PDA

View Full Version : Those of you lucky enough to still have playoff hopes?

Bulldog87
November 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
For those of you that are lucky enough to still have a shot at the playoffs. Do you think that if you get in that your school has a chance to win it all? Give in percentages your teams chance and why. From a jealous SCSU Bulldog that again has no chancexmadx. Good luck to all. I'll be watching the telecast from afar again.

DaGriz
November 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM
For those of you that are lucky enough to still have a shot at the playoffs. Do you think that if you get in that your school has a chance to win it all? Give in percentages your teams chance and why. From a jealous SCSU Bulldog that again has no chancexmadx. Good luck to all. I'll be watching the telecast from afar again.

If we end up with home field advantage I think we have an 80% chance to win it. If we are on the road throughout then 40%. We have one of the top scoring defenses in the nation, it will come down to how our offense plays in my opinion.

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM
If we end up with home field advantage I think we have an 80% chance to win it. If we are on the road throughout then 40%. We have one of the top scoring defenses in the nation, it will come down to how our offense plays in my opinion.

I'm not going to argue that the Griz would have good odds if they have home field, but 80%?? I don't know that I'd give ANY team 80% to win a game, much less the whole thing.

If the Griz get in the playoffs will you give me 4 to 1 odds on the playoff field versus the Griz? I will put a LOT of money on that one.

lizrdgizrd
November 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
I'd say App has a 1/16 chance to win if we make the playoffs. xwhistlex

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2007, 03:03 PM

Incidentally, because I hate criticism without some opinion. The Dukes chances at getting in are okay, depending on how the rest of the CAA shakes out.

If we get in we probably won't have a seed and our bids in the past have not garnered home games. So, we'd have to be on the road for probably all of the playoffs. We've done it before, but it'll be really tough. I'd say our chances are 5% tops (keep in mind that all things being equal, each team has a 6.25% chance of winning the whole thing).

stevdock
November 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
SCSU I'd say ours is about as good a shot as yours.

AZGrizFan
November 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM

I don't put a lot of stock in the "scoring defense" number, particularly when it's padded with the likes of Ft. Lewis, Albany and SUU. Our defense gives up a LOT of yards. Eventually, that's gonna equate to points. xmadx

They've dodged 3-4 bullets already this season. I'd give them about a 10% chance of winning it all....xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

DaGriz
November 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm not going to argue that the Griz would have good odds if they have home field, but 80%?? I don't know that I'd give ANY team 80% to win a game, much less the whole thing.

If the Griz get in the playoffs will you give me 4 to 1 odds on the playoff field versus the Griz? I will put a LOT of money on that one.

Yeah, you're probably right, that's probably way too high. Making it to Chatt. with home field advantage is one thing, winning it is another. Since'95 we're 16-3 in playoff games at home and 0-3 on the road. We've made it there 5 out of 11 times but only won it twice.

OL FU
November 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
I am posting in this thread:p :p :p :p

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

putter
November 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM
We have no chance to win. We play in the "Big Fluff" conference and have not been prepared to take on the quality teams that the playoffs will present. xbawlingx ;)

appfan2008
November 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
If app makes it in... which it appears they will... I would say there chances of winning it all would be around 10% if we play at home the whole way... and less than 4% if we are on road the whole playoffs... if we have one to two games at home and one to two on the road (which I would expect) our chances are equal 1/16!

Seven Would Be Nice
November 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
I don't know why I am posting in this thread:p :p :p :p

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

There we go. xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
November 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM

I like that math for us, too...xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
November 1st, 2007, 04:00 PM
We have no chance to win. We play in the "Big Fluff" conference and have not been prepared to take on the quality teams that the playoffs will present. xbawlingx ;)

Ah,,,,,,,

Oh, never mind!!!!!!!

appfan2008
November 1st, 2007, 04:17 PM

montana has as good of a chance as anyone... no matter what conference they come from... they are a good football team

AZGrizFan
November 1st, 2007, 04:19 PM
montana has as good of a chance as anyone... no matter what conference they come from... they are a good football team

What....did you just get back from the Stuart Smalley self-affirmation course? xcoolx xeyebrowx ;)

OL FU
November 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM
There we go. xthumbsupx

xmadx Don't change my posts:p

Panther FANatic
November 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
I think with our past experience in the playoffs and the National Championship our chances to win it all are really good!xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM

I like them odds.

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
I think with our past experience in the playoffs and the National Championship our chances to win it all are really good!xthumbsupx

Even though a team bent on revenge and looking for a rematch will be in the field?
:D

JayJ79
November 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM
What....did you just get back from the Stuart Smalley self-affirmation course? xcoolx xeyebrowx ;)

They might be good enough,
They might be smart enough,

But doggone it, most people hate the Grizz!

:p

GaSouthern
November 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM
GSU chance to make the playoffs 40%

GSU chance to win it all 3%

If we beat wofford thoes go to 80% and 10%

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2007, 06:00 PM

No one team will have an 80% chance to win it all upon getting into the playoffs. Even if you guys are the number 1 seed, there are just too many good teams that are going to be in the hunt this year.

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
No one team will have an 80% chance to win it all upon getting into the playoffs. Even if you guys are the number 1 seed, there are just too many good teams that are going to be in the hunt this year.

I agree.

Saluki_man
November 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
My current odds for winning the National Championship:

UNI 4 to 1
UMASS 5 to 1
McNeese 5 to 1
Montana 7 to 1
SIU 9 to 1
Delaware 9 to 1
ASU 10 to 1
Wofford 10 to 1
JMU 15 to 1
Richmond 20 to 1
UNH 20 to 1
Elon 20 to 1
GSU 20 to 1
EWU 25 to 1
Montana St 25 to 1
OVC auto 30 to 1
MEAC auto 35 to 1
Patriot auto 35 to 1

These could change depending on match-ups and injury situations.

These are for entertainment purposes only and should only be taken with a grain of salt.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM

You misunderstood him. He meant 80% of making the playoffs and 10% of winning it all.

UMass922
November 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM
I think we have a chance . . . there are a lot of good teams at the top this year, but no one who looks far and away better than everyone else. There isn't a team this year that I don't think UMass has a decent chance of beating--but at the same time, I think most of the teams that make the playoffs this year will have a decent chance of beating us, too. So I'm not going to go any higher than 10% on us winning it all.

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
My current odds for winning the National Championship:

UNI 4 to 1
UMASS 5 to 1
McNeese 5 to 1
Montana 7 to 1
SIU 9 to 1
Delaware 9 to 1
ASU 10 to 1
Wofford 10 to 1
JMU 15 to 1
Richmond 20 to 1
UNH 20 to 1
Elon 20 to 1
GSU 20 to 1
EWU 25 to 1
Montana St 25 to 1
OVC auto 30 to 1
MEAC auto 35 to 1
Patriot auto 35 to 1

These could change depending on match-ups and injury situations.

These are for entertainment purposes only and should only be taken with a grain of salt.
,,,,,,,,,and a dash of pepper. Considering the UNI-SIU game was lost by six yards, that is quite a differential in odds for them.

UMass922
November 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
You misunderstood him. He meant 80% of making the playoffs and 10% of winning it all.

No, he was referring to the Montana fan who sad that the Griz have an 80% chance of winning it all if they don't have to go on the road.

woffordgrad94
November 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Well, if we don't beat GSU, our chances of winning it all are likely zero, as we won't receive a playoff bid. If we do beat GSU, then (as long as we don't lose to Chatty), we will almost assuredly be in the playoffs, but I don't know if I see us going all the way with our very suspect pass defense. Riddle of Elon absoulutely picked us apart! Other Terrier fans may call me pessimistic, but I'm trying to make an unbiased post here, and that's just, in all reality, the way I see it. Of course, if we get there anything can happen- we might get red-hot, have the ball bounce our way the whole time, and pull it off. But I'd say our chances of winning it all would be less than 10% for sure, and even 5% sounds high... I'd say 3%-4% (or around 30 to 1).

McNeese_beat
November 2nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
,,,,,,,,,and a dash of pepper. Considering the UNI-SIU game was lost by six yards, that is quite a differential in odds for them.

But what a difference those six yards may make! It's the difference between playing in a packed dome in front of 19k friendlies and maybe having to play in the mountains, on a snowy field, in front of 23k not-so-friendlies and against an opponent with an 80 percent chance of beating you xsmiley_wix

Proud Griz Man
November 2nd, 2007, 01:33 AM

Great post lizrd. It captures the essence of the FCS playoffs.

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
But what a difference those six yards may make! It's the difference between playing in a packed dome in front of 19k friendlies and maybe having to play in the mountains, on a snowy field, in front of 23k not-so-friendlies and against an opponent with an 80 percent chance of beating you xsmiley_wix

If its anything like 2001 they wont even have that good of a shot.;)

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Well, if we don't beat GSU, our chances of winning it all are likely zero, as we won't receive a playoff bid. If we do beat GSU, then (as long as we don't lose to Chatty), we will almost assuredly be in the playoffs, but I don't know if I see us going all the way with our very suspect pass defense. Riddle of Elon absoulutely picked us apart! Other Terrier fans may call me pessimistic, but I'm trying to make an unbiased post here, and that's just, in all reality, the way I see it. Of course, if we get there anything can happen- we might get red-hot, have the ball bounce our way the whole time, and pull it off. But I'd say our chances of winning it all would be less than 10% for sure, and even 5% sounds high... I'd say 3%-4% (or around 30 to 1).
I don't see why an 8-3 Wofford is a lock for missing the playoffs. xconfusedx

skinny_uncle
November 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
They just feel history is on their side.
xeyebrowx

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM

Because the NCAA is about money and late season performance. Finish strong? You are more likely. Draw big? You are more likely.

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
They just feel history is on their side.
xeyebrowx
It's like they think the term woofed was made just for them. xrolleyesx

Saluki_man
November 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM

Because home field means allot in the playoffs. Do home teams win all the time? No. But there are some teams that have a huge home field advantage (i.e. Montana, UNI, ASU, Delaware, etc.). Those odds would change depending on if SIU got a seed, but right now there are atleast 10 outstanding teams that are going to make the playoffs and somebody really good is going on the road in the first round (I hope its not SIU).

srgrizizen
November 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I'd give the Griz about a 20% chance of winning it all. I'm not so concerned whether they play at home or away, but rather with whether the opposing team is better or not. I refuse to devalue wins because they come at home. It's the same damn 100 yard field. If UM gets sent on the road, it will be because the other team was seeded higher, i.e. thought to be stronger. So if they lose, it proves only that the seed was correct. By the same token, if UM wins most playoff games at home, it's 98% because they are the better team, period! If you're better than UM, you win, like UMass last year.

woffordgrad94
November 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
It's like they think the term woofed was made just for them. xrolleyesx

No it's not that, it's just that there are oonly 16 playoff slots available, and there's just no way, at least to me, that they will take 4 SoCon teams. That would make a full one-quarter of the field from one conference! (although I did see the Gateway get 4 in back in 2003 if I'm not mistaken). But I just don't see that occuring again this year. Lose to GSU, and I just think that clinches a spot for the Eagles, and Elon and ASU will also get it, with a Wofford team that kind of limped towards the finish line on the outside looking in.

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
No it's not that, it's just that there are oonly 16 playoff slots available, and there's just no way, at least to me, that they will take 4 SoCon teams. That would make a full one-quarter of the field from one conference! (although I did see the Gateway get 4 in back in 2003 if I'm not mistaken). But I just don't see that occuring again this year. Lose to GSU, and I just think that clinches a spot for the Eagles, and Elon and ASU will also get it, with a Wofford team that kind of limped towards the finish line on the outside looking in.

There's no guarantee the SoCon even gets 2 in right now. There are still 3 tough weeks of SoCon games to be played. Elon could lose 2 in a row here. GSU could lose 2 in a row. App could lose to Western.

This conference is nuts right now.

Punchykky
November 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
If NSU wins the MEAC, I don't see us advancing past the first round because we make too many penalties/mental errors. But it would be nice if the MEAC could get 2 teams in the playoffs for a change.xnodx