PDA

View Full Version : Question: Who wants ASU in their bracket?

Black Saturday
November 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Provided ASU wins their next two games vs. Western Carolina and UT-Chattanooga and makes the playoffs, who out there is going to be glad ASU is their 1st rd opponent, or even a possible matchup in rds 2 & 3?

Just reading thru these threads, I feel the consensus on AGS is that APP has lost 2 games this season and are going to make an early exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeese75
You know, based on the losses ASU has had I think they are in for trouble in the playoffs. As you well know, you will more than likely have to leave KB for one of more of the playoff games and I think that will be trouble for the black and gold

Congrats again for the win over Michigan but that is not going to help you in the post season.

If this is the general feeling then who wants the committee to place your team and ASU in the same bracket?

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
You've got to beat everyone if you want to win it all, so bring 'em on! :p

MaroonMafia
November 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
To be the best, you've got to beat the best. Bring 'em on!

Grizzaholic
November 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I think App would be a great team to have in the bracket with Montana. Maybe 2nd round, maybe 1st round, I am pretty sure it won't matter. All of the teams, except from the usual 1 or 2, are quality programs and will be good games.

MaroonMafia
November 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
You've got to beat everyone if you want to win it all, so bring 'em on! :p

That's kind of creppy how close our responses were...

GannonFan
November 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't shy away from Appy St - the game would be in Newark, so that's one plus. And I like Cuff and Flacco's chances against that defense. Sure Appy would score too, but Appy has hardly been a juggernaut and good offensive teams have gotten the best of their defense.

LehighFan11
November 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I feel for whichever team has to play @ app st on friday in the first round. After that v. Montana or Delaware, they would be great games. Obviously app st's defense would have to step up if they want to defend.

ButlerGSU
November 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM
All 16 teams chosen for the playoffs will be quality teams. I highly doubt any of them are afraid of App, I know for certain Georgia Southern is not. Anyone can be beat on any given day. If they were invincible then they would be undefeated. This is a silly topic to be discussing.

proasu89
November 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
All 16 teams chosen for the playoffs will be quality teams. I highly doubt any of them are afraid of App, I know for certain Georgia Southern is not. Anyone can be beat on any given day. If they were invincible then they would be undefeated. This is a silly topic to be discussing.

Seems like the top 16 are VERY close this year. Anyone could get hot.

Retro
November 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I'd like to see App come to Lake Charles.. I'm sure it would have the most interest of any team in the playoffs to general fans..

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
November 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I would be absolutely thrilled to have App in my bracket! Of course that would mean my Flyers would have received an at large bid!! I have a good friend that is an App grad. I'm sure he would meet me at the game in Boone if Dayton was sent there!

AZGrizFan
November 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't shy away from Appy St - the game would be in Newark, so that's one plus. And I like Cuff and Flacco's chances against that defense. Sure Appy would score too, but Appy has hardly been a juggernaut and good offensive teams have gotten the best of their defense.

And that was my point in a different thread. Assuming the appropriate teams win out, any potential Griz game against a SoCon team would be at Wa/Griz, and I like our chances there. xcoffeex

LacesOut
November 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Would love to see them in Newark.

UMass922
November 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I would love to get another crack at ASU. And getting revenge at Kidd Brewer in front of all their fans would be especially sweet. UMass has won at Lake Charles in the playoffs, at Missoula in the playoffs . . . why not add Boone?

joecooll6
November 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Im hoping for an Appy/Montana second round game in Montana on TV when UNI isnt playing.

blueballs
November 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I would love to get another crack at ASU. And getting revenge at Kidd Brewer in front of all their fans would be especially sweet. UMass has won at Lake Charles in the playoffs, at Missoula in the playoffs . . . why not add Boone?

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the Friday afternoon game... and I don't want to hear anybody say that the committee won't pair two high ranked teams in the first round... see GSU(#4)/UNH(#5) in 2004.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2007, 02:13 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the Friday afternoon game... and I don't want to hear anybody say that the committee won't pair two high ranked teams in the first round... see GSU(#4)/UNH(#5) in 2004.

and UD/SIU in 2003, and JMU/YSU in 2006 - matchups like that happen all the time anymore.

UMass922
November 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Yup. JMU-YSU last year, too. There's definitely a precedent for it. (Although the way UMass is playing right now, they may not be so highly ranked should they make the playoffs.)

james_lawfirm
November 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Im hoping for an Appy/Montana second round game in Montana on TV when UNI isnt playing.

I'd prefer an ASU/Montana 3rd round game in Boone. xsmiley_wix

CamelCityAppFan
November 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Recent events notwithstanding, anyone who wants to face App @ KBS is, well, nuts...xpeacex

CamelCityAppFan
November 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I would not be surprised to see a playoff bracket (like last year) that includes the possibility of a Montanna/ASU matchup in the final...

grizband
November 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'd prefer an ASU/Montana 3rd round game in Boone. xsmiley_wix
I'd prefer an ASU/Montana 3rd round game in Missoula. xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 7th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'd be glad to go back down to the Rock. Although, we had beers flung at us last year, I still think the matchup would be a great one. App St. would probably win, but it would be really close. I think we could run fairly effectively all daylong much the way GSU did on you. I also think Armanti Edwards will be ready to play firing on all cylinders and would be just a bit too much at home in the playoffs for the Dukes to win.

But to answer your question, I would love another shot at App St. First off, that would mean we win both these next two games and get selected, which I feel is hardly a lock at this point. Doesn't really matter though, we'll be ready to welcome you to Harrisonburg, VA next year either way! ;)

ASUPATCH
November 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Playing App isnt as scary as it was maybe last year. But if we can finally get healthy against Western and Chatty than we will again be the favorites in my eyes. We have lost 2 to 3 starting olinemen and 2 back ups during any given game. Especially against go southern when at one point in the second half we were playing 2 back ups and a third stringer. We are also having a hard time keeping Tharrington on the field. When healthy I like our chances. When healthy and not turning the ball over I LOVE our chances.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
GSU isn't afraid of them. BRING IT ON!!!

Griz0383
November 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM
ASU will show the FCS that you must rip their heart out to beat them in the playoffs. Their are plenty of teams that are capable of beating ASU but I don't think anyone will. I would love to play them in Missoula on a cold winters night in a very intimate setting witch is 25,000 insane fans. I am not convinced we win but if ya gotta go out you might as well do with style. Last years game with UMASS on a friday night with ESPN and the lights was awsome. Froze my ass off though and I a montana boy!

Maroons
November 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The App. State game will probably get more attention than any other first round game by virtue of the Moutaineers win over Michigan and name recognition as a result. I'd love to see EKU getting a slice of that. The fact that the two schools have a series to continue only makes it sweeter.

walliver
November 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping to play ASU at a neutral site in December.xnodx

Of course, I guess I should be happy if we get to play anybody, anywhere in the playoffs.

UNHWildCats
November 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
for me the perfect bracket would allow UNh to play 4 of the 5 temas that have eliominated them from the playoffs (Samford in 1991 ain't gonna happen lol)

Appalachian State (1994)
Montana (2004)
Northern Iowa (2005)
Massachusetts (2006)

That would also allow Ricky Santos to avenge his only two career non conference losses (UNI and Montana)

AlphaSigMD
November 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM
ASU will show the FCS that you must rip their heart out to beat them in the playoffs. Their are plenty of teams that are capable of beating ASU but I don't think anyone will. I would love to play them in Missoula on a cold winters night in a very intimate setting witch is 25,000 insane fans. I am not convinced we win but if ya gotta go out you might as well do with style. Last years game with UMASS on a friday night with ESPN and the lights was awsome. Froze my ass off though and I a montana boy!

Still pissed about that OT loss in Wa-Griz. I think this years team is better than the team that lost in the semifinals. But in addition, ASU is a little tougher than anybody that's come into WaGriz in the last 2 years (meaning a LOT tougher than anyone other than UMass...and a bit better than them as well). I'd like our chances there. A lot.

OldTiredGriz
November 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM
After ASU lost to Wofford, Montana Coach Bobby Hauck said something to the effect of......the road to the national championship still goes through Appalachian State. I still agree with that comment (I'd guess Coach Hauck does as well.) The Mountaineers are going to be a problem for whoever they face, but the whole bracket is going to be tough. I think it has the potential to be the toughest ever.

ASUMountaineer
November 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'd prefer an ASU/Montana 3rd round game in Missoula. xthumbsupx

I agree. I want another shot at Montana. After 2000 I have wanted to get revenge on you guys. I don't care if it's in Boone or Missoula (it would have to be in Missoula this year unless there is divine intervention). The only team I would love to beat more than Montana is GSU (and that didn't happen this year)...the first place I'd like to play this postseason (pending we get there) is Statesboro. xnodx

APPride
November 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'd be glad to go back down to the Rock. Although, we had beers flung at us last year, I still think the matchup would be a great one. App St. would probably win, but it would be really close. I think we could run fairly effectively all daylong much the way GSU did on you. I also think Armanti Edwards will be ready to play firing on all cylinders and would be just a bit too much at home in the playoffs for the Dukes to win.

But to answer your question, I would love another shot at App St. First off, that would mean we win both these next two games and get selected, which I feel is hardly a lock at this point. Doesn't really matter though, we'll be ready to welcome you to Harrisonburg, VA next year either way! ;)

That will be fun to finally go to a game @ JMU instead of blasting by on I-81 like I have done for 25 years !

AlphaSigMD
November 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Also, its a little different going through the regular season for ASU than it is for any other team, outside montana, and maybe a very few others.

ASU gets everybody's best shot, every week (as does Montana). We can only prepare as well as we prepare on a week to week basis and play our game. Other teams look forward to these games, circle on the schedule, pull out all the stops and play their guts out more than other other game. Not saying that ASU played down or didn't give it their all, but lets just say "we're not gonna catch anyone sleeping". But then again, we shouldn't have to. Same goes for Montana, and maybe a very few other teams. All teams in the CAA obviously have difficulty falling into the category because there are SO MANY good teams on the schedule, that nobody can really focus on one team as "ohh...if we could just knock off UMass", because they play Delaware the next week.

Thats whats good about the playoffs. Everybody gives it their all, all the time, and you win or go home. Play with swagger and pride (not hofstra), because if you don't its all over. I fully expect ASU to be more impressive as the season wears on, and we will continue to look more and more like the Sept 1st team every week.

Because when we play like that...NOBODY can beat us.

UMass922
November 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Recent events notwithstanding, anyone who wants to face App @ KBS is, well, nuts...xpeacex

Call me nuts, then. The odds certainly wouldn't be in our favor, but the satisfaction would be enormous were we to pull off a win.

AlphaSigMD
November 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I agree. I want another shot at Montana. After 2000 I have wanted to get revenge on you guys. I don't care if it's in Boone or Missoula (it would have to be in Missoula this year unless there is divine intervention). The only team I would love to beat more than Montana is GSU (and that didn't happen this year)...the first place I'd like to play this postseason (pending we get there) is Statesboro. xnodx

Beat you to it.

Let's bring em back to Kidd Brewer again though, i'd like to see them in our house again! We won't lose there again!

APPride
November 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Call me nuts, then. The odds certainly wouldn't be in our favor, but the satisfaction would be enormous were we to pull off a win.

yeah that would SUCK, but man what a story line if that game happened this year in Boone...I would love to see it come about, it would be HUGE...(as well a a re-match in Chatt.!)

KiddBrewer
November 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
i hope if we make it back to chatty, it goes a little somethin like this

1st Georgia Southern
2nd Montana
3rd Umass/UNI/McNeese St/Wofford/Deleware

xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I'd like a rematch.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/sampb91c452a806361b5.jpg

Houndawg
November 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Of course I'd rather do it at our place, but I think if we hook up you'll find us at a different level physically than last year, noticeably faster on D. What worries me is that we've had some problems with running QBs and you sure do have one of those.

proasu89
November 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Yup. JMU-YSU last year, too. There's definitely a precedent for it. (Although the way UMass is playing right now, they may not be so highly ranked should they make the playoffs.)

That seemed totally absurd to have those two meet in the first round. Although I could be speaking out of my azz as I don't remember eithers record going into that game

JohnStOnge
November 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
This year, I don't think it's going to be possible to be in a bracket without some very tough teams in it.

pokum88
November 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
RESPECT EVERYONExbowx ,FEAR NO ONExnonox

ab4app
November 7th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I love all of my fellow asu'ers, dont get me wrong, but the last thing we need to do is be over confident going into the end of this season. There are a lot of really really good teams who all have a legit shot at the NC this year. We are without a doubt in a very good position but lets not make the whole fcs world hate us by all of us saying how good we are and all that crap, lets just go win, we should have some class and be quitely confident that we keep getting better , 9-2 doesnt allow for arrogance. And who cares if we are home or away, seeded or not, lets finish strong first , and then bring it wherever we go.

Lets Go APPS xnodx xnodx xnodx

Saint3333
November 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I agree this is silly question to ask biased fans on a message board, but a great topic to put yourself in a coaches shoes and ask who are the 2-3 teams you'd rather not face until Nooga.

For me personally I'd love to see the games between ASU and these teams, but the teams not I'd rather avoid would be UNI (best team in the land IMO) and Delaware (excellent running game).

Anyone else care to put their pride away and admit they'd rather not play ASU or any other team?

JohnStOnge
November 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Anyone else care to put their pride away and admit they'd rather not play ASU or any other team?

I was actually thinking before you asked that question that the team I'd least like to see McNeese have to play is Delaware. I wouldn't want to see them have to play Montana at Missoula either. But the difference is that I'd feel pretty good about McNeese playing Montana away from Missoula. I'd be real nervous about them playing Delaware anywhere.

I think part of it is the quarterback. I haven't seen him but he's obviously really good. Another thing is putting up 581 yards and 59 points on Navy. I realize that Navy isn't Ohio State but that was still a very impressive offensive performance.

Appaholic
November 7th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I'd rather not play UNI until the end......would love to play GSU early....give us a chance to get that monkey off our backs and give us a boost of confidence from redemption..

eaglesrthe1
November 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM
i hope if we make it back to chatty, it goes a little somethin like this

1st Georgia Southern
2nd Montana
3rd Umass/UNI/McNeese St/Wofford/Deleware

xthumbsupx

Well, you can't play a conference foe in the 1st round, but I'm sure that GSU would love to send half the stadium packing it early two times in the same season, just for good measure. It would just have to wait for the quarters.xsmiley_wix

Cocky
November 8th, 2007, 06:43 AM
The question should be who wouldn't want ASU in their bracket.

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Of course I'd rather do it at our place, but I think if we hook up you'll find us at a different level physically than last year, noticeably faster on D. What worries me is that we've had some problems with running QBs and you sure do have one of those.

Actually, as this season has shown, we have 2...xsmiley_wix

Heck, throw in Coco and we have 3!

CamelCityAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I'd rather not play UNI until the end......would love to play GSU early....give us a chance to get that monkey off our backs and give us a boost of confidence from redemption..

Amen, brother. Preach on.

ab4app
November 8th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I would love to see coco get more involved, I have been just waiting for him to go off in a gamexnodx . Also I hope DJ finishes up strong, we need that speedxnodx , he is over due to just go off in a game too. He played great last week, but I hope we get a couple more passes his way this week just to get him confident again should we make the playoffs. xnodx

ab4app
November 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
GSU in the playoffs, I want that one bad, dont care where we playxrotatehx xnodx xrotatehx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 8th, 2007, 09:32 AM
That seemed totally absurd to have those two meet in the first round. Although I could be speaking out of my azz as I don't remember eithers record going into that game

Both were 9-2 I believe.

appfan2008
November 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM
back to the question at hand...

i would love to have asu in my teams bracket bc that would mean we are in the playoffs!!!

Khan4Cats
November 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I would love to play Appy State, or anyone, anywhere. Obviously in the Dome would be great, but UNI has won 6 road games this year, they aren't afraid to hit the road. Not that UNI should have to worry about that this year if they take care of business the next two weeks.

ButlerGSU
November 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Be careful what you wish for, you might end up with two monkeys on your back...

CharlestonAppFan
November 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM

probably not gonna happen xnonox ....but if it does, they will be holding up the two championship trophies at least:D . I am wishing xprayx that we get that chance again though...xthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
The only games I wouldn't want UD to play is either at UNI (in the Dome) or at ASU. Those two venues would be tough to win at, not just because of the team involved, but because of the atmosphere. I don't mind any team coming into the Tub as I'd like our chances on the home turf, and I think this is the kind of year that Montana, even in Missoula, could be bested.

ball21
November 8th, 2007, 01:22 PM

This is our Christmas wish!

Let's play it again, since the first time was so much fun and it was a great game! The only thing we will be carry will be our goal post right pass all your players as we celebrate our victory and quest for our 3rd straight NC!!

Be carfeul what you wish for! It might be your worse nightmare ever!!

GO APP

blueballs
November 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM
This is our Christmas wish!

Let's play it again, since the first time was so much fun and it was a great game! The only thing we will be carry will be our goal post right pass all your players as we celebrate our victory and quest for our 3rd straight NC!!

Be carfeul what you wish for! It might be your worse nightmare ever!!

GO APP

The GSU folks had that for a head coach last year.xmadx

The Moody1
November 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM
The question should be who wouldn't want ASU in their bracket.

You must be talking about Alabama State University (ASU). 24-19 ring any bells?xsmiley_wix

THE HERD
November 8th, 2007, 01:59 PM
We would like to just have a bracket period, let alone whose in it!xlolx xlolx xlolx

THE HERD
November 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Forgot to say good luck to all playoff teams and we hope to be joining in on the fun next year!:D

Grizzaholic
November 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
We would like to just have a bracket period, let alone whose in it!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ain't that the truth. Too bad you cannot compete in the playoffs this year.