PDA

View Full Version : Will Citadel's Lawson Play Saturday?

Go Apps
October 30th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Just curious on the latest?

jbuggASU
October 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM
"If The Citadel is to defeat two-time defending national champion Appalachian State this week, and stay alive in the race for a Southern Conference championship, the Bulldogs almost certainly will have to do it without their starting quarterback, Duran Lawson."

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/oct/30/dogs_qb_lawson_doubtful_app_state20520/

Biff
October 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM
"If The Citadel is to defeat two-time defending national champion Appalachian State this week, and stay alive in the race for a Southern Conference championship, the Bulldogs almost certainly will have to do it without their starting quarterback, Duran Lawson."

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/oct/30/dogs_qb_lawson_doubtful_app_state20520/

Coach Higgins has already annouced Blanchard as our starter. Lawson will probably be under constant review.

GO DOGS!!!

Millwoch
October 30th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Had MRI yesterday...unknown result. Listed as doubtful for Saturday. Let's see what Blanchard can do.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 30th, 2007, 09:24 AM
So if he is questionable for Saturday, does that increase his chances vs. Elon? Thats what we need to know in statesboro!!

Millwoch
October 30th, 2007, 09:25 AM
depends on MRI result...

Millwoch
October 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Blanchard is no scrub. He had a huge junior year in Rock Hill, SC but he tore his ACL his senior season and was taken off most FBS recruiting boards. He showed interest in El Cid and Higgins reviewed his tape and offered him on the spot. He has a strong arm and is more mobile than most think(not as quick as Lawson). He has a very cool head and should not get flustered in the pocket. He has on played in only 2 games this year (Weber Int and GSU(last 2 series)) Tory Cooper and Cody Wilson to get more carries than in games past.

URMite
October 30th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Coach Higgins has already annouced Blanchard as our starter. Lawson will probably be under constant review.

GO DOGS!!!

That certainly changes my slim hope that The Citadel reduces the strength of the SoCon by winning their next two and losing the last one. xlolx

And just for Citdog, Wofford wasn't woofed. No team that loses to VMI should ever make the playoffs. xrulesx

Millwoch
October 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM
The Citadel will not lose to VMI. We may not beat Appy(who should?) or Elon, but VMI is weak. If we lose that one I will be highly disappointed with or without Lawson.

URMite
October 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM
The Citadel will not lose to VMI. We may not beat Appy(who should?) or Elon, but VMI is weak. If we lose that one I will be highly disappointed with or without Lawson.

I know that, but when I was looking at the worst case for the SoCon, The Citadel losing only to VMI was it. Maybe I should have used xsmiley_wix instead xlolx to indicate it was a crazy scenario?

Anyway, Good luck saturday and it's a shame about Lawson.

BestOfBreed
October 30th, 2007, 12:09 PM
That certainly changes my slim hope that The Citadel reduces the strength of the SoCon by winning their next two and losing the last one. xlolx

And just for Citdog, Wofford wasn't woofed. No team that loses to VMI should ever make the playoffs. xrulesx

Same goes for a team that loses to Towson ;)

terrierbob
October 30th, 2007, 12:12 PM

A web of lies!

WUTNDITWAA
October 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
That's a shame. I'm as interested in a break as the next guy, but if my team is going play another, I'd really like for them both to be at full strength.

Black and Gold Express
October 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I will disagree with the last comment. If Lawson being out improves ASU's chances to win, then I wish Lawson a speedy recovery and best of luck the rest of the way, but will in no way wish he was on the field.

It's about wins right now, the more the merrier, and the easier the better. ASU had to be a favorite in this game no matter who was in for The Citadel, but with their lone star player out, The Citadel gets that much weaker.

We win this one and it's almost a sure path to 9-2 with the conference doormats coming to The Rock in the final two weeks to end the season. Just get through this final road test of the regular season victorious and uninjured is all I hope for.

yosef1969
October 30th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Agree with BGE. If Lawson being out improves ASU's chances, then get well soon, Sunday sounds good.

I want wins, easier the better, we've been banged up since the first game of the season (that I no longer mention). We are due a break or two.

URMite
October 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Same goes for a team that loses to Towson ;)

If anything my comment was meant as smack to VMI not Wofford, but... at least Towson was 7-4 recently, how long ago did VMI have 7 wins?

I just have a hard time understanding the 2002 loss. (Although with so many games against them, we've had some strange ones too)

Towson was predicted higher than us but has had some serious injuries. I knew that game would be closer than it should. We have very strange pass coverage against pocket passers. We don't pressure (unless you are mobile) and we use KO intereference rules for the DBs. We make them wait until the ball is caught and then clobber the receiver. xnonono2x So we play our best against Santos, Landers not Shaeffer or Flacco xeekx

But time to stop hijacking this thread...

ASUG8
October 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I will disagree with the last comment. If Lawson being out improves ASU's chances to win, then I wish Lawson a speedy recovery and best of luck the rest of the way, but will in no way wish he was on the field.

It's about wins right now, the more the merrier, and the easier the better. ASU had to be a favorite in this game no matter who was in for The Citadel, but with their lone star player out, The Citadel gets that much weaker.

We win this one and it's almost a sure path to 9-2 with the conference doormats coming to The Rock in the final two weeks to end the season. Just get through this final road test of the regular season victorious and uninjured is all I hope for.

I may have to disagree with you - IF we get the win, we'll have to hear all the "Well, if we'd had Lawson, it would have been a different story". I think we have a strong team, but I'd rather play them with everybody intact. It would make a win that much sweeter.

Secondly, I hardly think WCU and UTC are doormats - UTC put up 28 on Elon, and WU barely walked out of Dullowhee with a win. With our defensive struggles this year, every win is a gift.

Biff
October 30th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Lawson isn't our lone star. We have a couple of great quarterbacks as back ups, and I guess you haven't seen some of our wide outs. You haven't won this thing yet and I don't think this will be an easy game for you either.

AppChicago
October 30th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I may have to disagree with you - IF we get the win, we'll have to hear all the "Well, if we'd had Lawson, it would have been a different story". I think we have a strong team, but I'd rather play them with everybody intact. It would make a win that much sweeter.

Secondly, I hardly think WCU and UTC are doormats - UTC put up 28 on Elon, and WU barely walked out of Dullowhee with a win. With our defensive struggles this year, every win is a gift.

I've been thinking about this, too. I don't want to hear the "Things woulda been different IF"s either, but it reminds me of a Chris Rock bit.

He's talking about Kobe Bryant (back when he was in trouble) and the discussion over whether he should hire Johnny Cochrane (probably butchered the spelling, but those are the breaks). Rock said that folks were saying "If you hire Johnny, you'll look guilty!" "Yeah," said Rock. "But you go home. Would you rather look innocent in jail? I'd rather look guilty at the mall!"

With two losses already, I, too, would rather look guilty at the mall.

CID1990
October 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
If we beat ASU, it won't be because Duran played. Blanchard can fill in just fine for him.

If we win, it will be because our defense shows up and plays like it did last Saturday, minus one big play.

Black and Gold Express
October 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Lawson isn't our lone star. We have a couple of great quarterbacks as back ups, and I guess you haven't seen some of our wide outs. You haven't won this thing yet and I don't think this will be an easy game for you either.

I have watched the Toy Soldiers play twice on TV, against Wisconsin and Wofford. In both games I came away with the same feeling: Lawson has grown drastically as a quarterback, and your offense goes as far as he will take them.

You are in denial if you think any relatively-untested backup will step in and play to the caliber Lawson can. It's not unlike when ASU fans thought Trey Elder would just step right in and pick up for Richie in 2005. Trey accounted himself well, but there was a noticeable difference between the two. Fortunately we had enough talent surrounding Trey to pick up for him. The same cannot be said of The Citadel this year.

The Citadel continues to be the Paper Tiger of the SoCon. They have underperformed greatly compared to expectations. The only thing keeping The Citadel from being the SoCon's biggest bust this year is the purple turd being laid in Greenville this season.

Ya'll are our toughest game remaining, that is for certain. I have no doubt we will get your best efforts in this game. I think it will be a good game. But when all is said and done, we have the better talent, and we have our star player back and playing well. You are missing the heart and soul of your offense. We are not the stout defense this year that we have been the last two seasons, and I am sure you guys will score. But if the weather holds and Noel does not become a factor, you won't put up 35 or more, and you will need to in order to beat us.