PDA

View Full Version : Rankings: Albany vs. Dayton; Where do they stack up in your rankings vs. one another

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Albany 6-3 (4-0):

Wins:

SBU (rivalry game) by 1; and

at PL Champ Fordham by 3; and

Rolling through the NEC. MARGIN OF VICTORY IN NEC GAMES: 27.4 per game!

Losses:

at Montana by 21 (Albany intercepted at Montana's 5 yard line with 7 minutes to play and score 28-14); and

Hofstra by 15 (kickoff return TD to start the game off-- Albany outscores Hofstra 10-0 in the second half); and

at Colgate (season opener 'Gate returns the ball 96 yards on their first series to set up 4 yard touchdown run. Albany missed chippy FG and then intercepted while driving on last series).

OOC opponents are:

Fordham 8-2 (5-0)- PL Champs; No Sub-FCS games

Montana 9-0 (6-0)- National Top 3; Tracking to be Big Sky Champs; 1 Sub FCS game

Colgate 6-3 (3-1)- Tied for 2nd in PL; OOC- UMASS, Towson; Cornell; Albany; Dartmouth

Hofstra 7-2 (4-2)- Ranked #20 Nationally; 2nd in CAA North ; OOC Furman and Stony Brook.

Stony Brook 5-4- Independent Schedule; OOC: Youngstown; Hofstra; Albany; Richmond; Maine; Monmouth; Bucknell; Georgetown; Sub-FCS team is ranked in DII Top 20.

NEC OOC OPPONENTS:

FBS- Western Michigan
FCS- CAA; Independent (SBU); MAAC; PFL; Big South;
NAIA- None
DII- three (one is in-state rival; two were because St. Peter's dropped)
DIII- one (St. Peter's dropped).

DAYTON 9-1 (5-1):

Wins:

at Robert Morris (by 11 points--season opener. 2nd half score was 7-6 in favor of Dayton)

Urbana (Sub-FCS team...by 38 points)

Central State (Sub-FCS team...by 40)

at Fordham (by 7. Fordham outscored Dayton by 14 in the second half)

*San Diego- since I know the argument will come. Note San Diego's schedule and last game. Drake is a weak win...they have proven to be a fluke win over Illinois State (who isnt that good right now).

Rolling through the PFL- scoring average of 25.8.

Losses:

at Morehead State (by 7. Morehead outscored Dayton by 14 in the second half).

OOC Opponents are:

Robert Morris 2-3 (3-6)- No Sub-FCS games for OOC. Beat Morehead State at Morehead.

Urbana 5-5 (2-4)- NAIA team. Dayton was only FCS OOC.

Central State- 5-4 (4-1)- Dayton was only FCS OOC.

Fordham 8-2 (5-0)- PL Champs; No Sub-FCS games.

PFL OOC OPPONENTS:

SUB FCS: 18
FCS: MAAC; NEC; MEAC; Big Sky; Great West; Big South;
FBS: W. Kentucky- Transitional.

First, it is impt. to note that the OOC schedules of both leagues do not compare. The NEC plays MULTIPLE high level FCS games, while the PFL plays a handful. Second, 3 of 4 the NEC's SUB-FCS schedule were due to St. Peter's dropping football. Arguably, St. Peter's was DIII anyway. Only Southern, an in-state school rival...was supposed to be the SUB-FCS game for Central.

Second, I do not feel Albany deserves to be in the Top 25. The loss to Colgate stings...and the lapses against Hofstra hurt. However, they have gone on the road and played tough. They have beat the Top PL team...and played the 2nd best team tough on the road (2 pt. loss). They are demolishing the NEC. They scheduled tough. Albany beats Colgate...and they are in the TOP 25 at 7-2. They did not, so they sit just inside the Top 30 in my book.

As for Dayton, they have played a weak schedule as noted. They beat a team Albany thrashed (RMU) by 11 and the game was much closer than the score). They beat San Diego very handidly. However, San Diego is struggling (check the Davidson game). They beat Fordham by a score 44 points better than the Danes.

The NEC OOC schedule is much more demanding of Albany's conference opponents than the PFL's OCC schedule is for Dayton's opponents. Arguably, Albanys' thrashing of the NEC is more impressive than Dayton's thrashing of the PFL.

Yes, rating systems have the PFL higher...but I ask...HOW...HOW BASED ON THE ABOVE?!

Bottom line: I dont think UA should be ranked in the Top 25 yet...and most certainly the numbers don't add up to Dayton being in there either. If you are ranking Dayton, you should be ranking Albany.
Floor is open!

aust42
November 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I think the Saragin ratings have it about right. Right now Dayton is ranked 26th and Albany is ranked 38th amoung 1AA teams.

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Ok...why? I am not seeing it...and I am really trying to figure it out. I am not talking other ranking systems...but the schedule and facts as laid out above.

Ruler 79
November 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Gimme a break! I never get in these crazy conversations but Dayton plays a Bull***** schedule and everyone knows it. They played and beat Fordham this year end of story! OK SD is a decent team. Thats it!

See ya in the GIC!

aust42
November 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Ok...why? I am not seeing it...and I am really trying to figure it out. I am not talking other ranking systems...but the schedule and facts as laid out above.

You both have two common opponents. Both wins. Dayton beat Fordham by more points than Albany did, while Albany beat Robert Morris by more points than Dayton did. Other than that how can you really judge? Albany's OOC schedule is obviously tougher but their all loses. I haven't seen either team play so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Are you kidding Aust?

Albany beat Robert Morris by 25 points going away...and put the brakes on in the third qtr.
Dayton beat Robert Morris by 11 and was outscored in the 2nd half.

Albany beat Fordham by 3...outscoring Fordham in the 2nd half.
Dayton beat Fordham and were outscored by Fordham by 14 pts. in the second half.

Albany played CAA, BIG SKY, Independent, and Patriot League opponents.
Dayton played TWO sub-FCS opponents, an NEC opponent, and a PL opponent.

Albany's league plays top FCS programs regularly.
Dayton's league plays 18 Sub-FCS programs.

Albany only lost to Montana, Colgate, and Hofstra. They beat, in OOC, Fordham and Stony Brook-- Not all losses my friend.

Ummmm....again...your opinion is your opinion...but the above are facts!

aust42
November 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Are you kidding Aust?

Albany beat Robert Morris by 25 points going away...and put the brakes on in the third qtr.
Dayton beat Robert Morris by 11 and was outscored in the 2nd half.

Albany beat Fordham by 3...outscoring Fordham in the 2nd half.
Dayton beat Fordham and were outscored by Fordham by 14 pts. in the second half.

Albany played CAA, BIG SKY, Independent, and Patriot League opponents.
Dayton played TWO sub-FCS opponents, an NEC opponent, and a PL opponent.

Albany's league plays top FCS programs regularly.
Dayton's league plays 18 Sub-FCS programs.

Albany only lost to Montana, Colgate, and Hofstra. They beat, in OOC, Fordham and Stony Brook-- Not all losses my friend.

Ummmm....again...your opinion is your opinion...but the above are facts!

Are you really that upset that Dayton is ranked higher than you in the Mid-Major Poll?

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yep...I am REALLY upset that they are ranked higher in EVERY POLL.

People need to look at stats, OOC, SOS, and watch some game film. Everyone North of the MASON DIXON line with FSCA had an opportunity to watch Albany thrash RMU this weekend.

bluehenbillk
November 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Mount Union would beat both of them.

Seahawks Fan
November 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Based upon all the polls Dayton is slightly ahead of Albany. What's the difference? In all likelihood you will meet them in the Gridiron Classic. That's where it all counts. Get it done.

lizrdgizrd
November 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yep...I am REALLY upset that they are ranked higher in EVERY POLL.

People need to look at stats, OOC, SOS, and watch some game film. Everyone North of the MASON DIXON line with FSCA had an opportunity to watch Albany thrash RMU this weekend.
Settle it in your bowl game. xpeacex

DetroitFlyer
November 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Mount Union might beat Delaware or any other team in FCS. Don't believe it, come up here to Michigan and have a little chat with that school in Ann Arbor.

danefan
November 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Interesting coming from a Delaware fan.xcoffeex

Selective memory?

Seahawks Fan
November 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Interesting coming from a Delaware fan.xcoffeex

Selective memory?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx

aceinthehole
November 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Dane fans don't waste your breath.

I think you have it right. UA isn't a top-25 team, but they are NO DOUBT somewhere in the next 10. Albany is also a stronger team ON-PAPER than Dayton or any PFL team right now.

I don't like the mid-major poll at all and it has no validity. To even mention it is stupid. I gave up after week 3 and I refuse to acknowledge its existence. I only wish CCSU and the entire NEC would do the same!

Take care of business vs. Monmouth. If CCSU can knock off SBU, it would really set up a great NEC finale. Central has just one bad loss (Monmouth) - the other losses are to a I-A team and a Towson team with 2x as many schollys.

After that, the NEC rep will get to face off on the field with the best the PFL can offer.

lizrdgizrd
November 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Mount Union might beat Delaware or any other team in FCS. Don't believe it, come up here to Michigan and have a little chat with that school in Ann Arbor.
We'd love to have that chat. xsmiley_wix

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Not sure the Monmouth loss is bad-- They are H-O-T right now! Granted, CCSU's D forgot to show up...but it isn't a horrible loss.

aceinthehole
November 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks. Its not so much who we lost to, but how. Turnovers and poor defense was a BAD loss.

I mean do you think CCSU should be ranked 6 in the MM poll? That poll is a complete joke! Iona??? They'd be the 4th best team in the NEC, if they were lucky!

Stony Brook (who shouldn't be included, but are) should be ranked near the top!

Its madnees, and the fact we discuss it is depressing. I understand your frustration and fully agree. Let our schedule and results speak for our team - many fans know where our teams really rank among FCS.

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Problem is...it is the coaches...it is the media...etc. I swear, if we were not considered "Mid-Major" because our SID's allow that to occur, I think we would be higher in ALL rankings!

aust42
November 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Problem is...it is the coaches...it is the media...etc. I swear, if we were not considered "Mid-Major" because our SID's allow that to occur, I think we would be higher in ALL rankings!

Sounds like you guys are having an Identity Crisis. Your in a weak conference, what do you expect? To be fair the NEC certainly has made great strides in the past few years. Albany beating Delaware, Cent Co St beating G-Southern for example. Do that consistently and you'll get more respect.

89Hen
November 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
FWIW, this week I had:

17. Albany
19. Dayton
21. San Diego
23. Central Connecticut State
24. Morehead State
25. Montana

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 04:01 PM
LOL!!!

danefan
November 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Sounds like you guys are having an Identity Crisis. Your in a weak conference, what do you expect? To be fair the NEC certainly has made great strides in the past few years. Albany beating Delaware, Cent Co St beating G-Southern for example. Do that consistently and you'll get more respect.

Dayton hasn't done it at all and they seem to be getting more respect in the polls then us. That's the point that we are trying to make. xthumbsupx

aust42
November 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Dayton hasn't done it at all and they seem to be getting more respect in the polls then us. That's the point that we are trying to make. xthumbsupx

Point taken. To some pollters I'm sure a 9-1 record certainly looks better than a 6-3 record at "face value". Just prove it on the field when you play that "bowl" game. Where is the Mid Major Bowl played each year?

USDFAN_55
November 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Point taken. To some pollters I'm sure a 9-1 record certainly looks better than a 6-3 record at "face value". Just prove it on the field when you play that "bowl" game. Where is the Mid Major Bowl played each year?

It rotates between the NEC and PFL champ home stadiums. This year it will be played at the PFL champs home; to be determined this weekend.

JoltinJoe
November 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Obviously DetroitFlyer has been out-politicking you. You got to work as hard getting the word out, danefan.;)

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
That would require us being annoying gnats. At least we have the facts to back up the argument. :)

flyenhigh
November 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I think the Saragin ratings have it about right. Right now Dayton is ranked 26th and Albany is ranked 38th amoung 1AA teams.

I agree.

flyenhigh
November 5th, 2007, 08:21 PM

This come back always cracks me up. If Mount Union could beat both Dayton and Albany then why would they not have a decent shot at beating Delaware???xrotatehx xrotatehx

flyenhigh
November 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM
That would require us being annoying gnats. At least we have the facts to back up the argument. :)

Fact is you lost 3 games, fact is 3 losses does not look good no matter who you played, fact is you will lose to the PFL champ so this topic really does not matter.

BlueHen86
November 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
This come back always cracks me up. If Mount Union could beat both Dayton and Albany then why would they not have a decent shot at beating Delaware???xrotatehx xrotatehx
Albany beat Delaware LAST YEAR.

As did Northeastern, Towson and James Madison.
How did those three teams do against Delaware this year?:p

Boogs
November 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
There's a fundamental issue here:

What is a ranking?

Can a school with a 1-10 record finish overall in the rankings at #11 if they played the 1st thru 12th ranked teams in the country?

The SOS issues are nothing more than a selective variable (a good choice by the way) in having a point scoring system for listing and subsequently picking teams from top to bottom for a playoff. However, a point scoring system isn't a ranking.

SOS means exactly what?

The goal should be teams you beat appear below you in the rankings list. The teams you lose to should be ranked above you. If there's a short circular conquering path then of course you won't have the exact teams above you or below you as stated above.

Not sure how SOS factors in. Not sure why you begin your premise with a vague variable of SOS. I might also add a team's SOS can vary in it's computation like Don Hansen's and TSN's definition of a mid-major. Which SOS calculation are you referring to?

Are you aware the BT computation also has its own definition of SOS?

The sad thing is we should not even be having a discussion here about Albany and Dayton in the first place because neither belong in FCS. xoopsx

All sports have emotion. Some more than others. Emotion has nothing to do with a ranking (I know this issue will resurface with Dane96). Maybe in a rating, but not in a ranking.

Ranking <> Rating

seahawkfan2007
November 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Dane fans have a good argument. Albany's OOC schedule included three likely playoff teams (Montana, Fordham and Hofstra). What would the Flyers record be vs. Albany's schedule? I would say the same or maybe with one more loss. Dayton's win vs. San Diego is more impressive than any win Albany has had (both beat Fordham). That said, Albany probally should not be ranked higher than Dayton but Albany will beat them in the bowl game.

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I think it's a close call between the two. The Dayton record is a bit inflated by the two sub-FCS games--whereas Albany has played Hofstra and Montana. What would the records look like if Dayton and Albany swap those two OOC games with each other? Given that the record against common opponents is even, I see no reason to believe that Albany wouldn't have Dayton's record playing Dayton's schedule, and vice-versa.

I will definitely be rooting for the Great Danes should they make the Gridiron Classic. And I hope to see them in the playoffs someday.

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the backup Seahawk, but I dont see how an OVER INFLATED SAN DIEGO team is a good win.

They look like **** right now- They allowed Davidson to hang 40+ on them. Who on g-ds earth have they played?

BlueHen86
November 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM
There's a fundamental issue here:

What is a ranking?

I have no clue. I am going to end this post now before I make myself look foolish.

Fixed it for ya!xthumbsupx

xlolx xsmiley_wix xpeacex

Boogs
November 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Fixed it for ya!xthumbsupx

xlolx xsmiley_wix xpeacex

DOH!

Seawolf97
November 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I can understand Albany's frustration and being a former NEC member understand the respect issue with the NEC conference. Albany is a solid program not afraid to schedule ranked opponets and win a few along the way. This discussion will be settled in Dayton between the Danes and the Flyers Im sure.

danefan
November 5th, 2007, 10:58 PM
So Boogs. Here's a valid question for you. If you really don't believe Albany belongs in the FCS, is there anyway in your alternate universe that teams can transition into FCS? Or is your rule that only the teams that are now in the leauges other than the MAAC, PFL and NEC the only teams that can EVER be in FCS?

Just wondering, because it appears that under your "system" there is aboslutely no transitioning.

JMG1MON
November 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Albany should be ranked higher, until the next polls come out. WE ARE TAKING YOU OUT SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xnodx

Hey, I am drinking the Kool-Aid and I can dream right????? Good luck on Saturday!!! xthumbsupx

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Sure is an answer- Full financial funding of 63 rides. That will be Boogs answer.

Oh, and a weight/strength regimen approved by BOOGS so as to not have players both FAT and SKINNY on an FCS team.

No twinkies..and no Kate Olsen's.

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Albany should be ranked higher, until the next polls come out. WE ARE TAKING YOU OUT SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xnodx

Hey, I am drinking the Kool-Aid and I can dream right????? Good luck on Saturday!!! xthumbsupx

This game worries me. You guys are H-O-T...and we don't play well, traditionally, in Long Branch.

Tod
November 6th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I've been saying since the Montana/Albany game that I think Albany is a quality team. I'll take Albany to win out and be upset at not making the playoffs. ;)

WyomingGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Would make things interesting if Drake wins this weekend.

Tod
November 6th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Would make things interesting if Drake wins this weekend.

Maybe, but personally, I'm seeing a lot more promise (right now at least) in the NEC than in the PFL.

But I do agree with your assessment. xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
November 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I don't know whether Albany is a better team than Dayton, because I don't know much of anything about Dayton's individual players. However, it's hard to argue that Albany has better ranking/playoff credentials than the Flyers. Sure, the Danes played a tougher schedule, but they also have two more losses. Two lower division wins aren't impressive, but they're still better than two non-conference FCS losses, even if they're to playoff-caliber teams. (count the Colgate & Morehead losses as roughly equivalent, then compare Dayton's lower-division wins to the Montana & Hofstra losses for Albany; Albany wasn't ever in a position to win either game).

To add to this argument, the GPI uses mostly computer rankings to assess a team's strength. However, computer rankings generally overvalue strength-of-schedule in their computations. As of last week (the new #'s aren't out yet), Albany was ranked 46th. in the GPI while Dayton was 39th. This shows that Dayton is still ranked higher even with schedule strength being overvalued.

Also, to Dane96, you used FBS Western Michigan—CCSU's opponent—as an example of the NEC's tough non-conference schedule. However, Albany hasn't played CCSU yet, so that should be essentially disregarded in evaluating Albany's strengths.

seahawkfan2007
November 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Dane96, let's be fair about Dayton's win over SD. It's a great win! Going into that game vs. Dayton, SD was 29-2 over the past three years with JJ at the helm. SD's only losses were to UC Davis by 10 and Princeton by a field goal. SD outscored their opponents 1,369 to 500 during that span which included a 27-7 dismanteling of our own conference champ last season.

DetroitFlyer
November 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
When Dayton defeated USD, USD was ranked at #24 in the FCS Coaches poll if I remember correctly. Oddly enough, the PL champion, Fordham, was not ranked in any poll until this week....

So, poll wise, the Flyers have a win over the #24 team and depending on the poll, the #22 or so team in FCS.

Dayton - Two wins over top 25 FCS teams.

Albany - One win over a top 25 FCS team.

As for Robert Morris, they are simply not the same team they were at the beginning of the season. I'm not certain what has happened there, but they played better early on then they have the last few weeks.... I'm sure the RM fans could offer some insight, but I would argue that the RM team that Dayton defeated in game #1 is not the same team that Albany pounded in game # 10.... I will also mention this.... Dayton changed this year to the spread offense. The RM game was the first game experience with the new offense.... Suffice it to say that Dayton has gotton better each week in running the spread offense....

Ruler 79
November 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Dane posters:

DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS BS. We have 2 to go and if we make the GIC we will make a statement one way or the other. Is Dayton a good program? Yes. Do they play a powder puff sked? Yes except for Fordham ,and SD I will give props to as well. But to play 2-3 D3 schools a season is embarrassing. Dayton's a private school and has the cake to fly their team to any game that will schedule them (Montana, Hofstra, Delaware....YOUNGSTOWN...hey a little ol school on Long Island recently went to Ohio to play them and Dayton if I am not mistaken IS MUCH CLOSER!!!!...Kelly is a coward!)

As an Albany fan and former player I could care less about where we are ranked. That 2 pt loss to Colgate will haunt us this year if we are able to run the table. 9-2 would be a whole lot better then 8-3.

I will care once we are at fully funded levels (45 or 63) and have a real shot at an AQ or an at large.

Dane96
November 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Dane96, let's be fair about Dayton's win over SD. It's a great win! Going into that game vs. Dayton, SD was 29-2 over the past three years with JJ at the helm. SD's only losses were to UC Davis by 10 and Princeton by a field goal. SD outscored their opponents 1,369 to 500 during that span which included a 27-7 dismanteling of our own conference champ last season.

Absolutely...absolutely. However, with the last two games, we see a different USD team. Dayton absolutely throttled them...and Davidson hung 40+.

Hey...I am not saying Dayton is worse than Albany...what I am saying is the schedule and results give a slight edge to the Danes...or at the very least make us even. To see the disparity and hear some fans claim that there team is a playoff and ranked team...is a joke.

Dayton, nor Albany, are not TOP 25 teams....PERIOD!

Dane96
November 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I don't know whether Albany is a better team than Dayton, because I don't know much of anything about Dayton's individual players. However, it's hard to argue that Albany has better ranking/playoff credentials than the Flyers. Sure, the Danes played a tougher schedule, but they also have two more losses. Two lower division wins aren't impressive, but they're still better than two non-conference FCS losses, even if they're to playoff-caliber teams. (count the Colgate & Morehead losses as roughly equivalent, then compare Dayton's lower-division wins to the Montana & Hofstra losses for Albany; Albany wasn't ever in a position to win either game).

To add to this argument, the GPI uses mostly computer rankings to assess a team's strength. However, computer rankings generally overvalue strength-of-schedule in their computations. As of last week (the new #'s aren't out yet), Albany was ranked 46th. in the GPI while Dayton was 39th. This shows that Dayton is still ranked higher even with schedule strength being overvalued.

Also, to Dane96, you used FBS Western Michigan—CCSU's opponent—as an example of the NEC's tough non-conference schedule. However, Albany hasn't played CCSU yet, so that should be essentially disregarded in evaluating Albany's strengths.

Nope...was using Western as how the ENTIRE SOS for the conference should be higher.

Conference SOS has an effect on the teams that CCSU played...and then ALBANY played.

DetroitFlyer
November 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Dane posters:

DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS BS. We have 2 to go and if we make the GIC we will make a statement one way or the other. Is Dayton a good program? Yes. Do they play a powder puff sked? Yes except for Fordham ,and SD I will give props to as well. But to play 2-3 D3 schools a season is embarrassing. Dayton's a private school and has the cake to fly their team to any game that will schedule them (Montana, Hofstra, Delaware....YOUNGSTOWN...hey a little ol school on Long Island recently went to Ohio to play them and Dayton if I am not mistaken IS MUCH CLOSER!!!!...Kelly is a coward!)

As an Albany fan and former player I could care less about where we are ranked. That 2 pt loss to Colgate will haunt us this year if we are able to run the table. 9-2 would be a whole lot better then 8-3.

I will care once we are at fully funded levels (45 or 63) and have a real shot at an AQ or an at large.

Yep, calling a future College Hall of Fame coach names REALLY clearly demonstrates the level of class that former Albany players have....xnonox

Ruler 79
November 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM
LOL. Then explain why This Hall of Famer won't put his team on a BUS and travel a SHORT DISTANCE to Youngstown????? He would rather play Urbana and Wittenberg and who ever else. If you must play DIII why not Mt. Union????

Kelly is a good coach(that has never been called into question) but he is afraid to play better opposition. That makes him a coward with his program. OK he is not a coward he just lacks the intestinal fortitude to schedule teams in his back yard that are clearly capable of giving him an a$$ kicking. Hell I would have 200+ wins if I played dayton's schedule.

Don't bother telling the board that UD is playoff worthy, like your schedule that is laughable.

mvemjsunpx
November 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Nope...was using Western as how the ENTIRE SOS for the conference should be higher.

Conference SOS has an effect on the teams that CCSU played...and then ALBANY played.

Yes, but opponents' opponents' strength of schedule is pretty worthless. That's like using Appalachian State's schedule strength to help evaluate Montana's credentials (NAU played App. St.). By the time you get to that point, about half of the FCS teams show up somewhere in there.

WyomingGrizFan
November 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't mind playing Dayton some time. Be better than a Div. II Class team, nothing personal there, but..; at least they're FCS (I-AA) right?

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
LOL. Then explain why This Hall of Famer won't put his team on a BUS and travel a SHORT DISTANCE to Youngstown????? He would rather play Urbana and Wittenberg and who ever else. If you must play DIII why not Mt. Union????

Kelly is a good coach(that has never been called into question) but he is afraid to play better opposition. That makes him a coward with his program. OK he is not a coward he just lacks the intestinal fortitude to schedule teams in his back yard that are clearly capable of giving him an a$$ kicking. Hell I would have 200+ wins if I played dayton's schedule.

Don't bother telling the board that UD is playoff worthy, like your schedule that is laughable.

Dayton is Dayton get over it. They bring in some serious talent, play a great game of football and have class. Dayton has tried to play Mt. Union but was turned down as well as Youngstown St. (wanted home/home). Dont speak unless you know the facts.

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Absolutely...absolutely. However, with the last two games, we see a different USD team. Dayton absolutely throttled them...and Davidson hung 40+.

Hey...I am not saying Dayton is worse than Albany...what I am saying is the schedule and results give a slight edge to the Danes...or at the very least make us even. To see the disparity and hear some fans claim that there team is a playoff and ranked team...is a joke.

Dayton, nor Albany, are not TOP 25 teams....PERIOD!

How is DAYTON not a top 25 team! They should be exactly where they are on the polls. Once again, ALBANY if you make the gridiron classic game then you will find out how good the PFL really is, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Albany beat Delaware LAST YEAR.

As did Northeastern, Towson and James Madison.
How did those three teams do against Delaware this year?:p

Okay, so what is your point? Albany lost 4 games last year as well??!! So they were not even that good. So that means last year if Delaware played Mt. Union and Dayton played Mt. Union the result would be very simular. xoopsx

Dane96
November 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
How is DAYTON not a top 25 team! They should be exactly where they are on the polls. Once again, ALBANY if you make the gridiron classic game then you will find out how good the PFL really is, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

We would have played you recently, but your boy Kelly refuses to play Albany in Albany...though we already said we would come.

Who do you guys think you are?

I can't believe you DEMANDED a home and home with YSU...and wont play them because they said NO.

You dont see UA saying the same to Montana, UMASS, or Delaware.

Get a grip!

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM
We would have played you recently, but your boy Kelly refuses to play Albany in Albany...though we already said we would come.

Who do you guys think you are?

I can't believe you DEMANDED a home and home with YSU...and wont play them because they said NO.

You dont see UA saying the same to Montana, UMASS, or Delaware.

Get a grip!

Actually, YSU wanted a home/home and Dayton wanted an even deal.

Albany has a very good schedule and I applaud you for that. The big negative is that you lost those three big games you keep mentioning. YOU DO NOT GET CREDIT FOR LOSING GAMES NO MATTER WHO YOU SCHEDULE. And, what do you mean "Who do you guys think you are"? We play football win games and move on. What do you do?

BlueHen86
November 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Okay, so what is your point? Albany lost 4 games last year as well??!! So they were not even that good. So that means last year if Delaware played Mt. Union and Dayton played Mt. Union the result would be very simular. xoopsx
It means you Dayton guys have an inferiority complex.

Which is good, because you are inferior. ;)

You are like the buzzing of flies to us. :p

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah and Dane...I hope you get the chance to play Dayton. It should be a great game although I would venture to say that since Dayton is higher in the polls they would win.

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM
It means you Dayton guys have an inferiority complex.

Which is good, because you are inferior. ;)

You are like the buzzing of flies to us. :p

You nervous??

BlueHen86
November 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
You nervous??

That's your best post yet. Only two words. Apparently the less you write the better.xlolx

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx So again your point??

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
kinda sucks losing to Mt. Union, huh??

BlueHen86
November 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
kinda sucks losing to Mt. Union, huh??
It's almost as bad a losing to Morehead St.

flyenhigh
November 6th, 2007, 09:54 PM
It's almost as bad a losing to Morehead St.

xlolx xlolx xlolx Almost as bad as losing to Albany last year!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Dane96
November 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Actually, YSU wanted a home/home and Dayton wanted an even deal.

Albany has a very good schedule and I applaud you for that. The big negative is that you lost those three big games you keep mentioning. YOU DO NOT GET CREDIT FOR LOSING GAMES NO MATTER WHO YOU SCHEDULE. And, what do you mean "Who do you guys think you are"? We play football win games and move on. What do you do?

Yeah, I know what Home/Home is. Again, get some balls and suck it up. Albany has played at Montana twice, at UMASS (will be twice), at Towson (twice), at UNH (soon), at Colgate, at Northeastern (twice), at Lehigh (twice), etc.

We don't ask to make it even...we just strap it up and challenge ourselves! Get a sack!

So what is the excuse for not playing Albany? As a DIII, we traveled down to you guys with the promise of a return game when we went DI.

Never happened!

BlueHen86
November 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Almost as bad as losing to Albany last year!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx
Not at all. Albany was the better team. It's not like that one loss cost us an undefeated season and any hope of the playoffs. xoopsx

flyenhigh
November 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Not at all. Albany was the better team. It's not like that one loss cost us an undefeated season and any hope of the playoffs. xoopsx

This is true.

flyenhigh
November 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I know what Home/Home is. Again, get some balls and suck it up. Albany has played at Montana twice, at UMASS (will be twice), at Towson (twice), at UNH (soon), at Colgate, at Northeastern (twice), at Lehigh (twice), etc.

We don't ask to make it even...we just strap it up and challenge ourselves! Get a sack!

So what is the excuse for not playing Albany? As a DIII, we traveled down to you guys with the promise of a return game when we went DI.

Never happened!

If I had the power I would schedule some of those but I dont.

BlueHen86
November 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
If I had the power I would schedule some of those but I dont.
I'd like to see Dayton play a Gateway or CAA team as well. IMO your conference would benefit if every team in it played atleast one game a year against an FCS autobid conference team. Preferably two; ala Drake.
I think there is a tendency to under rate you guys, I think you are better than most people think but you have no way to prove it on the field.

danefan
November 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'd like to see Dayton play a Gateway or CAA team as well. IMO your conference would benefit if every team in it played atleast one game a year against an FCS autobid conference team. Preferably two; ala Drake.
I think there is a tendency to under rate you guys, I think you are better than most people think but you have no way to prove it on the field.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

flyenhigh
November 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Once again I agree xrolleyesx

Boogs
November 8th, 2007, 05:03 AM
So Boogs. Here's a valid question for you. If you really don't believe Albany belongs in the FCS, is there anyway in your alternate universe that teams can transition into FCS? Or is your rule that only the teams that are now in the leauges other than the MAAC, PFL and NEC the only teams that can EVER be in FCS?

Just wondering, because it appears that under your "system" there is aboslutely no transitioning.

Either poop or get off the pot...like Austin Peay dd! xcoffeex

Boogs
November 8th, 2007, 05:06 AM

It was your meatless looks that made you mid-major! That's as objective as you can get. I saw Stony Brook vs. Richmond with my own eyes....

If you guys are cut from the same mold as Stony Brook you do NOT belong in FCS! xcoffeex

Richmond set aside that game with giveaway/reduced ticket prices because the game was a wasted matchup. Stony Brook wore white and still looked small!

The only good that came out of that game was the eye candy for us fans who could see one of SB's hot trainer coeds on the sidelines.

That was the first time I saw a M*A*S*H unit on the sideline icing down the meatless players shoulders, etc. between series! I saw it with my own eyes, Dane96! You do not have the best interests of safety and health of the participants in mind!

Thanks Dane96, for ruining the integrity of the NCAA football classifications...with whatever sway you may have even if it is just here on a message board.

downbythebeach
November 8th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I wish the football world worked that way.....
I'm about the average size of an NFL d-end....
I'd be gettin paid................................

BlueHen86
November 8th, 2007, 07:38 AM
It was your meatless looks that made you mid-major! That's as objective as you can get. I saw Stony Brook vs. Richmond with my own eyes....

If you guys are cut from the same mold as Stony Brook you do NOT belong in FCS! xcoffeex

Richmond set aside that game with giveaway/reduced ticket prices because the game was a wasted matchup. Stony Brook wore white and still looked small!

The only good that came out of that game was the eye candy for us fans who could see one of SB's hot trainer coeds on the sidelines.

That was the first time I saw a M*A*S*H unit on the sideline icing down the meatless players shoulders, etc. between series! I saw it with my own eyes, Dane96! You do not have the best interests of safety and health of the participants in mind!

Thanks Dane96, for ruining the integrity of the NCAA football classifications...with whatever sway you may have even if it is just here on a message board.

xnutsx

Boogs, you are, without a doubt, a mid-major poster on AGS.xnodx
(It was your meatless posts that made you a mid-major.)

DetroitFlyer
November 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Frankly, I cannot believe that the true Richmond fans on this board are not all over this guy. Talk about an absolute embarassment to your school....

I guess it was divine intervention that allowed teams like Dayton and Albany to defeat FCS, Patriot League Champion Fordham? Well, maybe for Dayton anyway since we are a Catholic school....xlolx

It must have really been a fluke when Drake defeated Illinois State at ISU this year as well.

That San Diego dismantling of Northern Colorado had to be divine intervention once again, ( USD is a Catholic school ).

The NEC's wins last season over FCS teams must also have been a figment of our collective imagination.

I was at the Dayton / Fordham game this year. For the most part, I would have said that the Fordham players were bigger and faster than the Dayton players. That does not mean, however, that Dayton does not have some absolutely incredible football players! Size, strength and speed are obviously good things, but they are NEVER the only things.

In the years that I have been posting on AGS, I have only ever been tempted to use the ignore button once before.... This makes two.... On principal alone, I do not use it because I like to read ALL posts and perspectives, even if I disagree.... But this character is making it very, very difficult.

And this coming from a poster that was voted the second most annoying poster on the board last year, ( me )!!!!!:p

Seahawks Fan
November 8th, 2007, 08:01 AM
And this coming from a poster that was voted the second most annoying poster on the board last year, ( me )!!!!!:p

Boogs make you and the San Diego guy look like regular guys.

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/media/alternatethumbnails/story/2007-01/27493919.jpg

lizrdgizrd
November 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Frankly, I cannot believe that the true Richmond fans on this board are not all over this guy. Talk about an absolute embarassment to your school....

I guess it was divine intervention that allowed teams like Dayton and Albany to defeat FCS, Patriot League Champion Fordham? Well, maybe for Dayton anyway since we are a Catholic school....xlolx

It must have really been a fluke when Drake defeated Illinois State at ISU this year as well.

That San Diego dismantling of Northern Colorado had to be divine intervention once again, ( USD is a Catholic school ).
DF, you were doing just fine until you hit this point. Do not use a win over NoCo as an argument for why the PFL is big time. The only team that can't pound the crap outta NoCo is apparently MSU. xnonono2x

Dane96
November 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I think the Montana, Delaware, and Hofstra guys would disagree with you. So would the NFL who took three guys of ours into camp last year, two are still playing.

You do know that our offensive line averages 6'4 300 and our LB's go 6'1 225...while our safeties go 6'2 225, while our corners go 6'1 200.

Or that our D-Line averages 6'2 and almost 270...

I am so certain you actually are a related to a former fan known as DFFF or Dayton Flyer Fan...who was obsessed with SIZE, PLAYERS GETTING INJURED, COMPUTER SYSTEMS, and ALBANY/STONY BROOK.

DetroitFlyer
November 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
DF, you were doing just fine until you hit this point. Do not use a win over NoCo as an argument for why the PFL is big time. The only team that can't pound the crap outta NoCo is apparently MSU. xnonono2x

So apparently, Montana State is not "big time".... I suppose that now we should throw them into the "Mid-Major" catagory as defined by that guy who claims to be a Richmond fan....

If anything, UNC knocking off MSU tells me that WE ARE ALL FCS!!!!! On any given saturday, any FCS team can defeat any other FCS team. Heck, a team from Boone might even be able to knock off a top 25, FBS, BCS type team.... That hardly means that said BCS team is no longer "big time", now does it?

As I have mentioned before as well, CONFERENCE games are very hard to win, PERIOD!!!!! For some reason, I seem to recall that a certain team from Boone, even though they beat some FBS team from Ann Arbor, has not won all of their conference games....

danefan
November 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Another point from a post yesterday from a Fordham fan:

...I have to reiterate that in the games I saw, there was no more physical team on both sides of the ball than Albany....

lizrdgizrd
November 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
So apparently, Montana State is not "big time".... I suppose that now we should throw them into the "Mid-Major" catagory as defined by that guy who claims to be a Richmond fan....

If anything, UNC knocking off MSU tells me that WE ARE ALL FCS!!!!! On any given saturday, any FCS team can defeat any other FCS team. Heck, a team from Boone might even be able to knock off a top 25, FBS, BCS type team.... That hardly means that said BCS team is no longer "big time", now does it?

As I have mentioned before as well, CONFERENCE games are very hard to win, PERIOD!!!!! For some reason, I seem to recall that a certain team from Boone, even though they beat some FBS team from Ann Arbor, has not won all of their conference games....
Ask MSU if they're still "big time". xcoffeex

WyomingGrizFan
November 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Ask MSU if they're still "big time". xcoffeex

Compared to the Griz, they're less than nothing.