PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs - Richmond vs. E. Washington

HofstraFB
October 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
The new SME brackets are out. Both Ray and Ralph seem to be together on the teams with only one difference. Brackets are on the site. (http://www.smebroadcasting.com) Ralph still has 5 CAA teams in while Ray has EWU in. The theory both give is that Ralph thinks that the CAA is far superior than the rest of the FCS, while Ray feels that 5 is to many and that by default the Big Sky will get a second bid.

What are your thoughts. The #5 CAA or the #2 Big Sky? Which team is better, which has proved more, and which should have the spot?

I must say I am starting to lean towards the 5 CAA theory, but I can not see the NCAA allowing 5 from a conference. It just never happened yet.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Shocking that being a Hofstra/CAA homer, you'd lean towards the 5 CAA theory, just as I'm sure it's shocking to you that I, a Griz/BSC homer would lean the OTHER direction. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

I'm sorry, but the 5th best team in the CAA is NOT better than the 2nd place team in the BSC. Hell, the SECOND place team in most conferences isn't better than the second place team in the BSC. :p

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM
So Eastern Washington is better than Richmond, UNH or JMU right now? I STRONGLY disagree. Care to defend?

crunifan
October 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ralph is completely clueless. COMPLETELY.

How does he justify SIU going on the road in round one? They have one loss to number #1 UNI in a game that could not be any closer. Elon a seed over an unbeaten Montana?

The guy has s*** for brains with that kind of thinking.

HofstraFB
October 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I do like Rays breacket set-up better. SIU at home, Montana a seed, etc. I am just not sure about EWU. Forget the CAA. Can EIU, WIU, or Nicholls still be in the running?

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:33 PM
So Eastern Washington is better than Richmond, UNH or JMU right now? I STRONGLY disagree. Care to defend?

My dad can beat up your dad.....care to defend? xthumbsupx xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM
It's clear to me
that the CAA and Socon are going to snatch
up at least 6 At-Large's spots. The Big Sky
is in trouble for a 2nd team. While tradition
is great and all, EWU is the only bubble
team and they have serious work to do to
get in.

Clear to me? WTF does that mean?

And EWU has "serious work to do" and the other non-auto's from the CAA and SoCon do NOT?

This bracket is garbage....

blukeys
October 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Shocking that being a Hofstra/CAA homer, you'd lean towards the 5 CAA theory, just as I'm sure it's shocking to you that I, a Griz/BSC homer would lean the OTHER direction. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

I'm sorry, but the 5th best team in the CAA is NOT better than the 2nd place team in the BSC. Hell, the SECOND place team in most conferences isn't better than the second place team in the BSC. :p

I watched Portland State, the 2nd best team in the Big Fluffy Sky Conference get totally waxed by Delaware in 2000. Leaving that game my only thought was that there were AT LEAST 4 or 5 A-10 teams that were much better than Portland State the 2nd best team from the Big Fluffy Sky Conference.

By the way I think the 2nd place team of the Big Sky is probably better than the 5th best team of the OVC, MEAC, Patriot League and that noted playoff choker Southern Illinois.

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Yes, he's right. EWU is 5-3 and needs to win out to even get in contention. All the CAA teams worth mentioning have just 2 losses, with the exception of 'Nova, who I don't think anyone expects to get in. So yes, EWU has MUCH more work to do than anyone else. I'd be impressed if EWU had the level of quality wins that any of the CAA has, too. UR with a win over JMU, JMU over UNH, UNH over Hofstra, Delaware and Marshall..

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I watched Portland State, the 2nd best team in the Big Fluffy Sky Conference get totally waxed by Delaware in 2000. Leaving that game my only thought was that there were AT LEAST 4 or 5 A-10 teams that were much better than Portland State the 2nd best team from the Big Fluffy Sky Conference.

By the way I think the 2nd place team of the Big Sky is probably better than the 5th best team of the OVC, MEAC, Patriot League and that noted playoff choker Southern Illinois.

You bring up a 7-year old game to make your argument? Come on, Blukeys, you're better than that. What about Montana State last year? Eastern Washington in 2004? NAU in 2003?

Our 2nd place teams are 3-2 since 2000. And usually against a #1 or #2 seed...

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Yes, he's right. EWU is 5-3 and needs to win out to even get in contention. All the CAA teams worth mentioning have just 2 losses, with the exception of 'Nova, who I don't think anyone expects to get in. So yes, EWU has MUCH more work to do than anyone else. I'd be impressed if EWU had the level of quality wins that any of the CAA has, too. UR with a win over JMU, JMU over UNH, UNH over Hofstra, Delaware and Marshall..

I would hardly call those wins "quality".

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 09:48 PM
FBS and a 6-0 Hofstra team at home? They don't look GREAT right now, but they were GREAT when they happened. Marshall hadn't given up and Hofstra hadn't been touched. Any FBS win is quality, unequivocally.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:51 PM
FBS and a 6-0 Hofstra team at home? They don't look GREAT right now, but they were GREAT when they happened. Marshall hadn't given up and Hofstra hadn't been touched. Any FBS win is quality, unequivocally.

Patently UNTRUE. There's been probably only 1-2 FBS wins this year that weren't wholly expected. I have more respect for UNI beating SIU than I do them beating Iowa State. More respect for NDSU beating just about ANYBODY on their schedule than beating Minnesota.

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM
We'll agree to disagree, then. You've yet to point out why a 5-3 EWU team deserves it over any of these three.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
We'll agree to disagree, then. You've yet to point out why a 5-3 EWU team deserves it over any of these three.

THey will when they end up 8-3.

Hofstra loses to AT LEAST U-Mass, and probably one other, 8-3 at best, more likely 7-4.
JMU loses to Delaware and has a grand total of ONE quality win (NH)
Richmond loses to Delaware and probably either W&M or Villanova, finishing @ 7-4 as well.

So, by my calculations, the only one with an outside shot is JMU. And they have a lot of work to do. ;) ;)

Edit: and actually, when UNH loses to UMass, their only quality win will be Delaware....so they may have issues as well.

At this rate, the CAA might only be a 3 bid conference. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;)

kalm
October 30th, 2007, 10:14 PM
It's really hard to seperate Eastern from any of the three. SOS and stats are ballpark w/ Eastern perhaps trailing the other's a little on D ( but I think you folks back East perhaps play a little more of that and a little less O.)

All things being equal and assuming Eastern finishes 8-3, they would finish on a hot-streak winning four in a row, and 5 out of the last 6 with the lone loss being @ BYU. That, combined with a 2nd place finish out of a traditional power conference versus a 5th or 6th place finish out of the CAA (granted it's loaded) would seem to make Eastern the more likely choice.

And, as previously mentioned, EWU and the BSC at-larges have had a recent track record of doing well in the playoffs.

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Hmpphh..so predicting UR to lose a game they'd be favored in? It's possible, but as is, all those 8-3 teams are better than EWU.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hmpphh..so predicting UR to lose a game they'd be favored in? It's possible, but as is, all those 8-3 teams are better than EWU.

based on what, exactly? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Their level of competition? Their quality of wins? EWU does not have a big win on their current schedule, and won't, for the whole season. They are playing against an inferior level of competiton, beyond Montana, to boot. I believe EWU gets in as an 8-3 team, but it won't be over a 5th CAA.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Their level of competition? Their quality of wins? EWU does not have a big win on their current schedule, and won't, for the whole season. They are playing against an inferior level of competiton, beyond Montana, to boot. I believe EWU gets in as an 8-3 team, but it won't be over a 5th CAA.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

So, when EWU is in, and the CAA only has 4 teams, then who was it that got in instead of the 5th CAA? :D

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Well, I am a firm believer that if there are 5 teams in the CAA at 8-3 or above, they will all go to the playoffs. As a result, I don't believe anyone will get in over them. That said, I think EWU will take the spot of GSU, who I expect will not make it to 8 wins.

kalm
October 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM

But again, every CAA team benefits from at least one and, often times, two games against a mid major/partial or non-scholarship school. We just don't have that opportunity out west. So put that in your biased, geographically challenged pipe and smoke it. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Didn't EWU play a DII? UNH played Iona and Dartmouth, but I would argue it was made up for by their absurd other games (JMU, Richmond, Hofstra, UMass, UD are all in the top 25 + Marshall)...

WrenFGun
October 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Also, while EWU may not have the opportunity to play such teams, I don't think you can discredit the team that played the tougher schedule and performed as well, particularly if the rules say they will not discriminate by conference.

DTSpider
October 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Still way too much football left to be played. There are too many good teams at the bottom of the CAA. W&M, Towson, Nova, etc. can change the playoff picture in a hurry. Personally, I just hope UR can get to 8-3 to be able to have the discussion.

Blazerbird
October 30th, 2007, 10:42 PM
The Eagles are still a young team in many respects. They looked slow and clueless in the Portland State game. They looked great in the Montana game. In my opinion, they're still one year away from realizing their full potential, and a playoff game this year would be very unexpected. However, they have plenty of talent and from here on out could give any team all it could handle. I don't feel a comparison between the CAA and Big Sky is helpful. The variety of venues and opponents plays a major role in the outcome of many Big Sky games. One week you may be playing on rock-hard turf in Portland, the next in a blizzard on a torn up field in Bozeman, not to mention a mile up in Flagstaff. Travel too is a major drain. If the Eagles do run the table, they'll have 2 league losses by a combined 8 points, and a bad loss to BYU. I'd consider that good coming off a 3-8 season last year.

blukeys
October 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
You bring up a 7-year old game to make your argument? Come on, Blukeys, you're better than that. What about Montana State last year? Eastern Washington in 2004? NAU in 2003?

Our 2nd place teams are 3-2 since 2000. And usually against a #1 or #2 seed...

I never thought you would ask. But first tell me how your #2 has done against CAA competition since this is what we are comparing. Big Fluffy sky vs the premier most competive conference in FCS the CAA. I don't care about beating SIU since that is a given whenever they come to Newark.

Now Let's talk about this year the CAA and the Big Fluffy Sky Confernece in 2007 since this is the year we are talking about.

The Big fluffy Sky conference is a woeful 9-16 vs. OOC competition. For a conference that considers themselves elite and worthy of more than one team in the playoffs this is embarassing.

On the other hand the CAA is 24-14 against OOC competition. Of course my Big Fluffy Sky friends would object. After all there are d-2 and FBS games to consider. (PSU should not penalize a whole conference!!!) Well one should definitely consider this. In fact I would go so far as to say that the only true measure of a conference's worth is the OOC record agaainst FCS competition only.

So here goes:

Big Sky vs. D2 5-1
CAA vs. D2 1-0

Sad to day that the Big Sky loses a game to D-2 teams but at least it pads their OOC scheule!!!xsmiley_wix

Big Sky vs. FBS 0-7
CAA vs. FBS 2-7

Yes there are FCS teams that can beat FBS teams they just are not available in the Big Sky.

Big Sky Vs. FCS OOC 4-8
CAA VS. FCS OOC 21-6

So while the Big Sky is winning at a woeful 33%, the CAA is more than doubling this rate at 77%. Apples to apples the CAA is more than twice as good as the Big Sky. The CAA's winning percentage is better than the Big Sky in all of the categories of OOC competition. In my view this makes any 8-3 CAA team better than any 8-3 Big sky team whether they are in first or last place of the best conference in FCS.

charliej
October 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
All this gets me thinking. IF Nova were to win out,(not saying they will),they will have played 5 ranked teams,(3 from the top ten), and FBS Maryland. The 3 losses would be a 17 point loss to Maryland, a 4OT loss to #4 UMass,and a drubbing by JMU. Depending on what else happens in the CAA,this might NOT be enough to get Cats in.xeekx

Now IF they were the 5th CAA team,who would you put in over them from other 8-3 teams?

Again,this is all "what if", I'm just curious.

kalm
October 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
With the exceptions of the Griz and Cal Poly, every BSC and GWC have played either a FBS team or a couple of away games versus quality FCS opponents (e.g. PSU @ Mcneese and SDSU). In most instances they played both a FBS and the difficult away game.

We schedule DII's out of neccessity. How many out of conference road games does the CAA have against quality FCS opponents? If you use the argument that you don't have to because of the quality of your conference, fine. Then just leave out the smack about inferior opponents, and you won't look quite so much like a homer.

kalm
October 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I never thought you would ask. But first tell me how your #2 has done against CAA competition since this is what we are comparing. Big Fluffy sky vs the premier most competive conference in FCS the CAA. I don't care about beating SIU since that is a given whenever they come to Newark.

Now Let's talk about this year the CAA and the Big Fluffy Sky Confernece in 2007 since this is the year we are talking about.

The Big fluffy Sky conference is a woeful 9-16 vs. OOC competition. For a conference that considers themselves elite and worthy of more than one team in the playoffs this is embarassing.

On the other hand the CAA is 24-14 against OOC competition. Of course my Big Fluffy Sky friends would object. After all there are d-2 and FBS games to consider. (PSU should not penalize a whole conference!!!) Well one should definitely consider this. In fact I would go so far as to say that the only true measure of a conference's worth is the OOC record agaainst FCS competition only.

So here goes:

Big Sky vs. D2 5-1
CAA vs. D2 1-0

Sad to day that the Big Sky loses a game to D-2 teams but at least it pads their OOC scheule!!!xsmiley_wix

Big Sky vs. FBS 0-7
CAA vs. FBS 2-7

Yes there are FCS teams that can beat FBS teams they just are not available in the Big Sky.

Big Sky Vs. FCS OOC 4-8
CAA VS. FCS OOC 21-6

So while the Big Sky is winning at a woeful 33%, the CAA is more than doubling this rate at 77%. Apples to apples the CAA is more than twice as good as the Big Sky. The CAA's winning percentage is better than the Big Sky in all of the categories of OOC competition. In my view this makes any 8-3 CAA team better than any 8-3 Big sky team whether they are in first or last place of the best conference in FCS.

DII's are our Stonybrooks. What is the CAA's OOC record against full scholarship FCS? I'm sure it's still better, and the CAA is a better conference, just not quite to the level you seem to think. But go ahead continue with your rant. xthumbsupx

aust42
October 30th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I agree with Ray when he noted the committee will most likely take a 2nd bubble team from a power conference than a bubble 5th team from the CAA. Whether or not a 5th CAA team "deserves it", I think the committee will feel 4/8 at large spots from one conference is too much. The Big Fluffy Sky (just kidding Big Sky fans, see blueys post) would scream East Coast bias!

kalm
October 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
If you are going to knock SBU, at least spell them right.

Stony Brook - It's two words. And not to be bias, but SBU is a better win than Dixie State and Fort Lewis. SBU just beat Bryant 30-0, they didnt lose to Chaldron St.

You're right, that was arrogant of me. I apologize.

And congrats for not losing to Chaldron St. xthumbsupx

HofstraFB
October 30th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't call Stony Brook a bad team. THey already have a win over a CAA school and after seeing them, along with a few other CAA teams live, I would say SBU is better than URI, TOW, maybe NE, and they beat Maine.

McNeese_beat
October 30th, 2007, 11:44 PM
No apology needed. Just letting you know who to fear in 5 years.

No disrespect, but I don't think Stony Brook (or Stonybrook) wants any part of Chadron State (at least spell the school's name right! xsmiley_wix ). If you don't think Division IIs from that part of the country can give even quality FCS teams fits, you haven't paid attention to how easily NDSU and SDSU have made the transition to D-I football.

I would like Chadron State's chances against a lot of FCS teams head to head. They beat Montana State last year and Montana State beat the hell out of Furman in the playoffs. And Furman is from one of the "power" conferences everybody is assuming is going to get a boat load of teams into the playoffs.

McNeese_beat
October 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM
If you are going to knock SBU, at least spell them right.

Stony Brook - It's two words. And not to be bias, but SBU is a better win than Dixie State and Fort Lewis. SBU just beat Bryant 30-0, they didnt lose to Chaldron St.

No disrespect, but I don't think Stony Brook (or Stonybrook) wants any part of Chadron State (at least spell the school's name right! xsmiley_wix ). If you don't think Division IIs from that part of the country can give even quality FCS teams fits, you haven't paid attention to how easily NDSU and SDSU have made the transition to D-I football.

I would like Chadron State's chances against a lot of FCS teams head to head. They beat Montana State last year and Montana State beat the hell out of Furman in the playoffs. And Furman is from one of the "power" conferences everybody is assuming is going to get a boat load of teams into the playoffs.

And I'll add this: I would say that the Big Sky's OOC FCS opponents have been tougher than the Colonial's. The Colonial uses the SEC argument: they don't need to schedule tough because the conference schedule is tough enough. Fair enough, but just as Auburn was left out in the cold by the BCS a couple of years back when it was undefeated but had no quality wins outside of SEC play, CAA teams that have no quality wins outside of conference should not be surprised if they get the same treatment.

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2007, 12:05 AM

Hofstra loses to AT LEAST U-Mass, and probably one other, 8-3 at best, more likely 7-4.
Richmond loses to Delaware and probably either W&M or Villanova, finishing @ 7-4 as well.

So, by my calculations, the only one with an outside shot is JMU. And they have a lot of work to do. ;) ;)

Edit: and actually, when UNH loses to UMass, their only quality win will be Delaware....so they may have issues as well.

At this rate, the CAA might only be a 3 bid conference. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;)

I think the CAA is more likely to get three teams than five (my guess is four, but that is not a given). I also think an 8 - 3 EWU gets in ahead of a 5th CAA team (keep in mind that a 5th CAA team would be 8 - 3 at best).

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 12:08 AM
Ok, so whats with Ralph? He lists EWU in last 3 out and others considered; He is still considering Nicholls St but not WIU; He has SIU as the last team in; He not only has 5 CAA in but 2 more in the last 3 out. I may be a CAA homer but 7 out of 19 is a bit extreme. It looks like he rushed through this bracket and overemphasized statistics as usual. But he does seem to take the "if the season ended now" more to heart than others (including myself) do.

I still think UNH, JMU, & UR are basically equal (or would be at 8-3) and an 8-3 EWU & WIU would be as well. But it is more like comparing 3rd Gateway, 3rd CAA, and 2nd BSC.

Now when the committee gets down to it, I agree they will try to avoid the 4th CAA at-large if there is another alternative that is reasonably comparable. But that still leaves the question of who is the 5th CAA?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2007, 12:09 AM
My my, how quickly this turned into an East Coast homer thread! Enough of the talk, let the games speak for themselves... there's still three weeks of football! (Well, two for us; no offense to Northern Colorado and great job of dispatching a crappily playing MSU, but we're going to rock this homecoming matchup!)

Blazerbird
October 31st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Is this year's premiere win for a CAA team Delaware's 7 point win at Navy? The CAA's 12 teams only played 8 OOC games against FBS opponents. Every Big Sky team except Montana played an FBS team this year. So what exactly are the credentials that get a fifth CAA team into the playoffs over an 8-3 Eastern Washington team, and why is the CAA such an amazing conference if 5 of its 12 teams have two wins or fewer? I really do want to know.

aust42
October 31st, 2007, 08:27 AM
Is this year's premiere win for a CAA team Delaware's 7 point win at Navy? The CAA's 12 teams only played 8 OOC games against FBS opponents. Every Big Sky team except Montana played an FBS team this year. So what exactly are the credentials that get a fifth CAA team into the playoffs over an 8-3 Eastern Washington team, and why is the CAA such an amazing conference if 5 of its 12 teams have two wins or fewer? I really do want to know.

Do your research before posting. Only Rhode Island and Northeastern have < two wins. Only 3/12 teams have < .500 record and their are 6/12 CAA teams at this point of the season with a chance to make the playoffs.

How does 8/9 Big Sky teams playing an FBS team make it better than 8/12 CAA teams playing an FBS team? The Big Sky teams got slaughtered in those games, at least the CAA won two of their games against FBS opponents.

I'm not here to put the Big Sky conference down, y'all play some good football. The CAA will most likely have a 5th team on the bubble come playoff time which is a clear indication of the strength of our conference. There are plenty of games to play so we'll see what happens by the end of the year.

WrenFGun
October 31st, 2007, 08:33 AM
This is kind of a moot point of EWU doesn't win out, a situation worth exploring, in my opinion. If GSU, EWU and The Citadel all finish at 7-4, and either EIU or Jac St get the last autobid, who's going take it from the 5th CAA team then? Holy Cross or Fordham? (I'm assuming CP loses to NDSU)..

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2007, 08:44 AM

The number is 10, not 8.

CAA teams have played:
Boston College, Marshall, UConn, Northwestern, Army, Navy, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Virginia Tech.

Also, only 3 CAA teams have two wins or fewer.

redspider
October 31st, 2007, 08:45 AM

Wow so I love how you are picking us to win only one of two games we are favorites in we may lose to Delaware but W&M and Villanova I am sure we are gonna win. And until I see otherwise your argumetn is crap and based on bad predictions. Starting to sound liek those persons at the beginning of the year on this board who said for sure Towsons would finish above Richmond in the CAA haha

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 08:46 AM
EWU has not and will not have a win over a Top 25 FCS team.. their best win is Montana St.. who just got whipped by woeful Northern Colorado.

All of the CAA contenders (JMU, Richmond, UNH) for a spot over EWU will have wins not only over Top 25 teams but also a win(s) over a playoff caliber team(s).

FCS coaches poll:

#8 - UNH
#11 - Richmond
#12 - JMU

not ranked - EWU

AGS poll:

#7 - UNH
#11 - JMU
#12 - Richmond
#25 - EWU

another basis for comparision:

the current GPI:

JMU - #13.. 11.38

Richmond - #9.. 9.88

UNH - #8.. 8.88

EWU - #32.. 28.75

another basis for comparision..the 'Sagarin Rankings'..

Conference:

Big Sky - 43.88
CAA - 59.22

a 15.34 margin

Teams:

EWU - 52.56
strength of schedule - 50.38

JMU - 64.74
strength of schedule - 52.67

UNH - 65.04
strength of schedule - 55.20

Richmond - 66.50
strength of schedule - 53.20

it seems pretty clear that by EVERY measurable standard EWU falls short.. far short... ;)

Houndawg
October 31st, 2007, 09:12 AM
SIU last in if the season ended today? Dude is off his meds.

kalm
October 31st, 2007, 09:50 AM
EWU has not and will not have a win over a Top 25 FCS team.. their best win is Montana St.. who just got whipped by woeful Northern Colorado.

All of the CAA contenders (JMU, Richmond, UNH) for a spot over EWU will have wins not only over Top 25 teams but also a win(s) over a playoff caliber team(s).

FCS coaches poll:

#8 - UNH
#11 - Richmond
#12 - JMU

not ranked - EWU

AGS poll:

#7 - UNH
#11 - JMU
#12 - Richmond
#25 - EWU

the current GPI:

JMU - #13.. 11.38

Richmond - #9.. 9.88

UNH - #8.. 8.88

EWU - #32.. 28.75

Conference:

Big Sky - 43.88
CAA - 59.22

a 15.34 margin

Teams:

EWU - 52.56

JMU - 64.74

UNH - 65.04

Richmond - 66.50

it seems pretty clear that by EVERY measurable standard EWU falls short.. far short... ;)

MSU and Davis were ranked when we played them, but by the end of the season Montana will more than likely be the only ranked team we will have played. That certainly supports the SOS argument and the difference in strength between the two conferences. But you can't blame us for weak OOC scheduling with BYU and Davis.

Still, I'm guessing over 80% of the voters in both polls cited live east of the mississippi, so western teams are always going to underappreciated. The Big Sky is a power conference, and it's historical success in the playoffs supports that notion and warrants an at large bid over the 4th,5-th, or 6th place finisher in the CAA.

Every year in recent memory, a good AFC team gets left out of the NFL playoffs. Every year, there is much debate about who gets left out of the BCS championship game. The top 6 teams in the NBA are in the Western Conference. Should the NFL and NBA disregard their weaker conferences?

If Eastern wins out, a couple of solid CAA teams will get left out this year as well, and rightfully so.

kalm
October 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM
"it seems pretty clear that by EVERY measurable standard EWU falls short.. far short..."

But it's good to see that hyperbole is alive and well back east.

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2007, 10:01 AM
"it seems pretty clear that by EVERY measurable standard EWU falls short.. far short..."

But it's good to see that hyperbole is alive and well back east.

Always has been.xsmiley_wix

grizbeer
October 31st, 2007, 10:13 AM

Whipped? Really CM? I think you are kidding but I'm not sure anymore. But if CAA fans really think UNC whipped MSU then I can fully understand why you would believe that the 5th best team in the CAA would be more deserving than EWU - either delusional or woefully uniformed. if you were kidding please carry on with the MSU smack.

grizbeer
October 31st, 2007, 10:15 AM
BTW I suspect that if Montana gets a seed EWU does not get in the playoffs - and if EWU gets in the playoffs Montana does not get a seed - I suspect that EWU will be in and Montana doesn't get a seed. I am usually wrong, though.

WrenFGun
October 31st, 2007, 10:16 AM
I believe that EWU should get in the tournament at 8-3. I think most people do. My point of contention is simply that EWU is not more deserving than any of the 5 CAA teams listed. The argument I'm getting in return is either East Coast BIAS or just completely ignoring the numbers.

That is all.

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 10:17 AM
MSU and Davis were ranked when we played them, but by the end of the season Montana will more than likely be the only ranked team we will have played. That certainly supports the SOS argument and the difference in strength between the two conferences. But you can't blame us for weak OOC scheduling with BYU and Davis.

Still, I'm guessing over 80% of the voters in both polls cited live east of the mississippi, so western teams are always going to underappreciated. The Big Sky is a power conference, and it's historical success in the playoffs supports that notion and warrants an at large bid over the 4th,5-th, or 6th place finisher in the CAA.

Every year in recent memory, a good AFC team gets left out of the NFL playoffs. Every year, there is much debate about who gets left out of the BCS championship game. The top 6 teams in the NBA are in the Western Conference. Should the NFL and NBA disregard their weaker conferences?

If Eastern wins out, a couple of solid CAA teams will get left out this year as well, and rightfully so.

I'm not sure it should be looked at by conference affiliation. I think when it gets down to the last 1 or 2 at-large bids there will be about 6 or so teams that all have a legitimate claim to be the best team left. An 8-3 EWU would be one of those teams as would most any 8-3 CAA team. There are only a few possible 8-3 teams that would have a fatal flaw in their resume to cause them to be left out. But if the commitee doesn't see 1 team as clearly superior, I think they will look at where a team finished in their conference as a factor. Whether is should be or not.

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Whipped? Really CM? I think you are kidding but I'm not sure anymore. But if CAA fans really think UNC whipped MSU then I can fully understand why you would believe that the 5th best team in the CAA would be more deserving than EWU - either delusional or woefully uniformed. if you were kidding please carry on with the MSU smack.

whipped??? OK too harsh.. how about just BEAT... regardless a rose is a rose... and a stinker is a STINKER.... :p

ps.. still waiting for some evidence as to why #2 (EWU) in the Big Sky is a better and a more deserving choice than the #5 (JMU, UNH, Richmond) in the CAA. But then again.. I'm still waiting for someone in the Big Sky.. other than Montana.. to get past the 2d round of the playoffs... :D

grizbeer
October 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
I believe that EWU should get in the tournament at 8-3. I think most people do. My point of contention is simply that EWU is not more deserving than any of the 5 CAA teams listed. The argument I'm getting in return is either East Coast BIAS or just completely ignoring the numbers.

That is all.
I think most people would agree that EWU is not more deserving, but also they are not less deserving. To say they are less deserving is where the ECB comes in.

Really if any team in an autobid conference is on the bubble and doesn't get in it is silly to blame the NCAA or bias of any type - look back at what happened to your season and fix those problems. If EWU doesn't get in at 8-3 they need to look at their loss to PSU on a last second interception in the endzone, or leaving a Montana wide receiver wide open on 4th and long with time running out, or scheduling NAIA UM-Western or BYU instead of a lower level FCS team - if any of those don't happen they would be in no questions asked. Last year if Portland State schedules a lower level FCS team instead of Cal and Oregon (in addition to New Mexico) they are in, instead of sitting home.

I'm sure the same type of situations are true for any of the CAA teams on the bubble.

JohnStOnge
October 31st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Pretty good bit of football yet to play. If Western Illinois wins its last two games all of a sudden it'll look like 2 at large bids for the Gateway. You'll have an 8-3 team with the three losses being to UNI, NDSU, and Illinois and some quality wins. They do that and they're in.

kalm
October 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Pretty good bit of football yet to play. If Western Illinois wins its last two games all of a sudden it'll look like 2 at large bids for the Gateway. You'll have an 8-3 team with the three losses being to UNI, NDSU, and Illinois and some quality wins. They do that and they're in.

Tough to argue with that, and I would place both them and Eastern above 8-3 4th place CAA team.

kalm
October 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM
But then again.. I'm still waiting for someone in the Big Sky.. other than Montana.. to get past the 2d round of the playoffs... :D

It's been awhile, but EWU loss to Youngstown St. in the semi's in 1997.

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
Tough to argue with that, and I would place both them and Eastern above 8-3 4th place CAA team.
Maybe, but the 4th place CAA team might be 9 - 2, and I think 9 - 2 in the CAA gets you in over 8 - 3 Gateway or Big Sky.
Western Illinois at 8 - 3 may get the bid over 8 - 3 EWU.

Still lots of football to play.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM

But they have to get wins over both SIU and YSU. That doesn't seem likely.

Also, I'm kind of surprised at how many people are picking GSU to get an AL (not just people like Ralph, but a lot of AGS'ers). We have to win 2 of the next 3 or we won't have 7 DI wins. I'd say we have about a 50-50 chance of doing that. Non-GSU people seem to have more confidence in our team than a lot of our fans do.

WMTribe90
October 31st, 2007, 12:13 PM

FCS coaches poll:

#8 - UNH
#11 - Richmond
#12 - JMU

not ranked - EWU

AGS poll:

#7 - UNH
#11 - JMU
#12 - Richmond
#25 - EWU

the current GPI:

JMU - #13.. 11.38

Richmond - #9.. 9.88

UNH - #8.. 8.88

EWU - #32.. 28.75

Conference:

Big Sky - 43.88
CAA - 59.22

a 15.34 margin

Teams:

EWU - 52.56

JMU - 64.74

UNH - 65.04

Richmond - 66.50

Pretty indisputable evidence there. Any of the 8-3 CAA squads will have a better resume than an 8-3 EWU. If the committee objectively performs its job and selects the 8 best at-large candidate regardless of conference affliation than its pretty clear based on the above that an 8-3 (UR, Hofstra, JMU or UNH) is more deserving than an 8-3 EWU based on SOS, quality wins, and relative conference strength.

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Pretty indisputable evidence there. Any of the 8-3 CAA squads will have a better resume than an 8-3 EWU. If the committee objectively performs its job and selects the 8 best at-large candidate regardless of conference affliation than its pretty clear based on the above that an 8-3 (UR, Hofstra, JMU or UNH) is more deserving than an 8-3 EWU based on SOS, quality wins, and relative conference strength.

Nope.. it will be based solely on east coast bias... :p

mlbowl
October 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM

The Sack-a-*****-n ranking....indisputable evidence...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 01:05 PM
The Sack-a-*****-n ranking....indisputable evidence

you can lead a Griz to water.. but you can't make him drink... :p

mlbowl
October 31st, 2007, 01:08 PM
you can lead a Griz to water.. but you can't make him drink... :p

You sir....are correct!xlolx

RE/MAXGriz
October 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM

16-13 loss in a super sloppy game isn't exactly what I'd call getting whipped. Embarassed, yes, but not whipped.

kalm
October 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM
you can lead a Griz to water.. but you can't make him drink... koolaid:pxthumbsupx

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM
xthumbsupx

I put some 'facts' out there to support my opinion.. can someone.. ANYONE from Big Sky country post some 'facts' to support their position??? So far all I've heard is any #2 in the Big Sky should get a bid over any #5 in the CAA. Sorry.. but that is hardly a convincing argument.

I'll be waiting.... ;)

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 01:24 PM
you can lead a Griz to water.. but you can't make him think... :p

xthumbsupx :p

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM
you can lead a Griz to water.. but you can't make him think...

xlmaox :D xlmaox

mlbowl
October 31st, 2007, 01:33 PM
xthumbsupx :p

That wasn't very nice!:p

kalm
October 31st, 2007, 01:43 PM
I put some 'facts' out there to support my opinion.. can someone.. ANYONE from Big Sky country post some 'facts' to support their position??? So far all I've heard is any #2 in the Big Sky should get a bid over any #5 in the CAA. Sorry.. but that is hardly a convincing argument.

I'll be waiting.... ;)

FACT: How many 5th place teams from the CAA have made it out of the
1st round. xthumbsupx

I've accepted the validity of most of your facts. What do you want, a biscuit?

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM
FACT: How many 5th place teams from the CAA have made it out of the
1st round. xthumbsupx

I've accepted the validity of most of your facts. What do you want, a biscuit?

We haven't had five yet.. but in '04 all four made it out of the 1st round.. :D

also the 5th team from the CAA would not really be a 5th place team.. in reality they would most likely be tied for 3rd at the worst.

ps... I'd like a little jam on that biscuit please...

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM
That wasn't very nice!:p

There was a post with polls, computer models, & statistics and you only seemed to see the one you didn't like (not that I'm sold on Sag either). All of them show EWU behind but what I wonder is ...is the difference enough to be significant? I'm just not sure...

Just thought my comment would bring you back on point, xpeacex

PS I think it is from a song somewhere...

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 02:39 PM
We haven't had five yet.. but in '04 all four made it out of the 1st round.. :D

also the 5th team from the CAA would not really be a 5th place team.. in reality they would most likely be tied for 3rd at the worst.

ps... I'd like a little jam on that biscuit please...

What so you're stealing my material now? Actually I'm just glad someone's reading it!xthumbsupx

kalm
October 31st, 2007, 02:45 PM
There was a post with polls, computer models, & statistics and you only seemed to see the one you didn't like (not that I'm sold on Sag either). All of them show EWU behind but what I wonder is ...is the difference enough to be significant? I'm just not sure...

A reasonable CAA fan, who unbecoming. xthumbsupx

mlbowl
October 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM

I happen to think EWU is a very good team...that is based on my OPINION only! I have no idea if they are better than UR. I can tell you this....ANY computer model that places Yale ahead of McNeese, UNH, JMU, Georgia So., Montana, Hofstra and YSU is Ccccccccccccrrrrrrrrraaaaazzzzzyyyyyy! Did I mention, I LOVE the Sack-a-crap-r-in rankingxpeacex

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 03:01 PM
I happen to think EWU is a very good team...that is based on my OPINION only! I have no idea if they are better than UR. I can tell you this....ANY computer model that places Yale ahead of McNeese, UNH, JMU, Georgia So., Montana, Hofstra and YSU is Ccccccccccccrrrrrrrrraaaaazzzzzyyyyyy! Did I mention, I LOVE the Sack-a-crap-r-in rankingxpeacex

Yale is better than you think.. definately better than Hofstra

WMTribe90
October 31st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Perhaps indisputable was too strong. Of course there is no indisputable way to compare two teams that do not play each other during the season. I chose "indisputable" because every tool (rankings, polls, etc.) available to the selection committee strongly suggests an 8-3 UR is more deserving tan an 8-3 EWU. Imperfect they may be, but polls and rankings (man-made and computer-generated) are still the best indicators available.

Grizalltheway
October 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM

Better than McNeese and Montana? xsmhx

mlbowl
October 31st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Perhaps indisputable was too strong. Of course there is no indisputable way to compare two teams that do not play each other during the season. I chose "indisputable" because every tool (rankings, polls, etc.) available to the selection committee strongly suggests an 8-3 UR is more deserving tan an 8-3 EWU. Imperfect they may be, but polls and rankings (man-made and computer-generated) are still the best indicators available.

CM did lay some indisputable info out there...All my sarcasm was directed solely towards the Sagarin...xpeacex

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 03:36 PM
A reasonable CAA fan, who unbecoming. xthumbsupx

Hey, when you've waited over 50 years for 3 winning seasons in a row (the school not me, I've only waited 1/2 that time), you don't take anything for granted. So it gets hard to have "unreasonable" expectations. I have a hard time not saying things like I see them instead of "campaigning" to get what I want. xlolx

URMite
October 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM

I liked it back when there was nothing else, but now not so much. I just don't obsess on it like you do:p or like some people do on the GPI.

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Didn't EWU play a DII? UNH played Iona and Dartmouth, but I would argue it was made up for by their absurd other games (JMU, Richmond, Hofstra, UMass, UD are all in the top 25 + Marshall)...

Dude, JMU, Richmond and UD we'll give you, but you GOTTA stop throwin' Marshall into that mix....they flat-out SUCK!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM

So here goes:

Big Sky vs. D2 5-1
CAA vs. D2 1-0

Big Sky vs. FBS 0-7
CAA vs. FBS 2-7

Big Sky Vs. FCS OOC 4-8
CAA VS. FCS OOC 21-6

Nice argument, right up until THAT gem. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Cincy App
October 31st, 2007, 04:36 PM
A second place team out of the Big Sky would get in the field over a 5th team from the CAA or a 4th team from the SoCon - as long as they finish 8-3. If either EWU or MSU wins out, they will be a lock. At such point, it's not completely about which team is better. It would be about balance of the field.

I'm virtually certain that a second team has always come from the 5 primary conferences (Big Sky, SoCon, CAA, Gateway, and Southland) when that conference has had a second team with 8 wins. Remember Wofford and NW State.

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't call Stony Brook a bad team. THey already have a win over a CAA school and after seeing them, along with a few other CAA teams live, I would say SBU is better than URI, TOW, maybe NE, and they beat Maine.

Agreed. I watched them play on CSTV (can't remember against who) and was fairly impressed with them. xnodx xnodx xnodx

bostonspider
October 31st, 2007, 04:43 PM
Well then AZGrizFan, if you are fairly impressed with SBU, and Richmond beat them 42-0, then should you not also be quite impressed with UR???

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 04:50 PM
Big Sky vs. FBS 0-7
CAA vs. FBS 2-7

Pulling out a bunch of non-related statistics against non-related teams does nothing to further your argument.

And, to be technically correct,I have the Big Sky @ 0-9 against FBS (Arizona, Texas A & M, BYU, Boise State, Oregon State, San Diego State, Hawaii, Fresno State, New Mexico) and CAA @ 2-8 (wins over Navy and Marshall xcoffeex , losses to BC, UConn, Northwestern, Army, UNC, Vanderbilt, Maryland, VaTech)

So, outside of the shootout with Navy, hardly a remarkable difference and in fact, an argument could be made that overall strength of FBS opponents favors the Big Sky (noting of course, BC & UConn's 7-1 status)....point is, bragging about beating Marshall (at least THIS year) really smacks of false bravado....

Really, the BSC had two FBS wins LAST year, and I still think the CAA was a better overall conference....doesn't prove a damned thing.

The argument has never been which is the better conference. I don't think you'd get any argument from a BSC apologist that the CAA is a better conference than the BSC, at this point. My only point is that I don't agree that the FIFTH best team in the CAA is better than the SECOND place team in the Big Sky.

That's all.... xpeacex

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Well then AZGrizFan, if you are fairly impressed with SBU, and Richmond beat them 42-0, then should you not also be quite impressed with UR???

Fairly impressed is a relative thing, spider....is Richmond not a fully scholared team?

I meant fairly impressed for being a partial scholly school. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Wow so I love how you are picking us to win only one of two games we are favorites in we may lose to Delaware but W&M and Villanova I am sure we are gonna win. And until I see otherwise your argumetn is crap and based on bad predictions. Starting to sound liek those persons at the beginning of the year on this board who said for sure Towsons would finish above Richmond in the CAA haha

ca-ca poo-poo.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, junior. Don't come cryin' to me when mine turns out to be frighteningly accurate. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM

That ain't sayin' much. :D xrolleyesx

ChickenMan
October 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
That ain't sayin' much. :D xrolleyesx

how about this.. Yale is probably 'better' than everyone in the Big Sky..

except Montana...... ;)

eagle1
October 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
It is unbelievable that a playoff projection with three weeks left in the regular season could stimulate so much conversation. Simply put, EWU must win out to even be eligible for the playoffs. I admit I don't know anything about Richmond but just because they play in the CAA and they end up with 3 losses doesn't make them any more deserving than any other 8-3 team in any one of the other major conferences. I can guarantee that EWU would score points on the Spiders but the big questions would be which defense would show up for EWU. Like I said, there are three games left and this will sort itself out. I am just taking it one week at a time and the Eagles need to beat Northern Colorado this weekend. Go Eagles!!!

grizzpaw
October 31st, 2007, 05:54 PM
its easy if the CAA top teams had to play each other like EVERY every other conference then how would remain in the top 25? One of those teams would lose more than one game and the CAA would be beat up like the rest of us!

JohnStOnge
October 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM
If Eastern Washington doesn't make the playoffs, the Eagles will have no one to blame but themselves. It all comes down to the Montana game, I think. There is NO WAY you should outgain a team 565 to 289 in total yards and lose. You really, really have to screw up to do that.

I'm not saying that to take a shot at Montana. I'm talking about from Eastern Washington's perspective. And from the perspective of an Eastern Washington coach, player, or fan...that's ridiculous.

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM
its easy if the CAA top teams had to play each other like EVERY every other conference then how would remain in the top 25? One of those teams would lose more than one game and the CAA would be beat up like the rest of us!

xviolinx

Really? Who beat you up? I like Montana but idiotic comments like that make your fan base look bad.
I won't criticize your schedule, but don't cry about how tough you have it.xbawlingx
That is probably the stupidest post I've seen yet.

DTSpider
October 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM

Interesting point, one that I find has almost no merit.

UR has an 8 game conference schedule. Every year UR plays UD, JMU, Towson, W&M & Nova. The other 3 teams are either UNH, URI & Northeastern, or UMass, Hofstra & Maine.

Please explain how UR's conference schedule of UD, JMU, Towson, W&M, Nova, UNH, URI & Northeastern is weaker than other conferences? Last I counted that's 4 teams currently in the top 25 on UR's schedule, or 5 of the 9 teams if you include UR. How many other conferences currently have 5 of 9 ranked?

SeattleGriz
October 31st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Two or three of the rants on the show were pretty good. Each made good points, but for some reason the CAA fans were more un-courteous.

East Coast Bias, that's why!! :D

grizzpaw
October 31st, 2007, 09:32 PM
show me where i said that the CAA was weak!xnonono2x i have NEVER said that -learn to READ xreadx !!! i have NEVER said any of that crap. but it is so simple that u east coast people CAN'T understand or just DON'T want to! the whole FCS should just let EVERY CAA team in give them ALL home games and let them invite whatever teams they want and call it a NATIONAL PLAYOFFxbowx . I'M TO THE POINT i can't wait until the playoff start and the great and all powerful CAA get their ASSES kicked in by the other teams in the playoffxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx . NOW YOU CAN SAY I SAID SOMETHING DUMB!xpeacex

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2007, 10:03 PM
show me where i said that the CAA was weak!xnonono2x i have NEVER said that -learn to READ xreadx !!! i have NEVER said any of that crap. but it is so simple that u east coast people CAN'T understand or just DON'T want to! the whole FCS should just let EVERY CAA team in give them ALL home games and let them invite whatever teams they want and call it a NATIONAL PLAYOFFxbowx . I'M TO THE POINT i can't wait until the playoff start and the great and all powerful CAA get their ASSES kicked in by the other teams in the playoffxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx . NOW YOU CAN SAY I SAID SOMETHING DUMB!xpeacex

What other teams, we would just invite ourselves. It would give us an opportunity to play the teams we don't play in the regular season. That way everybody is happy.xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 10:14 PM
If Eastern Washington doesn't make the playoffs, the Eagles will have no one to blame but themselves. It all comes down to the Montana game, I think. There is NO WAY you should outgain a team 565 to 289 in total yards and lose. You really, really have to screw up to do that.

I'm not saying that to take a shot at Montana. I'm talking about from Eastern Washington's perspective. And from the perspective of an Eastern Washington coach, player, or fan...that's ridiculous.

THe scheduling of a D-II and an unwinnable I-A game in the same year has a LOT more to do with EWU's issues if they don't make the playoffs than an expected loss to Montana.

eaglesrthe1
October 31st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Anyone who has to rely on "there's no way a 5th place team in one conference is better than a 2nd place team in another" has already lost.

When the season is done, they will be compared to each other, not compared to the other teams in their conferences. If that's the ammo that you're pulling out, it's because you have no other.

It will be wins and losses, SOS, facilities and money (or cost) for the NCAA.

AZGrizFan
October 31st, 2007, 10:50 PM
Anyone who has to rely on "there's no way a 5th place team in one conference is better than a 2nd place team in another" has already lost.

When the season is done, they will be compared to each other, not compared to the other teams in their conferences. If that's the ammo that you're pulling out, it's because you have no other.

It will be wins and losses, SOS, facilities and money (or cost) for the NCAA.

OK. If EWU goes 8-3 their three losses will be to the conference champion (by 1 point), to their FBS opponent (BYU---certainly no slouch), and one slipup to Portland State. THey will have gone 2-1 against the top three (other) teams in their conference.

If Hofstra (through some miracle) ends up 8-3, they won't have a single "good" win.
If New Hampshire goes 8-3, they will have gone 1-3 against the good teams in their conference.
If JMU loses to Delaware, they will have gone 1-2 against the good FCS teams on their schedule.
And, I'm sorry, but I still think Richmond finishes 7-4.

And you can say I've "lost", but I'll bet you a GSU hat vs a Griz hat that IF EWU goes 8-3, they are in and the CAA only has at MOST 4 entrants.

rancher griz
October 31st, 2007, 10:56 PM
I will occasionally come over here and read what's up, but this is the first time I have posted anything. I am a Griz fan and recently became an alum of the great school.

The Big Sky conference has gone down hill. It used to be a great conference with intense rivalry when we had Boise State, Idaho, and Nevada. We have done a piss poor job filling those spots. Sacramento State has never been competitive and Northern Colorado seems to be following their footsteps.

We really shot ourselves in the foot by not taking in North Dakota State and South Dakota State. Both have been very competitive and maybe most importantly have supportive fan bases with high attendance. People actually watch their games.

I'm also dissapointed in our (Griz) schedule this year. We have no business playing a team such as Fort Lewis. I feel that one of the reasons the Griz sorta struggled earlier this year, was that they haden't challenged themselves.

I do belive the BSC has some good teams in Eastern Washington, NAU, and MSU (even though they lost to UNC). EWU is probably the only team other than the Griz to make the post season. MSU might if they run the table AND beat an undefeated Griz team VERY handily at the end of the year.

I'm going to give props to the CAA, our comish could definetly learn a thing or two from your comish. I'm impressed how your schools are challenging themselves with tough 1A non conf. games. I don't think you are out of line by claiming to be the best conference, but I do feel some of you are being a little smug to the talents of the BSC. Though your conference overall is much stronger, I don't feel that there is much difference between the top teams in our conferences. Our conference has accomplished some impressive things recently. MSU and PSU beat 1A shools last year and we've had strong showings in the playoffs. Overall, though I'm dissapointed in the direction the Big Sky is heading. I would like to see us move to the WAC for that reason.

eaglesrthe1
October 31st, 2007, 11:29 PM
OK. If EWU goes 8-3 their three losses will be to the conference champion (by 1 point), to their FBS opponent (BYU---certainly no slouch), and one slipup to Portland State. THey will have gone 2-1 against the top three (other) teams in their conference.

If Hofstra (through some miracle) ends up 8-3, they won't have a single "good" win.
If New Hampshire goes 8-3, they will have gone 1-3 against the good teams in their conference.
If JMU loses to Delaware, they will have gone 1-2 against the good FCS teams on their schedule.

And you can say I've "lost", but I'll bet you a GSU hat vs a Griz hat that IF EWU goes 8-3, they are in and the CAA only has at MOST 4 entrants.

Suckers bet. If EWU doesn't go 8-3, you're off the hook. If any of those CAA teams falter, who's going to take their place? Five have to make it for me to win.xsmiley_wix

You chose one for me. If they go 8-3 or better, I'll take them against EWU making the playoffs. I could use a Griz hat.

URMite
November 1st, 2007, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't be. SBU had more first downs, more total yards, more passing yards, doubled them in time of possession, was 12 for 24 (UR was 3 for 9) in thrid down conversions. It is odd to see the stats, then see the score.

I think Richmond scored 21 4th qtr points when SBU needed to go for it on 4th downs. Richmond had short fields to work with. At the half it was 14-0 but one score was on a punt return. Your QB was awful as well.

I was impressed with SBU, other than not being able to find a long gain. After the game, I checked your season stats and you seem to be able to consistently get time of possession and a boatload of offensive plays (I think 3 of the 10 games in FCS this year with over 85 plays were yours) And our special teams were definitely playing better than the offense that day. But I looked at that game as 1/2 full instead of 1/2 empty. To be outgained and win 42-0 meant we were taking advantage of opportunities something we haven't always done in past seasons.

URMite
November 1st, 2007, 01:39 AM

I thought we were looking at who makes it at 8-3. Are you saying that if EWU and UR both end up 8-3 that the committee should take EWU because AZGrizfan thinks Richmond finishes 7-4?

If we are both 8-3 then we both have a FBS loss and a slipup, we would have wins over JMU & UNH, they would have wins over MSU & NAU. Or we have a win over UD and a different loss.

You don't see those resumes as similar?

A better question if UNH, JMU, UR, & EWU all are 8-3, what order do you think they get into the playoff field?

URMite
November 1st, 2007, 01:47 AM
OK, most of this thread is becoming too much of a pissing match, so in keeping with the theme...

Big Fluffy = MEAC + Montana

CAA 3rd place is not better than EWU, but EWU isn't better than 8th place CAA either.

You convinced me, if the CAA played 11 Conf games and 3 OOC games we would have fewer teams with 3 or less losses.

SO THERE! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p xlolx

already123
November 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Lets see EWU make the playoffs before we start talking all hypothetically

BlueHen86
November 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
But if they are in the playoffs, is it still hypothetical?xeyebrowx

;) xthumbsupx

URMite
November 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM

I can think of a better way for you guys to end all the hypothetically talk about EWU :D

URMite
November 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
But if they are in the playoffs, is it still hypothetical?xeyebrowx

;) xthumbsupx

Geez! Don't go getting all logical on us, or you'll make my head hurt. xlolx
Hypothetical after the factxthumbsupx

ChickenMan
November 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM

You may be right to say that EWU gets in over a 5th CAA team.. but if that happens.. it will be because the NCAA committee decides that it is more important to have 'diversity' rather than 'quality'... ;)

Hofstra76
November 1st, 2007, 01:32 PM
It's week 10 and the CAA now has SEVEN teams ranked in the top 25 in both the Coaches AND Sports Network polls. The argument about which conference is better is not even worth talking about. Any 8-3 team in the CAA playing that level of competition each week is better than the second place team in the Big Sky.

GtFllsGriz
November 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM
I have always felt that the CAA was one of the toughest conferences in the country year in and year out. Heads and shoulders above the Big Fluffy? No way!!!!

There are so many factors that play into EVERY game against EVERY opponent that you can never say that your team or conference is a sure thing over each other. Teams improve and teams go backwards as the season progresses due to injuries and many other factors.
Weaker teams play some teams very tough on any given Saturday. Upsets happen on any given Saturday. Stars surface in a three month time period. What happened two months ago in a game has little bearing on where that team is now as far as ability. Of course we live with the result of the early game but the score is the only thing that is an absolute, win or lose.

I have watched numerous games over the season thanks to my DVR to include NDSU/MN, App/GS, App/Furman, JMU/Rich, NIU/SIU. I can say this based on those games. They are all real good teams but I do not fear any of them. The Griz can play with any of them even though different matchups present different problems.

EWU can play with all of them as well. They are young and a little unpredictable but that even makes them more frightening. They don't know that they are supposed to get beat.

Do I predict that the Griz or the Eagles would beat all of the above mentioned teams, HECK NO! But they will play with all of them and stand an even chance of winning.

Those who buy into the idea that the BSC is weak and therefore can be over looked better be ware.

GannonFan
November 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM
I have always felt that the CAA was one of the toughest conferences in the country year in and year out. Heads and shoulders above the Big Fluffy? No way!!!!

There are so many factors that play into EVERY game against EVERY opponent that you can never say that your team or conference is a sure thing over each other. Teams improve and teams go backwards as the season progresses due to injuries and many other factors.
Weaker teams play some teams very tough on any given Saturday. Upsets happen on any given Saturday. Stars surface in a three month time period. What happened two months ago in a game has little bearing on where that team is now as far as ability. Of course we live with the result of the early game but the score is the only thing that is an absolute, win or lose.

I have watched numerous games over the season thanks to my DVR to include NDSU/MN, App/GS, App/Furman, JMU/Rich, NIU/SIU. I can say this based on those games. They are all real good teams but I do not fear any of them. The Griz can play with any of them even though different matchups present different problems.

EWU can play with all of them as well. They are young and a little unpredictable but that even makes them more frightening. They don't know that they are supposed to get beat.

Do I predict that the Griz or the Eagles would beat all of the above mentioned teams, HECK NO! But they will play with all of them and stand an even chance of winning.

Those who buy into the idea that the BSC is weak and therefore can be over looked better be ware.

It isn't that the Griz can't play with them, people just question whether anyone else in the conference can play with them. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
November 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
You may be right to say that EWU gets in over a 5th CAA team.. but if that happens.. it will be because the NCAA committee decides that it is more important to have 'diversity' rather than 'quality'... ;)

Yep, you'd better start playin' that card early CM. Cuz that'll be ya'll's excuse when it happens... xrolleyesx xcoolx

Boogs
November 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Bet the house on Richmond going all the way. xcoffeex