PDA

View Full Version : How good is the SoCon?

SeattleGriz
October 31st, 2007, 03:17 PM
I see a lot of discussion how some feel the SoCon is lights out this year and they are going to get 4 teams in the playoffs.

I personally believe many are using the flawed logic of, "Well App beat Michigan, and Wofford beat App, and Elon beat Wofford" etc.

Essentially I believe many are allowing the Michigan win to "spill over" to the rest of the conference.

Is the SoCon really that strong this year? Thoughts.

PS Don't bother with the, "such and such conference is weak", we are discussing the SoCon. I ask because I dont know.

RE/MAXGriz
October 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Get ready to be bashed with Sagarin and SOS reasonings

CamelCityAppFan
October 31st, 2007, 03:40 PM
OK, why not? I'll bite.

I'm not going to make any claims that conference x is better than conference y, or talk about Sagarin, or whatever.

But this year in the SoCon is a little strange because of how tight things are. First, Appalachian isn't as good this year as they were last year. Lots of factors, but certainly losses on the line to graduation is a factor, as are injuries.

Also, the level of play from teams like Elon and The Citadel is greatly improved. Georgia Southern and Wofford continue to play well; Georgia Southern's Conference losses have been close ones. Furman is (uncharacteristically) struggling, but still a threat to beat any other team in the conference.

Even eternal doormats Western Carolina and UTC have, at times, shown the ability to jump up and bite a conference foe this season.

So you end up with a conference that has no single dominating team this year-- and it's not because they are all bad!

The reason there is buzz about 3 or 4 teams from the SoCon getting in to the playoffs is because it is likely that there will be 3 or 4 teams with playoff-worthy records.

If ASU, Elon, and Wofford all win out (which is a real possibility), all three will finish the season at 9-2.

FCSFAN
October 31st, 2007, 03:40 PM
The Southern Conference is the top ranked league.

Gil Dobie
October 31st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Essentially I believe many are allowing the Michigan win to "spill over" to the rest of the conference.

It's a good conference IMO, but not head over heels better than everyone else, like some believe. Several top FCS teams, like maybe Montana or UNI, could have beaten Michigan, but they played App St. Also IMO, App St hasn't reached the level they were at for the Michigan game. When App St is hitting on all cylinders, they are the best team. When they aren't, hey, any given saturday.

OL FU
October 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Honestly, I think the SoCon is good but the question is whether there are four or five 1 to 15 teams (in the polls) or four or five 10 to 30 ( in the polls) teams. Which means yes the SoCon is strong but are they top tier strong.

There have not been many steller OOC wins except for App state beating Michigan, on the other hand there have not been that many steller OOC opponents except for the ones from the FBS. We did play well in losing efforts against some of those opponents.

The argument for strength is that we have the two time defending national champion however it is different season.

I think you have 4 or 5 top 25 teams. I just don't know yet whether they are in the bottom or top of the 25. Honestly I don't think we will know until the playoffs.

Here's to them being in the topxthumbsupx

Would make me feel alot betterxsmiley_wix

SeattleGriz
October 31st, 2007, 03:46 PM
The Southern Conference is the top ranked league.

How much of that is due to Apps win? That win was huge for skewing the overall strength. Can you imagine the atificially high boost Georgia Southern and Wofford got by beating App?

App won that game, not everyone who plays App close or beat them this year. See my point?

WVAPPmountaineer
October 31st, 2007, 04:34 PM
I see a lot of discussion how some feel the SoCon is lights out this year and they are going to get 4 teams in the playoffs.

I personally believe many are using the flawed logic of, "Well App beat Michigan, and Wofford beat App, and Elon beat Wofford" etc.

OK - here's my opinion - YES it is a very strong year in the SoCon and I believe it can be traced to one item - OFFENSE!!! Before everyone says, "Offense? - that's because no one has any defense!" Not true - Look at these examples of the SoCon leaders - App beats #5 Michigan 34-32 (yeah, I know everyone knows) and puts up 400 yards of OFFENSE - Citadel loses to #7 Wisconsin 45-31 in a game that was 21-21 in the 3rd Q and Citadel put up 400 yds of OFFENSE - Elon lost 28-13 to #2 South Florida in a game that was 7-3 at half and put up 300 yds of OFFENSE - Wofford lost to NC State 38-17 but put up over 350 yards of OFFENSE (more than State managed) while using their back-up QB and Furman rang up about 400 yards of OFFENSE in a loss at #20 Clemson --- All games against quality teams (even NCS is now winning) --- AND looking at the national OFFENSIVE STATS - GA Southern (who plays Colo ST later) is #1 in the country in rushing and Wofford is #2 in the country and APP is #12 - Elon is #2 in the country in passing and in Total Offensive Yardage - Georgia Southern is #6, APP #9, Wofford #12, Citadel #13 and Elon #32 in the nation ---

SeattleGriz
October 31st, 2007, 04:58 PM
OK - here's my opinion - YES it is a very strong year in the SoCon and I believe it can be traced to one item - OFFENSE!!! Before everyone says, "Offense? - that's because no one has any defense!" Not true - Look at these examples of the SoCon leaders - App beats #5 Michigan 34-32 (yeah, I know everyone knows) and puts up 400 yards of OFFENSE - Citadel loses to #7 Wisconsin 45-31 in a game that was 21-21 in the 3rd Q and Citadel put up 400 yds of OFFENSE - Elon lost 28-13 to #2 South Florida in a game that was 7-3 at half and put up 300 yds of OFFENSE - Wofford lost to NC State 38-17 but put up over 350 yards of OFFENSE (more than State managed) while using their back-up QB and Furman rang up about 400 yards of OFFENSE in a loss at #20 Clemson --- All games against quality teams (even NCS is now winning) --- AND looking at the national OFFENSIVE STATS - GA Southern (who plays Colo ST later) is #1 in the country in rushing and Wofford is #2 in the country and APP is #12 - Elon is #2 in the country in passing and in Total Offensive Yardage - Georgia Southern is #6, APP #9, Wofford #12, Citadel #13 and Elon #32 in the nation ---

Good points, thanks for the input.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Out of GSU, App, Wofford, Elon, and The Citadel, The only loses these teams have had (not including other SoCon teams), were to I-A teams. Which means all five have a perfect I-AA OOC record.

Wofford 4-1 7-2
Elon 4-1 6-2
Georgia Southern 3-2 6-2
Citadel 3-2 5-3
Appalachian State 2-2 6-2

Combined OOC record is: 14-3
OOC loses: Wisconsin, South Florida, NC State

That shows me that this conference is VERY strong.

Cincy App
October 31st, 2007, 05:17 PM
Regarding FCS games, Chattanooga even had a respectable 34-15 loss against Arkansas.

jtgriz
October 31st, 2007, 05:17 PM

PS Don't bother with the, "such and such conference is weak", we are discussing the SoCon. I ask because I dont know.

Great question and my answer is yes. About four years ago I moved from Missoula to Atlanta and have paid a lot of attention to SoCon as our kids play sports with some kids who have older siblings playing football in the SoCon. My opinion is this (take for what it's worth - probably a cup of soup) the conference is strong. It's strength is led by incredible athletes and unbelievable speed. There is a tremendously deep talent pool down here to recruit from. I believe there will be a resergence at Georgia Southern and that may slightly weaken Appy State who was collecting some quality recruits because of Southern's setbacks. I will keep posting, but just my initial thoughts!

ASUMountaineer
October 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Out of GSU, App, Wofford, Elon, and The Citadel, The only loses these teams have had (not including other SoCon teams), were to I-A teams. Which means all five have a perfect I-AA OOC record.

Combined OOC record is: 14-3
OOC loses: Wisconsin, South Florida, NC State

That shows me that this conference is VERY strong.

Great stuff--I always knew they learned you guys down in Statesboro. All kidding aside, the reason people are arguing the SoCon is so stong this year is 1) many other conferences have teams running away with the conference championship and 2) this is the first year in the past two that the SoCon hasn't been a one or two team conference. With having 2 teams in the top 10, 3 in the top 15, and 4 in the top 20 with Furman having a down year, it is one of the strongest--and deepest--conferences this year. I won't go as far as saying the strongest, but the SoCon is on a more level playing field this year--with very good teams.

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM
I've always dogged the SoCon about their 'Little Sisters'.. but not this year.. as it looks like they have four or five legit playoff caliber teams.

Hopefully this won't be a one year wonder... ;)

Seven Would Be Nice
October 31st, 2007, 05:44 PM
I've always dogged the SoCon about their 'Little Sisters'.. but not this year.. as it looks like they have four or five legit playoff caliber teams.

Hopefully this won't be a one year wonder... ;)

The scary part (for the rest of FCS) is that Furman, a normal top contender, is having a down year, and GSU is scrapping together a decent season after last years mess. I guess we have seen a rise of the "little sisters" in the conference, as right now with only 3 weeks left, the conference is almost anyones. xrotatehx

boonegoon
October 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM
This is exactly the thing that I have been thinking. I do believe that the SOCON is the deepest conference THIS year. It's not like I'm some foolish SEC fan that thinks that EVERY year my conference is the greatest. I would love to see some true sportsmanship among Conference higher-ups and see something like the ACC-Big Ten challenge in Basketball. How cool would it be to see the SOCON vs Gateway team vs. team.

boonegoon
October 31st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Northern Iowa -APP
Southern Illinois - Wofford
Western Illinois -Elon
Missouri State -GSU
Illinois State -Furman
Youngstown State -Citadel
Indiana State -Chatty/ Western

Just a thought.

whoanellie
October 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
nice points on the SOS and offensive production. but look at how close the scores have become. Last place WCU has been close in several games.
Next 2 weeks will separate the real contenders for this year

JohnStOnge
October 31st, 2007, 06:51 PM
We'll see. On the Sagarin ratings; I think that's a good ratings system. I think the So Con is strong this year.

People criticize the Sagarin ratings a lot. But, as I've said in past years: when the smoke clears and you look at the results, they make pretty much sense in terms of conference strength.

appstate38
October 31st, 2007, 06:53 PM
I have to agree with some of the earlier posts about the offensive production by just about all SoCon teams. I can't remember when just about all offenses were ranking up so many yards and scoring so many points. I would be curious to see by the season's end if some records for scoring aren't broken this year. As far as the SoCon stacks up with the rest of the FCS nation, my heart is always with the SoCon but the only way to prove who is superior is on the field.

BTW- Strong offensive play hasn't been limited to our conference, when I look at some of the other league leaders from other conferences, they are scoring points at a good clip also. The only difference is, I think the defensive play in the Gateway is probably a little better considering some of the low scoring affairs by the top tier teams.

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 10:30 PM
It's a good conference IMO, but not head over heels better than everyone else, like some believe. Several top FCS teams, like maybe Montana or UNI, could have beaten Michigan, but they played App St. Also IMO, App St hasn't reached the level they were at for the Michigan game. When App St is hitting on all cylinders, they are the best team. When they aren't, hey, any given saturday.

Gil, while I appreciate the love, I don't think there was a snowball's chance in HELL that Montana could have beaten Michigan this year. What beat Michigan was speed---pure and simple. THe spread offense and speed. Montana has not nearly enough offense to counteract the points Michigan would have put up. Perhaps they wouldn't have scored 31, but I highly doubt Montana scores 34 against them....

Just my two cents...xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Michigan isn't your 1-win Iowa State, your 1-win Northern Illinois, your 1-win Louisiana Lafayette, or your 1-win Minnesota team. They have only 2 losses and are a probably headed for a second place finish in the big 10. There should be no question that App. State is a good team, and that any team that beats them is also good.

Also, look at how well we have done OOC - there are some good wins and "good losses". Elon was just a few blown plays short of beating South Florida and destroying their chance at a minute of fame at the #2 spot. El Cid came within two touchdowns of beating 5-2 Wisconsin.

eaglesrthe1
October 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM
Gil, while I appreciate the love, I don't think there was a snowball's chance in HELL that Montana could have beaten Michigan this year. What beat Michigan was speed---pure and simple. THe spread offense and speed. Montana has not nearly enough offense to counteract the points Michigan would have put up. Perhaps they wouldn't have scored 31, but I highly doubt Montana scores 34 against them....

I agree on this. ASU flat out beat Michigan on the field. This poster acts like they suck this year. Fact is, they might very well be playing in the Rose Bowl.

On another note, I think that ASU was head and shoulders above the rest of the SoCon, until the injuries set in. Now that has benefited the rest of the conference from the aspect of making them appear more human, but that's something that every team faces.

Overall though, the SoCon is tougher this year than the past few. The ultimate proof will be as always... how the teams prove it in the playoffs.

ElonFirefighter
November 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
1 app beat mich, you tell me that any team can go into the big house and do that ill tell you you went to the wrong address.
2 conf playing field level the bottom dwellers are now on top and in the fight ie Elon,ect
3 top teams undefeated in FCS play
4 history - not a big factor but if your school has a good history puts a little more fight into those close games
5 leading stats Look at elons QB hes in the top 10 passing in 3 or 4 games, app has a great pass D

in this conf no team is a W till the clock reads 0:00:00
look at WCU they put an early scare into many teams and i have a hunch the battle for the jug will be interesting this year.

Livgriz
November 1st, 2007, 01:53 AM
The SOCON is as good as their offenses are. Those offenses are VERY good. FBS or BCS good if you will but, how many SOCON fans or writers are woofing about their defenses? Other than much deserved praise for the manbeast App Lynch (who will play in the NFL) .... crickets. To ressurect that time worn saw I say offenses win games, but defenses win championships. Offenses win battles, defenses win wars. (I could go on if you haven't puked yet but it is true) The SOCON, no matter how many teams the Committee chooses to put in the playoffs, will reckon this when postseason they match up against teams from the CAA, Gateway, or (gasp) Big Sky.

eaglesrthe1
November 1st, 2007, 01:56 AM
The SOCON is as good as their offenses are. Those offenses are VERY good. FBS or BCS good if you will but, how many SOCON fans or writers are woofing about their defenses? Other than much deserved praise for the manbeast App Lynch (who will play in the NFL) .... crickets. To ressurect that time worn saw I say offenses win games, but defenses win championships. Offenses win battles, defenses win wars. (I could go on if you haven't puked yet but it is true) The SOCON, no matter how many teams the Committee chooses to put in the playoffs, will reckon this when postseason they match up against teams from the CAA, Gateway, or (gasp) Big Sky.

Truth is, but GSU has rarely had Great D's. Adequate, but not great. You can win it all without a great D, you just have to have enough.

CID1990
November 1st, 2007, 07:42 AM
This is exactly the thing that I have been thinking. I do believe that the SOCON is the deepest conference THIS year. It's not like I'm some foolish SEC fan that thinks that EVERY year my conference is the greatest. I would love to see some true sportsmanship among Conference higher-ups and see something like the ACC-Big Ten challenge in Basketball. How cool would it be to see the SOCON vs Gateway team vs. team.

I think that we are going to see a strong SoCon for at least the next couple season, also. Elon is definitely going to be competing for the title again next year, as well as ASU. Wofford will be tough again, and The Citadel is going to be better, even with the loss of Duran Lawson and a couple key players on the defense. Pretty much everyone will be reloading.

I guess we'll find out how the SoCon stacks up in about a month when we land at least 3 in the playoffs.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 1st, 2007, 07:50 AM
Michigan isn't your 1-win Iowa State, your 1-win Northern Illinois, your 1-win Louisiana Lafayette, or your 1-win Minnesota team. They have only 2 losses and are a probably headed for a second place finish in the big 10. There should be no question that App. State is a good team, and that any team that beats them is also good.

EXACTLY! and for those who fluff off the APP win over ( a mediocre) Michigan, I have a question for you - Why were they ranked #5 in the preseason? AND, more importantly - If Michigan HAD NOT lost to APP, they would be sitting at 8-1 with their only loss to Top 5 Oregon - They would be a Top 10 team still in the hunt for the National Championship!!!

Kill'em
November 1st, 2007, 08:02 AM
Will the SoCon stay strong? Look at the QB's from a few schools for next year. App St's Edwards will be only a junior. The QB tearing up the nation in passing for Elon is only a freshman who replaced an All-American candidate after he was kicked off the team. At Georgia Southern, the heir-apparent to Jayson Foster could be Billy Lowe, who will be only a sophomore.
Coaching stability will also be a key as I figure Georgia Southern, Elon, The Citadel, and App St will build upon their sucesses. Lamb will be back at Furman and will rebound from this year. I look for Chattanooga and Western Carolina to have new coaches next year.

Gil Dobie
November 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
I agree on this. ASU flat out beat Michigan on the field. This poster acts like they suck this year. Fact is, they might very well be playing in the Rose Bowl.

On another note, I think that ASU was head and shoulders above the rest of the SoCon, until the injuries set in. Now that has benefited the rest of the conference from the aspect of making them appear more human, but that's something that every team faces.

Overall though, the SoCon is tougher this year than the past few. The ultimate proof will be as always... how the teams prove it in the playoffs.

Where do I say Michigan sucks. I watch Big Ten football every weekend along with FCS games. Michigan is a good team and might very well play in the Rose Bowl. I did say App St is not playing as well as they were when they beat Michigan. Edwards had been out for several games, and who knows they might return to greatness by the very next game. You stated the very same idea in your second paragraph. Please read what I type, not what you think I type. xpeacex

WVAPPmountaineer
November 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM
For SeattleGriz - article from today's Winston-Salem (NC) Journal -

More Points: Offenses have been clicking this season, particularly in the Southern Conference By Tommy Bowman JOURNAL REPORTER
Thursday, November 1, 2007

Armanti Edwards of ASU (14) is one of many good quarterbacks in the Southern Conference.

Do you like high-scoring football games?

Check out the Southern Conference this season.

Five SoCon teams rank in the top 15 in scoring offense among the 116 that compete in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision.

Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, The Citadel, Wofford and Elon are all averaging between 35 and 39 points a game. Any of those five averages would have led the league in scoring last season.

“It’s just one of those crazy years, and certainly a fan-friendly year,” Coach Pete Lembo of Elon said.

Wofford has the top scoring defense in the SoCon, despite allowing 25 points a game - a mark that would have ranked sixth in the league last season.

“I think the talent level in this league is phenomenal,” Coach Rodney Allison of Chattanooga said. “The offenses are dynamic. I was going into the year to challenge our defense to be in the low 20s and the best team is giving up 25. It’s gone way up.”

Allison’s Mocs are eighth in league scoring this year, averaging a “paltry” 25 points a game. That figure would have ranked third last season.

SoCon coaches point to a combination of factors that has led to increased scoring, with perhaps the most notable the evolution of the now-common Spread offense. The SoCon is no longer known as a grinding, running league with stingy defenses.

Coach Bobby Lamb of Furman said that it’s a national trend that has “trickled up” from the many summer passing leagues now common at the high-school level. Multi-receiver offenses have become more nimble by spreading opposing defenses.

“You can do a lot of things with it, and really use people’s talents with it,” Coach Jerry Moore of Appalachian said of the Spread.

Lamb said: “Whether you’re a Spread team that passes the ball or a Spread team that runs the ball, it’s effective. A team like Appalachian spreads you out to run, and a team like Elon spreads you out to throw…. The Spread offense has really produced scoring in this league.”

Allison said that nearly every team now operates from the Shotgun, and that two-back sets are becoming rare.

“A high percentage of these offenses are spreading the field and making people defend,” Allison said. “You see a lot of different type screens - it’s a quick game against softer coverage. People are executing this stuff better each and every year…. A lot of teams are successful on third downs, and that goes back to the offense.”

And this season, coaches say, the virtues of SoCon offenses have been enhanced by outstanding quarterbacks.

“I think the key is the quarterbacks are doing a phenomenal job right now,” Coach Kevin Higgins of The Citadel said.

Lamb said: “You can go back to 200, and that was probably one of the lowest-scoring years in the league and about everybody in the league that year had a new quarterback. You look at the quarterbacks in this league this year and it’s unbelievable. You can start from top to bottom, and every one of them has been productive…. There are a lot of duel-threat quarterbacks and a lot of experienced quarterbacks.”

Quarterbacks Armanti Edwards of Appalachian and Jayson Foster of Georgia Southern are explosive players. The Citadel’s Duran Lawson is also a threat to run as well as throw. Scott Riddle, a freshman at Elon, has emerged as the SoCon’s leading passer. And Chattanooga, Furman and Wofford all have senior quarterbacks.

“It seems like week to week in this league you’re playing against a very good quarterback,” Lembo said. “It seems like every week you’re facing a guy that is a threat to scramble or is involved in some designed runs as well as throwing the football.”

Other factors for increased scoring range from more plays per game because of this season’s changes in play-clock rules, as well as offenses starting in better field position than before because kickoffs are now made from the 30-yard line.

“Common sense will tell you, the more opportunities you get with the football in your hands the more chances you have to score points,” Coach Chris Hatcher of Georgia Southern said. Teams in the SoCon are averaging 15 more plays a game than last season.

Teams are starting possessions at the 20-yard line less frequently because fewer kickoffs go deep into the end zone.

“I’m sure that’s a factor,” Allison said. “If you start five or seven or eight yards closer offensively than where you started last year, it adds up.

“It’s a big chunk of the yardage.”

Coach Mike Ayers of Wofford said that three overtime games in the SoCon this season could also have skewed scoring statistics a bit.

And, the fact that 75 percent of the players on the 2006 all-conference defensive team were seniors could be a factor, although Ayers said that defenses aren’t bad this season.

“There are just some great offenses,” he said.

■ Tommy Bowman can be reached at 727-7320 or at [email protected].

Gil Dobie
November 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM

Also, look at how well we have done OOC - there are some good wins and "good losses". Elon was just a few blown plays short of beating South Florida and destroying their chance at a minute of fame at the #2 spot. El Cid came within two touchdowns of beating 5-2 Wisconsin.

Central Michigan is not your 1 loss team either. They are on the way to being MAC champions, and a 7-4 record. Not as big-time as Michigan, but better than Minnesota, Northern Illinois, LA-Laf, Iowa St wins, IMO.

Gil Dobie
November 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM

Didn't say they would, said they could. Any Given Saturday.

appheel
November 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Five SoCon teams rank in the top 15 in scoring offense among the 116 that compete in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision.

Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, The Citadel, Wofford and Elon are all averaging between 35 and 39 points a game. Any of those five averages would have led the league in scoring last season.

“It’s just one of those crazy years, and certainly a fan-friendly year,” Coach Pete Lembo of Elon said.

Wofford has the top scoring defense in the SoCon, despite allowing 25 points a game - a mark that would have ranked sixth in the league last season.

Those are some crazy numbers. It will be interesting to see how the SoCon offenses perform against OOC defenses in the playoffs. And vice versa.

appstate38
November 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM
For SeattleGriz - article from today's Winston-Salem (NC) Journal -

More Points: Offenses have been clicking this season, particularly in the Southern Conference By Tommy Bowman JOURNAL REPORTER
Thursday, November 1, 2007

Armanti Edwards of ASU (14) is one of many good quarterbacks in the Southern Conference.

Do you like high-scoring football games?

Check out the Southern Conference this season.

“I think the talent level in this league is phenomenal,” Coach Rodney Allison of Chattanooga said. “The offenses are dynamic. I was going into the year to challenge our defense to be in the low 20s and the best team is giving up 25. It’s gone way up.”

Allison’s Mocs are eighth in league scoring this year, averaging a “paltry” 25 points a game. That figure would have ranked third last season.

SoCon coaches point to a combination of factors that has led to increased scoring, with perhaps the most notable the evolution of the now-common Spread offense. The SoCon is no longer known as a grinding, running league with stingy defenses.

Coach Bobby Lamb of Furman said that it’s a national trend that has “trickled up” from the many summer passing leagues now common at the high-school level. Multi-receiver offenses have become more nimble by spreading opposing defenses.

“You can do a lot of things with it, and really use people’s talents with it,” Coach Jerry Moore of Appalachian said of the Spread.

Lamb said: “Whether you’re a Spread team that passes the ball or a Spread team that runs the ball, it’s effective. A team like Appalachian spreads you out to run, and a team like Elon spreads you out to throw…. The Spread offense has really produced scoring in this league.”

Allison said that nearly every team now operates from the Shotgun, and that two-back sets are becoming rare.

“A high percentage of these offenses are spreading the field and making people defend,” Allison said. “You see a lot of different type screens - it’s a quick game against softer coverage. People are executing this stuff better each and every year…. A lot of teams are successful on third downs, and that goes back to the offense.”

And this season, coaches say, the virtues of SoCon offenses have been enhanced by outstanding quarterbacks.

“I think the key is the quarterbacks are doing a phenomenal job right now,” Coach Kevin Higgins of The Citadel said.

Lamb said: “You can go back to 200, and that was probably one of the lowest-scoring years in the league and about everybody in the league that year had a new quarterback. You look at the quarterbacks in this league this year and it’s unbelievable. You can start from top to bottom, and every one of them has been productive…. There are a lot of duel-threat quarterbacks and a lot of experienced quarterbacks.”

Quarterbacks Armanti Edwards of Appalachian and Jayson Foster of Georgia Southern are explosive players. The Citadel’s Duran Lawson is also a threat to run as well as throw. Scott Riddle, a freshman at Elon, has emerged as the SoCon’s leading passer. And Chattanooga, Furman and Wofford all have senior quarterbacks.

“It seems like week to week in this league you’re playing against a very good quarterback,” Lembo said. “It seems like every week you’re facing a guy that is a threat to scramble or is involved in some designed runs as well as throwing the football.”

Other factors for increased scoring range from more plays per game because of this season’s changes in play-clock rules, as well as offenses starting in better field position than before because kickoffs are now made from the 30-yard line.

“Common sense will tell you, the more opportunities you get with the football in your hands the more chances you have to score points,” Coach Chris Hatcher of Georgia Southern said. Teams in the SoCon are averaging 15 more plays a game than last season.

Teams are starting possessions at the 20-yard line less frequently because fewer kickoffs go deep into the end zone.

“I’m sure that’s a factor,” Allison said. “If you start five or seven or eight yards closer offensively than where you started last year, it adds up.

“It’s a big chunk of the yardage.”

Coach Mike Ayers of Wofford said that three overtime games in the SoCon this season could also have skewed scoring statistics a bit.

And, the fact that 75 percent of the players on the 2006 all-conference defensive team were seniors could be a factor, although Ayers said that defenses aren’t bad this season.

“There are just some great offenses,” he said.

■ Tommy Bowman can be reached at 727-7320 or at [email protected].

Dang man you stole my thunder.... there is a similar article in the Charleston paper as well.http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/oct/31/the_defense_rests_its_case_southern_conf20615/

Black Saturday
November 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM

I totally agree, it may be the playoffs (if we make it) before we are hitting on all cylinders again. Got to get some injuries well.

GreatAppSt
November 1st, 2007, 01:38 PM
Those are some crazy numbers. It will be interesting to see how the SoCon offenses perform against OOC defenses in the playoffs. And vice versa.

You might not get a chance except first round games if the commitee lumps all the SoCon in on bracket same goes for the Gateway and CAA. I hate brackets that have conference mates as possible opponents in second round games.xnonono2x If I had my rathers Id like to see the highest ranked and second highest team of a conference always in separate brackets. More entrants from the conf. could go to either side but should only have a possible conference rematch if both made the semi'sxtwocentsx xthumbsupx

citdog
November 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
WE ARE THE BEST. PLAIN AND SIMPLE

eaglesrthe1
November 1st, 2007, 04:00 PM
Where do I say Michigan sucks. I watch Big Ten football every weekend along with FCS games. Michigan is a good team and might very well play in the Rose Bowl. I did say App St is not playing as well as they were when they beat Michigan. Edwards had been out for several games, and who knows they might return to greatness by the very next game. You stated the very same idea in your second paragraph. Please read what I type, not what you think I type. xpeacex

It's an exaggeration. You know like where you said that UNI or Montana could have beaten Michigan, an exaggeration. Apps current injury problems don't have anything to do with that assertion. If you want to be taken serious, then get serious.

Of course App isn't playing as good as at the beginning of the year. Nobody is saying that GSU or Wofford could have beaten Michigan. People that follow the SoCon are talking up the strength of the conference based upon on the field results, and the various rankings. You know, tangible stuff.

I did read what you typed, try it yourself.xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
November 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
WE ARE THE BEST. PLAIN AND SIMPLE
I find it difficult to disagree with you on this one citdog, so I won't! xnodx

LarryBoy
November 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
People have been talking about the offenses a lot, and I agree that that is essentially the reason for the SoCon explosion this year. I don't know if anyone else has brought this up already, but the nature of the conference's offenses has changed drastically in the last 5-10 years. 5-10 years ago, if you looked at the majority of the top teams, you were looking at Power/Option football. You were looking at Louis Ivory at Furman and Adrian Peterson at GSU putting up record-breaking numbers. You were looking at Wofford leading the nation in rushing every single year. All of the SoCon defenses were built around stopping this (especially in Furman's case) because there wasn't much reason to protect against the pass. Sure, UTC would do it, and score 30-40 points a game, but they couldn't do squat to keep you from scoring 50-60. So it wasn't much of a concern.

It's completely different now. We could perhaps say that it started with Jerry Moore bringing the spread to App, but that may be overstating their influence. The triple option will (finally, despite BVG's best efforts to kill it last year) likely leave GSU with Jayson Foster's departure. Wofford now is capable of putting up 100-200 passing yards a game; in the past, 80 yards was considered "focusing more on the air attack" the next day in the papers.

Furman has gone back to the option more this year, but that has only been in order to play to Gray's and Felton's strengths. With both of them gone next year, there will be a shakeup in the offense again since QB-in-waiting Jordan Sorrells is a gunslinger, and not moving anywhere quickly. We don't have a big bruising fullback waiting in the wings, and much of our offensive strength will be focused on speedy receivers and speedy (and undersized) tailbacks. Sounds like the makings of a spread to me. Unfortunately, such adjustments may delay Furman's return to glory.

The interesting thing to see will be what happens once defenses catch up to this aerial barrage. Within a few years, when those wide open receivers aren't so wide open anymore, we'll probably see a return to smashmouth SoCon football.

seantaylor
November 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM
People have been talking about the offenses a lot, and I agree that that is essentially the reason for the SoCon explosion this year. I don't know if anyone else has brought this up already, but the nature of the conference's offenses has changed drastically in the last 5-10 years. 5-10 years ago, if you looked at the majority of the top teams, you were looking at Power/Option football. You were looking at Louis Ivory at Furman and Adrian Peterson at GSU putting up record-breaking numbers. You were looking at Wofford leading the nation in rushing every single year. All of the SoCon defenses were built around stopping this (especially in Furman's case) because there wasn't much reason to protect against the pass. Sure, UTC would do it, and score 30-40 points a game, but they couldn't do squat to keep you from scoring 50-60. So it wasn't much of a concern.

It's completely different now. We could perhaps say that it started with Jerry Moore bringing the spread to App, but that may be overstating their influence. The triple option will (finally, despite BVG's best efforts to kill it last year) likely leave GSU with Jayson Foster's departure. Wofford now is capable of putting up 100-200 passing yards a game; in the past, 80 yards was considered "focusing more on the air attack" the next day in the papers.

Furman has gone back to the option more this year, but that has only been in order to play to Gray's and Felton's strengths. With both of them gone next year, there will be a shakeup in the offense again since QB-in-waiting Jordan Sorrells is a gunslinger, and not moving anywhere quickly. We don't have a big bruising fullback waiting in the wings, and much of our offensive strength will be focused on speedy receivers and speedy (and undersized) tailbacks. Sounds like the makings of a spread to me. Unfortunately, such adjustments may delay Furman's return to glory.

The interesting thing to see will be what happens once defenses catch up to this aerial barrage. Within a few years, when those wide open receivers aren't so wide open anymore, we'll probably see a return to smashmouth SoCon football.

Wofford leading the nation in rushing every year? Try GSU.

drpnut
November 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hey folks--if you think the SoCon is strong, wait until next year.

App- led by Edwards who will be a junior
Wofford-- got a good group returning
GaSouth-- will be real strong with the Lowe kid
Elon--Riddle kid will be only a Soph.
Furman-- Will rebound, especially if Lamb shakes up the coaches
ElCid-- Higgins has the Corp believing
WCU-has the talent now, will have a coach next year
Chatty--same as WCU

I truly believe we are in for an incredible ride the next few years. Can't wait. But I'm certainly not ready for this year to be over it has been a dandy.

SeattleGriz
November 1st, 2007, 06:10 PM

Good thoughts LarryBoy. Of course I was thinking along the same lines.

So, that then begs the question. Will the SoCon have offensive difficulties playing against defenses that have had a few more years to adapt to the open style of play?

App didn't have those problems against Northern Arizona earlier in the year, but as we can see, NAU doesn't appear to have the wins to make the playoffs.

blueballs
November 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
So, that then begs the question. Will the SoCon have offensive difficulties playing against defenses that have had a few more years to adapt to the open style of play?

That's a good question, who knows? With the emphasis on speed and strength on offense, one would think it will eventually find its way to the other side of the ball- just like what happened in the $EC in the 90's when Spurrier forced everybody to change the way they played.

terrierbob
November 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Wofford leading the nation in rushing every year? Try GSU.

Touchyxwhistlex

Kill'em
November 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
That's a good question, who knows? With the emphasis on speed and strength on offense, one would think it will eventually find its way to the other side of the ball- just like what happened in the $EC in the 90's when Spurrier forced everybody to change the way they played.

I think we also had that kind of influence on defense in the SoCon. Teams had to get faster to match the speed we had. The conference has definitely evolved. Darwin's theory proven, once again. xtwocentsx

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM

Curious, what were the offenses run at what schools previously?
Wofford - Wingbone
Elon - Wishbone
GSU - Flexbone
UTC - Spread
The Citadel -
Furman -
App -
ETSU -

What did the others run?

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Hey folks--if you think the SoCon is strong, wait until next year.

App- led by Edwards who will be a junior
Wofford-- got a good group returning
GaSouth-- will be real strong with the Lowe kid
Elon--Riddle kid will be only a Soph.
Furman-- Will rebound, especially if Lamb shakes up the coaches
ElCid-- Higgins has the Corp believing
WCU-has the talent now, will have a coach next year
Chatty--same as WCU

I truly believe we are in for an incredible ride the next few years. Can't wait. But I'm certainly not ready for this year to be over it has been a dandy.

Add Furman to the list of teams spreading the ball out next year. With Felton and Gray graduating, you will see a much different Paladin team next year.

The reins will go to Jordan Sorrell, a pure dropback passer who, I believe, will come in and put up some fantastic numbers. They will also return one of the conference's best receiver RJ Webb, and two speedy running backs.

With Sorrells now, and Cody Worley behind him, the Paladins have at least two more starting quarterbacks in the shotgun passer mold.

citdog
November 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Add Furman to the list of teams spreading the ball out next year. With Felton and Gray graduating, you will see a much different Paladin team next year.

The reins will go to Jordan Sorrell, a pure dropback passer who, I believe, will come in and put up some fantastic numbers. They will also return one of the conference's best receiver RJ Webb, and two speedy running backs.

With Sorrells now, and Cody Worley behind him, the Paladins have at least two more starting quarterbacks in the shotgun passer mold.

54-51 VERMIN SCUM!

OL FU
November 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
54-51 VERMIN SCUM!

Remember that score. you will need it for the next five yearsxrolleyesx :p xwhistlex