Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Offense looks extremly rusty in the first half

Chi Panther
November 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM
crazy day so far in CAA and GFC.....

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
The way things are going around the country today, this game could be instrumental in getting a seed. If we can pull our heads out.

Mountain Panther
November 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
What's goin on here? Score?

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
What's goin on here? Score?

Still 9-3 in the 4th. WIU playing inspired D and out-coaching us so far. SIU has the ball on the 40.

SeattleGriz
November 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Game must be a real snorer, only 8 post so far and its in the 4th.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Game must be a real snorer, only 8 post so far and its in the 4th.

WIU has done a great job of keeping the ball, just like UNI did to them. I think they're 4 minutes ahead in TOP. SIU scores, but flag on play. Offside on WIU, game tied.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
xp good.

Mountain Panther
November 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
10-9 SIU?

How much time left?

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
SIU stuffs the run on 4th & 2. 5 minutes left in the game. Got to wrap this up.

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
SIU turnover at the WIU 4.

WIU has to go 70 yds with about 1:18 left to go

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
SIU fumbles on the 4 going in. Randle trying to cute with spin moves. 1:20 left. 94 yds, to go for WIU.

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
I think WIU needs to get to the SIU 28 for a decent FG shot.

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
:41 sec left ball on WIU 38

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
:31 left, ball on SIU 44. WIU has one TO left.

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Sack SIU. WIU forced to take last TO.

Ball now on SIU 47, :27 left

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
SIU sack. :11 sec left. Ball is on WIU 44.

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
SIU INT to finish off WIU. :01 left

Saluki_man
Its over, its all over.

SIU 10
WIU 9

Mountain Panther
What a great game. Way to pull it out Salukes!

Hansel
November 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Salukis are in the playoffs- WIU is now out :)

Chi Panther
November 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Good Game WIU.....

Congrats on pulling it out SIU....

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Didn't play well on offense, but scored just enough to get the win.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
I don't know who UNI played, but it wasn't those guys. Better lucky than good.

FCS Preview
November 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
WTG SIU.

Puts me at (3-0) for the day so far, with picks of SIU, UDel and GSU.

Richmond over Villanova and Portland State over Montana are the last two games in play. PSU looking more unlikely now...

Chi Panther
November 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
The SIU/WIU game is the equivalent of the UNI/YSU game......these games happen......

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
The SIU/WIU game is the equivalent of the UNI/YSU game......these games happen......

I think you guys pissed them off!:D

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Now its on to IL St and senoir day. Gotta play much better on offense to win.

HI54UNI
November 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Congrats to SIU

JoeNeck90
November 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM
Didn't play well on offense, but scored just enough to get the win.

Explain it to me. xchinscratchx You weren't there, I don't think. Hill hit his targets. The backs were all healthy......what gives? Ah....another football expert.

JoeNeck90
November 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Salukis are in the playoffs- WIU is now out :)

PM me because you're a jackass and I want to hook up next year.

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Explain it to me. xchinscratchx You weren't there, I don't think. Hill hit his targets. The backs were all healthy......what gives? Ah....another football expert.
WIU dominated time of possession using Donaldson a lot especially in the first half. On the fourth quarter drive that put SIU ahead it was mostly the passing game that drove it. Hill completed seven passes on that drive. The Salukis had a chance to put it away until Randle fumbled on the six with 1:27 left. WIU tried their two minute drill but were not effective at it.

Saluki_man
November 3rd, 2007, 10:56 PM

When SIU only rushes for 71 yds the whole game, it presents a major problem on offense. We got extremely lucky on some of the kicking gaffs that WIU had. SIU only had 25:30 in TOP, and were not getting yardage on first down. It seems like SIU was in 2nd & long and 3rd & long all day long.

siugrad99
November 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
win is a win on the road in the gateway. good teams find a way to win.

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
True.

JoeNeck90
November 4th, 2007, 02:32 AM
When SIU only rushes for 71 yds the whole game, it presents a major problem on offense. We got extremely lucky on some of the kicking gaffs that WIU had. SIU only had 25:30 in TOP, and were not getting yardage on first down. It seems like SIU was in 2nd & long and 3rd & long all day long.

The bottom line is that WIU's defense shut SIU's offense down. The "we played bad" doesn't fly with me when Hill hit his marks and SIU is running 3backs. JUCO JERRY hasn't developed a back out of high school yet. He has been fortunate to have had two great QB's....he recruits okay and fills it all in with transfers. I just wish all of the SIU fans would cool out instead of thinking that they are some super powerhouse because Geri has won some games.

JoeNeck90
November 4th, 2007, 02:34 AM

Tell your wife Big Joe said hello. We knew each other back in the day.;)

JoeNeck90
November 4th, 2007, 02:37 AM
WIU dominated the game.

Good post, Unc.

Dome fan
November 4th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Wow! Have some class man. Win or lose! Give credit where it is due in a hard fought game. Root for your fellow conf bro's to kick butt and make some noise in the post season.

I love the Gateway Conf!!!

Houndawg
November 4th, 2007, 06:28 AM
The bottom line is that WIU's defense shut SIU's offense down. The "we played bad" doesn't fly with me when Hill hit his marks and SIU is running 3backs. JUCO JERRY hasn't developed a back out of high school yet. He has been fortunate to have had two great QB's....he recruits okay and fills it all in with transfers. I just wish all of the SIU fans would cool out instead of thinking that they are some super powerhouse because Geri has won some games.

Aw Joe, where is the love? xlolx

Hill was 22/29 for 250 yds and looked like the Payton Award candidate he is. WIU did a great job stopping the run, but we're not a one-dimensional offense and we played pretty good D ourselves. Donaldson rushed for 30 yds in the second half and I think he got 1 yard in the 4th quarter.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM
....... JUCO JERRY hasn't developed a back out of high school yet. He has been fortunate to have had two great QB's....he recruits okay and fills it all in with transfers. I just wish all of the SIU fans would cool out instead of thinking that they are some super powerhouse because Geri has won some games.

He developed those QBs, Einstein. And yeah, I guess he does recruit OK. Has it been the repeated asswhompings that lead you to that profound insight? See you in the playo...oops, wrong purple helmet, nevermind.

JohnStOnge
November 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Aw Joe, where is the love? xlolx

Hill was 22/29 for 250 yds and looked like the Payton Award candidate he is. WIU did a great job stopping the run, but we're not a one-dimensional offense and we played pretty good D ourselves. Donaldson rushed for 30 yds in the second half and I think he got 1 yard in the 4th quarter.

In all honesty, as an outsider looking at the stats and who hasn't read all the back and forth in this thread, it's hard to see how WIU lost this game. Usually one can find some explanation like turnovers, penalties, or return yards to explain why the team that moved the ball better didn't win. But that's not the case. Turnovers were even. WIU did have 5 penalties for 25 yards and SIU didn't have any penalties. And WIU missed an extra point...which was obviously the difference between 10 and 9.

But to me a team has to kind of "underachieve" to get over 400 yards of offense...and especially with over 200 yards rushing...and end up with only 9 (or 10) points.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM
In all honesty, as an outsider looking at the stats and who hasn't read all the back and forth in this thread, it's hard to see how WIU lost this game. Usually one can find some explanation like turnovers, penalties, or return yards to explain why the team that moved the ball better didn't win. But that's not the case. Turnovers were even. WIU did have 5 penalties for 25 yards and SIU didn't have any penalties. And WIU missed an extra point...which was obviously the difference between 10 and 9.

But to me a team has to kind of "underachieve" to get over 400 yards of offense...and especially with over 200 yards rushing...and end up with only 9 (or 10) points.

No doubt that WIU played well enough to win, as did SIU at UNI.

SIU's D made big plays in big situations, like stuffing Donaldson on 4th and 2. WIU missed two FGs and SIU fumbled on the 4 yard line going in after driving the field at the end of the game. WIU won the TOP battle by about 5 minutes. This game was like UNI's game against YSU where they were outplayed and outcoached for most of the game but pulled it out on talent.

JohnStOnge
November 4th, 2007, 09:15 AM
No doubt that WIU played well enough to win, as did SIU at UNI.

SIU's D made big plays in big situations, like stuffing Donaldson on 4th and 2. WIU missed two FGs and SIU fumbled on the 4 yard line going in after driving the field at the end of the game. WIU won the TOP battle by about 5 minutes. This game was like UNI's game against YSU where they were outplayed and outcoached for most of the game but pulled it out on talent.

Biggest difference is that, SIU/UNI game you can look at the stats and see that UNI didn't have any turnovers and SIU turned it over 4 times. Plus the disparity in offensive production wasn't as large and SIU didn't run the ball well against UNI. So the stats "make sense" as to who the winner was. You can see an obvious explanation for why SIU lost in spite of having a modest edge in total yards.

Hey, it's like they say, only stat that really counts is the final score. But I think that, the overwhelming majority of the time, if a team does as much better than its opponent running the ball as WIU did yesterday, also had a sizeable edge in total offensive production, and doesn't hurt itself with turnovers and an unusual amount of penalties, it's going to win the game.

I do think SIU is the better team week in and week out. In fact I think SIU might be the best team in the Gateway and kind of beat itself against UNI. But I know that if I was a WIU fan with my team needing that win to keep playoff hopes alive I'd be real disapointed in having put up those kinds of stats, only score 9 points, and lose the game.

Saluki_man
November 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM

For SIU to win consistantly their offensive line has to control the line of scrimage. Yesterday that did not happen. I don't care how good your running back is, if he doesn't have the offensive line blocking, he goes nowhere. SIU averaged 2.2 yds per carry yesterday, at any level of football thats not enough to generally get it done.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Biggest difference is that, SIU/UNI game you can look at the stats and see that UNI didn't have any turnovers and SIU turned it over 4 times. Plus the disparity in offensive production wasn't as large and SIU didn't run the ball well against UNI. So the stats "make sense" as to who the winner was. You can see an obvious explanation for why SIU lost in spite of having a modest edge in total yards.

Hey, it's like they say, only stat that really counts is the final score. But I think that, the overwhelming majority of the time, if a team does as much better than its opponent running the ball as WIU did yesterday, also had a sizeable edge in total offensive production, and doesn't hurt itself with turnovers and an unusual amount of penalties, it's going to win the game.

I do think SIU is the better team week in and week out. In fact I think SIU might be the best team in the Gateway and kind of beat itself against UNI. But I know that if I was a WIU fan with my team needing that win to keep playoff hopes alive I'd be real disapointed in having put up those kinds of stats, only score 9 points, and lose the game.

I take your points, John, but statistics are like bikinis. What they show you is interesting, and what they don't show you is even more interesting.

The disparity in offensive production was slightly less than 100 yards, I think. Note that Donaldson had 137 yds., but more than 100 came in the first half. If you had told me before the game that WIU would rush for 200 yards I would have shrugged and said we can still beat them. If you told me that WIU would run for 200 AND pass for 200 I would have expected to lose that game. What stats don't show is heart and we have it. We were 20 points down to NIU in the 4th quarter, took UNI to the last play at their place after their bye week, and found a way to win against a very good WIU defense eager to show well after being thoroughly embarasssed by UNI last week.

Hard breaks for WIU and YSU this year, either are as good as the 4th place SoCon team or the 3rd place CAA team that will be in.

JackTwice
November 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM
statistics are like bikinis. What they show you is interesting, and what they don't show you is even more interesting.

That has got to be the quote of the year xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM
That has got to be the quote of the year xthumbsupx

Thankya. Thankya vury much.