PDA

View Full Version : Remaining winless teams

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I brought this up in the Game of the Week thread, but I thought it deserved its own. Six teams still have a shot at winless seasons. Here they are, with their remaining games:

Indiana State (0-10): @ Northern Iowa
Southern Utah (0-9): @ South Dakota State; @ Northern Iowa
La Salle (0-8): @ Duquesne; vs. St. Francis (PA)
North Carolina A&T (0-10): @ South Carolina State
Stephen F. Austin (0-9): @ Central Arkansas; @ Northwestern State
Texas Southern (0-9): Arkansas-Pine Bluff; @ Houston

Any chance that one or more of these teams finally wins one? SFA over Northwestern State and Texas Southern over UAPB are the likeliest possibilities, I would imagine--but "likeliest" is a relative term here. (And boy, UNI gets to take an absolute vacation these last two games--though having already wrapped up an auto-bid, they've earned it.)

Go...gate
November 5th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I can't help thinking, with much regret, that LaSalle will finish 0-10 and shut the program down. :(

Seawolf97
November 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I can't help thinking, with much regret, that LaSalle will finish 0-10 and shut the program down. :(

A very real possibilityxsmhx

Cobblestone
November 5th, 2007, 08:02 PM
If any of those teams wants to replace their head coach at the end of the season I would gladly nominate Tim Stowers for the job.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM

It probably wasn't even fair of me to include La Salle on this list. They've lost to Ursinus, the College of New Jersey, Geneva College, and Assumption this year. They've lost to Sacred Heart by 40 and to Iona by 53, and they'd probably lose to all of the other winless teams on this list by about as much. I don't know what anyone could possibly do with such a program.

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'd be willing to bet a buck Indiana State goes winless.
xnodx

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Notably absent from the list, I just realized, is Savannah State. Apparently they beat Johnson C. Smith.

blackfordpu
November 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
There is a good chance SFA goes winless. Central Arkansas is beating the hell out of the other SLC teams and the Demons are always tough to beat at home.

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I wonder if TxSo fires their head coach if he goes winless...

SFA, they have a first year head coach, so I do not see them doing anything. They've got some very fun to watch young players who will grow with the team as they try to get their footing back...

catamount man
November 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
If it were not for sheer pride not to lose to PC back on September 22, my beloved Catamounts would be on this list.

DAMN YOU KENT BRIGGS!!!xmadx xmadx xmadx

813Jag
November 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I brought this up in the Game of the Week thread, but I thought it deserved its own. Six teams still have a shot at winless seasons. Here they are, with their remaining games:

Any chance that one or more of these teams finally wins one? SFA over Northwestern State and Texas Southern over UAPB are the likeliest possibilities, I would imagine--but "likeliest" is a relative term here. (And boy, UNI gets to take an absolute vacation these last two games--though having already wrapped up an auto-bid, they've earned it.)
Texas Southern finishes with UAPB and UH I don't think they'll win either. They're really banged up.

appfan2008
November 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM
what went so wrong at LaSalle?

terrierbob
November 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Ditto on Appfan's question. How did it get to this? I feel for those kids.

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM

WHOA Savannah State actually won this year? xlolx xlolx

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Against Johnson C. Smith, for what it's worth. I'm still not sure that Savannah State has ever won a game against a D-I opponent. Does anyone know?

In any case, it's too bad they didn't hook up with La Salle while they still had the chance . . . that could actually have been a winnable game for them.

crunifan
November 5th, 2007, 11:11 PM

1-8! I sense the Tigers are on their way up in the FCS ranks! xlolx

BearsCountry
November 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I'd be willing to bet a buck Indiana State goes winless.
xnodx

Oh come on this is the week that UNI falls from #1. xrolleyesx

BearsCountry
November 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I think Indiana State and Savannah State should schedule each other.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Texas Southern finishes with UAPB and UH I don't think they'll win either. They're really banged up.

What happened to UAPB this season, by the way? Big drop off from last year. Is it that the SWAC is just a lot stronger this year (which seems to be the case), or is it something else (e.g., graduation losses, injuries, etc.)?

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I think Indiana State and Savannah State should schedule each other.

I agree wholeheartedly. That's the game we've all been dying to see. Perhaps we can fix them up in some kind of bowl game against each other. Heck, make it the undercard for the championship game in Chattanooga. A little pre-game entertainment.

You would think one of them would have to win, but maybe the universe would just implode instead . . . so perhaps we'd better not risk it.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
What happened to UAPB this season, by the way? Big drop off from last year. Is it that the SWAC is just a lot stronger this year (which seems to be the case), or is it something else (e.g., graduation losses, injuries, etc.)?

Pine Bluff lost many offensive linemen this season to graduation.

DOME
November 6th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Kind of have to wonder what SUU could do with an easy schedule. If they played in the Big Sky they'd be going for an undefeated season and crying about not being #1....Just kidding :)

Seriously though I'm not sure if I want to go to UNI's next two games, don't see much point beyond tailgating....

JayJ79
November 6th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Seriously though I'm not sure if I want to go to UNI's next two games, don't see much point beyond tailgating....

and that's not reason enough in itself? and you call yourself a football fan... xnonono2x

But I see your point. As much as I'd like to see them have an unprecidented (for them) third straight sellout, I'm just not sure it's going to happen.
And I really don't know about the SUU game, since that weekend is the start of a weeklong break for students

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Has Savannah State beat someone this season?

813Jag
November 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM
It's a combination of things, their O-Line is really young this year (which hurt their running game), inconsistency at QB, and also the breaks they got last year went against them this year. They got hot late last year, those same games they lost this year.The SWAC is improving this year.

The Cats
November 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Only by the grace of scheduling PC this year is WCU not among the winless.

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Any chance that one or more of these teams finally wins one?
C'mon Rabbits and Cats... I want me my Griz cap! :D

Mr. Tiger
November 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM
It's a combination of things, their O-Line is really young this year (which hurt their running game), inconsistency at QB, and also the breaks they got last year went against them this year. They got hot late last year, those same games they lost this year.The SWAC is improving this year.

I agree. UAPB's offensive line is very young. I think they are improving. And the SWAC is indeed stronger than last year. UAPB will beat Texas Southern. TSU will finish the season winless. xnonono2x

UAalum72
November 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Against Johnson C. Smith, for what it's worth. I'm still not sure that Savannah State has ever won a game against a D-I opponent. Does anyone know?
Since becoming I-AA in 2001, Savannah St. has two I-AA victims - 14-9 over South Carolina St. in 2001, and 41-34 over Norfolk St. in 2004.

However, Boogs still values them more than NEC teams.

Gotta think La Salle may have a chance against St. Francis, but they're still underdogs.

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 08:53 PM

If the SUU/SDSU game was in Utah, I'd say they had a shot at upsetting the Rabbits, but, alas, it is in Brookings, so I'm pretty sure it won't happen...

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Kind of have to wonder what SUU could do with an easy schedule. If they played in the Big Sky they'd be going for an undefeated season and crying about not being #1....Just kidding :)

We're sorry, the position of smarta** dickhead is already filled here at AGS. We thank you for your application. Don't call us, we'll call you.

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

WyomingGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
If there's still any teams out there without a win, and they're in the Atlantic Colonial, they'd still be in the Top 25.

Why not, Northeastern and Rhode Island got votes this week.

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
If there's still any teams out there without a win, and they're in the Atlantic Colonial, they'd still be in the Top 25.

Why not, Northeastern and Rhode Island got votes this week.

We're sure you mean Colonial Athletic Association, but we get your point.

WyomingGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah, that...

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that...

You know, for a guy who I tabbed as the AGS equivalent of Edgar Allen Poe recently, you better get your ***** together. xnodx xcoolx xcoolx

WyomingGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Maybe I just have nightmares from last years' Third Round game. Same conference I believe.

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Maybe I just have nightmares from last years' Third Round game. Same conference I believe.

That's no excuse, Edgar.

Don't let me down again. xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

WyomingGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I hope I don't. Damn. Got to get to Chatty somehow this year. Even if we have to host all three games to do so.

ErksEagles
November 7th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Apparently Savannah State beat Johnson C. Smith 24-10.