PDA

View Full Version : All About the D-I Football Championship <---Updated at CSN

CSN-info
November 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
All About the D-I Football Championship
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82975

The NCAA added this to the info:
Automatic Qualification Criteria/Process

The Division I Football Championship Committee will annually make the determination of which eligible conference will recieve automatic qualification. The following criteria are used when determining which conferences shall receive annual automatic qualification for the NCAA Division I Football Championship:

1. Nonconference records;
2. Strength of nonconference opponents;
3. Recent postseason history; and
4. Competition against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents.

The Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet policy stipulates that for the Division I Football Championship at least 50 percent of the bracket shall be reserved for at-large selections, and no more than 50 percent of the bracket shall be available for automatic qualification of eligible conferences.

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM
*** 11/18/07: Selection Sunday
8 At-Large schools are named to join 8 Conference auto-qualifier champions (Atlantic 10, Big Sky, Gateway, MEAC, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern and Southland) in the D-I Football Championship Bracket.

So since the A-10 has the AQ can UNH claim membership in the A-10 while the other 11 remain CAA and steal the AQ :p

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
WEST REGION
California Polytechnic State University
University of California, Davis
University of San Diego
Southern Utah University

Hmmm so despite all the fuss from the davis boys, University of California, Davis is the proper name ;)

Cocky
November 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Austin Peay can't win the OVC AQ? They are listed in the at large category.

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I think the info was from last year... Hence them using Atlantic 10 as opposed to CAA. So Austin Peay was indy lsat year so listed with at large

walliver
November 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
The following criteria are used when determining which conferences shall receive annual automatic qualification for the NCAA Division I Football Championship:

I find it interesting that the strength of the conference itself is NOT a criterion

CSN-info
November 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Sorry about the cut and paste errors.

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry about the cut and paste errors.

Dont sweat it, your a busy guy, no one expects perfection all the time. Keep up the great work :)

McNeese_beat
November 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I find it interesting that the strength of the conference itself is NOT a criterion

Well, I think this formula is to define the strength of the conference...whether it's strong enough to get an AQ...

putter
November 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM
First round played on November 24 & 25? Is that a typo because the 25th is a Sunday?

TheValleyRaider
November 5th, 2007, 05:59 PM
First round played on November 24 & 25? Is that a typo because the 25th is a Sunday?

You didn't hear?

The much-anticipated Delaware-Delaware St. first round matchup will be shown live on Sunday Night Football

texcap
November 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
The following criteria are used when determining which conferences shall receive annual automatic qualification for the NCAA Division I Football Championship:

The four items listed are what really determines the strength of the coference because it impossible to evaluate a conference using just the conference games. After all every conference winning percentage is .500 xsmiley_wix

EKU05
November 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I have a question. The playoff ticket order form I got from EKU states that first round games could be on either the 23rd or 24th. However, I saw on the NCAA website that it only says the 24th.

1. Are there going to be first round games on Friday?
2. Given the Holiday nature of the week would Friday games possibly be during the day...or only at night?

I ask the second question because I work in retail, and that day is "Black Friday." A day game that day would really suck from my end. Other than that I'm in the clear.

appfan2008
November 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I read somewhere that one of the first round games will be on Thursday Thanksgiving day on ESPN... I would hate that... did anyone else hear that?

JayJ79
November 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM
haven't heard anything about a Thursday game. But the UNI athletics director stated that there would be one first round game played on Friday (I'm guessing in order to accomadate TV coverage)

Syntax Error
November 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Nothing from the NEC/Dane fans about this?????????
Automatic Qualification Criteria/Process

The Division I Football Championship Committee will annually make the determination of which eligible conference will recieve automatic qualification. The following criteria are used when determining which conferences shall receive annual automatic qualification for the NCAA Division I Football Championship:

The Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet policy stipulates that for the Division I Football Championship at least 50 percent of the bracket shall be reserved for at-large selections, and no more than 50 percent of the bracket shall be available for automatic qualification of eligible conferences.

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.net/Sites/csn/article.asp?articleid=82975
2007 D-I Football Championships ESPN Television Coverage:

First Round Game, Live on ESPN HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Friday, November 23 at 1:30 p.m. ET

First Round Game, Live on ESPNU
Saturday, November 24 at Noon or 3:30 p.m. ET

Quarterfinal Games, Live on ESPN Syndication/ESPN GamePlan/ESPN 360
Saturday, December 1 at Noon ET
Saturday, December 1 at 3:30 p.m. ET
Saturday, December 1 at 7 p.m. ET
Saturday, December 1 at TBA

Semifinal Game, Live on ESPN2 HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Friday, December 7 at 8 p.m. ET

Semifinal Game, Live on ESPN HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Saturday, December 8 at 4 p.m. ET

National Championship – Live on ESPN2 HD/ESPN 360 simulcast
Friday, December 14 at 8 p.m. ET

Syntax Error
November 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Keeps getting better and better every year! xnodx

igo4uni
November 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Keeps getting better and better every year! xnodx

Yup!

CSN-info
November 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
2007 NCAA D-I Football Championship Info
College Sporting News

Complete coverage of the 30th Annual Division I Football Championship. Updated bracket for each round. Links to recaps, stats, TV, online audio, Championship Handbook, Past Championship Records and Game Results.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89142

UAalum72
November 21st, 2007, 01:39 PM
Nothing from the NEC/Dane fans about this?????????
Didn't even notice this thread. But now that Eastern Illinois has an at-large, let's examine them against the criteria:

One win, two losses - doesn't look like playoff material there

Lost to 4-7 Illinois State; beat 0-11 Indiana State; lost to 7-5 Purdue - nothing impressive there

3. Recent postseason history;
Does anyone in the OVC really want to go here?

and
EIU lost to Purdue 52-6. Does 'competition' mean just showing up, or shouldn't you have to WIN to get credit? Did EIU show up for this game?

Can you tell me how EIU gets an at-large based on the stated criteria? Exactly how much credit do you get for losing 52-6 to a middle-of-the-road FBS team that's ranked behind McNeese in Massey's rankings?

CSN-info
November 25th, 2007, 01:38 PM
All the opening round info was added yesterday after the games (recaps and stats) and the bracket updated. The new NCAA pdf bracket is now up with all the start times for the quarterfinals.

Click on the "COMPLETE D-I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP INFORMATION" banner or here:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
GAME TIMES FOR SATURDAY:

UD @ UNI - 1pm CST
UMass @ SIU - 3:30 EST
EWU @ ASU - 12:05 EST
UR @ Wofford - 7:00 EST

All games televised on ESPN Gameplan

CSN-info
November 28th, 2007, 10:32 AM
GAME TIME CHANGE

12/1 Massachusetts at No. 4 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS *3:15 p.m. ET

updated info and bracket:

CSN-info
November 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
All info is updated.

CSN-info
December 2nd, 2007, 03:23 AM
updated of course

CSN-info
December 8th, 2007, 01:50 PM
updated yesterday

CSN-info
December 8th, 2007, 10:16 PM
CSN will have three writers and several photographers in Chattanooga for the big game. See you there.

CSN-info
December 9th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Updated again:

INFO
Delaware will be the visiting team on the scoreboard and will stay at the Chattanooga Marriott. Their fans will sit on the North side of the stadium opposite the pressbox. Appalachian State will be the home team on the scoreboard and will be staying at the Sheraton Read House. Their fans will sit on the South side of the stadium.

CSN-info
December 12th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Updated again with gameday online audio and stats links.