PDA

View Full Version : WKU Stadium to become 2 sided

wkukid
September 7th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Specific plans for the renovation include:

-Adding 5,000 seats to the south end of the complex, opposite the existing seating.

-The football playing field will be moved west towards the Avenue of Champions. A berm (hill) will be built in the west endzone with seating available for 2,000 to 3,000 fans. There will also be a walkway connecting the two sides of the stadium.

-The football offices, a training room, weight room and locker room will be moved to a three-story complex to be built in the east endzone (closest to University Avenue). The complex had been slated to be built on the practice field south of the stadium.

-The existing seating sections will be waterproofed to prevent leaks in the offices and classrooms beneath the seating.

-The possibility of adding luxury suites and club seating is still being "evaluated," Selig said.

Full Article:

Academic buildings across the Hill have been receiving facelifts for the past few years. Western's one-sided stadium is next in line for restorations.

Smith Stadium will undergo a $33.5 million renovation that is scheduled to be completed by fall 2008. Changes to the 37-year-old football stadium include adding nearly 8,000 seats, building a three-story athletic complex at the end of the stadium and moving the playing field west.

Athletic Director Wood Selig said an architectural firm from Atlanta was hired a month ago to work on the specifics of the project, which will increase the seating capacity from about 17,500 seats to about 25,000.

Western averaged 8,769 fans at its five home games last season.

Selig said he hopes the larger stadium will draw more fans.

Construction on the project could begin as early as spring 2006.

The funding for the project will come from a tuition increase approved by the Board of Regents last year that takes effect in January.

Heery International, the architectural firm, was behind football stadium renovations at schools such as Ohio State University, University of Florida and University of Texas.

Heery was hired by Western two years ago to do a feasibility study on renovating Smith Stadium and produce preliminary drawings, Selig said. The $100,000 study was paid for through private donations.

The firm will be working on the plans and develop a timeline for construction, Selig said.

The track will be relocated to an undetermined location following the spring season before construction on the stadium can begin. Selig said moving the track will cost an additional $1.5 million.

Possible sites for the track and field complex include the old football practice field across University Boulevard and the train tracks and the Intramural Complex on Campbell Lane.

The Department of Physical Education and Recreation also uses classroom and lab space beneath the seating on the north end of the stadium.

Talk of Western possibly pursuing a move from Division 1-AA to 1-A has no connection to the need for a renovated Smith Stadium, President Gary Ransdell said.

"Whatever we do, it will have to be the solution for the next 40 years," Ransdell said.

Football Coach David Elson said the renovation will be a recruiting tool for the program.

"It is immeasurable what it could do for football at Western," he said. "Kids want to know they are in a place where facilities can be provided."

Reach Michael Casagrande at [email protected].

igo4uni
September 7th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Western averaged 8,769 fans at its five home games last season.

Selig said he hopes the larger stadium will draw more fans.

Seems to me that expanding the stadium when it is only half full in the first place is kind of silly.

peace

igo4uni

D1B
September 7th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Seems to me that expanding the stadium when it is only half full in the first place is kind of silly.

peace

igo4uni

Yes indeed. There was scuttlebutt bout WKU joining the MAC. Perhaps this is part of the plan.

Still not a bad idea. They should designate one side for folks without dental coverage and the other side for the opposing teams entourage and visitors with approved dental plans, and jobs.

http://www.scarepros.com/i/accessories/HillbillyTeeth.jpg

JMU2004
September 7th, 2005, 07:03 PM

peace

igo4uni

yup

TxSt02
September 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
yup

Furthermore it was silly to build a one sided stadium to start of with...

EagleCrusade
September 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Huh, thats interesting logic.

If 8,800 fans in a 17,000 seat stadium is empty...
What is 9,000 fans in a 25,000 seat stadium? More empty.

Ronbo
September 7th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Upgrading facilities is probably required to get a MAC invitation.

galojay
September 7th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Yes indeed. There was scuttlebutt bout WKU joining the MAC. Perhaps this is part of the plan.

Still not a bad idea. They should designate one side for folks without dental coverage and the other side for the opposing teams entourage and visitors with approved dental plans, and jobs.

This was in the works before the MAC came up.

ekufbfan
September 7th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I have to say I wish we would update Roy Kidd Stadium, finish the visitors side with something beside the bleachers that are there (but at least we have had a visitors side all these years). You guys definitely need a visitors side. Everyone sitting on the same side of the field is the pits! I have always hated coming to BG for that reason.

My question is, how on earth did you get the students to sit still for the tuition increase that will finance this $35 million renovation. With all the cut backs in Higher Ed funding coming out of Frankfort, you guy really pulled that one off. I never heard a peek from your students (or faculty??) or criticism from the newspapers in Kentucky regarding this. It has been written and your President has been quoted as saying this is being funded by the tuition increase...How did you do that???

wkukid
September 7th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I have to say I wish we would update Roy Kidd Stadium, finish the visitors side with something beside the bleachers that are there (but at least we have had a visitors side all these years). You guys definitely need a visitors side. Everyone sitting on the same side of the field is the pits! I have always hated coming to BG for that reason.

My question is, how on earth did you get the students to sit still for the tuition increase that will finance this $35 million renovation. With all the cut backs in Higher Ed funding coming out of Frankfort, you guy really pulled that one off. I never heard a peek from your students (or faculty??) or criticism from the newspapers in Kentucky regarding this. It has been written and your President has been quoted as saying this is being funded by the tuition increase...How did you do that???

I think your first paragraph answered the question about tution...plus i believe part of the money is from grants. Remember the Speaker of the House represents BG.

ekufbfan
September 7th, 2005, 10:49 PM
The funding for the project will come from a tuition increase approved by the Board of Regents last year that takes effect in January.

Grants? That's not what it says in the article YOU posted. (See above)

I think my first paragraph answered why you need a second side. It certainly did not answer my original question. In my experience, most students are very aware of tuition and complain about any increases, especially one that will fund anything to do with athletics...

Eagle_77
September 8th, 2005, 02:28 PM
This was in the works before the MAC came up.

If this is the case then what was the logic exactly?

youwouldno
September 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
If you build it, they will come. Right? errr

greenG
September 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Upgrading facilities is probably required to get a MAC invitation.

It is. Also, the football programs needs to move up to D-IA. WKU and the MAC have had some conversations about the Hilltoppers moving to the conference. Whether this is the first step in that process or not, remains to be seen.

wkukid
September 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Grants? That's not what it says in the article YOU posted. (See above)

I think my first paragraph answered why you need a second side. It certainly did not answer my original question. In my experience, most students are very aware of tuition and complain about any increases, especially one that will fund anything to do with athletics...

I know what i posted. I've heard that its not all tution spikes. I know that school has been pushing for renovations as it stands now for a few years.