PDA

View Full Version : GAME OF THE WEEK - WEEK 11 (11/10)

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM
There are obviously a lot of games this week that have playoff implications for one of the teams involved, but there are too many of those to include in a single poll. So I've decided to limit it to the four games which seem to clearly have playoff implications for both teams involved. (If I've missed an obvious one, point it out and I'll fix it.)

As always, if you don't like the choices, make your own poll.

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
UNH at UMass

Duh!

It was already the best gmae with two of the top teams in the nation playing. Now it maybe a must win for both teams. Though UMass has a bit more breathing room

OldTiredGriz
November 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I'm going to waffle and call a tie between UNH @ UMASS and Richmond @ Delaware. The CAA is the hotbed this weekend. But then again, the SoCon has some big ones on tap as well. I enjoy reading all the playoff scenarios being put up on the board, but we have 2 weeks of football left and I'm an old school, one game at a time, sort of guy.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Obviously I'm most invested in the UMass-UNH game, and I'll be following the other CAA game with great interest, but after careful consideration, I've decided to go with Eastern Illinois @ Jacksonville State. This is the only one of the four which is guaranteed to eliminate whichever team loses:

In the UMass-UNH game, UNH will be out with a loss, but UMass could lose and still be alive for an at-large bid if it wins its last game to finish 8-3.

In the Delaware State-Norfolk State game, Norfolk State would be done with a loss, but Delaware State could lose and still win its last game to finish 9-2 and have at least a chance at an at-large bid.

In the Richmond-Delaware game, whichever team loses will still likely make the playoffs if it can recover and win its last game.

So EIU-JSU seems to me the only one of the four that is an absolute do-or-die for both teams. But the winner will still have to take care of business in its season finale to have a chance at claiming an at-large bid out of the OVC.

BlueHen86
November 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Looks like I'm the first to vote for Norfolk St - DSUxthumbsupx

I'd love to see DSU - UD.xnodx

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I dont know, UMass isnt guaranteed at 8-3. There schedule was weak and losing to UNH wouldnt be good for them...

SeattleGriz
November 5th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Had to pick Norfolk vs Delaware St.

This game will most likely decide who is going to be representing the MEAC in the playoffs. Going from memory, I don't think either has been to the playoffs recently, if ever, so that makes it the game of the week for me.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM

That one's a very close second for me. And I'm actually more interested in the outcome of that game than the OVC game I picked (in fact, the EIU-JSU interests me the least of the four games . . . I guess I was trying way too hard to make a logical choice . . . DSU-NSU would be my gut pick).

ErksEagles
UNH @ UMASS gets my vote. Both teams will be looking for win after their upsetting losses last week.

AggieFinn
North Dakota State @ Cal Poly

putter
November 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Gotta go with UNH/UMass. With their losses both teams could put themselves on the bottom looking up at the playoffs.

semobison
November 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM
NDSU at Cal Poly!!!!

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
NDSU at Cal Poly!!!!

nah, barely any implications on the playoffs. Poly is a very long long shot and well NDSU could win by 200 and there still not going to the playoffs so:p

Grizalltheway
November 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM
nah, barely any implications on the playoffs. Poly is a very long long shot and well NDSU could win by 200 and there still not going to the playoffs so:p

Don't tell that to Eastern Washington, they desperately need Cal Poly to lose. xnodx

UNHWildCats
November 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Don't tell that to Eastern Washington, they desperately need Cal Poly to lose. xnodx

Why?

RE/MAXGriz
November 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Why?

b/c there's no way that the playoff committee takes two 3-loss teams as at-large bids out west. If they even consider a "western" team it'll be CP or EWU, assuming they both win out. If CP drops a game then EWU could be the only 3 loss team from the two larger conferences out west.

Mustang Man
November 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
NDSU at Cal Poly. This game has been sold out for weeks now.

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM
No question, it is the MEAC Championship Game (atleast, that is what is has become). This game is so important to both squads. For Delaware St, it probably means a chance for them to finally get to face Delaware...

slostang
November 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM

If Cal Poly wins this game and wins next week and finishes at 8-3 with a win over the #1/#2 team in the country they will receive serious playoff consideration, or at least they should.

What makes this game so interesting is that it features two of the top offenses in the FCS. Cal Poly is #1 in yards per game at 504.1 and NDSU is #5 at 482.6. NDSU is #2 in scoring offense at 42.2 points a game and Cal Poly is #8 at 38.8 points a game. This game also features two Payton finalist in WR Ramses Barden and RB Tyler Roehl and a Buchanan finalist in LB Joe Mays.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I dont know, UMass isnt guaranteed at 8-3. There schedule was weak and losing to UNH wouldnt be good for them...

Agreed; they're not a guarantee at 8-3 by any stretch. But at least they'll be on the bubble.

But I have a gut feeling that if we lose to UNH, we're going to lose to Hofstra too. For whatever reason I don't have a lot of faith in UMass coming through in a must-win season finale on the road--it probably has to do with UMass losing a must-win season finale at Hofstra two years ago. This season is starting to eerily resemble that one: ranked highly all season, everyone calling us a lock for the playoffs, and then losing two games down the stretch including the season-ender with everything on the line . . .

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 07:17 PM
If Cal Poly wins this game and wins next week and finishes at 8-3 with a win over the #1/#2 team in the country they will receive serious playoff consideration, or at least they should.

What makes this game so interesting is that it features two of the top offenses in the FCS. Cal Poly is #1 in yards per game at 504.1 and NDSU is #5 at 482.6. NDSU is #2 in scoring offense at 42.2 points a game and Cal Poly is #8 at 38.8 points a game. This game also features two Payton finalist in WR Ramses Barden and RB Tyler Roehl and a Buchanan finalist in LB Joe Mays.

I agree that if Cal Poly wins this one, they're instantly vaulted into the at-large discussion (assuming they beat Iona in the last game). I think they've been under the radar because (besides being out west) they don't have any quality wins (the closest thing to one being Weber State, probably) and one of their wins is over a D-II, putting their max D-I win total at seven (though, to be fair, an awful lot of at-large contenders around the country have D-II's on their schedules, and it's starting to look to me like at least one 8-3 team with seven D-I wins is going to make the playoffs). So the resume isn't very impressive so far, but a win over NDSU would change that in a hurry, and I think Cal Poly would then have to be very seriously considered (I'd take them over Eastern Washington, at the very least).

The only reason I didn't put this game in the poll is because NDSU isn't playoff eligible, so there are only playoff implications for one of the teams involved. There are many such games this weekend--too many to fit in the poll (only ten choices are allowed). So I just kept it to the four games that have playoff implications for both teams. But I definitely appreciate the magnitude of this one, and I'm sure the selection committee is keeping a close eye on it.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM
NDSU vs Cal Poly xthumbsupx

semobison
November 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM
OK UMASS922, we will let you slide on this one!

RabidRabbit
November 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
North Dakota State @ Cal Poly

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Cal Poly needs to win to have shot at play-offs. It's at Poly, and is sold out.

NDSU is trying to demonstrate that they are as much a steamroller as they have been under the dome(s), and to the Gateway teams.

SHOULD BE A GREAT GAME!!!xbowx xbowx

BigApp
November 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Marist @ Iona is the GOTW!

appfan2008
November 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I chose Umass/UNH bc of how important that game is for everything from seeding to at large to possible conference title... should be a great game

but as a homer... the battle for the Old Mountain Jug should be a dandy with some nice cool weather and hopefully a big win for the Mountaineers

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Marist @ Iona is the GOTW!

On that note, for what it's worth, Indiana State, Southern Utah, La Salle, North Carolina A&T, Stephen F. Austin, and Texas Southern all still have a chance to pull off winless seasons. So we'll want to keep on eye on their games as well. (Savannah State, in case anyone's wondering, has a win over Johnson C. Smith.)

ngineer
November 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM

I voted for the NSU/DSU game as well. The UR/UD game doesn't have as much riding on it since I doubt the Committee will take two teams from the MEAC.

blackfordpu
November 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
UNH@UMass

However, if they were playoff eligible I would have to say NDSU@Cal Poly.

813Jag
November 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM
On that note, for what it's worth, Indiana State, Southern Utah, La Salle, North Carolina A&T, Stephen F. Austin, and Texas Southern all still have a chance to pull off winless seasons. So we'll want to keep on eye on their games as well. (Savannah State, in case anyone's wondering, has a win over Johnson C. Smith.)
Texas Southern is off this week.

McNeese_beat
November 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Cal Poly wins, they should be in. They would get to 7 D-I wins after beating Iona at home, finishing 8-3. No Colonial or Southern Conference team at 8 wins (unless App State slips to 8 wins) would have a win of that quality.

I doubt if Poly wins, but I think they should be rewarded if they do.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Cal Poly wins, they should be in. They would get to 7 D-I wins after beating Iona at home, finishing 8-3. No Colonial or Southern Conference team at 8 wins (unless App State slips to 8 wins) would have a win of that quality.

I doubt if Poly wins, but I think they should be rewarded if they do.

The question is, how do you weigh a team with one superb win but little else on the resume against a team with several very good wins? An 8-3 New Hampshire would have wins over Marshall, Delaware, Hofstra, and UMass--and also would have one more D-I one than Cal Poly (8 to 7). I just don't think I could instantly put Cal Poly ahead of every other 8-3 team on the basis of that one win without comparing the overall resumes . . . but on the other hand, I don't think it would be a grievous injustice were it to happen. We would at least know unequivocally that Cal Poly is capable of beating an elite team in the division, and so there'd be reason to believe that they could hold their own in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

McNeese_beat
November 6th, 2007, 12:28 AM
The question is, how do you weigh a team with one superb win but little else on the resume against a team with several very good wins? An 8-3 New Hampshire would have wins over Marshall, Delaware, Hofstra, and UMass--and also would have one more D-I one than Cal Poly (8 to 7). I just don't think I could instantly put Cal Poly ahead of every other 8-3 team on the basis of that one win without comparing the overall resumes . . . but on the other hand, I don't think it would be a grievous injustice were it to happen. We would at least know unequivocally that Cal Poly is capable of beating an elite team in the division, and so there'd be reason to believe that they could hold their own in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

In your scenario, you create a 3-loss UMass team that wouldn't have a win as significant as a Poly win over NDSU, nor any wins over top 20 teams. And, for UMass to stay in contention, it would have to beat Hofstra, which would become a 3-loss team with a resume that, IMO, would not add up to Cal Poly's. So in your scenario, Cal Poly jets ahead of at least 1, maybe 2 or the colonial contenders.

I would also take Cal Poly's resume in that example over an 8-3 JMU, an 8-3 Wofford, maybe an 8-3 Elon and any 8-3 out of the Patriot, OVC, MEAC or Big Sky.

So I stand by my original observation. If Poly wins out, I think it's in.

DOME
November 6th, 2007, 12:59 AM
You all know that UNI v ISU should be the GOTW, c'mon two perfect seasons on the line. UNI is fighting to be seeded. ISU is fighting to not fight. Should be a real barn burner, a'hem "Dome Burner"

WyomingGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I can kind of see where 'McNeese_beat' is coming from, if Cal Poly beats North Dakota State. But their loss to Texas State doesn't help, and South Dakota State beat Texas St.; a Cal Poly win this weekend coupled with a NDSU win over SDSU would make Cal Poly more attractive @ 8 - 3 for an invite. It's possible.

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I picked Delaware-Richmond: two Top 10 teams going at it with some playoff risk involved.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
This has probably been posted already but...

Where is Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona?

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM
This has probably been posted already but...

Where is Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona?

East Coast Biased :D

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
There are obviously a lot of games this week that have playoff implications for one of the teams involved, but there are too many of those to include in a single poll. So I've decided to limit it to the four games which seem to clearly have playoff implications for both teams involved. (If I've missed an obvious one, point it out and I'll fix it.)

As always, if you don't like the choices, make your own poll.
xnonox Stealing my schtick? xnonox

McNeese_beat
November 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I can kind of see where 'McNeese_beat' is coming from, if Cal Poly beats North Dakota State. But their loss to Texas State doesn't help, and South Dakota State beat Texas St.; a Cal Poly win this weekend coupled with a NDSU win over SDSU would make Cal Poly more attractive @ 8 - 3 for an invite. It's possible.

Oh yeah, that's one huge If there. I don't think Poly has what it takes to beat NDSU based on the Texas State game (Texas State was just awful when I saw them against McNeese) and the SDSU game (I think SDSU is more likely to upset NDSU).

But if they do pull it off, they'll come out of nowhere to be a playoff team, in my opinion.

Remember, playing those 4 Great West games (well, 3 out of the 4) does nothing to hurt their strength of schedule...

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2007, 10:22 AM
My game(s) of the week are

GSU vs. Furman
Citadel vs. Elon

igo4uni
November 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
unh vs. umass.

OhioHen
November 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Norfolk State and Delaware State hands down. Winner locks up AQ, loser (whichever team it is) has to be concerned about getting an invitation. None of the other games have that situation.

UMass922
November 6th, 2007, 01:00 PM
xnonox Stealing my schtick? xnonox

Yup.

UMass922
November 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
In your scenario, you create a 3-loss UMass team that wouldn't have a win as significant as a Poly win over NDSU, nor any wins over top 20 teams. And, for UMass to stay in contention, it would have to beat Hofstra, which would become a 3-loss team with a resume that, IMO, would not add up to Cal Poly's. So in your scenario, Cal Poly jets ahead of at least 1, maybe 2 or the colonial contenders.

I would also take Cal Poly's resume in that example over an 8-3 JMU, an 8-3 Wofford, maybe an 8-3 Elon and any 8-3 out of the Patriot, OVC, MEAC or Big Sky.

So I stand by my original observation. If Poly wins out, I think it's in.

I won't make any argument for an 8-3 UMass . . . that team would be squarely on the bubble, and I'd see it as no injustice should Cal Poly or any other number of 8-3 teams get in ahead of it.

Really, it's just an 8-3 UNH that I would maintain should be in line ahead of Cal Poly; I have no beef with your other examples.

URMite
November 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Hens - Any chance your game this week will be available for viewing anywhere except in person (TV, Web...)?xconfusedx

Why is this the only game this season between (UR/JMU/UD/UNH/UMass) that the CAA decided not to show?xnonono2x xbawlingx

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Hens - Any chance your game this week will be available for viewing anywhere except in person
Why would you want to do that? Get your arse up to Newark! xthumbsupx

URMite
November 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Why would you want to do that? Get your arse up to Newark! xthumbsupx

The problem is other parts of my anatomy have to be in Richmond at 3pm. xnodx

That's why I wish the CAA would show all of UR's away games in case I'm stuck here in town.

Drblankstare
November 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
The UNH vs UMASS game. POLY v NDSU is a big game, but only for Poly. In the grand scheme of things for this year. It doesnt really matter what my bison do.xbawlingx So that being said, i would say that the game of the week must be one that matters greatly to both teams, considering the playoffs.

skinny_uncle
November 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Richmond-Delaware.
Delaware probably has a seed riding on it.

Kill'em
November 6th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Normally, I would have to take the homer pick because, afterall, it is Georgia Southern-Furman but this game isn't for the SoCon so any of the four choices are good. I couldn't pick one.