Mountaineers would have been 0-2 against the Eagles and Terriers last year, just like this year. That kind of stuff happens every Saturday, to championship-caliber teams and 1-6 teams.

That's just the way conference games go. You face coaches who know you well enouch to exploit weaknesses, teams that get up for heated rivalries...it's hard to run the table. And you have bad weeks now and then. It's hard not to slip up and lose to a "bottom feeder," much less an up-and-coming program. More accurately, it's hard to fend off the intensly-determined "bottom feeder" spoiler teams.

Rhode Island will beat UMass, Northeastern will beat New Hampshire, Chattanooga will beat GaSo, Wofford will beat ASU. That kind of stuff will happen every year. It doesn't mean the 1-6 team is better than the 6-1 team, it just means it's hard to beat all the people you have to play season in, season out.

A third championship would be great for ASU (obviously), and I think it could be good for the FCS, too. After all, people will be interested to see how the Michigan-beaters wrap up their 2007 season. It would be better for the FCS if ASU didn't win the NC, since fans could say "ASU beat a top 25 BCS team, and there were better teams in the FCS than ASU."

ASU was 14-1 last season, with an average playoff victory margin of almost 19 points. I don't know if that team was the best ever (that's a pretty empty argument, except for entertainment value, anyway), but they were very good.

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM

For the record, I thought we were going to lose 2 games this season going in. We just didn't lose the 2 I thought we would.

We lost 1 I thought we would, won 1 I thought we'd lose closer than most people were giving us credit for.

I won't say which game we lost was one I predicted we'd lose-- don't want to give the Wofford or GSU fans that big a gift...

ekufbfan
November 8th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Was Marshall in '96 undefeated? Which FCS champions have ever had a perfect (undefeated) season?

Maroons, are you kidding me? You don't know that your very own Colonels were undefeated in 1982 and the National Champs! 13-0 Baby! Regular season wins against Youngstown State, Middle Tenn, wku, Central Florida (as well as the rest of the OVC) and on the road to the NC, we beat Idaho, Tenn State and Delaware. Ahhh, what a fun year that was!!! Maroons you probably were not born yet, but a good EKU fan like yourself needs to learn some history!

eaglesrthe1
November 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Ahem... GSU 15-0 1989. Erks swan song. Out on top, the way it should be done.

Mountain Panther
November 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
ASU was 14-1 last season, with an average playoff victory margin of almost 19 points. I don't know if that team was the best ever (that's a pretty empty argument, except for entertainment value, anyway), but they were very good.

Agreed. xthumbsupx You thumped a really good UMass team that won @ Wa-Griz the week before.

eagle_13
November 8th, 2007, 08:22 PM

1989 GA Southern was 15-0 as was 1996 Marshall (I really hate saying that!). Not sure who else has accomplished this. While not undefeated, 1999 GSU was an awesome team, too. We outscored opponents 747-262 that year...an avg margin of victory of over 32 points per game!

GATA EAGLES!!
ONE MORE TIME!!

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, Appalachian blew it.

I just wish we could find another team that wanted to trade their last 2 and half years for ours...

here. :o

james_lawfirm
November 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM

What the heck does that mean? There have been plenty of great teams with 9-2 records.

IMHO, ASU has already achieved "legendary greatness" (your phrase) with its 2 Nat'l Championships and win over Michigan.

I think ASU's next two games will show how much our defense has improved since the first of the season. They made a statement at The Citadel. Why that freshman LB (D.J. Smith) did not get defensive POW honors (16 tackles, 1 int. for TD) is beyond me.

The fact that we have lost two games should not trouble anyone IF the team continues to improve as the playoffs arrive. I like our chances in the playoffs. I hope we get the home games, but even if we don't, we will have our chance.

AlphaSigMD
November 8th, 2007, 09:03 PM
1989 GA Southern was 15-0 as was 1996 Marshall (I really hate saying that!). Not sure who else has accomplished this. While not undefeated, 1999 GSU was an awesome team, too. We outscored opponents 747-262 that year...an avg margin of victory of over 32 points per game!

GATA EAGLES!!
ONE MORE TIME!!

GSU nearly knocked off Oregon St. that year. They were a good team.

BUT...I think it was ASU that handed GSU their only other loss that year. 17-16, one of the best games I've ever seen.

GSU finished that regular season at 13-2.

ASU will hopefully finish this season at 13-2.

AlphaSigMD
November 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM
What the heck does that mean? There have been plenty of great teams with 9-2 records.

IMHO, ASU has already achieved "legendary greatness" (your phrase) with its 2 Nat'l Championships and win over Michigan.

I think ASU's next two games will show how much our defense has improved since the first of the season. They made a statement at The Citadel. Why that freshman LB (D.J. Smith) did not get defensive POW honors (16 tackles, 1 int. for TD) is beyond me.

The fact that we have lost two games should not trouble anyone IF the team continues to improve as the playoffs arrive. I like our chances in the playoffs. I hope we get the home games, but even if we don't, we will have our chance.

Agreed. GP, JL

GSUjack
November 8th, 2007, 09:10 PM

GATA EAGLES!!
ONE MORE TIME!!

i have to agree with you on that one, 15-0, it doesnt get much better than that.... especially when the program that does it is less than ten years old! haha. GATA.

SuperEagle
November 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM
GSU nearly knocked off Oregon St. that year. They were a good team.

BUT...I think it was ASU that handed GSU their only other loss that year. 17-16, one of the best games I've ever seen.

GSU finished that regular season at 13-2.

ASU will hopefully finish this season at 13-2.
you guys were the only team to slow us down all year. after that we seemed to roll winning the National Title by 35pts. That team had to be the fastest GSU team we've ever had.
And app fans, you still have a chance for a 3peat. Something that's never been done. So I wouldn't say you blew it at all if you accomplish that.

NDSUFREAK
November 8th, 2007, 09:16 PM
lets hope Michigan best Ohio State

ab4app
November 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM
APP STATE BLEW IT, GET SERIOUS , nobody blew anything, the only thing that matters year in and year out is making the playoffs and trying to make a run at the NC. Thas an ignant thing to sayxnonox

patssle
November 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM
They didn't blow it...but with the 2 losses...it makes that Michigan win look more like a fluke than the dealings of a powerful App team.

GSUjack
November 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM
They didn't blow it...but with the 2 losses...it makes that Michigan win look more like a fluke than the dealings of a powerful App team.

i agree. the michigan win was a pretty big thing at the time (and still is in my bookxbowx ); BUT those two losses really did take the luster out of it.

AlphaSigMD
November 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM
lets hope Michigan best Ohio State

Even if they don't, it certainly doesn't matter.

Ohio State is the No. 1 team in the country, and they have owned Michigan the last few years.

Michigan losing to OSU would be the status quo, and certainly not something to take the glitz off of an ASU's achievment.

I dunno, maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, but it was a magical day. I have been in the stands for both national championships and the miracle on the mountain, but that Michigan game was really something else. I'll remember them all forever, but Michigan, it will always be special.

GSUjack
November 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Even if they don't, it certainly doesn't matter.

Ohio State is the No. 1 team in the country, and they have owned Michigan the last few years.

Michigan losing to OSU would be the status quo, and certainly not something to take the glitz off of an ASU's achievment.

I dunno, maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, but it was a magical day. I have been in the stands for both national championships and the miracle on the mountain, but that Michigan game was really something else. I'll remember them all forever, but Michigan, it will always be special.

honestly, that was a wonderful day for anyone that cares about fcs football.
i think i MIGHT have been happy for app state that day. :D

DaGriz
November 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Here's a pretty good article on that '96 Marshall team. In my opinion they are the best I-AA team ever. That team was unreal.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=65613

LehighFan11
November 8th, 2007, 10:45 PM
When your QB is 180 pounds and runs the ball 20 times a game, odds are he will get hurt somewhere down line. Odds caught up with them and lost 2 games. Year wont be a dissapointment when they run through the field for their 3rd national championship in a row.

Syntax Error
November 8th, 2007, 10:59 PM
ASU with a chance to go 9-2 and maybe get a SoCon championship and a seed is no disappointment at all! But I can see what some are saying they might have had that elusive INCREDIBLY HISTORIC SEASON.

HiHi, "More accurately, it's hard to fend off the intensly-determined "bottom feeder" spoiler teams. Rhode Island will beat UMass, Northeastern will beat New Hampshire, Chattanooga will beat GaSo, Wofford will beat ASU. That kind of stuff will happen every year. It doesn't mean the 1-6 team is better than the 6-1 team, it just means it's hard to beat all the people you have to play season in, season out."

One of these things is not like the others:
2-7 Rhode Island
2-7 Northeastern
2-7 Chattanooga
7-3 Wofford

:p

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM
ASU with a chance to go 9-2 and maybe get a SoCon championship and a seed is no disappointment at all! But I can see what some are saying they might have had that elusive INCREDIBLY HISTORIC SEASON.

HiHi, "More accurately, it's hard to fend off the intensly-determined "bottom feeder" spoiler teams. Rhode Island will beat UMass, Northeastern will beat New Hampshire, Chattanooga will beat GaSo, Wofford will beat ASU. That kind of stuff will happen every year. It doesn't mean the 1-6 team is better than the 6-1 team, it just means it's hard to beat all the people you have to play season in, season out."

2-7 Rhode Island
2-7 Northeastern
2-7 Chattanooga
7-3 Wofford

So, using that logic, why is it that when a "bottom feeder" in the CAA, SoCon, or Gateway acts as a "spoiler", it's accepted that "that kind of stuff will happen every year", but when it happens in the BSC (i.e., PSU beating EWU, it's trumpeted as proof of a weak conference? xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM
So, using that logic, why is it that when a "bottom feeder" in the CAA, SoCon, or Gateway acts as a "spoiler", it's accepted that "that kind of stuff will happen every year", but when it happens in the BSC (i.e., PSU beating EWU, it's trumpeted as proof of a weak conference? xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Yeah, what AZ said. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

An extra coffee for emphasis.

Syntax Error
November 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
When your QB is 180 pounds and runs the ball 20 times a game, odds are he will get hurt somewhere down line. Odds caught up with them and lost 2 games.Edwards played 1 1/2 of their 2 losses. Elder has played pretty well this year.

ASU_Chad
November 9th, 2007, 12:13 AM
"Chance" at greatness? It has never and until it happens again... ASU will be the only FCS team to beat a top 5 FBS team. And ASU will ALWAYS be the first team to beat a top 5 FBS team. PS. Althought not as spectacular, were the first FCS school Michagan ever played. If infamy and greatness mean something people will remember, I am sure that makes us pretty great in the eyes of the Wolverines.

Tod
November 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah, what AZ said. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

An extra coffee for emphasis.

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Obviously, going undefeated would have been great - it's always nice to go undefeated; it's even better to go undefeated with a hard schedule.

ASU very nearly lost to GSU (a 3-8 GSU at that) and Wofford last year. A fumble, a key injury, a pick-6 here and there, and the Mountaineers would have been 0-2 against the Eagles and Terriers last year, just like this year. That kind of stuff happens every Saturday, to championship-caliber teams and 1-6 teams.

That's just the way conference games go. You face coaches who know you well enouch to exploit weaknesses, teams that get up for heated rivalries...it's hard to run the table. And you have bad weeks now and then. It's hard not to slip up and lose to a "bottom feeder," much less an up-and-coming program. More accurately, it's hard to fend off the intensly-determined "bottom feeder" spoiler teams.

Rhode Island will beat UMass, Northeastern will beat New Hampshire, Chattanooga will beat GaSo, Wofford will beat ASU. That kind of stuff will happen every year. It doesn't mean the 1-6 team is better than the 6-1 team, it just means it's hard to beat all the people you have to play season in, season out.

A third championship would be great for ASU (obviously), and I think it could be good for the FCS, too. After all, people will be interested to see how the Michigan-beaters wrap up their 2007 season. It would be better for the FCS if ASU didn't win the NC, since fans could say "ASU beat a top 25 BCS team, and there were better teams in the FCS than ASU."

So, using that logic, why is it that when a "bottom feeder" in the CAA, SoCon, or Gateway acts as a "spoiler", it's accepted that "that kind of stuff will happen every year", but when it happens in the BSC (i.e., PSU beating EWU, it's trumpeted as proof of a weak conference? xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeexxcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

HiHiYikas
November 9th, 2007, 12:30 AM
2-7 Rhode Island
2-7 Northeastern
2-7 Chattanooga
7-3 Wofford

Oy yeah, of course...I'm not trying to cast Wofford as a bottom feeder by any means, just citing Wofford-ASU as a recent example of a conference game with an outcome that, though unanticipated by many, shouldn't have been terribly surprising.

And, fortunately for ASU, having the post-Michigan bubble burst by a very good Terrier team is just about as close to the shocking "bottom feeder loss" as they've experienced in a little while (knock on wood). It will happen sooner or later, though. It could happen this weekend or the next.

Whether it's a 2-7 team or a 7-3 team, teams that "aren't supposed to" win conference games win conference games. That might explain why, for only the second time in SoCon history, 2 conference losses is good enough for a share of the title this year.

JayJ79
November 9th, 2007, 01:05 AM

Even if ASU went undefeated this season, I really don't think the ignorant masses that only follow FBS football would consider them all that. They got their 15 minutes of fame in the national spotlight for a couple weeks after that win, but then unfortunately the general public went back to their ignorance of FCS football.

Probably the only lasting effect will be that traditional top-tier FBS teams will be more reluctant to schedule traditional top-tier FCS teams.

appman111
November 9th, 2007, 03:13 AM
MAJOR losses on the defensive line and untimely injuries on both ends of the ball are the difference between last season and this season's Mountaineers. If Coach Moore can get our defense even close to where we were in 2006 in the next few weeks, I don't see anyone who can play with us because we have the most dominant offense in the FCS. I doubt that happens though, we had some beasts on the D-line last season and there's not much time left before playoffs. Hopefully the injury bug doesn't bite again and we can get healthy for a potential run at #3, but we can't outscore everyone, no matter how great our offense is.

appstate38
November 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Anyway, Appalachian State had a chance for greatness this year. They even changed the rules in which "fcs" teams can be ranked with "fbs." If they were undefeated and won it all, they would have been the greatest Iaa/fcs ever but with two losses so far, they let it slip through their hands

I wish you hadn't started this thread, because it is beginning to make us seem a little too big for our britches. This thread along with the one about "Who Doesn't want to play us in the playoffs are useless and only feed the notion that the App fans are arrogant and don't know who to handle success. Do us a favor App Fans. Save these types of threads for some other board. Respect has been given to our team because of what they have done on the field, it doesn't have to be manufactored anymore. All threads like this do is create a thousand other threads when we lose about how we aren't as go as we thought and things like that.
Come on Moutaineers!!!! We are better than that!

FCS Preview
November 9th, 2007, 05:51 AM

1982, Eastern Kentucky
1989, Georgia Southern
1996, Marshall

AppMan
November 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Had the Mountaineers remained healthy all season your arguement may have held some validity. But when you consider ASU's hasn't put the same starting offensive line on the field two games in a row and is playing 3rd teamers in some spots, the starting QB only played 1 full quarter of the five games following the Michigan win, and a young defensive line that has also been hit fairly hard with injuries, puts the two losses in a different perspective.

OL FU
November 9th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I think saying Appalachian State blew it fails to give credit to the competition this year that beat themxnodx

Laserlips
November 9th, 2007, 07:12 AM
"Chance" at greatness? It has never and until it happens again... ASU will be the only FCS team to beat a top 5 FBS team. And ASU will ALWAYS be the first team to beat a top 5 FBS team. PS. Althought not as spectacular, were the first FCS school Michagan ever played. If infamy and greatness mean something people will remember, I am sure that makes us pretty great in the eyes of the Wolverines.

FWIW:

When App knocked off Michigan it made EVERY 1AA fan & player (or whatever you chose to call it) puff out their chests and say, "see, on any given day we ARE as good as the big boys"...

I remember how proud I was, and from the comments on various football forums (incld this one) everyone else connected with 1AA in general, AND the SOCON teams in particular thought you guys did a pretty fantastic thing.

Whether App State wins three in a row, and starts a new mark for the rest of us to reach for you DID whip Michigan THAT day, ON National TV no less. xbowx

There are wayyy too many variables in a football game in a season, such as injured players, the "luck" (or lack of) the bounce, and even the competence or incompetence of the officials calling each game for anyone to say if you don't win a 3rd Natl Championship this season you "blew it"...

APP State didn't blow anything. The App State program is just like every other football program, made up of young men playing the sport they love to the best of their ability. That's all you can ask of the athletes, and IMO the App players have done a fantastic job.

Let some other team whip a top ranked 1A program after winning the National Championship two years in a row, then see if they "blow it" if they don't win a third in a row.

It's a game we all love. We have our friendly rivalries, and we have the other kind.. You know and I know that, for example, the App State/GSU rivalry has been the "other kind", but even so THIS GSU fan appreciates what App State has done this season for our division and the SOCON..

I'll bet you no team member or fan of Michigan will ever forget your guys took 'em to the woodshed on national tv, and thank you for that! xthumbsupx

There's only one team in the SOCON I'd rather see win another national championship than the App State team.. (This season isn't over yet and that elusive 3rd in a row is still a possibility).. xwhistlex

Best Wishes to the App State faithful and thanks again for making us proud by beating Michigan..

J.Pomeroy

blueballs
November 9th, 2007, 07:14 AM
This kind of talk is not unprecedented at all.

After GSU's perfect 1989 season, their 3rd title in 5 years and 4th title game appearance in 5 years, Coach Russell retired. Tim Stowers replaced him and while GSU had to replace a good portion of their o-line, the cupboard was hardly bare. In fact, the seniors that year branded themselves "The Last of the Hard."

GSU started the 1990 season 1-3 and all was definitely not well in the 'Boro. The same kind of talk- but worse- was rampant. How could we be so bad with Gross and all the great players we had? Did we blow it hiring Stowers? Are the players complacent? Etc, etc, etc...

11 straight wins later the "Last of the Hard" ended their glorious careers as champions again and went down in 1-AA history as one of the greatest classes with 3 consecutive title game appearances, back to back titles, and a perfect 15-0 season- which at the time they were the only team in D1 to have ever accomplished that.

The point is this: All of ASU's goals are still attainable. Whether they achieve them or not, who knows? That's why they play the games. But they are hardly failures and if they win the title their seniors could arguably could go down as the greatest class ever.

CamelCityAppFan
November 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I couldn't agree more with OL FU! (Isn't it a sign of the apocolypse when an Appy and a Furple agree on something?)

Going in to this season, I looked at the losses on our team personel to graduation, looked at our conference foes, and was convinced that we would not make it through the conference without at least one loss.

There was no way we going to run the conference table like we did last year. Too much youth in areas going up against to much experience on the other side of the ball. It's not really a surprise that we lost 2 hard fought games to the 2 teams that played us the closest last year. And last year's Furman game was an exception-- I thought this year's followed the script much more closely.

Look at the SoCon this year. Everyone has a couple of black eyes delivered by a conference foe. It's been a bar fight this year.

CamelCityAppFan
November 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I'll bet you no team member or fan of Michigan will ever forget your guys took 'em to the woodshed on national tv, and thank you for that! xthumbsupx

My friend and business partner went to Michigan, so (as you might imagine) we've discussed this a lot. He's pretty cool about it, doesn't make excuses, says UM was lucky they didn't lose by 10 or more.

He says the UM boards are full of bitter people who want Michigan to schedule ASU again to get revenge. His response: it doesn't matter if Michigan beat ASU 10 times in row now-- ASU beat UM in that one game that counted (the first one). He thinks it's kind of funny that there will now be one conference that UM will forever have a losing record against...

For the record, he also wants Lloyd's head on a pike, or something like that.

xpeacex

T-Dogg
November 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
HiHi, "More accurately, it's hard to fend off the intensly-determined "bottom feeder" spoiler teams. Rhode Island will beat UMass, Northeastern will beat New Hampshire, Chattanooga will beat GaSo, Wofford will beat ASU.

Man, that is complete non-sense and the kind of thing only the ill-informed meat head would say out loud.

Anyway, ASU has a great team and program. What happened to them is that the rest of the SoCon has had to elevate their games and programs. Two losses in the SoCon is not all that bad with the quality in the league. I would bet that many other FSC teams could not get 2 wins competing with the SoCon teams.

Thanks to ASU for lifting the standard as you did again this year by beating Michigan at their own house!!

HiddenGriz
November 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
xlolx UNI should be in the top 25 FBS IMHO...#23 sounds about right.xlolx

Reality check.....?

AppGirl
November 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I wish you hadn't started this thread, because it is beginning to make us seem a little too big for our britches. This thread along with the one about "Who Doesn't want to play us in the playoffs are useless and only feed the notion that the App fans are arrogant and don't know who to handle success. Do us a favor App Fans. Save these types of threads for some other board. Respect has been given to our team because of what they have done on the field, it doesn't have to be manufactored anymore. All threads like this do is create a thousand other threads when we lose about how we aren't as go as we thought and things like that.
Come on Moutaineers!!!! We are better than that!

I don't think this thread was started by an App fan. I don't read every thread, but it seems that I read more where other people say, "I'll bring up the Michigan game before you do" than I see where it's actually brought up by an App fan. Yes, we were VERY excited at first, and deservedly so. I think that most of us, however, realized, even before Wofford, that we were beatable. Do I think we blew it? No. Do I think we need to still take it one game at a time, not overlooking Western and Chatty? Absolutely. Do I think we have a chance at 3 NCs in a row? Yes. Do I think that it is a given, or even is going to be easy? Absolutely not. Now we just need to play some great football, which we are capable of doing, but not guaranteed.

Go App!

DSUHornet
November 9th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I agree with you in some ways. I wonder if they would have been ranked at the end of the year if they had won out.

probably not knowing this media

Black Saturday
November 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM
i agree. the michigan win was a pretty big thing at the time (and still is in my bookxbowx ); BUT those two losses really did take the luster out of it.

Injuries have a way of changing things, everyone on AGS doesn't seem to take those into consideration with APP and say we have a not so strong team. We'll just see when APP is more healthy in three+ weeks when we are rolling thru teams like crap through a goose again.

I have a feeling we will get a chance to exact 1 of those loses maybe 2 in the playoffs. We'll see how the brackets go if GSU and Wofford can get in. I really like our chance in rematches with either team. The playoff committee always enjoys rematching conferences.

Black Saturday
November 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM
When your QB is 180 pounds and runs the ball 20 times a game, odds are he will get hurt somewhere down line. Odds caught up with them and lost 2 games. Year wont be a dissapointment when they run through the field for their 3rd national championship in a row.

Someone who understands what key injuries can do to a team. Armanti has not been the only key injury for APP this season. xreadx
Thanks LEHIGH.

LehighFan11
November 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Someone who understands what key injuries can do to a team. Armanti has not been the only key injury for APP this season. xreadx
Thanks LEHIGH.

Yea to run a season undefeated you have to be a great team and have some luck. Edwards may have played in their 2 losses but wasn't nearly 100%.

lassic
November 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
good stuff, sort of wished I didn't start this thread,
yeah lousy title, should have made it a question instead of a statement
the intend wasn't to demean App's accomplishments.

ASU88
November 9th, 2007, 10:41 AM
My friend and business partner went to Michigan ... He says the UM boards are full of bitter people who want Michigan to schedule ASU again to get revenge. His response: it doesn't matter if Michigan beat ASU 10 times in row now-- ASU beat UM in that one game that counted (the first one). He thinks it's kind of funny that there will now be one conference that UM will forever have a losing record against...

I would LOVE to play Michigan again, especially if we were healthy. I don't necessarily think all the "magic" would return and we'd win again, but I think we could go up there and give another good game.

Close enough to give those who call that win a complete fluke pause to think, anyway.

Now pardon me, but I'm off to get ready for a trip up the mountain for the WCU game tomorrow! :)

smallcollegefbfan
November 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
UNI should be in the top 25 FBS IMHO...#23 sounds about right.

I would agree with that if they win the national title. I just don't see it though. UNI would have had to beat a top 25 FBS team for the voters up there to get it right. If you do win the national title and still don't at least, receive votes, something is wrong. Not sure you will but you should.

KiddBrewer
November 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
i think it makes the whole FCS look better, personally.

Sundown
November 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Michigan, App. St., Elon, Georgia Southern...doesn't matter who it is, it's...

Any Given Saturday...

ERASU2113
November 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM
If we play Michigan again......

it should be in Kidd-Brewer!

Regardless of how this year went. You can't really knock on what ASU has done this year and in the past.

30 home game winning streak
2 time defending national champions
2 time SoCon champs, once undefeated
I Calendar year without losing to a FCS opponent
Kept it somewhat close with a talented LSU team, (24-0 is better than most SEC schools)
Beat Michigan
The list could go on for these past 3 years, as it could for any school.

Just because of losing to two great teams in the conference doesn't really knock what's happened. It just proves the SoCon and FCS are really top notch and anything can happen.

Syntax Error
November 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Man, that is complete non-sense and the kind of thing only the ill-informed meat head would say out loud.That's what I said except I didn't call HiHi a name.

ASUG8
November 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I don't think so based on the strength of schedule. When you're beating up on Lenoir Rhyne, it doesn't really improve the quality of your season. Little to gain, but a lot to lose.

HiHiYikas
November 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
That's what I said except I didn't call HiHi a name.
And neither of you seemed to pick up on the part of my post where I said.

"It's hard not to slip up and lose to a "bottom feeder," much less an up-and-coming program."

Then added a note intended to give a little credit to the big underdogs, instead of writing off their victories to a "slip up." Then I started a new paragraph.

I obviously do not consider Wofford a "bottom feeder." Fact is, they're probably more than a up-and-coming program.

Bottom line is, teams that technically shouldn't beat conference foes do it every week. Whether it's a 1-6 over a 6-1, or a 3-0 over a 2-1, or a 2-5 over a 4-3. "Underdogs" (if you can call them that) win a lot of conference games.

ASUG8
November 9th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks LEHIGH.

And thanks for listing him at 180 lbs. - if he's 180, I'll eat his helmet. More like 165-170.

DSUHornet
November 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
If we play Michigan again......

it should be in Kidd-Brewer!

Regardless of how this year went. You can't really knock on what ASU has done this year and in the past.

30 home game winning streak
2 time defending national champions
2 time SoCon champs, once undefeated
I Calendar year without losing to a FCS opponent
Kept it somewhat close with a talented LSU team, (24-0 is better than most SEC schools)
Beat Michigan
The list could go on for these past 3 years, as it could for any school.

Just because of losing to two great teams in the conference doesn't really knock what's happened. It just proves the SoCon and FCS are really top notch and anything can happen.

xthumbsupx kudos

Maroons
November 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Maroons, are you kidding me? You don't know that your very own Colonels were undefeated in 1982 and the National Champs! 13-0 Baby! Regular season wins against Youngstown State, Middle Tenn, wku, Central Florida (as well as the rest of the OVC) and on the road to the NC, we beat Idaho, Tenn State and Delaware. Ahhh, what a fun year that was!!! Maroons you probably were not born yet, but a good EKU fan like yourself needs to learn some history!

Well... you're right about one thing... I wasn't born yet. Hoever, I thought I would let someone else look up the information and make the discovery and then I could act surprised. :D

I was also curious to see if anyone else had ever done it in the FCS/I-AA. And now I know that EKU is not alone in that category.

GreatAppSt
November 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Appalachian State blew it

xconfusedx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx That's a real knee slapper.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If you mean blew a perfect season yes we did, but then again every other I AA or FCS team since the start of the I AA experiment except three have blown it as well. I feel we are in good company even with 2 losses.xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
November 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I think it's turned out pretty good. Even if App State wins the national title there's no way it can be said that the FCS team that beat Michigan is at "a whole 'nuther level" than other FCS teams. As others have said, the fact that the FCS team that beat Michigan has two FCS losses makes FCS look better.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM
asu has had an incredible season that is not over the michigan game was a wonderful thing but our goal was never to go undefeated... WE BLEW NOTHING

flyenhigh
November 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Could not agree morexbowx xbowx xbowx

flyenhigh
November 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I would LOVE to play Michigan again, especially if we were healthy. I don't necessarily think all the "magic" would return and we'd win again, but I think we could go up there and give another good game.

Close enough to give those who call that win a complete fluke pause to think, anyway.
Now pardon me, but I'm off to get ready for a trip up the mountain for the WCU game tomorrow! :)

My bets are if App played Michigan again App would lose by 30. I would like to think the opposite though.xcoolx

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM
App State over Michigan is obviously the most positive example of a great I-AA/FCS against a strong "major" opponent but, historically, such a performance doesn't necessarily mean the I-AA/FCS is going to go on and just dominate its own subdivision. Most recent example, I think, is Eastern Washington losing by 21-19 to an Oregon State team that finished in the top 5...which is higher than Michigan's going to finish. It was Oregon State's closest win of the year. Eastern Washington ended up 6-5.

Another one I remember very vividly was then I-AA Arkansas State ending up in a 10-10 tie with an Ole Miss team that finshed 8-3-1 overall. The Indians also had a competitive 24-9 loss to a 6-5 Mississippi State team and beat Menphis State 30-10.

Arkansas State did do well in the playoffs and reached the championship game vs. Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern's one game against a I-A ended in a 35-33 loss to 3-8 East Carolina.

So I'm thinking Arkansas State's going to handle Georgia Southern because the Indians have shown they can play with solid mid to upper level SEC teams.

Wrong. Georgia Southern won the title game 48-21 and it wasn't even really that close.