PDA

View Full Version : New England----Football at its finest!

Umass74
November 2nd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Take a look at this article (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/11/02/new_england_now_a_hot_spot/) from the Boston Globe.

New England football teams (not counting the Patriots!) are 26-2 in their respective leagues and 46-8 overall. xnodx

andy7171
November 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Isn't Rhode Island and Maine part of New England? What relavance does this article have if they fail to include Northeastern Rhode Island and Maine?

I mean if you ignore Maryland, Navy and Towson's mediocre years, Division I football in the State of Maryland is 5-3 thanks to Morgan State!

Ud1Hens
November 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
That is pretty impressive but if they are going to include Boston College in the artical how can they not include Northeastern (Both are in Boston). Do they conveniently leave them out because they are 0-5 in the CAA (last place) and 1-7 overall? That goes for Rhode Island too, which is 0-5, 1-7 as well as Maine which is 1-4, 2-6. So the true record of New England is really 27-15 in their leagues and 50-28 overall.

Other than those teams being left out it is a nice write-up.

UAalum72
November 2nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
To complete Division I in New England:

Brown 3-4 overall
Dartmouth 2-5
Central Conn. 5-3
Sacred Heart 3-6

63-46 overall

citdog
November 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
you are still a bunch of yankee scum whose ancestors sprung from the sewers of europe!

UNHWILDCATS05
November 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
Isn't Rhode Island and Maine part of New England? What relavance does this article have if they fail to include Northeastern Rhode Island and Maine?

I mean if you ignore Maryland, Navy and Towson's mediocre years, Division I football in the State of Maryland is 5-3 thanks to Morgan State!

Well, it is the Globe, so you know whatever is in there is either plagiarized or incorrect xnonox xlolx

andy7171
November 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
you are still a bunch of yankee scum whose ancestors sprung from the sewers of europe!

You're our lovable loser, The Citdog!

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Take a look at this article (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/11/02/new_england_now_a_hot_spot/) from the Boston Globe.

New England football teams (not counting the Patriots!) are 26-2 in their respective leagues and 46-8 overall. xnodx

No kidding, talk about telling HALF the story. xconfusedx xsmhx xnonox (not you 74, the author).

Brown 3-4
Dartmouth 2-5
URI 1-7
Northeastern 1-7
Maine 2-6
CCSU 5-3

BTW, the state of Delaware is a combined 22-3 (14-1) xsmiley_wix

Delaware 7-1 (4-1)
Delaware State 7-1 (6-0)
Wesley 8-1 (4-0)

aust42
November 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM

lol. Where do the Southern folk come from?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
So the research wasn't complete.xrolleyesx

The fact that any paper in the region acknowledges that it's college football season and not the start of college hockey season is a step in the right direction.xpeacex

Spoke
November 2nd, 2007, 08:41 AM

That's ok, my wife isn't my sister.

CrusaderBob
November 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
I guess I'm not reading this article they way you guys are. It was UMass74 that made the point about football teams in NE being 26-2 in their conferences, not the author of the article.

The way I read the article I think all the author was saying was that there's some pretty good football being played in New England and to use his words, New England has "blossomed" this year as a football region. He does not need to cite Northeastern, URI, etc. to support this point.

Each of the seven teams he cites are in strong contention to win 5 of the 6 Division I conferences that play in NE. That pretty much tells me that the area has blossomed in it's football competitiveness - particularly when compared to other seasons in NE. That's all.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
I guess I'm not reading this article they way you guys are. It was UMass74 that made the point about football teams in NE being 26-2 in their conferences, not the author of the article.

The way I read the article I think all the author was saying was that there's some pretty good football being played in New England and to use his words, New England has "blossomed" this year as a football region. He does not need to cite Northeastern, URI, etc. to support this point.
Not true...

"Look at the standings involving New England schools.

Atlantic Coast Conference: BC 4-0 in conference play, 8-0 overall (first in the ACC Atlantic)

Big East: Connecticut 3-0, 7-1 (first)

Ivy: Harvard 4-0, 5-2; Yale 4-0, 7-0 (tied for first)

Colonial Athletic Association: UMass 5-0, 7-1 (first in CAA North); New Hampshire 3-2, 6-2 (second in CAA North)

Patriot: Holy Cross 3-0, 6-2 (second)

That is a combined conference record of 26-2 and a staggering 46-8 overall."

VERY misleading. The other teams we all mentioned are part of the "standings involving New England schools".

andy7171
November 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM

The hills.

citdog
November 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
That's ok, my wife isn't my sister.

CHARLESTON PEOPLE ARE AS ASHAMED OF THE APP STATE PEOPLE AND THEIR BREEDING WAYS AS YOU ARE!xnodx

citdog
November 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
The hills.

NO, BETWIXT THE ASHLEY AND THE COOPER!

CrusaderBob
November 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
Not true...

"Look at the standings involving New England schools.

Atlantic Coast Conference: BC 4-0 in conference play, 8-0 overall (first in the ACC Atlantic)

Big East: Connecticut 3-0, 7-1 (first)

Ivy: Harvard 4-0, 5-2; Yale 4-0, 7-0 (tied for first)

Colonial Athletic Association: UMass 5-0, 7-1 (first in CAA North); New Hampshire 3-2, 6-2 (second in CAA North)

Patriot: Holy Cross 3-0, 6-2 (second)

That is a combined conference record of 26-2 and a staggering 46-8 overall."

VERY misleading. The other teams we all mentioned are part of the "standings involving New England schools".

But because he itemizes the schools about which he is writing, it's not
misleading at all, unless you are from Djibouti (or South Carolina like citdog xsmiley_wix )
and think those are the only 7 schools playing football in New England.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
But because he itemizes the schools about which he is writing, it's not
misleading at all, unless you are from Djibouti (or South Carolina like citdog xsmiley_wix )
and think those are the only 7 schools playing football in New England.

Dude, dude, dude.

THis is a typical example of a reporter twisting facts to fit a pre-concieved notion of how he wants the story to go. Happens every DAY in the journalism world. IF he were TRULY interested in discussing the merits of New England football, he would have discussed ALL New England football teams, not just cherry-picked the best and ignored the rest.

Using his logic, football teams in Montana are undefeated!

Griz 8-0
Carroll College 8-0.

Oh, wait.....are there OTHER football teams that play in Montana? I wasn't aware....

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
But because he itemizes the schools about which he is writing, it's not misleading at all, unless you are from Djibouti (or South Carolina like citdog xsmiley_wix ) and think those are the only 7 schools playing football in New England.
I wholly disagree. Not many people think of Brown, Northeastern, Dartmouth... outside of fans of those teams or fellow conference mates. The article IS misleading.

BTW, I had to e-mail the author, I often do (both to criticize and compliment). His response makes me believe further that it was very misleading:

"i could have included everyone, but i had limited space and i chose to talk about the leaders in 1a and 1aa, not the entire picture of new england football. thanks for your email."

You did, but you also chose to imply that you were painting the entire picture by saying "the standings involving New England schools". One word (plus an article) could have changed that so to say space was an issue is ridiculous. Here's the easy fix...

"Look at the standings involving the TOP New England schools."

To say it was an honest ommission would be generous at best.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
I wholly disagree. Not many people think of Brown, Northeastern, Dartmouth... outside of fans of those teams or fellow conference mates. The article IS misleading.

BTW, I had to e-mail the author, I often do (both to criticize and compliment). His response makes me believe further that it was very misleading:

"i could have included everyone, but i had limited space and i chose to talk about the leaders in 1a and 1aa, not the entire picture of new england football. thanks for your email."

You did, but you also chose to imply that you were painting the entire picture by saying "the standings involving New England schools". One word (plus an article) could have changed that so to say space was an issue is ridiculous. Here's the easy fix...

"Look at the standings involving the TOP New England schools."

IF he were to talk about the "entire picture of new england football", there'd be NO story. Period. xlolx xlolx xlolx

andy7171
November 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Boston wins the second WS in 4 years.
The Patriots are a modern NFL dynasty.
I know, lets claim College Football too.
This article riles up Bostonians and New Englanders into further becoming what most of them despise.
New England Sports fans are becoming the modern Yankee Fan.

UAalum72
November 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Agreed, the article comes in under either
"the truth, nothing but the truth, but not the whole truth" or
"Figures lie and liars figure"

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
IF he were to talk about the "entire picture of new england football", there'd be NO story. Period. xlolx xlolx xlolx
I think the story is actually still there, but he did need to clarify that not every (actually not even half) of the NE college teams are winning their conference.

Pats, BC, UMass, HC, Harvard and Yale leading their respective conferences IS a good story, but don't paint the picture that those are the only teams in NE.

CrusaderBob
November 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
He's not twistintg any facts. He is using some facts. Yes there are more facts - but those facts are not relevant to his arguement. He does not state that every school is excelling at FB this season. Or that NE is the epicenter of all college fotball.

You guys seem to think that is what he is trying to say. Again, from what I'm reading, his thesis is that football is blossoming (coming to life if you will) in NE - particularly against the backdrop of where college FB has been in recent years. Note the quote

the region, which can hardly be called a hub of college football talent or sustained success, has blossomed.

Can any of you deny that football in New England is pretty lively this season as a result of having 7 teams in contention for 5 of the 6 Division I conference titles? Is NE a hot spot - to use the headline writer's word - for college football this season? Yes & Yes.

Does the fact that 6, or 8, or 10 or however many other D-I teams in NE may be mediocre or worse, change the fact that these 7 teams in a 2 hour radius are contending for their conference championship and that 5 teams - 2 BCS, 3 FCS - could playing post season college football? No.

Again. That's all he''s saying this piece, IMO He is not disparaging any other region of the country. It's not that big a deal.

If you guys see it some other way, we'll have to disagree.

andy7171
November 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
He's not twistintg any facts. He is using some facts. Yes there are more facts - but those facts are not relevant to his arguement. He does not state that every school is excelling at FB this season. Or that NE is the epicenter of all college fotball.

You guys seem to think that is what he is trying to say. Again, from what I'm reading, his thesis is that football is blossoming (coming to life if you will) in NE - particularly against the backdrop of where college FB has been in recent years. Note the quote

Can any of you deny that football in New England is pretty lively this season as a result of having 7 teams in contention for 5 of the 6 Division I conference titles? Is NE a hot spot - to use the headline writer's word - for college football this season? Yes & Yes.

Does the fact that 6, or 8, or 10 or however many other D-I teams in NE may be mediocre or worse, change the fact that these 7 teams in a 2 hour radius are contending for their conference championship and that 5 teams - 2 BCS, 3 FCS - could playing post season college football? No.

Again. That's all he''s saying this piece, IMO He is not disparaging any other region of the country. It's not that big a deal.

CrusaderBob are you related to Mark Blaudschum?

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM

I don't disagree with anything you just said, but it doesn't change the fact that to everyone but you, his article is very misleading in that it makes it look like NEW ENGLAND is a collective X-X.

BTW, can you please stop with the bold purple text? It is seriously uncomforable to read. xnodx xpeacex

CrusaderBob
November 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Not Related to Blaudschun. Never even met him.

Won't drop the purple text, but am willing to make it easier to read!

Wasn't aware that everyone had posted an opinion on this yet, but am willing to say that I can see why you might be misled by the article, I just didn't read it that way at all when I read it in the paper this morning, well before it appeard on this board.

Resonable people can disagree.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Won't drop the purple text, but am willing to make it easier to read!
Thank you, that is a little better. I would have had to take some Excedrin if you kept going. xthumbsupx

Old Cage
November 2nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
"Won't drop the purple text"

Then you won't mind if many of us never read any of your posts.

UMass922
November 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
"Won't drop the purple text"

Then you won't mind if many of us never read any of your posts.

Purple's not so bad. As long as, say, andy doesn't start posting in yellow . . .

BisonBacker
November 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM

It's a little know fact that the English snuck over what was the precursor to the trailer house and set it in the southern part of Georgia. That lone Trailer House is the answer to your quetion xlolx xnodx

appstate38
November 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
CHARLESTON PEOPLE ARE AS ASHAMED OF THE APP STATE PEOPLE AND THEIR BREEDING WAYS AS YOU ARE!xnodx

Man CitDog why are you bringing us into it. All that Man love in CHARLES TOWN must have you a bit confused!xoopsx

BTW Breeding Champions sure does suck don't it!

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM

That may be what he's TRYING to say (in your mind) but he does a piss-poor job of PRESENTING that argument. It appears to be a very one-sided, slanted article focusing ONLY on the teams doing well.

blukeys
November 2nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
So the research wasn't complete.xrolleyesx

The fact that any paper in the region acknowledges that it's college football season and not the start of college hockey season is a step in the right direction.xpeacex

Yes, I agree that any article that gets NE fans into the football stands and out of the leaf watching mode is a good thing. But why is this author so dishonest in his attempt to promote NE football?

The great success stories of BC, UCONN, Umass, UNH etc. are certainly worthy of notice and respect. But this author cites certain stats that are the records of the region's most successful teams without mentioning those teams who may not be as successful. The author states that the successful teams are indicative of the region. He chooses Not to credit the individual teams whose success are the real reasons anyone would choose to write about this NE football season.

The author of this piece is guilty of being intellectually dishonest. For every Harvard/Yale win there is a Dartmouth/Brown loss. For every Umass/UNH win there is a Rhode Island/Maine Loss.

This author could have easily made his case without claiming that success is a New England wide phenomenon. He could have just as easily alleged the truth. That is there are a wide range of successful NE football schools who are enjoying great seasons. Why he chose to over blow his case is beyond me other than the obvious fact that he is a homer sports reporter looking to please a leaf watching public.

mainejeff
November 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM

Their sisters.

citdog
November 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Their sisters.

ask your mother frenchy

TheValleyRaider
November 3rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
New England Sports fans are becoming the modern Yankee Fan.

Nah, they're just showing the rest of the country what we New Yorkers already knew... xwhistlex :D :p

mainejeff
November 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
ask your mother frenchy

My mother wouldn't have touched you ugly ****s with a 10 foot poll......

xcoffeex

Maverick
November 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
There is a new "curse" in New England. The Blaudschun curse. When he writes how well New England football is doing it will rival the SI Cover curse in impact. Rereading his article and the subsequent result for New England football is self-explanatory. BC, UMass, UNH all have felt the pain from the curse. The Ivies (probably due to financial considerations) were spared but one of the two will soon feel the pain!! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

TheValleyRaider
November 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM
There is a new "curse" in New England. The Blaudschun curse. When he writes how well New England football is doing it will rival the SI Cover curse in impact. Rereading his article and the subsequent result for New England football is self-explanatory. BC, UMass, UNH all have felt the pain from the curse. The Ivies (probably due to financial considerations) were spared but one of the two will soon feel the pain!! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Given they still have yet to play one another, yeah, I'd say one of them's got a good chance of losing again before the season's out :p

Plus, UMass was beaten by Rhody, who last I checked was still New England xreadx

Cobblestone
November 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Given they still have yet to play one another, yeah, I'd say one of them's got a good chance of losing again before the season's out :p

Plus, UMass was beaten by Rhody, who last I checked was still New England xreadx

Was worth getting soaked for. xthumbsupx

Maverick
November 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM
On the UMass loss, here are some ironies associated with the URI victory. The new URI AD came from UMass. The UMass QB is from Rhode Island. UMass did not score a single offensive or defensive point. 3 safeties ties an NCAA record that UMass set in 2005 against Albany. URI had more yards passing on its first play in OT than UMass did in the entire game.

Still the game was not the level of the URI-Richmond(?) Lake Meade debacle where the benches were floating on the field from a few years ago.

Congrats to URI for hanging tough and finding a way to win!!!

Ram Ball
November 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
URI - Richmond 10/26/2002 (http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102802aaa.html)

Maverick
November 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Ram Ball,
Thanks for the pictures that are worth far more than a thousand words!!!

89Hen
November 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for posting that. I was just thinking about that and had to find this thread.

Of course NOW he'll admit that Northeastern and Rhode Island are in NE. xsmiley_wix

brownbear
November 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I wish Brown had beaten Yale to add to the upsets. If we had played them almost any other week, we would have probably been more competitive.

saint0917
November 7th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I emailed Mark Blaudschun, and this is what he wrote back.

thanks for your email. The point of the column was that New England was
having a good season in terms of having conference leaders. It wasnt
written or meant to be an examination of New England football, whose
overall depth and quality will never match some of the other hot beds of
college football. Have a nice day.

brownbear
November 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I emailed Mark Blaudschun, and this is what he wrote back.

thanks for your email. The point of the column was that New England was
having a good season in terms of having conference leaders. It wasnt
written or meant to be an examination of New England football, whose
overall depth and quality will never match some of the other hot beds of
college football. Have a nice day.

If we're only counting conference leaders, Big Sky conference football is doing great!!