PDA

View Full Version : Rhett Bomar out for season

blackfordpu
November 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Bad news for the Kats. He suffered a torn ACL in tonights game.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=1302199

MoorheadBison
November 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Oh Man! Hey, I have nothing but respect for that man after watching him play us. Any word if he will be back for next season? (I think he is a Junior right?) Good luck to you guys.

SeattleGriz
November 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Oh Man! Hey, I have nothing but respect for that man after watching him play us. Any word if he will be back for next season? (I think he is a Junior right?) Good luck to you guys.

I hear he is going to work for the local auto dealership and make a killing. :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Of course all should know that we got the other OU player involved in that fiasco.

slycat
November 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM
thats too bad. best of luck to his recovery. i really would have liked to see him play this year.

Drblankstare
November 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM
That is too bad. The kid has just tons of talent. Lets hope his recovery goes the Carson Palmer route and not the Daunte Culpepper route. best of luck to him.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Let's all remember that SHSU's back-up QB is Brett Hicks. You may recall he was all-SLC HM last year at QB and led the Kats within a game of winning the SLC title. In fact, if not for a QB change by the Head Coach last year, the Kats may have taken a share of the title...

Gil Dobie
November 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Best wishes on a full recovery xthumbsupx

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have no doubt that Hicks can get the job done. The OC is going to have to adjust his play calling seeing as how Hicks is no where near as mobile as Bomar. Look for more running plays and shots down the field. Hicks has shown the ability to throw the long ball.

Thundar
November 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Good luck to Rhett on the recovery.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
SHSU backup QBs...they have credentials! ;)

BRETT HICKS
2006 - Honorable mention All-Southland Conference quarterback ... started eight games ... his 1,773 yards is the 11th highest season passing total in school history ... begins senior season ranked 20th in Bearkat career passing ... best game was 14 of 25 for 299 yards and three TDs including a 93-yard scoring strike in Northwestern State victory. 2005 -- seven of seven passing ... passed for 57 yards at Houston. 2004 -- passed for 73 yards in the Ouachita Baptist victory. 2003 -- redshirt. High school -- All-State and All-District 25-3A on 13-3 state champion for Coach Mike Williamson ... passed for 2,702 yards and 29 TDs as senior and 1,104 yards and 15 TDs as junior

WADE PATE
Leader in the class room with a 4.00 grade point average ... earned his bachelor's degree and now working on post-graduate studies. 2006 -- sidelined by shoulder injury after earning Southland Conference "Offensive Player of the Week" honors with 259 yards passing and three TDs in victory over Arkansas-Monticello.. 2005 -- started four games at quarterback ... Southland Conference Offensive “Player of the Week” after passing for 260 yards and three scores and rushing for two more touchdowns in 35-18 nationally televised victory over Southeastern Louisiana ... passed for 316 yards and two touchdowns leading Sam Houston into overtime against conference co-champion Texas St.-San Marcos ... ranked fifth in the Southland in both passing yards per game and total offense per game. 2004 -- redshirt. 2003 -- threw for 910 yards, the second highest season total by a Bearkat freshman quarterback (Matt Buss passed for 1,444 yards as a redshirt frosh in 1998) ... ranked sixth in Southland Conference passing ... started four games ... passed for more than 100 yards four times ... long pass was a 61-yard completion against McNeese.
High school -- All-State, All-District 20-2A, and District MVP for Coach Randy Copeland on 7-4 playoff squad ... passed for 2,089 yards and 18 touchdowns and rushed for 540 yards and 12 scores as senior ... class valedictorian and first team Academic All-State ... passed for 2,138 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior on 12-1 state quarter-finalist ... All-State pitcher in basebal

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Ronnie Turner's Houston Chronicle blog on Rhett's injury...

http://blogs.chron.com/areacolleges/2007/11/shsu_quarterback_rhett_bomar_d_1.html

blukeys
November 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Bad news for the Kats. He suffered a torn ACL in tonights game.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=1302199

This is of course is a season ending injury. However, the science of repairing ACL injuries has progressed immensely over the last 15 years. Provided Bomar has not also messed up his cartilage as well, his prospects for a full recovery would appear to be good. He will have to work hard at rehab and should stay out of spring ball but he could be close to 100% by the beginning of next year.

JBB
November 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM

I hear that! What a great competitor. I wish him the best. When I saw him at the Fabulous Fargo Dome he played one of the greatest games Ive ever seen a QB play in there.

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
This is of course is a season ending injury. However, the science of repairing ACL injuries has progressed immensely over the last 15 years. Provided Bomar has not also messed up his cartilage as well, his prospects for a full recovery would appear to be good. He will have to work hard at rehab and should stay out of spring ball but he could be close to 100% by the beginning of next year.

I hope you are right. Over at Katfans.com we are wondering about the possibility of him getting a medical redshirt for the 2008 season. Anyone know much about that kind of thing?

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I hope you are right. Over at Katfans.com we are wondering about the possibility of him getting a medical redshirt for the 2008 season. Anyone know much about that kind of thing?

He'd be granted one if he can not play a down. I do not see why not, but then again, I'm no expert...was Rhett ever a redshirt? Didn't he start off as a true freshman?

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
He'd be granted one if he can not play a down. I do not see why not, but then again, I'm no expert...was Rhett ever a redshirt? Didn't he start off as a true freshman?

He did have a traditional redshirt so technically he is a redshirt Junior this season.

McNeese75
November 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM

I find it hard to believe he would get this year back so late in the season. But I really do not know :)

travelinman67
November 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Guy's the poster child for the adage, "If it weren't for bad luck...". Thought he got a raw deal up at OU...wasn't like they were really paying him that much to work there...then he misses a few days and WHAM, they call it graf and he's out of the program! That was B.S.
Was really happy to see SH pick him up. Hope he has a speedy recovery and is back for spring ball.
xnodx

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Rhett Bomar update...

Southland Notebook: Bomar expected back next fall

Torn knee ligament sends SHSU quarterback to sideline
By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

The bad news is Sam Houston State quarterback Rhett Bomar is out for the remainder of the season. The good news is that he should be ready to go in 2008.

A magnetic resonance imaging on Monday confirmed that Bomar tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Saturday night’s 16-13 win over Nicholls State at Bowers Stadium.

The injury came with less than two minutes to go before halftime when the junior quarterback was trying to convert a second-and-one situation. Bomar wasn’t hit on his left knee during the play, but an awkward plant while fighting for the first down caused the ACL to tear.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_310235857.html?keyword=topstory