PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the Year ... Fordham's Tom Masella?

Fordham
November 5th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hate to be humping our own so blatently but I'm so blown away by what Masella and his staff have done. Across the board, Fordham fans expected this to be a continued rebuilding year as we knew we'd be fielding a ton of frosh & soph's. We honestly were just hoping for progress so that we could hopefully compete in '08 or '09 for the PL auto-bid. What we've seen this year has just been remarkable, though. It's the best coaching job I've ever seen by far in my years of playing/following the sport.

Again, kudos to our incredible staff, and I'm interested to hear about other Coach of the Year candidates out there. I don't think there's any argument that Masella should NOT be in the COY mix but I don't know the other coaching performances out there (some former Lehigh coaches, maybe?) who are also deserving of consideration, and perhaps may win that award at season's end.

Anyone?

aceinthehole
November 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM
He gets my vote. He did a great job at CCSU and it continues at Fordham. Plus, he's a Wagner grad xthumbsupx

JoltinJoe
November 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM
He gets my vote. He did a great job at CCSU and it continues at Fordham. Plus, he's a Wagner grad xthumbsupx

What's great about CCSU is that Massella left the program in good shape and CCSU has continued to win.

DetroitFlyer
November 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
OK, I have to admit that Tom Masella has done a great job this year! I would certainly have him on my short list for COY! That said, I have to give props to Mike Kelly at Dayton as well. Last year, the Flyers were 4-6, ( 1-6 PFL ). This year, Dayton might finish at 10-1, ( 6-1 PFL ), with wins over Fordham and San Diego. Both coaches oversaw remarkable turnarounds from 2006 to 2007, but I have to ultimately go with my homer pick, Mike Kelly of Dayton!!

RAMS83
November 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Coach Tom Masella at Fordham should get some consideration 8-2 (5-0 PL) . We were 3-8 last year and in preseason picked to finish at the lower end of conference. Fordham is going to the 1-aa playoffs as the Patriot League champ. The team is playing well and has won 6 straight. A guy to keep your eye on in in FCS football the next few years is soph. QB John "El Passo" Skelton (El Paso, TX hometown). He 6'5 220 and talented.

I dont know how Fordham will fair in the playoffs but Masella should be commended. If you dont know much about FU we play a spread offense with 1 back and several receviers. Pretty good size OL 6'3 300 avg. Good QB. Our Defense is small but fast. Coach Masella moved DB's to LB.. LBs to DE's etc.. to implement his speed over size philosophy on D..

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hate to be humping our own so blatently but I'm so blown away by what Masella and his staff have done. Across the board, Fordham fans expected this to be a continued rebuilding year as we knew we'd be fielding a ton of frosh & soph's. We honestly were just hoping for progress so that we could hopefully compete in '08 or '09 for the PL auto-bid. What we've seen this year has just been remarkable, though. It's the best coaching job I've ever seen by far in my years of playing/following the sport.

Again, kudos to our incredible staff, and I'm interested to hear about other Coach of the Year candidates out there. I don't think there's any argument that Masella should NOT be in the COY mix but I don't know the other coaching performances out there (some former Lehigh coaches, maybe?) who are also deserving of consideration, and perhaps may win that award at season's end.

Anyone?

Pete Lembo at ELON is deserving as well.

danefan
November 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM

And a former Bob Ford Grad Assistant at Albany.......like just about anyone else whose name is going to be mentioned for COY.

Dane96
November 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I have Lembo and Massella as my top two...with Masella getting it. I really think he had less to work with than Lembo...but they are both deserving.

Think about it- Forham is 4 points away from being 9-1....WOW!

Brad82
November 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Rhody needs to hire him.

Fordham
November 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
stay away, Brad ... stay away

Ruler 79
November 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
UUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it every F###IN post I read has some reference to Dayton in it???? CHRIST ALMIGHTY ! Flyer fan is worse then any San Diego fan EVER!!!!

Ruler 79
November 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Masella has done a tremendous job and gets my vote. They only lose next year to Albany....I am kidding Flyer Fan! It will be Dayton sorry.

ngineer
November 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I have Lembo and Massella as my top two...with Masella getting it. I really think he had less to work with than Lembo...but they are both deserving.

Think about it- Forham is 4 points away from being 9-1....WOW!

Agreed, that at this point in time, both are worthy candidates...Season ain't over yet...However, keep in mind that Lembo won it his first year at Lehigh, so he could get passed over for another deserving coach who has not won.

colgate13
November 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Masella also has a good staff. Argast is good!

Fordham
November 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
absolutely, 13. Since I've had this back and forth with other Colgate guys, I'll say that I'm on record as saying that Argast is a great one. However, if anyone had ANY doubts, they were shown how incredible he is as our Oline was really the reason we won this game. They were great and it's really ALL about coaching. He's just incredible. He also has had a huge impact on our recruiting, another reason why we've been able to turn it around so quickly.

ElonPride
November 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I would say that Hatcher at GSU and Lembo at Elon are probably near the top of everyone's list.

Elon was supposed to finish dead last in the SoCon, and they're currently sitting in 1st place.xbowx

GSU went 3-8 last year, and now they're currently ranked #12 xeekx

2 solid caoching jobs this season.......

Fordham
November 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Agreed Elon ... those are both remarkable turnaround jobs.

aceinthehole
November 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
absolutely, 13. Since I've had this back and forth with other Colgate guys, I'll say that I'm on record as saying that Argast is a great one. However, if anyone had ANY doubts, they were shown how incredible he is as our Oline was really the reason we won this game. They were great and it's really ALL about coaching. He's just incredible. He also has had a huge impact on our recruiting, another reason why we've been able to turn it around so quickly.

You are right on! What I find pretyy crazy is what he did at CCSU with very little recruiting. He won a conference championship in his first year, with a majority of players he didn't recruit. He repeats in year 2!

Now in just a 2nd year at Fordham, really how many of the starters are "his guys?" I'm guessing not many.

Massela and his staff have an immediate impact with existing players. That's what I find so impressive.

I don't see Massela going anywheree, but I hate to say it, I think he'd be a great fit up at Syracuse. He could turn that program around very quickly!

Ruler 79
November 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM
ACE, you are dead on with Syracuse.

OLPOP
November 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Six of the offensive starters and five on defense are Masella's "guys".

Uncle Buck
November 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Just to throw him in there, Hofstra's Dave Cohen is currently 7-2 and if they win out and finish 9-2, that's a great turnaround from 2-9 last season. Lot's of very worthy candidates.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Six of the offensive starters and five on defense are Masella's "guys".

Two key ones are sophomores and "his guys" is the starting QB (John Skelton) and the CSN Defensive Player of the Week James Crockett. (Oops!, did I make news? :D )

USDFAN_55
November 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
UUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it every F###IN post I read has some reference to Dayton in it???? CHRIST ALMIGHTY ! Flyer fan is worse then any San Diego fan EVER!!!!

If I remeber correctly he was doing the same thing for San Diego last year, and making people go crazy the as well. Sounds like a die hard PFL fan refusing to see the big picture. You can't hate him for loving his team and league, but I can see how annoyed you may get if every thread is hijacked. I know I get annoyed when San Diego threads get hijacked by smack talkersxnodx

UMass922
November 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Al Lavan at Delaware State has got to be near the top of the list.

JoltinJoe
November 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
test

seahawkfan2007
November 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Tom Masella would get my vote. He turned around the CCSU program (I think they had 15 years without a winning season before he arrived) and no one thought Fordham had a chance at the conference title this year.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Masella also deserves it for surviving BU's pulling the rug out from under him a decade ago. This is vindication for him.