McNeese
Montana
Fordham

At-large
SIU
Delaware

ElonPride
November 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
I still think at this point ASU, GSU and Woff are all in........if Elon wins out (which is not probable) they will join these 3 teams.

Hansel
November 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
I still think at this point ASU, GSU and Woff are all in........if Elon wins out (which is not probable) they will join these 3 teams.

those teams could all finish with 4 losses

I listed the teams which have 7 DI wins and are for sure in the playoffs :)

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
If Wofford loses to Chatty they wont have 7 Div I wins.

FCSFAN
November 3rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
I listed the teams which have 8 DI wins and are for sure in the playoffs :)Delaware only has 7 D-I wins and are not for sure in the playoffs. Only the AQs you listed are for sure.

Hansel
November 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Delaware only has 7 D-I wins.

That's what I meant ;)

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM

I listed the teams which have 8 DI wins and are for sure in the playoffs :)

Southern Illinois only has 7 DI wins.

And, if they lose their last 2 (vs. Illinois St., @ Hampton), they're definitely not a lock given the strength of the playoff candidates this year.

Delaware only has 7 DI wins, as well, though their resume at this point is a little better than SIU's.

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM

And, if they lose their last 2 (vs. Illinois St., @ Hampton), they're definitely not a lock given the strength of the playoff candidates this year.

Delaware only has 7 DI wins, as well, though their resume at this point is a little better than SIU's.

Theres a strength of playoff candidates? By my count theres 21 credible teams who are still elgible for an atlarge bid. An 8-3 SIU is most certainly a lock.

Hansel
November 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM

no way SIU doesn't get in- even at 8-3 the NCAA will take more than one Gateway team

there are 22000 reasons UD would make it at 8-3

FCSFAN
November 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Whatever, the committee is not as cynical as you and no team is a lock based on attendance. The AQs are the only locks with 20% or so of the season left.

Retro
November 3rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
There's one thing some of you rookie's to the FCS level need to understand.. When selecting teams for the playoffs, attendance is not a factor.. It is only a factor in selecting home games for Non-Seeded teams when the 2 teams playing have similar records or are very comparable in how they performed during the season even if they have diff wins/losses.

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
no way SIU doesn't get in- even at 8-3 the NCAA will take more than one Gateway team

there are 22000 reasons UD would make it at 8-3

I think you been called a rookie ;)

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
If SIU and UD both get to 10-1, one of them will get a seed. UNI, Montana and McNeese should get the other seeds unless one of them stumbles.

umassfan
November 3rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
UMass has 7 D I wins so far also. They may end with 4 losses but have 7 wins

FCSFAN
November 3rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
UMass has 7 D I wins so far also. They may end with 4 losses but have 7 winsIf that is the case it will be a real shame for them to be on the outside looking in.

Drblankstare
November 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
I have trouble believing UMass wont make it.

URMite
November 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
There's one thing some of you rookie's to the FCS level need to understand.. When selecting teams for the playoffs, attendance is not a factor.. It is only a factor in selecting home games for Non-Seeded teams when the 2 teams playing have similar records or are very comparable in how they performed during the season even if they have diff wins/losses.

How much do they compare attendance to bids? We are likely to have 7000 attendance but have a 22000 seat stadium and probably money for a bid. Which could explain or 2nd rd home game in 2005.

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
How much do they compare attendance to bids? We are likely to have 7000 attendance but have a 22000 seat stadium and probably money for a bid. Which could explain or 2nd rd home game in 2005.

In the first round the 4 seeds are at home, the other 4 games are supposed to go to the high bidder...

I dont know if they determine the brackets first then look at the bids for each team in the matchups and give the high biod the home game or if they pick out the 4 highest bids then determine the matchups.

URMite
November 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM

But you didn't list them. Was the criteria for your at-large list that a team already have 7 DI wins & not have the possibility of more than 3 losses? It looks like that was your definition of an at-large lock.

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
If SIU and UD both get to 10-1, one of them will get a seed. UNI, Montana and McNeese should get the other seeds unless one of them stumbles.

IF.. and that is a big IF.. UD and SIU both finish at 10-1.. UD would get the seed.. they would have wins over two probable playoff teams.. JMU & Richmond.. along with a win over a bowl bound FBS team.. Navy.

SIU's best win is who??? not a playoff team as YSU & WIU both have four loses and their FBS win is over Northern Illinios who is currently 1-8.

Seems pretty obvious that UD would get a seed over SIU.

URMite
November 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
In the first round the 4 seeds are at home, the other 4 games are supposed to go to the high bidder...

I dont know if they determine the brackets first then look at the bids for each team in the matchups and give the high biod the home game or if they pick out the 4 highest bids then determine the matchups.

I was saying in 2005, we played at a seed then at home the next round against a team that probably had 50% more attendance but I think had less stadium capacity. So we could have made a bid 3x our attendance and it wouldn't have been rejected as impossible. Of course, I don't know what the bids were.

UMass922
November 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM

UMass has two very loseable games remaining (vs. UNH and at Hofstra--both of them teams that always play UMass well, and that have had pretty good seasons to boot). Combine that with UMass's quality of play the last few games, and I'm not taking anything for granted. In fact, this season is starting look eerily similar to 2005, when we were a supposed "lock" for the playoffs most of the season until losing two games late--including the season finale at Hofstra.

Delaware and SIU still have work to do, too. Delaware's two remaining games are challenging ones--vs. Richmond and at Villanova. If they lose out, they're at 8-3 with 7 D-I wins--and all that makes them a lock for is the bubble.

Chi Panther
November 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
IF.. and that is a big IF.. UD and SIU both finish at 10-1.. UD would get the seed.. they would have wins over two probable playoff teams.. JMU & Richmond.. along with a win over a bowl bound FBS team.. Navy.

SIU's best win is who??? not a playoff team as YSU & WIU both have four loses and their FBS win is over Northern Illinios who is currently 1-8.

Or their only loss is to the #1 Seed Team on the road....could really go either way. I do believe Delware schedule has been more difficult.....

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Or their only loss is to the #1 Seed Team on the road....could really go either way. I do believe Delware schedule has been more difficult.....

one good loss does not = three good wins... ;)

UNHWildCats
November 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
I think Hampton just bids some rdiculous amount... there attendence in 2005 and 2006 playoff games was pretty bad. They must have lost $$ on each game

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2007, 10:34 PM

It was a hypothetical.
They both still have to get to 10-1.
JMU (6-3) needs a couple of more wins to get in. With their schedule, that could probably happen. I'm not sure a win over them is much better than wins over YSU and WIU who are both 6-4.

Sam Adams
November 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
UMASS UNH Will be a huge game again. If UMASS wins then it wil come down to the Hofstra game to decide the CAA champs.

URMite
November 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
It was a hypothetical.
They both still have to get to 10-1.
JMU (6-3) needs a couple of more wins to get in. With their schedule, that could probably happen. I'm not sure a win over them is much better than wins over YSU and WIU who are both 6-4.

You are right about one thing all 4 could end up 7-4. Actually William & Mary could make that happen for both JMU & Richmond (assuming we lose at UD).

I'm not going to get into the middle of the rest of it.;)

ChickenMan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure a win over them is much better than wins over YSU and WIU who are both 6-4.

Spoken like a true Gateway fan.. :p

UD has a lot of work to do before they finish 10-1.. but if JMU finishes 8-3.. they are in the playoffs.. if Richmond finishes 8-3.. they are in as well.. where will YSU & WIU be come playoff time? Also UD's win over a FBS Bowl bound team.. Navy.. looks pretty good now too.

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
UMASS UNH Will be a huge game again. If UMASS wins then it wil come down to the Hofstra game to decide the CAA champs.

Are you overlooking Delaware?

UMass922
November 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
Are you overlooking Delaware?

He certainly is--if UD wins out, they take the title and the auto-bid, no matter what UMass or anyone else does.

URMite
November 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
He certainly is--if UD wins out, they take the title and the auto-bid, no matter what UMass or anyone else does.

And I still think that if UR and UMass win out none of the tiebreakers help.

If something strange happens like UMass loses to HU, beats UNH; UR beats UD, UD beats VU; W&M beats UR, and JMU & HU win out - all 5 would be 6-2 and we are back to square 1...

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
xdizzyx

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
I think Hampton just bids some rdiculous amount... there attendence in 2005 and 2006 playoff games was pretty bad. They must have lost $$ on each game

I think you're misunderstanding how the "bid" system works.

For the unseeded games, the playoff committee decides who should get the home game based on facility quality, likely attendance, likely ticket/concession sales, etc. That team is then asked to submit the required bid (a fixed amount which changes in each round) to make sure they get the home game, otherwise the committee allows the other team to put in the same bid amount. If neither team is willing to put forth that amount, then the committee will lower the money requirement & ask their first choice again.

There's no "bidding war" as you seem to be implying.

URMite
November 4th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I think you're misunderstanding how the "bid" system works.

For the unseeded games, the playoff committee decides who should get the home game based on facility quality, likely attendance, likely ticket/concession sales, etc. That team is then asked to submit the required bid (a fixed amount which changes in each round) to make sure they get the home game, otherwise the committee allows the other team to put in the same bid amount. If neither team is willing to put forth that amount, then the committee will lower the money requirement & ask their first choice again.

There's no "bidding war" as you seem to be implying.

I agree that I don't know the process but in 2005 we, Richmond averaged 6066/game & hosted a 2nd rd game against Furman who averaged 11052/game. I'm just trying to figure out why. I thought it might be related to the fact that our stadium is 22000 compared to Furman's 16000.

HensRock
November 4th, 2007, 12:32 AM
It sounds to me like we have a misunderstanding between "neccesary" and "sufficient" conditions.

7 D-I wins is necessary but not sufficient for playoff participation.

I do not think UD is a "lock" at this point. 1 more win and I think we are.

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Montana is in.

Clinched the Big Sky title today.

Preditcion - Montana given #3 seed for playoffs

Saluki_man
November 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM
It sounds to me like we have a misunderstanding between "neccesary" and "sufficient" conditions.

7 D-I wins is necessary but not sufficient for playoff participation.

I do not think UD is a "lock" at this point. 1 more win and I think we are.

Likewise with SIU. For SIU to be a lock, one more win is needed.