PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Possibilities

Go Apps
November 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Okay for what it's worth..

The surprise here is that I predict either or both Delaware and/or S. Ill will lose if so, a strong Southern Conference and attendance will bode well for a top seed..

1 - N. Iowa
E Washington

Delaware - H
Delaware St

4 - Montana
W. Illinois

S. Illinois
N Hampshire

2 - McNeese St
Elon

GSU
Richmond

3 - ASU
EKU

Mass
Fordham

Wofford, JMU, Cal Poly, Norfolk St, miss out

griz37
November 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM
2 loss Appy St. a higher seed than undefeated Montana, lay off the Kool-Aid son.

Grizalltheway
November 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM
McNeese have a weaker schedule than Montana, so why would they be a higher seed?

Live4Griz
November 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM
2 loss Appy St. a higher seed than undefeated Montana, lay off the Kool-Aid son.

Agreed!

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I don't see UNH running the table and getting in.....only time will tell.

McTailGator
November 4th, 2007, 05:15 PM
McNeese have a weaker schedule than Montana, so why would they be a higher seed?

I really do not think the Griz schedule is any more difficult considering we had two common opponets and we beat one of them by MUCH more than the Griz did.

McNeese Avg Margin of Victory = 22 points...

What is the Griz's?

Saint3333
November 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Personally I don't think ASU gets a seed today. My seeds as of today are UNI, McNeese, Montana, and Delaware (apologies to SIU).

But in the debate of #3 vs. #4, really doesn't matter and the committee would likely pair #1 with #4 to match up for regional purposes. Even if the "real" #3 team was closer to the #1 team location wise they would likely get the 4 seed.

JTCowboy
November 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
For starters you barely beat Portland state. We had our way with them.
Yea they have gotten better and so have you( should be) and so have we. So that is very relative.

placidlakegriz
November 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I really do not think the Griz schedule is any more difficult considering we had two common opponets and we beat one of them by MUCH more than the Griz did.

What is the Griz's?

GRIZ avg margin of victory = 18.50 points

Mr. Tiger
November 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM

The surprise here is that I predict either or both Delaware and/or S. Ill will lose if so, a strong Southern Conference and attendance will bode well for a top seed..

1 - N. Iowa
E Washington

Delaware - H
Delaware St

4 - Montana
W. Illinois

S. Illinois
N Hampshire

2 - McNeese St
Elon

GSU
Richmond

3 - ASU
EKU

Mass
Fordham

Western Illinois can't get 7 Division I wins. Eastern Washington has to beat Northern Arizona and that's no gimme. I think James Madison will be in over New Hampshire, if they win out. JMU beat New Hampshire. Still a chance both get in. And I think everyone is sleeping on Alabama A&M's chance of a receiving a bid. If they win the rest of their games, AAMU will be 9-2 with 8 Division I wins. Only losses will be to a ranked Grambling team and a narrow overtime loss to Jackson State. AAMU should be in the discussion.

Peems
November 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM
For App to get a seed they would have to win their conference most likely. Therefore GSU would have to lose again and a few others App. nees a few things to go their way.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM
If UNH wins out, they're in, IMO.

Ronbo
November 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM

What is the Griz's?

31.6 - 13.4

JMU Duke Dog
November 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM
My prediction...

Hofstra (8-3) at #1 Northern Iowa (11-0)
James Madison (8-3) at Appalachian State (9-2)

Delaware State (9-2) at #4 Delaware (10-1)
Fordham (9-2) at Massachusetts (9-2)

Elon (8-3) at #3 Montana (11-0)
Eastern Kentucky (8-3) at Southern Illinois (10-1)

Wofford (8-3) at #2 McNeese State (11-0)
Richmond (8-3) at Georgia Southern (8-3)

Your thoughts?

Baldy
November 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
My prediction...

Your thoughts?
Close, but 5 teams from the CAA? No way.

Saint3333
November 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
For App to get a seed they would have to win their conference most likely. Therefore GSU would have to lose again and a few others App. nees a few things to go their way.

Not true, a seeded team is not always a conference champion. ASU is likely 6th in line for a seed right now. UNI, McNeese, Montana, Delaware, SIU, and then ASU. If ASU wins out and 2 of the others not named UNI lose I believe ASU gets a seed.

Still a lot of football to be played by all teams involved. Good luck to Richmond, Montana St., NW St., and Ill. St. xsmiley_wix.

crunifan
November 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I kinda like his prediction. I would enjoy entertaining Appalachian State in the UNI-Dome. It would be a little payback.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
My prediction...

Your thoughts?
Hofstra aint getting in without a win against UMass

I think Elon (at Citadel) and Wofford (at Chattanooga) lose a game at which point neither will be at-large eligible.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
CAA will not get 5 teams in....hopefully 4.........UNH will be eliminated with a UMASS win this weekend.

APforPrez
November 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Maybe I missed it, but doesn't the MEAC get an automatic bid. I noticed someone did mention Alabama A&M.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
the above bracket has Delaware State playing at Delaware

drpnut
November 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Worth noting:

If Wofford beats Chatty (Which they should) and Elon and GaSouth both lose then Wofford secures the autobid, due to their win over Appy.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Worth noting:

If Wofford beats Chatty (Which they should) and Elon and GaSouth both lose then Wofford secures the autobid, due to their win over Appy.

Chatty isnt a guaranteed win. they lost by only 7 to Western Kentucky. They could surpise nd play spoiler for Wofford.

appstate38
November 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM

1 - N. Iowa
E Washington

Delaware - H
Delaware St

4 - Montana
W. Illinois

S. Illinois
N Hampshire

2 - McNeese St
Elon

GSU
Richmond

3 - ASU
EKU

Mass
Fordham

I don't really see how you can leave out Wofford or JMU and put E. Washington in there. No way they are better than either of the other 2.

Cincy App
November 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I don't really see how you can leave out Wofford or JMU and put E. Washington in there. No way they are better than either of the other 2.

EWU is a lock if they finish 8-3. The Selection Committee will take a 2nd team from the Big Sky before they take a 4th team from the SoCon or a 5th team from the CAA. The Committee has a history of attempting to balance the field with conference participation. This year will be no different.

flyenhigh
November 4th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Where is Dayton in this topic??xlolx

Baldy
November 4th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Not true, a seeded team is not always a conference champion. ASU is likely 6th in line for a seed right now. UNI, McNeese, Montana, Delaware, SIU, and then ASU. If ASU wins out and 2 of the others not named UNI lose I believe ASU gets a seed.

Still a lot of football to be played by all teams involved. Good luck to Richmond, Montana St., NW St., and Ill. St. xsmiley_wix.
A 9-2 GSU team will get a seed before a 9-2 App squad. Just a little food for thought. xwhistlex

sharkeycox
November 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Why are so many Griz fans so whiny?xcoffeex

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Why doesn't UNI host Fordham.......

Purple For Life
November 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Why are so many Griz fans so whiny?xcoffeex

That's like saying "why is the sky blue? why is the grass green?"

igo4uni
November 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I kinda like his prediction. I would enjoy entertaining Appalachian State in the UNI-Dome. It would be a little payback.

Yup.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm confused as to why people are taking UMass over UNH as a foregone conclusion. Both have bad losses (NU, @URI), but UMass hasn't played the schedule and don't have the quality of victories that UNH has. It'll be a great game, and surely an upset if UNH wins, but there are a lot of assumptions that they're done here, which seems foolish.

AlphaSigMD
November 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM

Thats assuming that you win at home. I hear we've beat some pretty good teams on the road this year...xsmiley_wix

skinny_uncle
November 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm confused as to why people are taking UMass over UNH as a foregone conclusion. Both have bad losses (NU, @URI), but UMass hasn't played the schedule and don't have the quality of victories that UNH has. It'll be a great game, and surely an upset if UNH wins, but there are a lot of assumptions that they're done here, which seems foolish.
At 7-2, UMass looks a little closer to clinching a bid than a 6-3 UNH.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
EWU is a lock if they finish 8-3. The Selection Committee will take a 2nd team from the Big Sky before they take a 4th team from the SoCon or a 5th team from the CAA. The Committee has a history of attempting to balance the field with conference participation. This year will be no different.

Ya but will Eastern Wash beat Northern Arizona? im predicting no.

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Where is Dayton in this topic??xlolx

If theres only 7 at large eligible teams come selection day Dayton will get a call, otherwise.... move along :p

UNHWildCats
November 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Everyone thinks UNH is going to lose to UMass, but this is going to be a good close game.

AZGrizFan
November 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I think the BSC gets 5 teams in:

Montana
EWU
NAU
Montana State
Weber State

All will get home games, and all will win. Semis will be an all-BSC affair.

UMass922
November 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
UMass is in a much more precarious position than people think. In 2005 we were cruising for most of the season, were highly ranked, and most people were calling us a lock for the playoffs. Then we lost two games late--including the season finale at Hofstra--and didn't get in. A team can go from being a supposed "lock" to being out of the playoffs very very quickly.

This season is starting to feel eerily similar. We have two very difficult games remaining: at home against UNH this week, and then--surely enough--at Hofstra. Both of those teams always play us very well, and the way we've been playing lately, I'm not assuming anything. Even if we split, I don't think we're a lock at 8-3. We'll be on the bubble and it will all depend what happens with other teams--especially in the SoCon and the CAA South.

GolfingGriz
November 5th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Ya but will Eastern Wash beat Northern Arizona? im predicting no.

If Eastern plays like they did against the griz they will blow them out.

Syntax Error
November 5th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I think the BSC gets 5 teams in:
Montana
EWU
NAU
Montana State
Weber State
All will get home games, and all will win. Semis will be an all-BSC affair.And people will think AZGrizFan knows something about the FCS. All in one fell swoop. jk

xlolx :p

Tod
November 5th, 2007, 03:34 AM
If Eastern plays like they did against the griz they will blow them out.

NAU played badly against the Griz?

GOTW in the Big Sky. Glad I'll be able to follow.

:) :) :)

GolfingGriz
November 5th, 2007, 03:50 AM
NAU played badly against the Griz?

GOTW in the Big Sky. Glad I'll be able to follow.

:) :) :)

NAU doesnt have the redzone D that we do, they'll simply outscore them.

Go Apps
November 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Let me correct myself...

You are right - W. Illinois is eliminated, therefore...

1 - N. Iowa
E Washington

Delaware - H
Delaware St

4 - Montana
N Hampshire

S. Illinois
Elon

2 - McNeese St
Wofford

GSU
Richmond

3 - ASU
EKU

Mass
Fordham

JMU, Cal Poly, Norfolk St, miss out

bluehenbillk
November 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Couple of thoughts from this whole thread:

CAA will NOT get 5 teams in.
Undefeated Montana will still get a 2 seed - the NCAA wants the $$
3 seeded teams are locked up UNI. Mont & McNeese
Last seed will goto CAA winner, SIU or Southern winner

appfan2008
November 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM

agreed on all acounts except where you say montana, uni, and mcneese are all locks for a seed... i dont think anything is a lock if there are still games to be played!

Saluki_man
November 5th, 2007, 08:02 AM
agreed on all acounts except where you say montana, uni, and mcneese are all locks for a seed... i dont think anything is a lock if there are still games to be played!

The only lock is for a seed is UNI, their opponents for their last two games are IN St, and SUU (a combined 0-19). Montana and McNeese have to win out to secure seeds, because one loss for either one of them and they are knocked down a level.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 5th, 2007, 08:41 AM
The only lock is for a seed is UNI, their opponents for their last two games are IN St, and SUU (a combined 0-19). Montana and McNeese have to win out to secure seeds, because one loss for either one of them and they are knocked down a level.

Don't tell that to UMASS or UNH. Both lost to 1-7 teams this past weekend.

appfan2008
November 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM

agreed... i believe that numerous teams will be waiting in the wings if montana or mcneese losses one... deleware, siu, asu, gsu to name a few have a chance to jump in there and take a seed if either of them lose... and i didnt realize what uni had left on their schedule... if those really are their only two games left then yes I would say they are a lock for a seed but the only lock at this point

skinny_uncle
November 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Let me correct myself...

1 - N. Iowa
E Washington

Delaware - H
Delaware St

4 - Montana
N Hampshire

S. Illinois
Elon

2 - McNeese St
Wofford

GSU
Richmond

3 - ASU
EKU

Mass
Fordham

New Hampshire needs a win over UMass just to make the field.

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Montana has nothing 'locked up' they still have to play AT Montana St.. that's NEVER an automatic win.

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Let me correct myself...

1 - N. Iowa
E Washington

Delaware - H
Delaware St

4 - Montana
N Hampshire

S. Illinois
Elon

2 - McNeese St
Wofford

GSU
Richmond

3 - ASU
EKU

Mass
Fordham

why do you have an at best.. 9-2 ASU.. getting a seed over possible 10-1 Delaware or SIU???

Saluki_man
November 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Don't tell that to UMASS or UNH. Both lost to 1-7 teams this past weekend.

Point taken, but if a common opponent is taken into consideration (SIU won @IN St 72-10 and @ SUU 42-10) UNI should have no problem with these two teams at Cedar Falls.

URMite
November 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Point taken, but if a common opponent is taken into consideration (SIU won @IN St 72-10 and @ SUU 42-10) UNI should have no problem with these two teams at Cedar Falls.

Yeah, but you forgot about the weather. Any tornado watches in Cedar Falls. They might lose if it is no longer a dome.xpeacex

already123
November 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Can this same statement be true if/when NAU beats EWU?? They will finish 7-4 and clearly be the second best team in the BSC. What happens then?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Montana goes to the playoffs, the rest do not.

OldTiredGriz
November 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I agree, a 7-4 team is not going to make the playoff field this year. There will be too many 8-3 or better at large teams.

AZGrizFan
November 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Can this same statement be true if/when NAU beats EWU?? They will finish 7-4 and clearly be the second best team in the BSC. What happens then?

They won't have 7 D-I wins. xsmhx

leatherneck177
November 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM
They won't have 7 D-I wins. xsmhx

I understand the 7 D-I wins. But you need to look at the quality of schedule as well. A 7-4 Gateway team is going to be a much stronger team than a 9-2 team in a bottom dweller conference.

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
The loser of the UNH/UMass game is probably not going to make the playoffs..unless the CAA truly gets 5 in. I think JMU, Delaware and Richmond are in, unless JMU falls to someone else. JMU has quality losses to Delaware, Richmond and UNC, while UNH would be out at 4 losses and UMass would be 7-3 with a loss to URI and a game against Hofstra. If UMass beats UNH, they're in. If UNH beats UMass and UMaine, they're in. Things will take care of themselves this weekend. If UMass knocks UNH off, Hofstra is in control of their destiny again, suddenly. Should be an interesting Saturday.

gvilleapp
November 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM

If we win out we are SoCon champs. We may share it with one, two, or three other teams but we would be co-champions at the very least. The head to head comparisons only count when considering the auto bid, not the seeds.

That being said, I don't see us getting a seed unless two teams ahead of us in the rankings now lose a game they are not expected to lose. IMO, our best hope is for Montanta State to knock off Montana. Outside of that game, it's very hard to see any of the other teams ahead of us losing.

GannonFan
November 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
The loser of the UNH/UMass game is probably not going to make the playoffs..unless the CAA truly gets 5 in. I think JMU, Delaware and Richmond are in, unless JMU falls to someone else. JMU has quality losses to Delaware, Richmond and UNC, while UNH would be out at 4 losses and UMass would be 7-3 with a loss to URI and a game against Hofstra. If UMass beats UNH, they're in. If UNH beats UMass and UMaine, they're in. Things will take care of themselves this weekend. If UMass knocks UNH off, Hofstra is in control of their destiny again, suddenly. Should be an interesting Saturday.

Hofstra is in control of their destiny now - they're 7-2 with two games to play - they win out they're 9-2 and in ahead of anybody except probably the winner of the UD/Richmond game. Of course, they have to beat Northeastern in Parsons and UMass at home, but they don't have to rely on any other results to get in.

Uncle Buck
November 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hofstra is in control of their destiny now - they're 7-2 with two games to play - they win out they're 9-2 and in ahead of anybody except probably the winner of the UD/Richmond game. Of course, they have to beat Northeastern in Parsons and UMass at home, but they don't have to rely on any other results to get in.

Great point, Hofstra's playoffs started last week with the William & Mary game. The 'nova debacle threw a wrench in the works, but still, i figured with our schedule 9-2 was a must with a must win over UMass. Gotta love the CAA

already123
November 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM
so basically...there is no chance for NAU to make the playoffs?xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx

Saluki_man
November 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but you forgot about the weather. Any tornado watches in Cedar Falls. They might lose if it is no longer a dome.xpeacex

If a tornado ever hits and destroys the dome, lots of SIU fans will be very happy to see its demise (including this SIU fan).:D

McTailGator
November 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Montana has nothing 'locked up' they still have to play AT Montana St.. that's NEVER an automatic win.

No one really has ANYTHING locked up.

2 more games to play. The locks will come on November 18th. ;)

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
If GSU were to beat Furman this Saturday but then lose to Colorado State (I-A) how would that affect our playoff chances?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
GSU would be in at 8-3 as long as they take care of Furman. They have a number of impressive wins and surely deserve it.

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
GSU would be in at 8-3 as long as they take care of Furman. They have a number of impressive wins and surely deserve it.

I certainly agree but with all the talk about Apps win over UM and how it would get them into the playoffs and a seed. If a I-A win can help can it also hurt?

putter
November 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I would say that GSU is in with a win over Furman. As far as Colorado St I think that GSU has a better than average chance of beating the Rams. They are not good this year so I think it can happen.

Ud1Hens
November 6th, 2007, 11:15 AM
so basically...there is no chance for NAU to make the playoffs?xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx

You can't get to 7 D-I wins...(from other thread)...Even if NAU had 7 D-1 victories what would you put on your resume for the selection committee? We lost to an FBS Arizona team, we lost to an undefeated Montana team, we lost to the then #1 App. St. team? Or that your wins have come against only 1 team with a winning record (that's saying you would have beaten E. Wash.). That doesn't include the D-II team...or the 29 point loss to a 1-8 Sac. St. team.

gasoutherneagle
November 6th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Quite frankly, I'm just happy as hell Georgia Southern is even part of this conversation.

GSU...seeding?

WHO GIVES A TURKEY...BEAT FURMAN AND THE (ONE YEAR REMOVED FROM A 3-8 SEASON) GSU EAGLES ARE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS WITH A SHARE OF THE SOCON CHAMPIONSHIP

I need a twelve pack and a bottle of Jack just to wrap my head around that!

appmountaineer
November 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Also if Delaware loses this weekend to Richmond there is a good chance we can get a seed... I think we may get a seed over SIU

Houndawg
November 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Also if Delaware loses this weekend to Richmond there is a good chance we can get a seed... I think we may get a seed over SIU

You might if you have the same record at the end of the season.

GreatAppSt
November 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
You might if you have the same record at the end of the season.

Then the Committee will look at SOS, Sagarinxnonono2x, and their own internal poll they have been keeping for 3 weeks now, then reward who they feel is best with seed.

roysboi12
November 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I understand that in the first round games home teams are based on money, but is this also true for seeds? For example, with Appalachian leading the nation in attendance at 27K per game would the NCAA want App to have atleast 2 possible home games by giving them a seed? Or is the seeding based solely on the top 4 teams regardless of money?

Barnstormer
November 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I understand that in the first round games home teams are based on money, but is this also true for seeds? For example, with Appalachian leading the nation in attendance at 27K per game would the NCAA want App to have atleast 2 possible home games by giving them a seed? Or is the seeding based solely on the top 4 teams regardless of money?

The seeding is not supposed to be based on $$$... however.. it does make the world go 'round. :)

Saluki_man
November 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Without the AQ ASU has no shot at a seed. The two losses are going to hurt those chances.

GreatAppSt
November 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Without the AQ ASU has no shot at a seed. The two losses are going to hurt those chances.

I think my vinyl record on the player has a scratch?xeyebrowx :D

The Moody1
November 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I think my vinyl record on the player has a scratch?xeyebrowx :D

Some people seem to be having trouble understanding that the AQ means nothing to ASU when the committee is seeding for the playoffs.

Cocky
November 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Since bids for hosting are required by this weekend, does this play into who gets a bid? And no I don't trust the NCAA.

89Hen
November 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Some people seem to be having trouble understanding that the AQ means nothing to ASU when the committee is seeding for the playoffs.
Not entirely true. It is very rare that an at-large receives a seed over the AQ from the same conference.

GreatAppSt
November 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Not entirely true. It is very rare that an at-large receives a seed over the AQ from the same conference. Not in the event of a tie.

BlueHenBoy
November 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM

If Montana were to lose, would there be anyway Delaware could get that 2 seed?

I feel that in all tournaments the 4 seed gets screwed. Because they most likely have to play the 5 and 1 seed. When they deserve to have an easier road. But they do get 2 home games, which is good for someone who has season tickets to Delaware. I really want Montana to lose and Delaware to somehow get that 2 seed (Good things have come from the 2 seed).

skinny_uncle
November 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
If Montana were to lose, would there be anyway Delaware could get that 2 seed?

I feel that in all tournaments the 4 seed gets screwed.
If Montana lost and Delaware won out, maybe a 3 seed behind UNI and McNeese (if they stay undefeated).