PDA

View Full Version : It finally comes out!!!(link)

catamount man
November 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071101/SPORTS/71101036

How NOT to run a major college football program!!! I've known this for months, but finally, thanks to the ACT, you all can read for yourself and see just how PATHETIC our leadership is.

I feel the entire SoCon fan base should join us loyal Catamounts in DEMANDING a change in leadership, mainly for embarrassing the conference itself. Have fun with this one folks as it is truly sad.

gophoenix
November 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071101/SPORTS/71101036

How NOT to run a major college football program!!! I've known this for months, but finally, thanks to the ACT, you all can read for yourself and see just how PATHETIC our leadership is.

I feel the entire SoCon fan base should join us loyal Catamounts in DEMANDING a change in leadership, mainly for embarrassing the conference itself. Have fun with this one folks as it is truly sad.

Well, I mean, I completely understand your frustration. But this isn't abnormal. This is the exact opposite type of thing that happened at UNC with Carl Torbush.

I know it sucks. But you guys are a few points away from having a different face on your season. Which, believe me, is tons better than being blown out every game.

But the thing is, the fans need to step in and it may take some effort on your part (or someone else who is passionate). If enough of the little guys say they will stop donating, not only to athletics, but to the school itself and if you loyal guys threaten to stop going to the games, they will have no choice but to listen.

If the little guys can make the school hurt more than one big guy, then you can do it.

drpnut
November 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Catamount man

I think there does need to be a change. In the article you metnioned Briggs says he would "be a hypocrite if he resigned."

I think he would be a hypocrite if he didn't resign. He said when he was hired that if he didn't win a SoCon title in 6 years he would resign.

He was bold enough to say it, now he needs to be man enough to do it.

I'm a Wofford guy, I almost committed and went to WCU, but decided to stay in my hometown of Sparkle City. I love the mountains and WCU, except when you play us. But lately I've been more of a basketball fan, especially since you had Kevin Martin. By the way he led Sacramento last night with 26-dude is a stud.

Peace

appfan2008
November 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM
so sorry that this keeps on going for you down their in wcu land... IMO briggs is definately not the right guy and I wish for you guys you would buy him out and get someone in there who can turn it around... but that doesnt seem likely

catamount man
November 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Oh it's getting REAL GOOD on the ACT replies board to this topic. Much more venomous than the replies at the Catamount Pride message board.

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/asheville-citizen-times/TSRAHHN0Q0P4IJ5EI
xmadx xmadx xmadx xeekx xeekx xeekx xmadx

terrierbob
November 1st, 2007, 10:31 PM
I doubt with this type of outcry he'll last long.

woffordgrad94
November 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Remember, though, "it's just football, you nailheads". That post #17 by "clicker" there made me laugh!

WUTNDITWAA
November 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Remember, though, "it's just football, you nailheads". That post #17 by "clicker" there made me laugh!

Yeah, a successful football team has never raised the profile of a university. I can't even think of one instance. xlolx

Western has a lot of house cleaning to do. If I were a WCU supporter, the thought would at least cross my mind of *hoping* for two blowout losses to end the season. I doubt I'd go with it, but it would cross my mind.

catamount man
November 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Yeah, a successful football team has never raised the profile of a university. I can't even think of one instance. xlolx

Western has a lot of house cleaning to do. If I were a WCU supporter, the thought would at least cross my mind of *hoping* for two blowout losses to end the season. I doubt I'd go with it, but it would cross my mind.

Don't think it that it hasn't crossed our minds already. I just get sick at the thought of one lone booster being able to do this. I've met the man personally and I was not impressed. Clearly, this shows what type of chancellor we have.

He was set to get the Marshall job last year when their position became vacant and I heard it was all systems go until he was interviewed by various people within the Herd's athletic dept. so he had no choice to but to remain at WCU.

Lucky us huh?xmadx

GO CATS!!!

OL FU
November 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
No doubt big time donors have a big time say but if it is one donor holding the university hostage then that is ridiculous. Aren't there other major donors that might feel differentlyxeyebrowx

Kill'em
November 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
No doubt big time donors have a big time say but if it is one donor holding the university hostage then that is ridiculous. Aren't there other major donors that might feel differentlyxeyebrowx

This drama has a familiar ring to it. xoopsx

proasu89
November 2nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Don't think it that it hasn't crossed our minds already. I just get sick at the thought of one lone booster being able to do this. I've met the man personally and I was not impressed. Clearly, this shows what type of chancellor we have.

He was set to get the Marshall job last year when their position became vacant and I heard it was all systems go until he was interviewed by various people within the Herd's athletic dept. so he had no choice to but to remain at WCU.

Lucky us huh?xmadx

GO CATS!!!

This situation is f'ed up beyond comprehension. I have no joy in basking in your misery Catamount Man. Things will get better because when something stinks as bad as this IT will get noticed. People who sell out themselves or the organization they are responsible for always get what's coming to them.xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

Kill'em
November 2nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
Yeah, a successful football team has never raised the profile of a university. I can't even think of one instance.

When football restarted at Georgia Southern in 1982, there wasn't even 6,000 students enrolled. Now we are pushing 17,000.

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
I like the fact that Cat fans are so pissed off that they're quoting Chancellor Peacock and threatening to go watch App play instead of WCU! xlolx

Things are dark in the 'Whee indeed.

AppGirl
November 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
When football restarted at Georgia Southern in 1982, there wasn't even 6,000 students enrolled. Now we are pushing 17,000.

I think you missed his sarcastic laugh. App football has done wonders for our school's profile. xnodx

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2007, 08:02 AM

Lucky us huh?xmadx

GO CATS!!!

Seriously, start with Catamount Pride and work from there. If the majority of alumni feel this way, then you guys call everyone you know, try to get the student paper involved, make T-Shirts to wear to games, and spread the word to start making calls to the alumni center, president's office and athletics's director. Threaten to stop donations. Threaten to never make another donation until he is gone.

There were App people who laughed at the number of Elon fans who stopped giving to the school and to athletics because of Al Seagraves and then Paul Hamilton. But it works.

Make the calls, I think you guys can mount the campaign easy and will be successful at it. You have the media on your side. If the school ignores you, go directly to the ACT and talk to them.

"Fire Briggs" T-Shrits would make a bold state though.

Millwoch
November 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM
unfortunately money talks...WCU alums need to band together and fight this, as I know all of your donations are more than $1 Million...anyway that is the only way to fight this....

Kill'em
November 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
I think you missed his sarcastic laugh. App football has done wonders for our school's profile. xnodx

I got it. I just reinforced it.

NashMoc
November 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
It is unbelievable that WCU would give its assistant coaches 3 year deals. I just don't see how WCU would be able to afford to pay the half mil' plus another big chunk of change for a new coaching staff. Just from a financial stand point I think the Cats are stuck with Briggs for a least one more year.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
It is unbelievable that WCU would give its assistant coaches 3 year deals. I just don't see how WCU would be able to afford to pay the half mil' plus another big chunk of change for a new coaching staff. Just from a financial stand point I think the Cats are stuck with Briggs for a least one more year.

I saw that and was surprised by it. I thought assistants usually got one year deals

NashMoc
November 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
I saw that and was surprised by it. I thought assistants usually got one year deals

That is what I thought as well. If they were on one year deals, WCU eats the $220k they owe Briggs and they find a new coach. But the 3 year asst. coach number puts them over 1/2 $ mil. I don't know the numbers but that would probably be close to their annual football budget.

bobbythekidd
November 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
The more I read about mess like this, the more respect I have for guys like Catamount Man and Cobblestone, and OL FU. Much praise for remaining fans when everything is working against you.

Just kidding OL.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
The more I read about mess like this, the more respect I have for guys like Catamount Man and Cobblestone, and OL FU. Much praise for remaining fans when everything is working against you.

Just kidding OL.

You gave me a good example to follow last yearxnodx xsmiley_wix

Kill'em
November 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
You gave me a good example to follow last yearxnodx xsmiley_wix

You're right. We found out who were true fans, last year.

woffordgrad94
November 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
Hey, remember when Florida fans were unhappy with Ron Zook and did fireronzook.com, which was a very cool and catchy website? Maybe WCU fans could start a web site expressing their displeasure in the current state of affairs with their football program. They aren't Florida on the national scene, but the WCU brass would get wind of it, and fans' voices would be loudly heard.

catdaddy2402
November 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
What always kills me is how schools, not just WCU but many more, like to listen to "big money donors" while alienating the "small money donors" who more often than not contribute far more money collectively than the big money folks.

catamount man
November 2nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
What always kills me is how schools, not just WCU but many more, like to listen to "big money donors" while alienating the "small money donors" who more often than not contribute far more money collectively than the big money folks.

And the small money donors are the ones who are going to pull out and not come back if a change isn't made. Those dollars can add up to a big loss quickly.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
And the small money donors are the ones who are going to pull out and not come back if a change isn't made. Those dollars can add up to a big loss quickly.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Fire Briggs T-Shirts.

Nothing gets the statement more attention than a few sections of people where a plain white t-shirt that reads FIRE BRIGGS in BIG letters.