PDA

View Full Version : Friday First Round playoff games???

GreatAppSt
November 6th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Anyone heard any rumors?

here is what I have.

Appalachian Ticket office has sent out a notice that if we get a first round game, it could be on Friday, Nov 23rd and that we won't know until the selection show has been made on Nov 18th.
xnonono2x

There is a listing from the ESPN website. ( Fri., Nov. 23 Div. I-AA Football
NCAA Tournament, first round 1:30 p.m. ESPN)
If there is a game on Friday, it could be a day game at 1:30. WTFxmadx

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2986748

Hopefully our standing as #1 in attendance out all of FCS, that we would get a Saturday playoff game. If we win out.

SeattleGriz
November 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Anyone heard any rumors?

here is what I have.

Appalachian Ticket office has sent out a notice that if we get a first round game, it could be on Friday, Nov 23rd and that we won't know until the selection show has been made on Nov 18th.
xnonono2x

There is a listing from the ESPN website. ( Fri., Nov. 23 Div. I-AA Football
NCAA Tournament, first round 1:30 p.m. ESPN)
If there is a game on Friday, it could be a day game at 1:30. WTFxmadx

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2986748

Hopefully our standing as #1 in attendance out all of FCS, that we would get a Saturday playoff game. If we win out.

Proof we are not big enough to tell ESPN what to do. They own us if we want any sort of coverage. :(

GreatAppSt
November 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Proof we are not big enough to tell ESPN what to do. They own us if we want any sort of coverage. :(

This could be the beginning of some serious $uck!xmadx

joecooll6
November 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I work at the dome and we were told to be ready on either Friday or Saturday for a possible playoff game. But they said that Friday was highly unlikely.

Im almost positive itll be Appy. Theyre the only one people around the country recognize.

GreatAppSt
November 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I work at the dome and we were told to be ready on either Friday or Saturday for a possible playoff game. But they said that Friday was highly unlikely.

Im almost positive itll be Appy. Theyre the only one people around the country recognize.

I hope it's not anyone!!!!

joecooll6
November 6th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I would be willing to bet money there will be a playoff game on Friday afternoon and it will involve Appy.

LehighFan11
November 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I would be willing to bet money there will be a playoff game on Friday afternoon and it will involve Appy.

Yea it will be @ app st v. a very good team like JMU/Umass/Richmond

Ud1Hens
November 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I could see Delaware getting the Friday day game. With them potentially playing Delaware St. it would be limited travel for them. (35 minutes).

BlueHen86
November 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I could see Delaware getting the Friday day game. With them potentially playing Delaware St. it would be limited travel for them. (35 minutes).
Also, ESPN ran stories earlier this year about Delaware - Delaware St.

mountaineertider
November 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM
If App gets the Friday playoff game, I am not going to Geology that day.

LehighFan11
November 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Also, ESPN ran stories earlier this year about Delaware - Delaware St.

Doubt it. No one would watch that game when LSU and Arkansas are on about the same time. Only chance to capture some of the FBS audience would be to showcase App St. I would think Delaware has a better chance of playing @ app on Friday than @ home on Friday. Think about how great a game that would be!

McNeese_beat
November 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I doubt if it would be McNeese. LSU plays Arkansas at 1:30 p.m. that day on CBS. The NCAA and ESPN would be crazy to put another Louisiana team opposite LSU either for TV viewing or attendance. Especially if LSU is still top 2 in the BCS

BlueHen86
November 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Doubt it. No one would watch that game when LSU and Arkansas are on about the same time. Only chance to capture some of the FBS audience would be to showcase App St. I would think Delaware has a better chance of playing @ app on Friday than @ home on Friday. Think about how great a game that would be!
The chances are slim that Delaware will be on the road in the first round.
If Delaware finishes 10-1 they will probably be seeded, if they finish 9-2 they will probably get a home game. If they finish 8-3 they might be out of the playoffs altogether.

LeopardFan04
November 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Don't forget that it's Thanksgiving Weekend...Black Friday...so you should be off, right? That's why there's friday games that week during the day...it's always the day of a few FBS games every year: Texas/Texas A&M, Nebraska/Colorado, LSU/Arkansas...I'm sure there's others...

mountaineertider
November 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Ah, I am very stupid. I would make the trip up here to see the game then.

But, I would stil not go to Geology :)

JayJ79
November 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Ah, I am very stupid. I would make the trip up here to see the game then.

But, I would stil not go to Geology :)

Head full of rocks? j/k :p

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Yea it will be @ app st v. a very good team like JMU/Umass/Richmond

Hahahahaha....LehighFan made a funny.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

;) ;) ;)

JmuSkinsfan
November 6th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Isn't that the Friday after Thanksgiving? Or am I mistaken? Because if it is, you don't have to worry about your geology class....and you can worry about me coming down and partying with you guys because if its @ Appy then you guys will probably host JMU!

joecooll6
November 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Its all about the $$$

Appy brings in more viewers than anyone cause they beat Michigan. It will be Appy.

appmountaineer
November 7th, 2007, 12:07 AM
ok...App will most likely not have the game. Last year App was offered a televised fri game and turned it down. Actually our chancellor turned it down. He doesn't like fri. games and will probably turn it down this year.

BDKJMU
November 7th, 2007, 01:21 AM
ok...App will most likely not have the game. Last year App was offered a televised fri game and turned it down. Actually our chancellor turned it down. He doesn't like fri. games and will probably turn it down this year.

ASU won't have any choice in the matter. Teams that are given playoff bids don't get to pick their game dates, times or who they play. The only thing ASU could do would be refuse to host, which they won't do. My $ is on ASU playing on Fri, Nov 23rd at 1:30 PM on ESPN at ASU.

straightshooter
November 7th, 2007, 06:28 AM
One of the pitfalls of beating Michigan. Now Appy is the "darling" of ESPN, and they will see this as an opportunity to promote a "name" team instead of two teams that most of America couldn't care less about. Appy could have a good crowd, even though students won't be on campus.

bluehenbillk
November 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Teams can't turn down dates/times, TV & the NCAA make those calls. The Friday game will either be App St. or a UD/DSU game.

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 07:30 AM
That would really suck if we get that thursday game... being that i am from atlanta... it will be really hard to get back for that game.... dangit that sux

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 07:30 AM
also i thought i read somewhere that espn was also going to have a thanksgiving day game is that true???

WVAPPmountaineer
November 7th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Friday afternoon game? - my thoughts --- while, as others say, APP is the national daring, I would think that both the NCAA FCS and ESPN would like to have a huge crowd for that game - I don't think App will have a large crowd for that first round game as we haven't in the past - Too many fans live 2,3-4,5+ hours drive away - I would think the ideal place for that Fri game would be Montana (they have a built-in local fanbase) and always have great turnout and Delaware for the same reasons (especially if there is a UD-Del ST matchup) ---

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Friday afternoon game? - my thoughts --- while, as others say, APP is the national daring, I would think that both the NCAA FCS and ESPN would like to have a huge crowd for that game - I don't think App will have a large crowd for that first round game as we haven't in the past - Too many fans live 2,3-4,5+ hours drive away - I would think the ideal place for that Fri game would be Montana (they have a built-in local fanbase) and always have great turnout and Delaware for the same reasons (especially if there is a UD-Del ST matchup) ---

I agree... while we may have around the best tv audience it wont be much better than ud or montana... who will actually fill up their respective stadiums... look at the last 2 years... asu has averaged like 8-10k for the first round... that sure wouldnt look good on espn

LacesOut
November 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I have a hard time believing any team or matchup will fill out a stadium on Black Friday. Even UD. Their first round playoff games in the past draw about 12-15,000k, not the normal 21-22k for the regular season. And even if they did play DSU, I don't see it selling out. There's just too much going on that Friday of that weekend. Hell there's too much going on that entire weekend.

appheel
November 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I think we'll fill up the stadium fine whether the game is on Friday or Saturday, maybe not the grass though. I know Thanksgiving games have had lower than usual turn-out in the past, but the holiday issue will be a problem on either day.

JMU Duke Dog
November 7th, 2007, 09:05 AM
If JMU beats William & Mary and Towson the next two weeks, then that Friday playoff game is most likely going to be JMU at Appalachian State. Appalachian State is now a household name and both teams are the last two national champions. It would also mark the second year in a row JMU got to go on the road to a very tough opponent (which is fine this year!) and played on a national ESPN broadcast.

putter
November 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Last year App did get to choose when it played. However, that was the Semi-final and ESPN was having one on Friday night and one Saturday afternoon. App was the top seed so they got to choose which game they wanted and they chose the Saturday game. I doubt anyone gets to choose their times for games before the semi's

ysubigred
November 7th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Holy crap!!!!!!!!! Quit bitching already!! I'm sure the Guins would take a Friday playoff game on ESPN or any TV game xbawlingx

Just play the F@!*ing game and be happy xmadx

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I hope it's not anyone!!!!
I wouldn't mind going to a Friday game. xpeacex

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Doubt it. No one would watch that game when LSU and Arkansas are on about the same time.
LSU/Arkansas is a big game? xeyebrowx xsmhx

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Even UD. Their first round playoff games in the past draw about 12-15,000k, not the normal 21-22k for the regular season. And even if they did play DSU, I don't see it selling out.
I think we'd actually have a pretty good shot if it's UD vs DSU... 20,000 reported as 15,000. xnodx

yosef1969
November 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Yea, I don't really get the concern here. It's Friday but it's a holiday friday. Students are on Thanksgiving break whether its Fri or Sat. For me it would be no different than a Saturday game, although I'd rather it be later in the day or better yet a night game, but it's the freaking playoffs so why gripe. The vast majority of folks are off the day following Thanksgiving I just don't see what the big deal is on this one. I would really enjoy sitting back on Saturday and watching all the other games, only of course if ASU pulls out the win.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Appy St's ability to bring in TV ratings won't be the reason they get picked or not - let's be realistic, the ratings for the games are going to be miniscule no matter who plays. It's a Friday afternoon game, opposite FBS games that draw real ratings. Whether the game is a 0.7 rating or a 0.8 rating isn't going to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I would really enjoy sitting back on Saturday and watching all the other games, only of course if ASU pulls out the win.
Great point there. Best of both worlds. Get to attend your game and then watch the others live. xthumbsupx

WVAPPmountaineer
November 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Appy St's ability to bring in TV ratings won't be the reason they get picked or not - let's be realistic, the ratings for the games are going to be miniscule no matter who plays. It's a Friday afternoon game, opposite FBS games that draw real ratings. Whether the game is a 0.7 rating or a 0.8 rating isn't going to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

You are probably right - what would your selection criteria be as to whom would play the Fri game?

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Seeing that the game is the day after thanksgiving, I doubt you would anyway.

As far as getting a Friday game.. What else do you expect? To get coverage over ANYONE that weekend?? ITS THANKSGIVING WEEKEND!!!

UGA - GA Tech
AUBURN - BAMA
CLEMSON - USC
ND - Their practice team
NAVY - ARMY
UF - FSU
etc- etc

Sorry guys, but the I-AA first round play off doesn't get precedence over any 'big time' rivalry. I know we all love I-AA and are dedicated fans, but a lot of the time that clouds our judgment of what the masses want televised. xbawlingx

GannonFan
November 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM
You are probably right - what would your selection criteria be as to whom would play the Fri game?

Any place that will look good on TV and draw fairly well - Montana, Appy, UD, McNeese all fit the bill. It may very well come down to who wants the job of getting ready for a Friday game on such short notice and who can have an opponent not have to travel far on Thanksgiving, if they have to travel at all on Thanksgiving. I think that rules out Montana as the opposing team would need to fly in by Thursday at the earliest. With such a short week, travel may very well trump everything.

mcveyrl
November 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Any place that will look good on TV and draw fairly well - Montana, Appy, UD, McNeese all fit the bill. It may very well come down to who wants the job of getting ready for a Friday game on such short notice and who can have an opponent not have to travel far on Thanksgiving, if they have to travel at all on Thanksgiving. I think that rules out Montana as the opposing team would need to fly in by Thursday at the earliest. With such a short week, travel may very well trump everything.

That's a great point. I think given that you would have to look at Del.St.-UD as a possibility or (if this Sat. goes the other way) Norfolk St.@Richmond or UR@NSU

aust42
November 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
It was just a couple years ago people were complaining about lack of TV coverage. I think it's great the 1st round will be on TV period. With all the State vs State schools playing that weekend it would only be appropriate for a historic Delaware vs Delaware State to be televised (assuming that plays out).

roysboi12
November 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I think it is safe to assume that Appalachian will either play the 1:30 Friday (11/23) game on ESPN or the 3:30 Saturday (11/24) game on ESPNU. Provided they win out of course

RAMS83
November 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Fordham will travel to Delaware for the Friday afternoon ESPN game. Im starting to hope Delaware St doesnt make the field.. so Fordham can play the Hens anyway... More the crowd-tailgating-atmosphere--than any disrespect to your squad.. I volunteer the Fordham Rams @ Delaware--in fact Ill book the hotel now.. lol

OldTiredGriz
November 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
No matter who plays on Friday, I'll be parked on my sofa watching the game. My uneducated guess is the telecast will be live from Boone, NC....largely because ASU is the 2-time defending champ and has the signature win over Michigan.

montanafan
November 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Every one of you have this predetermined concept that App is a guarantee home game team. They still have two games left and if they loose both games (however unlikely) they are out. Lets not count our chickens before they hatch and never ever say you won until the end of the final period. Just ask Umass fans.. xrulesx xrulesx

Grizzaholic
November 7th, 2007, 12:14 PM

And why, if I may ask, do you have school after Turkey day? Isn't school out for the week?

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think we'll fill up the stadium fine whether the game is on Friday or Saturday, maybe not the grass though. I know Thanksgiving games have had lower than usual turn-out in the past, but the holiday issue will be a problem on either day.

not true at all... as a student i can honestly say it is A LOT easier to get back for a saturday game than a friday game and there is no doubt attendance would take a hit if the game was played on Friday

appfan2008
November 7th, 2007, 12:41 PM
And why, if I may ask, do you have school after Turkey day? Isn't school out for the week?

school is only out wednesday, thursday, and friday and you must not have read the entire thread because he later corrected himself!

Grizzaholic
November 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I read the whole thread, must have had a brain fart. My bad.

Kosty
November 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Lets not count our chickens before they hatch and never ever say you won until the end of the final period. Just ask Umass fans.. xrulesx xrulesx

Really?? Ask us?? xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/120806aaa.html

LehighFan11
November 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
LSU/Arkansas is a big game? xeyebrowx xsmhx

I would consider the #2 BCS ranked team v. one of the heisman frontrunners has a big game. LSU will have to win the game to stay #2, and probably need to win big. Alot of people will tune in to find out how McFadden does v. LSU's defense. This game could decide who plays in the national championship game and who in the heisman.

putter
November 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Really?? Ask us?? xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/120806aaa.html

I think he was referring to how people had UMass penciled in as the #2 seed because of the games you had left. You then lost to a cellar dwelling Rhode Island team. Any Given Saturday.

appmountaineer
November 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
you're correct, last year i was at the sat. game after thanksgiving and the stadium had a lot less students than any other game.
However i wouldn't really mind having the fri game...I was just saying earlier that we didn't have a fri game last year but that was in the semis where we did have some say.

CamelCityAppFan
November 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Friday, Saturday, Thursday, Doomsday.

I'll just be glad (and in attendance) if we have a first-round home game.

nevadagriz
November 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I would love it if it was Montana! Hell any nationally televised game is ok with me, thanksgiving would work too. However that would be a what 11:30 kickoff? As far as teams traveling don't they almost always have thanksgiving dinner in missoula on thursday even when the game is sat?
I actually think it would be a advantage to whom ever gets to host that game. Selection on sunday will have to travel by wed most probably( except dsu vs ud ) not much prep time???

Mountaineer#96
November 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM
most of the fan base has class or work at 1:30pm .......what a mess

Grizaholic17
November 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM

won't happen.

Peems
November 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
won't happen. If it does, then no one will watch it anyway because mostly everyone is at work or school. Sucks to be you I guess.

Have you read the thread? It's thanksgiving weekend no one will be at school or work

89Hen
November 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
most of the fan base has class or work at 1:30pm .......what a mess
xeyebrowx I would say a majority of people around the country (except service industry) take that Friday off.

Griz40
November 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Being down here in Texas I would love the Griz to play that Friday. Don't know how many other Griz fans would agree with me but bring that one on!!! On ESPN not EpsnU???? PLEASE!!!! Let the other team worry about the travel arrangements!!!!