PDA

View Full Version : Big South Football

DSUHornet
November 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Does the Big South get a automatic bid yet?

danefan
November 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM
No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Big South isn't eligible until 2010.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Big South isn't eligible until 2010.

Sounds right to me - they need to wait something like 4 years of having a core group together - with Stony Brook just being added this year to get to the minimum, the clock started this year. If it's not 2010 you're only off by a year or two.

DSUHornet
November 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
That is crazy. only because they have some really decent teams.

danefan
November 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Sounds right to me - they need to wait something like 4 years of having a core group together - with Stony Brook just being added this year to get to the minimum, the clock started this year. If it's not 2010 you're only off by a year or two.

I couldn't remember if it was 2 or 4 years. So if its 4 years that would make them eligible in 2012 as Stony Brook isn't a member until next season.

danefan
November 8th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Not such a great year this year. No Big South teams ranked in the top 25 in any polls I can find and there are no at-large worthy out of the Big South this year. Coastal was pretty good last year.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 03:09 PM

???

They just this year got the minimum number of teams required for an auto-bid - a waiting period to apply for an auto-bid's not a crazy idea - you need some stability and chance to plan accordingly. And the Big South didn't need an autobid with only 5 teams to get a team in last year - Coastal has made the playoffs twice now. An auto-bid is not needed for entry in the playoffs.

aust42
November 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Like who?

aceinthehole
November 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM

SBU is still an Indy this year. The clock begins next year (2008) and I think they only need 2 years together - so the Big South is AQ eligible in the 2010 season.

(BTW - that's why I think if the New England-4 split from the CAA and begin a new conference with at least 6 teams, they'd only have to wait 2 season for an AQ. And I have little doubt that, depending on the exact makeup of that conference, the conference champ would earn an at-large anyway xtwocentsx)

SuperJon
November 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Coastal has only made the playoffs once.

We have five conference teams this year. Stony Brook and PC join the conference next year. We will be eligible for an auto-bid in 2010.

We're the 10th rated conference this year. Because of PC's non-Div I status this year (they're black hole status), Liberty could only have lost one game to have the required 7 wins (two DIIs and PC). We lost in double OT to W&M and lost by a point to Toledo in the closing minutes. The way we're playing now, I feel we're a top 25 team and possibly playoff worthy. However, we didn't play well enough in the first half of the season to earn the spot.

DSUHornet
November 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
???

They just this year got the minimum number of teams required for an auto-bid - a waiting period to apply for an auto-bid's not a crazy idea - you need some stability and chance to plan accordingly. And the Big South didn't need an autobid with only 5 teams to get a team in last year - Coastal has made the playoffs twice now. An auto-bid is not needed for entry in the playoffs.

that's understandable

DSUHornet
November 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Like who?

Liberty, Coastal(before this year).
this wasnt a good year but in the past two years they have made themselves known

Seawolf97
November 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Not to rush things but I am looking forward to next year. I think it will be interesting to play a whole new group of teams that we never played before- along with our solid non conference schedule.

ATrain
November 8th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Not to rush things but I am looking forward to next year. I think it will be interesting to play a whole new group of teams that we never played before- along with our solid non conference schedule.

And we are very happy to welcome Stony Brook

rokamortis
November 8th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Take it easy on us please.

BlazerDawg
November 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I hope the Big South begins to thrive as I think that is where Valdosta State is aiming should we move to FCS, which is pretty much inevitable.

DSUHornet
November 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Was Stoney Brook in the same conference as Winston-Salem State previously?

danefan
November 9th, 2007, 09:47 AM

No. Stony Brook comes from the NEC (well one-year of indy also).
NEC Teams:
Albany
Central Conn.
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
Wagner
St. Francis
Duquense (next year)
Bryant (2012)

BTW, I think SBU will have a very good shot at making some noise on the Big South.

proasu89
November 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM

WSSU moved up from the DII CIAA conference.
http://www.theciaa.com/sports/fball/index

GannonFan
November 9th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Coastal has only made the playoffs once.

Yup, error on my part! :o In my defense, Coastal should've been a two-time playoff team - if they hadn't lost that game to Charleston Southern to end the 2005 season they would've made it that year.

bodoyle
November 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Yup, error on my part! :o In my defense, Coastal should've been a two-time playoff team - if they hadn't lost that game to Charleston Southern to end the 2005 season they would've made it that year.

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

And I was just getting over that.

bodoyle
November 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think the BSC is a good mid-level conference and has 2 good teams (liberty and ccu). They have both gone out and played difficult teams OOC and have had some victories (CCU - over jmu, furman, woff). SJ help me with lu's good OOC wins - I don't know their schedules in the past.

The other schools do not go out and play difficult teams, and if they do, they are getting smoked.

proasu89
November 9th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I think the BSC is a good mid-level conference and has 2 good teams (liberty and ccu). They have both gone out and played difficult teams OOC and have had some victories (CCU - over jmu, furman, woff). SJ help me with lu's good OOC wins - I don't know their schedules in the past.

The other schools do not go out and play difficult teams, and if they do, they are getting smoked.

We've played the Webb this year and last....and yes we smoked themxpeacex

CSU Girl
November 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

CSU Girl
November 9th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I am excited that Stony Brook is joining. I cant wait till Oct 18, 2008! Instead of a plane ride, all I have to do is hop on a train to see CSU!

bodoyle
November 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
We've played the Webb this year and last....and yes we smoked themxpeacex

But that's my point pro. I am saying the BSC teams play some decent teams, but none, other then CCU and maybe liberty have ever won a "big game". I could be wrong however.

CSUBUCDAD
November 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM

We are working very hard to schedule some tough OOC teams. Yep, we are getting smoked, but the difference is that they are just now starting to put the money into the program that Bennett had the benefit of right out of the gate at CCU. Give us 5 years at CCU's current funding level and we will be competitive as well.

Seawolf97
November 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I am excited that Stony Brook is joining. I cant wait till Oct 18, 2008! Instead of a plane ride, all I have to do is hop on a train to see CSU!

So I guess Charleston Southern is a home for us next good deal! Im excited about the step up we are taking . From the little I know we have a solid non -conference schedule with homes games against Colgate, Elon and Hofstra and on the road against -Brown and Maine. I know its a weird fit being from Long island but we should fit in after awhile.

Seawolf97
November 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Take it easy on us please.

We have had a rocky season playing Youngstown State, Hofstra and Richmond all ranked teams and we finish at Elon on the 17th no easy game there. I hope the Coastal game is in Myrtle Beach in 2008 perfect excuse to go back down there -play tourist and catch the game on Saturday. That is a great areaxnodx

Seawolf97
November 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
No. Stony Brook comes from the NEC (well one-year of indy also).
NEC Teams:
Albany
Central Conn.
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
Wagner
St. Francis
Duquense (next year)
Bryant (2012)

BTW, I think SBU will have a very good shot at making some noise on the Big South.

Thanks for the vote confidence from the almost Champ of the NEC for 2008xthumbsupx

SuperJon
November 10th, 2007, 06:24 AM
We are working very hard to schedule some tough OOC teams.

Is that why you travel to Wingate (DII) and Savannah St next year?

CSUBUCDAD
November 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Is that why you travel to Wingate (DII) and Savannah St next year?

They call that completing your obligation from previously signed contracts. We have Wofford on the schedule for the the next 3 years. We have Florida scheduled for the 2009 season and a couple of other prominent FBS team for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. Can't seem to find the article that laid all that out earlier this year, but just out of curiosity, why do you consistently find it necessary to belittle a program that is doing the right thing in building a program that is a consistent winner?

appfan2008
November 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
They call that completing your obligation from previously signed contracts. We have Wofford on the schedule for the the next 3 years. We have Florida scheduled for the 2009 season and a couple of other prominent FBS team for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. Can't seem to find the article that laid all that out earlier this year, but just out of curiosity, why do you consistently find it necessary to belittle a program that is doing the right thing in building a program that is a consistent winner?

well those are certainly an upgrade from sav st and wingate!!!

CSU BUCS
November 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Don't forget Miami in '08

CSU BUCS
November 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM
but just out of curiosity, why do you consistently find it necessary to belittle a program that is doing the right thing in building a program that is a consistent winner?

It's almost comical.

I think he must have been denied admissions to CSU.

SuperJon
November 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM

You answered my question. I was questioning your, "We're playing better schools" with a fact that contradicted the statement (playing at a DII and SSU). You answered that they were return trips from past years, and I can understand that (although I'm surprised you didn't buy out Wingate).

CSU BUCS
November 10th, 2007, 09:59 PM
You answered my question. I was questioning your, "We're playing better schools" with a fact that contradicted the statement (playing at a DII and SSU). You answered that they were return trips from past years, and I can understand that (although I'm surprised you didn't buy out Wingate).

Do you have CSU's 2008 Schedule?

I was told by Hank Small (CSU's AD) that we're no longer playing Sav. State.

I know that CSU's 2008 Schedule consist of the current four Big South teams + SB + PC, and The Citadel, Wofford, and Miami. That leaves two games. Can you verify that those games are the two that you mentioned?

SuperJon
November 11th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Unless things have changed in the last two weeks, you go to Wingate week 4, Miami week 5, and SSU week 7.