PDA

View Full Version : App St. at The Citadel thread

ASUG8
October 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Well, it's damned near Wednesday and nobody's started it.
Here's my take - Citadel needs Lawson bad, and our defensive effort has been of the "revolving door" variety most of the season. Armanti and Richardson showed some flashes of what got us our first W of the season at Furman, and our passing game seems somewhat improved (with Armanti only - Elder's never had a problem!). FU, WCU, and WU have all given the dogs close games over the last three weeks. What impact will a Lawson-less team have on El Cid? My prediction:

ASU 34
El Cid 21

Armanti has combined offense of 250 yards, Richardson has 95. Mostly a ground game for ASU (can't speak for Citadel's attack with a new QB, but I'm all ears). Discuss.

ncman071
October 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
just so you understand, Armante is the best QB for ASU. Elder may be a better passer, but Armante can do intangibles that Trey just doesnt do. Armante can get it done in the air and on foot. He' s a great QB. So many people have dogged him since the GSU game. It was his first game back since Wofford and even then, he didn't play the whole game. Trey is a darn good QB who could start for just about anybody in the FCS but we have the right one starting now.

Anyway, App wins 27-21 in a nail biter even without Lawson. Citadel already has 3 losses and they know they need to win this game badly to stay in the hunt for a playoff bid. where we could lose and still go 8-3 and make the playoffs.

appstate38
October 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM
just so you understand, Armante is the best QB for ASU. Elder may be a better passer, but Armante can do intangibles that Trey just doesnt do. Armante can get it done in the air and on foot. He' s a great QB. So many people have dogged him since the GSU game. It was his first game back since Wofford and even then, he didn't play the whole game. Trey is a darn good QB who could start for just about anybody in the FCS but we have the right one starting now.

Anyway, App wins 27-21 in a nail biter even without Lawson. Citadel already has 3 losses and they know they need to win this game badly to stay in the hunt for a playoff bid. where we could lose and still go 8-3 and make the playoffs.

No way the Citadel holds our offense to under 30 points. It hasn't happened all year and I don't expect this one to be any different. The question becomes can the Bulldogs keep up with our offense.

Biff
October 31st, 2007, 07:05 AM
Well, with Lawson out, I can't say we can keep up on offense, but I have a lot of confidence in our backups. BUT, I will make no guarantees.

Our defense held GSU pretty well, just not enough. I think we could hold ASU to under 30, but that will be a hell of a performance especially with 4 of our starters still hurt on the sideline from two or three weeks ago.

Look at the stats ... http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2007/confldrs.htm ... It looks like this may play out for another good game. (We are number one in total Defense)

Either way, its homecoming (my 5th year), expect a large croud.

Eaglesrus
October 31st, 2007, 07:30 AM
No way the Citadel holds our offense to under 30 points. It hasn't happened all year and I don't expect this one to be any different. The question becomes can the Bulldogs keep up with our offense.

Just want to point out that I said the exact same thing about GSU until last week.

citdog
October 31st, 2007, 08:06 AM
We win in a close one 24-21

Mountaineer#96
October 31st, 2007, 08:08 AM
Even with all the injuries........ASU has our share as well, this one is going to be a dogfight. It is homecoming at a military school and unless you have served in the military or been to a military school you don't know what that really means. It really means that this will become a small war. I am sure Citdog will talk about that later in this thread. I expect to see anything to happen. The Bulldogs will likely pull any trick out of the bag so ASU better be ready in all aspects of the game for it.

Bottom Line.....
ASU -35
The Citadel - 33

citdog
October 31st, 2007, 08:14 AM
as we welcome our brothers back to campus and mourn our dead and toast the empty chair our football playing Cadets are reminded that they play for ALL THE CITADEL MEN LIVING AND DEAD! WITH HONOR WE WILL PREVAIL!

BULLDOG8180
October 31st, 2007, 09:30 AM
The Citadel has relied as much on Lawson's legs as they have his arm to lead the Dogs offense. IF Lawson plays, I would expect Cooper to be more involved in the running game, as surely Duran will be limited by his knee.
I really expect Blanchard to start and if he does, App St. will see an air show. Bart has a much stronger and accurate arm than Lawson. With a full week of practice with the first unit, his timing should be fine. The only thing that concerns me about Blanchard is he hasn't had much playing time since his junior year in high school (he is a redshirt freshman).

Biff
October 31st, 2007, 09:32 AM
The Citadel has relied as much on Lawson's legs as they have his arm to lead the Dogs offense. IF Lawson plays, I would expect Cooper to be more involved in the running game, as surely Duran will be limited by his knee.
I really expect Blanchard to start and if he does, App St. will see an air show. Bart has a much stronger and accurate arm than Lawson. With a full week of practice with the first unit, his timing should be fine. The only thing that concerns me about Blanchard is he hasn't had much playing time since his junior year in high school (he is a redshirt freshman).

This may answer most questions about Lawson ...

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1292938

ab4app
October 31st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Thas tough, I hate to see that happen to anybody, Im sure it will still be a great game to watchxnodx

DSUHornet
October 31st, 2007, 12:41 PM
this is going to be a good one. definately one for the audience

RE/MAXGriz
October 31st, 2007, 01:18 PM
24-21 Citadel, TSN puts Dave Coulson on suicide watch.

GreatAppSt
October 31st, 2007, 01:22 PM
I've been worried about the Dog Pound since pre season, I'm still worried.xsmhx App never seems to play well down there. BTW all the games I have gone to Charleston to see 91, 93, (stayed away for 10 years) then 03 resulted in App loses. In other words my azz is stayin home and my wife has placed me on kidnap watch, she doesn't trust CitDog!

ab4app
October 31st, 2007, 01:30 PM
appstate 28 xnodx xnodx xnodx

cit 17

I hope xbawlingx

appstate38
October 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Just want to point out that I said the exact same thing about GSU until last week.

Maybe you guys had a little bit of a let down after the big win in Boone.
Because when you had to, you turned it on, rather late but you still got it done.

Once again, I still don't believe we will be held under 30. But I don't know if we can hold the Dogs under 30 either. Lots of offense again in another great SoCon battle.

lizrdgizrd
October 31st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Without Lawson, I think the score will be 35-24 App. With Lawson the score will be 35-26. With Lawson the pups will get more scoring drives but fewer TDs due to his reduced mobility. xpeacex

Mountaineer#96
October 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM
makes sense..........I can't wait till Saturday in Chucktown!!!

yosef1969
October 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM
This one has me worried, as said earlier in this thread we have a history of playing poorly in Charleston and it is homecoming.

To top it all off I was pondering our defensive woes following the Wofford loss several weeks ago when it occurred to me what the problem is, it's are clear as the nose on your face .....

We have two linebackers with french names (Pierre Banks and Jacque Roman) and we all know how willingly the french surrender territory. With this game being against a military school I'm not sure they'll even take the field!xlolx

ab4app
October 31st, 2007, 02:48 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Everything makes sense nowxnodx

ASUG8
October 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
This may answer most questions about Lawson ...

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1292938

It would be a stupid move to try to start him - I can't believe that they seem to be even calling him questionable for Saturday, two days after surgery. I'd say he's questionable for the following week. Either way, it should be another afternoon of the SoCon beating the crap out of each other. I'm surprised our teams are intact enough to play postseason.

ASUG8
October 31st, 2007, 03:14 PM
This one has me worried, as said earlier in this thread we have a history of playing poorly in Charleston and it is homecoming.

To top it all off I was pondering our defensive woes following the Wofford loss several weeks ago when it occurred to me what the problem is, it's are clear as the nose on your face .....

We have two linebackers with french names (Pierre Banks and Jacque Roman) and we all know how willingly the french surrender territory. With this game being against a military school I'm not sure they'll even take the field!xlolx

I think the French are known to be rifle droppers - maybe they'll drop a few QB's/RB's this week.

james_lawfirm
October 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM
I've been worried about the Dog Pound since pre season, I'm still worried.xsmhx App never seems to play well down there. BTW all the games I have gone to Charleston to see 91, 93, (stayed away for 10 years) then 03 resulted in App loses. In other words my azz is stayin home and my wife has placed me on kidnap watch, she doesn't trust CitDog!

GAS:
I've been worried about this game since the Summer too. Since I've never been to Johnson-Hagood Stadium before, I am really looking forward to it. My wife has persuaded her folks & siblings & their kids to meet us there (there'll be 14 of us tailgating). Now, I am cautiously optimistic about our chances there.

It seems to me that App's defense continues to improve and our O is doing well too. The news about Lawson, while lamentable for them, can only be in our favor.

Bottom line, anything can happen, but I am looking forward to a great game. (If CitDog comes by, I'll offer him a beer.)

ASUMountaineer
October 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM

Good call--I like that. I think our defense is improving. I was impressed with Finnerty's play last week. I think if the defense can play like it did in the first half against Furman and the second half against GSU (in other words, put together a complete game) then it won't be as close as it could be. That is enhanced by Lawson not playing, he has been shredding a lot of defenses. If we can go 2-1 in South Carolina this year, I'll take it.

Final Score:
App State 34
Citadel 21

Bulldog87
October 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM
My Mom is in a hosiptal close to Hagood stadium. If she's still there saturday and all is well I may try to catch some of this one before or after a visit. Thanks in advance for the prayers. Does Homecoming usually sellout at The Citadel?

Millwoch
October 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM
My Mom is in a hosiptal close to Hagood stadium. If she's still there saturday and all is well I may try to catch some of this one before or after a visit. Thanks in advance for the prayers. Does Homecoming usually sellout at The Citadel?

Prayer given and yes there will be a huge crowd in and out of JHS this weekend.

lizrdgizrd
November 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM
xprayx coming your way. For healing and for watching the game! xthumbsupx

Biff
November 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM

It will be packed, but I think they allow people to enter for free after half-time or third quarter. I don't know, I buy season tickets.

CharlestonAppFan
November 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM
I'll be there since of course I live in Charlestown; where is everyone tailgating? I'd love to come by and meet everyone of you guys, yes even you The Citadel guys (including you Citdog).

CharlestonAppFan
November 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM
PS...please PM me and I'll give my cell # so we can meet up.

tralfangar
November 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM
I just found out I can go to this game and I know this has been brought up already (sort of), but I need to ask it again.

I couldn't find any reference on THE citadel's website of this game being sold-out. I assume it's not?

How does the seating work? Is it mainly GA?

Will I more than likely be able to show up at the gate on Saturday and get a ticket? Or should I go ahead and buy it online?

Biff
November 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM
I just found out I can go to this game and I know this has been brought up already (sort of), but I need to ask it again.

I couldn't find any reference on THE citadel's website of this game being sold-out. I assume it's not?

Will I more than likely be able to show up at the gate on Saturday and get a ticket? Or should I go ahead and buy it online?

Just called our ticket office for you. We have about 4500 tickets left. The ticket office at the Stadium opens at 9:00 am Saturday. The ASU game, since it is homecoming, will only sell reserved tickets for $25. Seating will be designated by the ticket you purchase. You just tell them where you want to sit out of the seats left.

Millwoch
November 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM

Call the ticket office right now or go online to the link below(etix)...There will be singles available up to game time but you may not get 3-4 together that late. You can buy them online at Etix...remember the east side is the visitors side and there were seats available in section O where most of the APPY fans will be.

http://www.etix.com/ticket/servlet/onlineSearch?action=displayPerformance&pageNumber=0&pageSize=10&queryString=action%3dvenueSearch%26venue%5fid%3d81

Millwoch
November 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Bring your hat and sunglasses...forecast is sunny and temps in the 70s. should be a gorgeous day in Charleston. expect more fans outside the stadium partying with their repective classes than inside.

By the way, all Bulldog fans are encouraged to meet the team getting off the bus on Haggood Ave about 12:10-12:15. Pass the word as this is a new tradition being started this week. I am sure most of you know this...

tralfangar
November 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
thanks a lot for the quick response!

Bulldog87
November 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the prayers and the info. I hope to be there.

APPride
November 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
I'm thinking any game now we are due for a powerful game from K-Rich...while he has put up some decent #'s so far, it was late in the season last year when he shined with the steady ball control running attack. I hope we can open up some running lanes this weekend.

AppGirl
November 2nd, 2007, 06:00 AM
My entire family (parents, sibs, nieces and nephews in addition to hubby and sons) is heading down for the game. Where can I find a schedule of activities for game-day? I think my 7 year old nephew would be impressed with parade, etc. I've heard such things mentioned here, but can't find out where and when things will be taking place. We are all heading down today, so getting there in time won't be a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Liberty2005
November 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Edwards and Lawson should sit out this game.

citdog
November 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
My entire family (parents, sibs, nieces and nephews in addition to hubby and sons) is heading down for the game. Where can I find a schedule of activities for game-day? I think my 7 year old nephew would be impressed with parade, etc. I've heard such things mentioned here, but can't find out where and when things will be taking place. We are all heading down today, so getting there in time won't be a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

parade is at 1545 today and go to www.citadel.edu for a schedule of Homecoming events.

Millwoch
November 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM

go to [url]www.citadel.edu[url] (link appears to be down right now?), there is a link on the right of the screen that says homecoming with schedule. The things i think you would be interested in are Parade at 11 and the Summerall guards perform sometime before parade (10-10:30) on the parade ground in front of the bleachers. If you get there real early you can go into Open Barracks(9-9:30 time range) and check out the banners the knobs made and cadet rooms(they live at the Ritz compared to us old corp guys with air conditioning and everything) Anyway all that is open to the public so get there early and enjoy...Parade will be over before noon and will give you plenty of tailgate time before the game...Go Dogs.

Millwoch
November 2nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Site is back up and Schedule says Guards march at 8:45...a little early for me to be there from Columbia. Should be a large crowd already forming.

AppGirl
November 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
just visited the site. Thanks for the info, now I've gotta go pack. If you see a blue Expedition with lots of glass chalk, flags and magnets, stop by.
GO APPS!

citdog
November 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
just visited the site. Thanks for the info, now I've gotta go pack. If you see a blue Expedition with lots of glass chalk, flags and magnets, stop by.
GO APPS!

i would love to stop by, but i wouldn't want to break up a happy home!xnodx

AppGirl
November 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
i would love to stop by, but i wouldn't want to break up a happy home!xnodx

Sorry, but you don't stand a chance next to james_lawfirm. xsmiley_wix If I could survive him leaving me at home with 2 boys while he went to law school, then survive him coming back, ain't nothing coming between us. xsmoochx

citdog
November 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Sorry, but you don't stand a chance next to james_lawfirm. xsmiley_wix If I could survive him leaving me at home with 2 boys while he went to law school, then survive him coming back, ain't nothing coming between us. xsmoochx

appgirl you need to prepare yourself for the feeling you are going to get in your "happy Places" by being surrounded by REAL MEN!

your life will NEVER be the same after being in the presence of THE CITADEL MAN!xnodx xthumbsupx xrulesx

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
appgirl you need to prepare yourself for the feeling you are going to get in your "happy Places" by being surrounded by REAL MEN!

your life will NEVER be the same after being in the presence of THE CITADEL MAN!xnodx xthumbsupx xrulesx
But how will she feel when all those "Men" start crying when they lose the game? xlolx

CID1990
November 2nd, 2007, 09:31 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx HAPPY PLACESxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx

CID1990
November 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
But how will she feel when all those "Men" start crying when they lose the game? xlolx

Unlike SOME fans, we don't cry, become overly analytical or make excuses when we lose.

If we lose this weekend, there will be maybe three or four sentences about it by El Cid grads on this board, just like when we lost to GSU. On the other hand, if ASU loses, there will be multiple threads like,

"Is Armanti Really Fully Healed?"

or,

"Should the victory over Michigan count as TWO D-I wins?"

or,

"We actually didn't lose the game, we just scored fewer points over 4 quarters"

or,

"The SoCon refs still suck, if it weren't for that 5 yard offsides penalty, we would have won the game."

PUH-LEEEZE.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Unlike SOME fans, we don't cry, become overly analytical or make excuses when we lose.

If we lose this weekend, there will be maybe three or four sentences about it by El Cid grads on this board, just like when we lost to GSU. On the other hand, if ASU loses, there will be multiple threads like,

or,

or,

or,

"The SoCon refs still suck, if it weren't for that 5 yard offsides penalty, we would have won the game."

PUH-LEEEZE.

I think most ASU fans would agree that the major reason behind both of our losses is plain and simple: the defense just hasn't been getting it done. No excuses... just poor tackling, missed assignments, etc.

lizrdgizrd
November 2nd, 2007, 10:04 AM

or,

or,

or,

PUH-LEEEZE.
Although the only threads opened by the App fans will be about the bad refs. And those will be opened regardless of the outcome! xlolx

Appaholic
November 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM

or,

or,

or,

PUH-LEEEZE.

Or it could be you have used up all excuses after multiple years of futitlity.....xeyebrowx We make excuses for losing because we haven't been experiencing it since 1865 like some schools....

Appaholic
November 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
appgirl you need to prepare yourself for the feeling you are going to get in your "happy Places" by being surrounded by REAL WOMEN!

App Girl,

Unless your a lesbian, I wouldn't take Citdog's warning to heart....xwhistlex

ASUG8
November 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM

or,

or,

or,

PUH-LEEEZE.

Gotta disagree - I think the App folks have been everywhere from the week 1 elation to the deflation of losing 2 games, having our winning streak snapped both overall and at home this season. All this in spite of having a pretty good team. Most of what I've been reading about with regard to losses is self flagellation over poor defensive play and some occasional questionable special teams play. Most of what I've seen has been insightful, meaningful self analysis. If El Cid pulls off the win this week, you won't be hearing any excuses from me.xcoolx

AppChicago
November 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM

That's right. You'll feel that unmistakable feeling that can only be duplicated by wandering into the extras tent on the set of Gettysburg 2: The Reckoning.