PDA

View Full Version : Furman at Western Carolina

Lumberjacks76
September 9th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Furman travels to West Carolina this weekend. Should be a fun game. Jacksonville State gave the Paladins all they could handle last weekend in a 37-35 Furman victory.

Western Carolina put away Mars Hill of Division II by a score of 21-7. The Mars Hill Lions finished 6-4 in the always tough South-Atlantic.

Last season the Catamounts were a disappointing 4-7, but did have quality wins against Nicholls State (28-7) and Appalachian State (30-27).

How will Furman vs. Western Carolina go? My prediction is:

Western Carolina 31, Furman 29

The Catamounts string the upset.

Paul

OL FU
September 9th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Nah, the Paladins will get beat sometime this season but it won't be this weekend. 31-17 Furman.

Lumberjacks76
September 9th, 2005, 08:03 AM
App State might win. So might Georgia Southern.

Depends.

Paul

OL FU
September 9th, 2005, 08:08 AM
App State might win. So might Georgia Southern.

Depends.

Paul

I will state here and now. It will not be four in a row for the Mountaineers.

PLEASE GOD DON'T LET IT BE FOUR IN A ROW FOR THE MOUNTAINEERS. WHAT EVER IT TAKES. I'LL GIVE UP DRINKING. I'LL GO TO CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY. I WILL SEND CAP'N CAT RELIGIOUS E-MAILS EVERY DAY, I OFFER MY FIRST BORN (he has been a pain in the ass lately anyway). JUST PLEAsE DON'T LET IT BE FOUR IN A ROW.

Amen.

OL FU
September 9th, 2005, 08:17 AM

PLEASE GOD DON'T LET IT BE FOUR IN A ROW FOR THE MOUNTAINEERS. WHAT EVER IT TAKES. I'LL GIVE UP DRINKING. I'LL GO TO CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY. I WILL SEND CAP'N CAT RELIGIOUS E-MAILS EVERY DAY, I OFFER MY FIRST BORN (he has been a pain in the ass lately anyway). JUST PLEAsE DON'T LET IT BE FOUR IN A ROW.

Amen.

PS, Dungeon Joe and I hang out on the same message board :D

Purple Knight
September 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Amen.

I really don't dislike ASU. It's just that some of their fans can ruin a good day. You know, when someone acts like they don't want to be here, you wish they would just leave. ASU doesn't like anything about the SoCon and doesn't mind telling everyone. Just leave, go away. May the loss this weekend be humbleing.

OL FU
September 9th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I really don't dislike ASU. It's just that some of their fans can ruin a good day. You know, when someone acts like they don't want to be here, you wish they would just leave. ASU doesn't like anything about the SoCon and doesn't mind telling everyone. Just leave, go away. May the loss this weekend be humbleing.

I don't dislike them either. I just don't want to lose to them.

blukeys
September 9th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Amen.

If you give up drinking FU, Can I have your stash of Jack Daniels? ;) ;)

OL FU
September 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM
If you give up drinking FU, Can I have your stash of Jack Daniels? ;) ;)

If I give up drinking, you can certainly have my stash of Jack Daniels.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OL FU, stop laughing until you see how the game results :eek:

blueballs
September 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Looking at this game from an outsider's perspective but with a degree of familiarity with the two programs, I can't see WCU having enough firepower offensively to take down Furman UNLESS Furman gives them some help with turnovers or badly missed assignments resulting in one play scores. WCU has a stout defense and they will play hard, it will be a physical game but I see FU winning along the lines of 24-10.

Eagle_77
September 9th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Im with blueballs on this one. WCU is the type of team that could get a couple of upsets this season but I dont think one of them will be this weekend. I think that WCU D will keep the score from getting to lopsided but I think after the close win last week Furman will look to open things up a little and quite the na sayers.

Im taking Furman 28-10

WCU LawCat
September 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Defensively I think we can keep Furman from putting up big numbers. In order for the defense to stay fresh, WCU has to keep the ball on offense for a little while. We don't usually do that. Our tailbacks need to run with purpose and the o-line needs to take advantage of a thin and young Furman D-line. All SoCon Darius Fudge has the ability to do some damage on the ground. Also, one of our Quarterbacks need to lead us to victory. Clark can't wait until the 4th quarter to start throwing touchdowns. Michael McQueeny is definately the future at QB and will probably get a little playing time. If he plays better then he will probably stay in. Briggs wants a victory bad. Should be a very nice crowd.

thirdgendin
September 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Furman travels to West Carolina this weekend. Should be a fun game. Jacksonville State gave the Paladins all they could handle last weekend in a 37-35 Furman victory.

Western Carolina put away Mars Hill of Division II by a score of 21-7. The Mars Hill Lions finished 6-4 in the always tough South-Atlantic.

Last season the Catamounts were a disappointing 4-7, but did have quality wins against Nicholls State (28-7) and Appalachian State (30-27).

How will Furman vs. Western Carolina go? My prediction is:

Western Carolina 31, Furman 29

The Catamounts string the upset.

Paul

38-17 Paladins.

Baldy
September 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Defensively I think we can keep Furman from putting up big numbers. In order for the defense to stay fresh, WCU has to keep the ball on offense for a little while. We don't usually do that. Our tailbacks need to run with purpose and the o-line needs to take advantage of a thin and young Furman D-line. All SoCon Darius Fudge has the ability to do some damage on the ground. Also, one of our Quarterbacks need to lead us to victory. Clark can't wait until the 4th quarter to start throwing touchdowns. Michael McQueeny is definately the future at QB and will probably get a little playing time. If he plays better then he will probably stay in. Briggs wants a victory bad. Should be a very nice crowd.

I'm worried about your O, Law. Eventhough Western will give up a few points, the Cats have a defense good enough to stop Furman when needed. I just don't think your offense will put up enough points.

FU 21 Cats 7

youwouldno
September 9th, 2005, 12:06 PM
It will be mighty tough for WCU to stop Furman's offense. Martin is a top 5 I-AA QB, we have 3 terrific TBs, and our fullback might be the best in I-AA and he's a sophomore [no, triple option FBs don't count]. And our O-line is experienced, good, and deep. Turnovers could be an equalizer but it's tough to count on those.

On the other hand, our defense looked a bit shaky at times vs JSU. If WCU executes they could put up some points. If Clark struggles that sure would be a tough assignment for McQueeney as a true freshman, but I would like to see him play.

Our special teams were really bad vs JSU but again, I'm not sure an opponent can plan on that happening again. It is something to watch for though.

FU 35
WCU 20

Mr. C
September 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Western Carolina's MO has always been to play the best SoCon teams close and then find a way to lose in the fourth quarter. So that is kind of what I expect to see. By the way, I-AA.org will be covering this game in person on Saturday night.

nick9c
September 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I think Furman's running game could be too much for WC to handle. If they stop the running game early, they may have a chance. Felton at FB is a beast, and I second the notion that he may be the best true (non-option) FB in I-AA.

Defense is Furman's weakness. Our D-line is thin, and if WC can set up an effective running game, it could be a long night.

I think the difference in the game may come down to turnovers.

FU 31 WC 24

OL FU
September 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Guess the only team to hold FU to less than 300 yards offense last year?

Not saying they can do it this year, but it is something to think about.

WCU LawCat
September 9th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Coach Lamb said in a Greenville news article about a month ago that WCU had the best front 7 that they played against all year long including Pitt. He said they just couln't run on WCU last year. Thats one of the things that gives me and WCU fans a glimmer of hope to knock off Furman on our own field. Last year it was a rough day for the WCU offense and Furman took WCU out 31-10. The offense left the defense out to dry and they wore down quick. I would post a link to the Greenville article but it was a while back.

WCU LawCat
September 9th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Yes Mr. C that has traditionaly been the case. Its frustrating. For outsiders there is no real reason to think that this contest will be any different. Maybe there will be enough MoJo in Cullowhee to get the job done. I'm thrilled to hear that I-aa.org will be at the game...now all we need is Ralph!

ChiefGSU275
September 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM
So all you "non-option" fb people are admitting that Austin is the BEST overall FB in the SoCon?? ;)

OL FU
September 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM
So all you "non-option" fb people are admitting that Austin is the BEST overall FB in the SoCon?? ;)

I don't think anyone is or wants to argue Austin's talent. I think they are stating the obvious, the up the gut fullback and the option fullback are different types of runners.

blueballs
September 9th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I don't think anyone is or wants to argue Austin's talent. I think they are stating the obvious, the up the gut fullback and the option fullback are different types of runners.

Very true.

fuEMO
September 9th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I think the Furman tailbacks will play a big role in the game. With Felton banging into the middle. I'm looking for Gipson to get the ball to the corners.

One thing no one mentions about the game last year between the Cats and Furman. The week before was the PITT game. Besides all the new faces playing the game on defense I thought it was one of the flatest performances by the Paladin offense the whole season.

citdog
September 10th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I hope WCU stomps the furple, and i think they will.....

Cats 24
Jesus Freaks 17

WCU LawCat
September 10th, 2005, 11:15 AM
We thank you for your support CitDog...but Jesus is just alright with me! ;)

GaSouthern
September 10th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Well lookie lookie what happend!!!! Go Cats!