PDA

View Full Version : Delaware St/Winston-Salem

ChickenMan
November 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
I hope I'm wrong.. but I think Del St loses at Winston-Salem tomorrow. Del St has been more fortunate than good the past few weeks and I think it catches up with them tomorrow.

Winston-Salem 20
Delaware St 17

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
I too hope you are wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me. WSSU has beaten Morgan, FAMU, B-CC and Hampton already and are on a three game winning streak. Plus they have really cool helmets and unis. xsmiley_wix xnodx

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wssu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1482934.jpeg

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
WSSU is good. It looks like they may be back to where they were in the late '80s. Every year you knew the CIAA championship was going to be between Union and Winston Salem.

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
Does it impact DSU's chances to win the MEAC, though? I thought this wasn't even considered a conference game, officially, since Winston Salem is still in transition into FCS? DSU getting the autobid will come down to the game against Norfolk St - win that and they're in, lose that and start hoping. Of course, they can hope more easily in that case if they win everything but Norfolk.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 11:16 AM
Does it impact DSU's chances to win the MEAC, though? I thought this wasn't even considered a conference game, officially, since Winston Salem is still in transition into FCS?
I guess you are correct. While every other website shows them in the standings, the MEAC website does not.

http://www.meacsports.com/sports/men/football/standings/conf.std

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
I guess you are correct. While every other website shows them in the standings, the MEAC website does not.

http://www.meacsports.com/sports/men/football/standings/conf.std

Well, Central Arkansas is in the Southland standings too but they aren't eligible yet to receive the autobid out of there, no matter where they finish. Losing to Winston Salem will make the MEAC almost certainly a one-bid league, with that bid being decided by the Norfolk/DSU game. If DSU loses to Norfolk only they might still have a shot at an at-large, if things break for them.

henfan
November 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
This game has no impact on DSU's MEAC title chances. In fact, the Hornets clinch at least a share of the MEAC title with a Norfolk St. loss on Saturday, regardless of what they do against WSSU. A win vs. NSU next week would sew up the title.

bluehenbillk
November 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
This game has no impact on DSU's MEAC title chances. In fact, the Hornets clinch at least a share of the MEAC title with a Norfolk St. loss on Saturday, regardless of what they do against WSSU. A win vs. NSU next week would sew up the title.

True, but a loss here makes the MEAC a sure-fire 100% lock for a one-bid league this year. I'd like to see a UD-DSU game just so we won't have to hear more about it throughout next year.

raginram
November 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
by 89hen I too hope you are wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me. WSSU has beaten Morgan, FAMU, B-CC and Hampton already and are on a three game winning streak. Plus they have really cool helmets and unis.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wssu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1482934.jpeg

Thanks for the Compliment and no we do not count in the standings

ChickenMan
November 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Norfolk St plays at Morgan St tomorrow.. if Morgan St wins.. NSU would have two loses in the MEAC. Del St would then need to win just one of their final two games.. Norfolk St or Howard.. both at home.. to win the MEAC and the playoff auto qualifer.

henfan
November 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm just hoping DSU doesn't blow it somehow. They have a long history of losing MEAC games that matter down the stretch, though that's not been a frequent hallmark during Lavan's tenure.

The Hornets have really got to get the offense in gear if they expect to win any of the next three games. Defense can only carry a team for so long. Eventually they are going to run into an offense that executes like it should.

Go, Stingin' Hornets!xthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm picking them to lose tomorrow and still win the MEAC, though. Tough to live on the edge too many weeks in a row, especially on the road. I think they recover and take care of Norfolk St - lost faith in them after that loss to Howard. yuck.

proasu89
November 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Go Rams!

henfan
November 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'm picking them to lose tomorrow and still win the MEAC, though.

Agreed, though we'll see how NSU responds this week. If they win this week, all bets are off for them losing that game in Dover.

Oddly, WSSU & SCSU might be the two best teams 'in' the MEAC.

R.A.
November 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
If Delaware State is going to lose one, this is the one to lose because Winston Salem State MEAC games still don't count as conference games. They are still a transitional institution, so they still don't count.

BUT if Delaware State ever needed a statement game, this is the team to make that statement against.The WSSU Rams would be the 3rd place team in the MEAC this season, and Saturday is their homecoming.

If the Hornets go down there and handle business in a big way, that might stand out to the NCAA selection committee in a few weeks.

R.A.
November 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
By the way... Morgan's going to knock the snot out of Norfolk State this weekend.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Here's hoping the Hornets ruin yet another team's Homecoming. xthumbsupx

raginram
November 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Here's hoping the Hornets ruin yet another team's Homecoming. xthumbsupx

Here's hoping not:D

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wssu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1332833.jpeg

Hot chocolate and football on a cool fall day perfect for football xcoffeex

Intrepid
November 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Or the offense might finally wake up...that's DelState biggest weakness, it needs a tune up asap or else UD will bury them at the Tub in the playoffs.

gr8ness97
November 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
This game will be a close one...WSSU hasnt lost by more than 14 points all season

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Or the offense might finally wake up...that's DelState biggest weakness, it needs a tune up asap or else UD will bury them at the Tub in the playoffs.

Unless they come up with a new offense line and something other than McBride, they'll get buried anyway (assuming UD is there to meet them) - that offensive line may be big, but it's way, way too slow.

Punchykky
November 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
By the way... Morgan's going to knock the snot out of Norfolk State this weekend.

I'm just hoping that the NSU SPARTANS can comPETE with the Bears of Morgan State!xsmiley_wix

R.A.
November 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM
I'm just hoping that the NSU SPARTANS can comPETE with the Bears of Morgan State!xsmiley_wix

GOSH!

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/-/Napoleon-Dynamite-Poster-C10220521.jpeg