PDA

View Full Version : The Seeding Debate

UncleSam
November 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Assuming UNI, Montana and McNeese St all finsh unbeaten and Delaware, SIU, ASU and GSU all win out, how would you seed them for the playoff???

my seeds:

#1 - UNI - (11-0) - great win over SIU, good win over Iowa St

#2 - Delaware - ( 10-1) - great win over Navy, good wins over JMU & Richmond, OK loss to UNH

#3 - Montana - (11-0) - OK win over EWU or NAU

#4 - McNeese St - (11-0) - very modest wins over SHST and Nichols St

not seeded

ASU - (9-2) - super win over Michigan, good win over Elon, OK loses to Wofford & GSU

SIU - (10-1) - OK wins over YSU & WIU, good loss to UNI

GSU - (9-2) - very good win over ASU, good wins over Wofford & Colorado St, OK loss to Elon, bad loss to UTC

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Undefeated's are going to go first in my book:

1. UNI
2. McNeese St.
3. Montana
4. Delaware

UD gets the nod over SIU because UD would have the win over a better FBS team and because, most importantly, UD would've won their conference while SIU finished second. GSU and ASU would only have a shot if UD and SIU both lost one more - they aren't going to jump over a team with a better record.

They could swap Montana and McNeese, which could happen.

UncleSam
November 8th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Undefeated's are going to go first in my book:

1. UNI
2. McNeese St.
3. Montana
4. Delaware

UD gets the nod over SIU because UD would have the win over a better FBS team and because, most importantly, UD would've won their conference while SIU finished second. GSU and ASU would only have a shot if UD and SIU both lost one more - they aren't going to jump over a team with a better record.

I disagree, there are 'zero' quality wins to be found among the Montana and McNeese victims.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I disagree, there are 'zero' quality wins to be found among the Montana and McNeese victims.

And there are zero losses. Hey, we can debate the schedules all you want, but the CAA, Southern, and Gateway are going to be perceived as the best conferences, but the Southland and Big Sky are only going to be a little behind in terms of perception. An undefeated conference champion from either of those two conferences will merit a seed, and a higher seed than a once-beaten, by an FCS team, team even from the CAA. While I'd love to see UD get the #2 seed, the only chance of that happening is for UD to win out and hope Montana and McNeese each lose a game.

smallcollegefbfan
November 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Assuming UNI, Montana and McNeese St all finsh unbeaten and Delaware, SIU, ASU and GSU all win out, how would you seed them for the playoff???

my seeds:

#2 - Delaware - ( 10-1) - great win over Navy, good wins over JMU & Richmond, OK loss to UNH

not seeded

ASU - (9-2) - super win over Michigan, good win over Elon, OK loses to Wofford & GSU

GSU - (9-2) - very good win over ASU, good wins over Wofford & Colorado St, OK loss to Elon, bad loss to UTC

I didn't know GSU already played Colorado State... :D

How is losing to wofford an okay loss but beating wofford a good win? Shouldn't it be an okay loss or win or a good win or loss?

RAMS83
November 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Could Richmond possibly be a seed at 9-2?

wins over UNH, Delaware, JMU , W & M , Nova..

loss to 1-A Vanderbuilt and lost on last play of game to Towson..

obviously would have to win last 2 games.. but that would also give them a 6 game win streak and CAA title..

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 02:14 PM

obviously would have to win last 2 games.. but that would also give them a 6 game win streak and CAA title..

Not over a 10-1 SIU team they wouldn't get the seed. And the SoCon champ would probably be 9-2 and if that's Appy they would easily get it over Richmond. Heck, I think GSU gets it over Richmond as well. There could be a scenario where Richmond gets a seed, but it's highly unlikely.

UncleSam
November 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I didn't know GSU already played Colorado State... :D

xrulesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The big question in my mind is...SIU or Delaware, assuming that UD wins out and McNeese State, Montana, and UNI do also...that's a tough one. For now I think UNI, McNeese State, and Montana are givens.

GannonFan made a good point about Navy being better than Northern Illinois, but I also think UNI is better than UNH.

putter
November 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
With Montana's and McNeese's history of being quality teams, regardless of conference strength, will put them at 2 & 3 if they win out.

McNeese_beat
November 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I've kind of gone back-and-forth over who I expect to get the 2 seed and today I'm with McNeese (assuming, of course, they go unbeaten. If they lose one, they'll maybe get a first-round home game).

Here's why: McNeese has taken care of business.
1. McNeese has an easy schedule, but, to their credit and unlike Montana, the schedule did not look bad in the preseason. When you schedule a ranked Big Sky team (PSU), a Great West team with a lot of players coming back from a 3-8 year (SUU) and a middle-of-the-pack Sun Belt team (UL-Lafayette) and you're in a conference thas has sent six different schools to the final four in the last 12 years (SFA, Troy — no longer in the league — Texas St., Sam Houston, Northwestern and McNeese) you can reasonably expect some quality competition. So far, that hasn't happened, but it's different from Montana, which put together a much easier schedule.

2. McNeese has kicked the inferior competition in the rear.

The Cowboys have outscored their opponents by 198 points, an average of 22 points per game. And that certainly does not involve them running up the score. In the fourth quarter of games this year, McNeese has outscored its opponents by just one point, 52-51. The reason? McNeese empties the bench in the fourth quarter and almost goes out of its way not to run run the score.

Against SFA last week, McNeese played its third and fourth quarterbacks in the fourth quarter and went 3-deep on defense. McNeese's quarterback, Fourroux, has attempted only 13 of his 166 passes in the fourth quarter and he did not even play in four of the nine fourth quarters because the margin was so high.

Clearly, McNeese could have put up 50-60 points on people and "wowed" some folks with their dominance. But they've settled for scores like 41-20 (after being up 34-0 early in the third at SUU) and 38-17 (while taking a knee with over a minute still left inside the opponents 20 at ULL).

Simply put, McNeese has been dominant, but even more dominant than a cursory glance of the statistics would suggest.xasswhipx

89Hen
November 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Depends on what others do... they'd need help.

UncleSam
November 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM
The big question in my mind is...SIU or Delaware, assuming that UD wins out and McNeese State, Montana, and UNI do also...that's a tough one. For now I think UNI, McNeese State, and Montana are givens.

GannonFan made a good point about Navy being better than Northern Illinois, but I also think UNI is better than UNH.

A good win should be worth a whole lot more than a good loss.

sharkeycox
November 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM
With Montana's and McNeese's history of being quality teams, regardless of conference strength, will put them at 2 & 3 if they win out.

I agree with that. The caveat here is that they both finished undefeated. Montana stll has their rival game against Montana State and McNeese has a rivalry game with Nortwestern State and a game against a pretty good Central Arkansas team.

The Griz and Cowboys are not "one hit wonder" programs.

FCS Go!
November 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM

xnodx

Thats reality folks. Sorry if it hurts.

JayJ79
November 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM

As much as I'd like to see the Gateway get two seeds, I'm fairly sure that UD would get the win. Their resumes are pretty close to equal, so I would bet that the committee would rather give a seed to a team out east than have another one from the Midwest. Plus, I'm thinking they'd rather give the seed to another conference than a second one to the Gateway.

SO ILLmatic
November 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Delaware .... in the East
UNI ..... in the Midwest
Montana .... in the West
McNeese ..... in the South

it seems simple enough if the committee is going to award teams based on their records & quality wins, and then put them in "geographic" locations

HensRock
November 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM

UD could have lost to UNI just as easily as they did to UNH.
This is why you cannot compare teams based on losses.

pantherfan
November 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Delaware .... in the East
UNI ..... in the Midwest
Montana .... in the West
McNeese ..... in the South

it seems simple enough if the committee is going to award teams based on their records & quality wins, and then put them in "geographic" locations

Those seeds look good as long as SIU isn't relegated to playing at UD in the first round again...xnonono2x

URMite
November 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
UD could have lost to UNI just as easily as they did to UNH.
This is why you cannot compare teams based on losses.

Yes, you can, but only bad losses. Just like only good wins. Both with the Caveat that they have an equal record.

URMite
November 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Not over a 10-1 SIU team they wouldn't get the seed. And the SoCon champ would probably be 9-2 and if that's Appy they would easily get it over Richmond. Heck, I think GSU gets it over Richmond as well. There could be a scenario where Richmond gets a seed, but it's highly unlikely.

Exactly, so with a loss by SIU, ASU, GSU & I'll throw in UMass for good measure (to give us an unshared title) then yes we would get a seed.

There that should be easy.xwhistlex I'll start making my plans now.

Rob Iola
November 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Take this discussion in a different direction - which of these seeds would most likely make it to Chatty? which would most likely lose in the 2nd round?

What would the seedings be if based on a subjective ranking of how good the teams are?

Houndawg
November 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM

my seeds:

not seeded

I'm a little short of convinced that Navy was a "great" win. Any win over an FBS is a good win, Appy over Michigan is a great win. Navy also exposed UDs run defense for 340 yds on the ground and 506 total. YSU was #10 when SIU beat them and WIU was #19. If Navy is a great win, YSU is a good win. That said, Delaware gets the 4th seed if they win out, and with luck will get to experience the UNI dome's wonderful hospitality.

McNeese72
November 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I guess you would think that looking at the final scores of those games.

But you have to look at how the scores got there. We really haven't had a close game this season.

The Nicholls game was 28-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter and we emptied the bench and neither team scored in the 4th quarter.

The Sam Houston game was 31-14 until they scored a garbage touchdown with about a minute left against the last of the defensive players on the bench.

If you go look at the scoring by quarters of all our games, you will see that we usually outscore our opponents by a large margin early but we have been outscored in the fourth quarter because we have been emptying our bench in the fourth quarter.

Doc

nmatsen
November 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Those seeds look good as long as SIU isn't relegated to playing at UD in the first round again...xnonono2x

I would love to see SIU play at UD in the first round. If they win, then they would prove to everyone that they are the better team than UD to begin with and should have had the seed. If the lose then I will also be happy. Why, BECAUSE I AM SCARED TO DEATH TO PLAY SIU AGAIN!!!!!

Rob Iola
November 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I would love to see SIU play at UD in the first round. If they win, then they would prove to everyone that they are the better team than UD to begin with and should have had the seed. If the lose then I will also be happy. Why, BECAUSE I AM SCARED TO DEATH TO PLAY SIU AGAIN!!!!!

As a Hen fan I'd be up for SIU in the 1st round.
Then UNI
Then Wofford
Then Colgate, er, Fordham...

igo4uni
November 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM
That said, Delaware gets the 4th seed if they win out, and with luck will get to experience the UNI dome's wonderful hospitality.

It is a pretty hospitable place.

MSU_77
November 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I guess you would think that looking at the final scores of those games.

But you have to look at how the scores got there. We really haven't had a close game this season.

The Nicholls game was 28-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter and we emptied the bench and neither team scored in the 4th quarter.

The Sam Houston game was 31-14 until they scored a garbage touchdown with about a minute left against the last of the defensive players on the bench.

If you go look at the scoring by quarters of all our games, you will see that we usually outscore our opponents by a large margin early but we have been outscored in the fourth quarter because we have been emptying our bench in the fourth quarter.

Doc

And, against SHSU, we fumbled 3 times in their red zone. In any case, our modest win against SHSU was a slaughter compared to NDSU's near-loss to them.

JohnStOnge
November 8th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Me, I'm not concerned about seeds right now. I'm concerned about the fact that all of a sudden Northwestern State put up 500 yards of offense against Ole Miss and had a real chance to win that game.

I mean, I guess I'm concerned about seeds in the sense that I know McNeese has to finish undefeated to play at home as much as possible. But the first thing is to win the next game.

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM

NIU plays at Navy on the 17th. I'm not sure it is relevant.

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
It is a pretty hospitable place.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/laughingmouse.gif

igo4uni
November 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/laughingmouse.gif
Ok, ok............
The fabulous UNI-Dome: where SIU dreams go to die.

igo4uni
November 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM
1983 was a long time ago, skinny!!

HaveFunKc
November 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM

my seeds:

not seeded

Quick question. #3 Montana with OK win over NAU (21-16)? ASU not an OK win over NAU (34-21)? Because Griz won on the road and App won at home?
Trying to understand what an OK win means...

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

get over yourself already.

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Quick question. #3 Montana with OK win over NAU (21-16)? ASU not an OK win over NAU (34-21)? Because Griz won on the road and App won at home?
Trying to understand what an OK win means...

it means he's stoned.....xrolleyesx

bigskyrocks
November 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM
well in my books they go like this 1 UNI 2 Montana/McNeese 3 McNeese/Montana 4 UD mainly because the committee is going to try to set it up geographically were the 2 and 3 seeds being both from the west (or more west then anyone else) will get matched up on the bracket im not sure who is the better of the two but since im a griz guy i have to go with the griz right now.

bigskyrocks
November 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM
oh and just to throw this out there kind of a bargaining tool for Montana they have only aloud 10 first quarter points all season. and other then the two top offenses in the big sky scoring 31/23 PSU EWU respectivly no team has put up more then 17 against the griz

Tod
November 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM
oh and just to throw this out there kind of a bargaining tool for Montana they have only aloud 10 first quarter points all season. and other then the two top offenses in the big sky scoring 31/23 PSU EWU respectivly no team has put up more then 17 against the griz

If WSU keeps it up, they'll be the top scoring O in the BSC by Saturday evening. xeekx