ELON-28
FURMAN-31

WKU-21
UTC-3

ASU-30
CID-10 (If Lawson is out)

Mountaineer#96
October 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Game of the week # 2....GSU - 34 WOFFORD - 31.......Is there any doubt that Foster is the SoCon OFF MVP , but Mike Ayers is still the best coach around so this one will be close.

ELON - 41 FURMAN - 40........ this one might go to overtime, but I expect something crazy like a blocked extra point and Elon to slide by.

Upset of the week.....UTC - 23 WKU -17........ I like UTC's chances against a sorta FBS team. I think UTC could pull this one out and add yet another notch SoCon FBS belt.

Game of the week # 1 .....APP STATE - 35 THE CITADEL - 28........There are a great deal of extra things going into this one. Will Lawson start for the Bulldogs? Will App State's defense show up. If Lawson does not start I like our odds. If our defense shows up I like our odds. This is also The Citadel's homecoming so that will play a factor as well. Both these teams need this win. I will be in attendance and so will my knob little brother, so Citdog cool down the beers b/c I'm bringing the meat.......oh wait The Citadel might have all the meat they can already handle.....sorry bad joke.

ButlerGSU
October 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Wofford has too good of an offense, they top the young and banged up Eagles at home 34-24.

Elon beats Furman by 10

WKU beat UTC but it remains to be seen by how much.

Citadel beats App State by a field goal if they get their QB back...

walliver
October 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Wofford 31 - GSU 28 - hopefully the Terriers will be rested and ready to go after a long weekend

Furman 35 - Elon 34 - Elon should win but I am pulling against them every game for the rest of this year

Western Kentucky 35 - Chatty 17

ASU 42- Citadel 28 - I am trying to figure out a way for both teams to lose

Western Carolina 72 - Open date 70 - my upset special:D

OL FU
October 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM
GSU-31
WOFF-42

Wofford has seemed a little off but I don't think the come back by Western is quite as big a deal as some think. GSU has been on a roll and there is no reason to think they are not for real but I think Wofford stands strong at home.

ELON-31
FURMAN-28

I was happy to see FU make the comeback but being down 17 points at the end of the first half just reverses previous trends. I wish it wasn't so but I see the Paladins losing a close one. Besides, Elon passes, enough said.

WKU- wins
UTC- losses

ASU-
CID-

I am going to assume that Lawson, if he plays, will be far from 100% so I will pick ASU. 100% Lawson, I pick the dogs.

The availability of senior quarterback Duran Lawson for the stretch run is in question after Lawson injured the meniscus in his left knee midway through the fourth quarter.

What is a meniscusxconfusedx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2007, 05:39 PM
GSU @ Wofford - I am going with the optimistic, homer pick on this one.
GSU - 34
Wofford - 28

In all seriousness though, I expect a hard-fought game. GSU has a mental factor in wanting to avenge one of the worst home losses (in terms of marigin of victory) from last year and Wofford would like to win to greatly improve their chance of taking the conference. GATA EAGLES!!

Elon @ Furman - hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm.....I don't know if Furman will bounce back and play hard after having their 5th loss. Elon shows up to play, and Furman just sort of shows up.
Elon - 31
Furman - 21

Appalachian State @ The Citadel - I expect App. State to take no prisoners in this game. The Citadel has a decent running game but they can't match up with those of Wofford and GSU's. ASU wins.
Appalachian State - 30
The Citadel - 20

ncman071
October 28th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Wofford beats GSU by 3
Elon wins 28-24 over Furman
ASU needs this one badly and wins 33-20

terrierbob
October 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Wofford has too good of an offense, they top the young and banged up Eagles at home 34-24.

Elon beats Furman by 10

WKU beat UTC but it remains to be seen by how much.

Citadel beats App State by a field goal if they get their QB back...

Who's banged up?

ButlerGSU
October 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Who's banged up?

Every other player, we have running backs playing defense, a freshman QB on the defense, etc... We are hurting pretty badly but somehow finding a way to win games.

RazorEdge19
October 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Razor's SoCon Pick's:

What a week in the SoCon!

Western rushes back against a Wofford team that seems to have their eyes on the horizon.

Chatt takes Elon to within 10.

The Jayson Foster's beat the Citadel.

And Furman falls to App in a hard fought game!

With that said, let's take a look at this week's match-ups:

Georgia Southern @ Wofford

I think the consensus is that this game is the game of the week, and rightfully so. Georgia Southern has pulled themselves up back from the edge they danced upon at the beginning of the season and now have to travel north to continue their run at a playoff berth and maintain their outside chance at winning the SoCon championship.

Meanwhile, Wofford looked like two separate teams playing against the Catamounts on Thursday. The first half they looked dominant (similar to GSU when they played WCU) and in the second half, they looked...well, awful.

Personally, I think the Wofford team we saw in the first half is the Wofford team we can expect to see on Saturday. Though they won the game, Thursday's game seems to have felt like a loss to most of the fan base, and I'm sure the players feel the same. Coming off their two losses, Wofford has beaten Appalachian State, and shut down Western, albeit in the first half only. I expect this senior-laden Wofford team to come out strong again against GSU, especially with having a longer week. The Eagle's Jayson Foster gets slowed down similar to AE did when App played Wofford.

When it comes down to it, this game hinges on each team's respective defense: and I think Wofford's defense is better suited to stop Jayson Foster then vice versa.

Wofford: 34
GSU: 24

Elon @ Furman

For some reason, this game has the feel of a trap game for me. Elon's recent success can be attributed to their successful utilization of Scott Riddle and his wide receivers. However, Furman's biggest defensive weakness is their running defense, and Elon doesn't run the ball.

Couple that with the fact that Elon's front seven has yet to really impress me on runs within the tackle box, and Furman has this guy in the back field named Jerome Felton. He seems to be a forgotten man lately. Look for Furman to put his name back on the front page by feeding the ball to him 15-20 times this game, and keeping the ball away from Scott Riddle.

Furman: 27
Elon: 24

ASU @ El Cid

ASU's defense is still suspect this late in the season, and that is a great concern for the defending champs. If they can't get that figured out soon, they very well could not make the playoffs. Scary thought, the playoffs minus App, but a very real possibility at this point.

Look for Citadel to get the ball out of Duran Lawson's hands and into Cooper's. I think Citadel's offensive line is one of the top's in the conference, and that doesn't bode well for App's front seven.

El Cid: 34
App: 27

CharlestonAppFan
October 28th, 2007, 08:48 PM
What is a meniscusxconfusedx

A meniscus is the cartilage in your knee xthumbsupx I tore mine in high school (left knee) and had to have surgery; Lawson can still play but the swelling will most likely affect him as well as the slight nuisance pain and soreness.

I just tore mine again this summer, but am chosing not to have surgery at this time, but it's a b!tch after playing softball. I'm not 20 years old anymore either though (31 years)xnonono2x . He'll probably be fine but he won't be able to run at full strength the rest of the season though.

My predictions are coming later this week.... hope this helps OL

ErksEagles
October 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM
GSU-34
WOFF-31

FURMAN-31
ELON-28

WKU-38
UTC-20

ASU-28
CITADEL-13 -- WIthout Lawson...if hes in this should be 24

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Every other player, we have running backs playing defense, a freshman QB on the defense, etc... We are hurting pretty badly but somehow finding a way to win games.

Not to mention our other QB (Clark) that has been playing fullback because Dusty was hurt. We are a mess but somehow holding down the fort. We have QB's returning punts, playing WR, playing RB, playing FB, playing DB, holding the ball for PAT's, and oh yea, playing QB (almost forgot!). Our RB's are playing defense, one of our DB's is playing offense. How many players got dismissed from or left the team (2 kicked off and one left I believe). Half of our backfield is injured. And I've lost track of who all else is hurt. Nuts, absolutely nuts. Thank God for Jayson Foster, Chris Covington, Billy Lowe, Jesse Hartley (a walk-on I might add), and our O-line.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Not to mention our other QB (Clark) that has been playing fullback because Dusty was hurt. We are a mess but somehow holding down the fort. We have QB's returning punts, playing WR, playing RB, playing FB, playing DB, holding the ball for PAT's, and oh yea, playing QB (almost forgot!). Our RB's are playing defense, one of our DB's is playing offense. How many players got dismissed from or left the team (2 kicked off and one left I believe). Half of our backfield is injured. And I've lost track of who all else is hurt. Nuts, absolutely nuts. Thank God for Jayson Foster, Chris Covington, Billy Lowe, Jesse Hartley (a walk-on I might add), and our O-line.

And a WR playing Running back!

This is a crazy season here in the boro! xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

OL FU
October 29th, 2007, 05:30 AM
A meniscus is the cartilage in your knee xthumbsupx I tore mine in high school (left knee) and had to have surgery; Lawson can still play but the swelling will most likely affect him as well as the slight nuisance pain and soreness.

I just tore mine again this summer, but am chosing not to have surgery at this time, but it's a b!tch after playing softball. I'm not 20 years old anymore either though (31 years)xnonono2x . He'll probably be fine but he won't be able to run at full strength the rest of the season though.

My predictions are coming later this week.... hope this helps OL

Thanksxthumbsupx

CamelCityAppFan
October 29th, 2007, 07:50 AM
GSU-Wofford: I think the Eagles find a way to win in a close game.

Elon-Furman: A highly motivated Elon beats a deflated Furman to take sole possession of 1st Place in the SoCon.

UTC-WKU: I'd like to see UTC win (if only to keep things interesting), but I don't think they get it done.

App-El Cid: I think App continues to re-discover itself and wins on the road. Will it be close? It's up to the ASU defense. The Mountaineers have scored an average of 37 points per game against Divsion I opponents, and I think they score in that neighborhood this weekend. Do we get the D that beat Elon and Northern Arizona, or the D that was manhandled by Wofford and GSU?

ButlerGSU
October 29th, 2007, 08:25 AM
GSU-Wofford: I think the Eagles find a way to win in a close game.

Elon-Furman: A highly motivated Elon beats a deflated Furman to take sole possession of 1st Place in the SoCon.

UTC-WKU: I'd like to see UTC win (if only to keep things interesting), but I don't think they get it done.

App-El Cid: I think App continues to re-discover itself and wins on the road. Will it be close? It's up to the ASU defense. The Mountaineers have scored an average of 37 points per game against Divsion I opponents, and I think they score in that neighborhood this weekend. Do we get the D that beat Elon and Northern Arizona, or the D that was manhandled by Wofford and GSU?

Citadel has a pretty impressive defense, you'll need to bring out all the guns to run the score up on them.

drpnut
October 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Woffy-28
Ga South-24
*Wofford started real strong, and after a couple of off weeks, gets back on track at home.

FU- 42
Elon-38

*Elon still real young, Furman is hungry and get it done.

WKU-34
Chatty-27

*Chatty hasn't proven much since beating GSU, don't expect things to change now.

ElCid (with Lawson)- 27
Appy-24

*Lawson is more important to his team than Edwards is to App.

Appy-- 35
ElCid (NO Lawson)-24

Appaholic
October 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM
GaSouth- 24
Wofford- 20

Furman- 34
Elon- 31

WKY- 28
UTC- 10

AppSt- 31
ElCid- 17

OL FU
October 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM
All I can say is that The Citadel better win this week.xnodx

Otherwise, citdog will be in Crapsville mooching drinks off of everyonexrolleyesx xrotatehx xsmhx xcoolx xsmiley_wix xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

lizrdgizrd
October 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
ElCid (with Lawson)- 27
Appy-24

*Lawson is more important to his team than Edwards is to App.

Appy-- 35
ElCid (NO Lawson)-24
So Lawson is only good for 3 additional points against us but without him our offense scores 11 more points? Does he play defense too? xconfusedx

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 11:05 AM
GSU 35 - Wofford 31 Eagles gaining more confidence and momentum each week. Tough close game but the Eagles prevail.

Elon 38 - Furman 31 Elon better be on upset alert because this is still Furman. If they stay focused they win a close one.

UTC 17 - WKU 31

ASU 40 - Citadel 31 Scoring points is not a problem... Keeping the opponents off the scoreboard is. If Lawson doesn't play or is limited then the margin could be a little wider. But the Dogs are tough at home

WCU- do they still play football???xlolx xrotatehx xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM
So Lawson is only good for 3 additional points against us but without him our offense scores 11 more points? Does he play defense too? xconfusedx

You get more T.O.P when the other team's offense isn't as good.

GSU 35 - Wofford 31 Eagles gaining more confidence and momentum each week. Tough close game but the Eagles prevail at home.

Elon 38 - Furman 31 Elon better be on upset alert because this is still Furman. If they stay focused they win a close one.

UTC 17 - WKU 31

ASU 40 - Citadel 31 Scoring points is not a problem... Keeping the opponents off the scoreboard is. If Lawson doesn't play or is limited then the margin could be a little wider. But the Dogs are tough at home

WCU- do they still play football???xlolx xrotatehx xlolx

The game is at Wofford.

lizrdgizrd
October 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM
TOP isn't really a problem for our offense.

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM

The game is at Wofford.

Thanks I fixed it.... Just for that.... I'm picking WOFFORD!xlolx

Death Dealer
October 29th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Wofford remembers that this is their year to shine and sends the Eagles back to Paulson with a few less feathers

Furman plays a great game, but BL somehow manages to lose anyway. Elon wins by less than a TD.xbawlingx Can we get rid of BL now?

UTC continues to struggle and gives FU hope that we aren't the worst team in the SOCON.

Lawson reaches deep and finds what he needs to beat an already beaten up crAppy denfense and The Citadel wins by a nose.

Western, well you can't lose if you don't play, so they don't lose.

NashMoc
October 29th, 2007, 11:56 AM
UTC continues to struggle and gives FU hope that we aren't the worst team in the SOCON.

I think that Furman beating UTC already proves that Chattanooga is not as good as the Furps. However, thanks to WCU neither one of us can lay claim to the worst in the conference.

UTC loses this weekend. I just don't see our defense stopping the Toppers and our offense can't convert enough third downs to keep pace.

GaSouthern
October 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
UTC over the toppers
FU over Elon
Appy over Citadel (unless lawson is back then Cit over appy)
WCU slips past Bye Week in overtime

Not predicting my team.

appfan2008
October 29th, 2007, 12:13 PM
ASU will score enough points against TC to win the game... asu's offense is too good... if lawson plays he will keep it close and it will be a shootout if he doesnt play ASU will run away with it... IMHO

Millwoch
October 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Wofford 42 GSU 30...Woffy wins the TO battle and subsequiently the game

Elon over FU...Furman can not stop the pass. The Citadel threw all over them and Appy did too. Elon throws 50+ times and win 38-30

Chatty vs WKU...don't know much about this one...but my gut says WKU wins this one.

Appy Vs El Cid....Lawson will be out unless a miracle happens. Blanchard is the man of the future, lets see what he can do. He can throw, but will be running less than Lawson. Edwards will throw on The Citadel secondary better than Foster last week and move the ball. I predicted this one to be a loss for the Dogs before the season, but with FU playing them close last week I think we can at least keep it close. Higgins is still looking for a signature win(sorry FU but you guys are not it this year, but if we lose we will hang our hat on it) Expect a big crowd for this one...the largest of the year for the dogs at Homecoming(and no one travels like Appy) so get your tickets now...I hate to say this but Appy 31 Citadel 24...just a gut feeling, hope I am wrong.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Wofford 42 GSU 30...Woffy wins the TO battle and subsequiently the game

The Triple Option battle? You are posting two years late my friend.

OL FU
October 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM

I assumed he meant turnover

GSUhooligan
October 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I think he meant turnover battle. I don't think we've given the ball up in the last few games.

Millwoch
October 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM
That is exactly what I meant...Woffy just has a nack for making those types of advantages in big games(it actually makes me sick)

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I assumed he meant turnover

xbangx

T.M.A.I.T.W.!!!

To many abbreviations in this world.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM
That is exactly what I meant...Woffy just has a nack for making those types of advantages in big games(it actually makes me sick)

We have been good about not turning the ball over. We haven't had a turnover in three games. Hopefully that will continue to be our trend.

OL FU
October 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM
xbangx

T.M.A.I.T.W.!!!

To many abbreviations in this world.

considering you had twenty plus years of the other TO, we will forgive youxnodx

Millwoch
October 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I hope so too...

chattanoogamocs
October 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM
So a psychologist sits down with a member of each SoCon school and asks them to free associate..."tell me the first thing that pops in your head when you hear the following letters"...

TO

Now most fans would just say turnover, but some schools fans had surprising results....

GSU triple option
(though the more sophisticated fans knows it is really 3O, not TO)

WCU time out!
(usually screamed right before the other team scores)

UC terrell owens
(followed by the fans shaking his head, wondering if Terrell will ever give a penny back to his school)

ASU terrible officiating
(that could go for most schools, but ASU seems to be the leader in "SoCon Ref" threads on their board)

Sorry, kinda lame, I know...it's Monday and I am a little hung over from a Halloween party. xcoffeex

gasouthern01
October 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM
So a psychologist sits down with a member of each SoCon school and asks them to free associate..."tell me the first thing that pops in your head when you hear the following letters"...

TO

Now most fans would just say turnover, but some schools fans had surprising results....

GSU triple option
(though the more sophisticated fans knows it is really 3O, not TO)

WCU time out!
(usually screamed right before the other team scores)

UC terrell owens
(followed by the fans shaking his head, wondering if Terrell will ever give a penny back to his school)

ASU terrible officiating
(that could go for most schools, but ASU seems to be the leader in "SoCon Ref" threads on their board)

Sorry, kinda lame, I know...it's Monday and I am a little hung over from a Halloween party. xcoffeex

Haa now that was good. Good job chattanoogamocs!

AlphaSigMD
October 29th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I love how its so vogue to predict the citadel to win over ASU this weekend.

I guess winning a couple of national championships in a row really brings the haters out of the woodwork when there is any chance to doubt the mountaineers.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM

I guess winning a couple of national championships in a row really brings the haters out of the woodwork when there is any chance to doubt the mountaineers.

Citadel over ASU is SOO the new ASU over GSU. Get with it man.

How about Coulson? Picked us to lose to both ASU and Citadel by like 20 something.. yeah, we won a few championships and picked up a few haters along the way too.

GSUhooligan
October 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Kind of like its vogue to be an App. fan. Winning a couple of championships really brought the posters out of the woodwork. <cough> July 2006 <cough> xthumbsupx

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Kind of like its vogue to be an App. fan. Winning a couple of championships really brought the posters out of the woodwork. <cough> July 2006 <cough> xthumbsupx

Some of us had to find the website so just make sure you turn your head when you cough.... Ok Pumpkinxeyebrowx

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Not to mention the hundreds of fans that were leaving the ASU/GSU game with 10 minutes left when y'all weren't winning.

xbandwagonx xbandwagonx xbandwagonx
xnonox xnonox

appstate38
October 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Not to mention the hundreds of fans that were leaving the ASU/GSU game with 10 minutes left when y'all weren't winning.

xbandwagonx xbandwagonx xbandwagonx
xnonox xnonox

Man that is cold!

AlphaSigMD
October 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM

So I was late finding this website...of course that makes me a not a true fan. Forgive me, I've been in medical school.

How's about this for kicks. I don't miss a single ASU homegame from 1996-2004, and we win zero championships. I leave for medical school in Jan 2005, and ASU wins 2 Championships in a row. Stunned.

However, I did get to see both National Championship Games and the Michigan game.

CharlestonAppFan
October 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Don't ya remember last year? Most everyone on here, picked against us everyweek, especially during the playoffs. It happens, but it's more wishful thinking than anything elsexnodx:D ....I'm just glad people take noticexthumbsupx 'cause there may be a day in the future when our BVG comes to take over our team as well...and I hope to God xprayx that doesn't ever happen to us......everxnutsx

proasu89
October 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM

You'uns down thar in Georga gots to realize that us hicks just dun gone and got electricity. Law, have mercy, we'uns just now beginnin to understand this computer stuffxsmiley_wix

Seven Would Be Nice
October 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Don't ya remember last year? Most everyone on here, picked against us everyweek, especially during the playoffs. It happens, but it's more wishful thinking than anything elsexnodx:D ....I'm just glad people take noticexthumbsupx 'cause there may be a day in the future when our BVG comes to take over our team as well...and I hope to God xprayx that doesn't ever happen to us......everxnutsx

I wouldn't wish *** upon anyone. It just wouldn't be fair playing that team anymore. It would be like if y'all only brought 6 players to the game. The only team I would wish he would go (back) to is UGA. :D

GSUhooligan
October 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM
So I was late finding this website...of course that makes me a not a true fan. Forgive me, I've been in medical school.

How's about this for kicks. I don't miss a single ASU homegame from 1996-2004, and we win zero championships. I leave for medical school in Jan 2005, and ASU wins 2 Championships in a row. Stunned.

However, I did get to see both National Championship Games and the Michigan game.

I wasn't poking at you in particular, just using your sign up date as an example. Of the 10,000 extra fans in the seats and the (seemingly) 200 extra ASU posters on this site since december of '05 I find it very hard to believe that every last one of them has black and gold running through their veins. Pure jealousy, I might add.

AlphaSigMD
October 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I wasn't poking at you in particular, just using your sign up date as an example. Of the 10,000 extra fans in the seats and the (seemingly) 200 extra ASU posters on this site since december of '05 I find it very hard to believe that every last one of them has black and gold running through their veins. Pure jealousy, I might add.

I understand, and I meant no ill will either in my response. Its always nice to see the days when ASU and GSU field good teams.

I remember that 17-16 ASU-GSU game back in '99 like it was yesterday. Delano little (the sports guy in charlotte and GSU alum, [in Biology?!?]) went out on a limb and said that his No. 1 Eagles couldn't lose to ASU. He had to shave his mustache for that one. He STILL hasn't grown it back, or hadn't last time I saw the local news.

Eaglegus2
October 29th, 2007, 09:28 PM

You need to go back and see who picked App State to win the 1st NC. Then, who picked them to repeat.

He wasn't an App State fan.xsmiley_wix xnodx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

I believe the Team he supports has a record of 11-11-1 against AppState.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

jbuggASU
October 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Another nervous week for this App fan. xnodx

CamelCityAppFan
October 30th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Don't ya remember last year? Most everyone on here, picked against us everyweek, especially during the playoffs. It happens, but it's more wishful thinking than anything elsexnodx:D

It was pretty funny last year-- ASU was clearly the best team in I-AA football last season, but to read the boards here, they were the perennial underdog.

Each week in the playoffs, it was "<Insert ASU Opponent Here> beats ASU in a close one. The Mountaineers haven't seen anyone like <Insert Star From ASU Opponent Here> and won't have an answer for him."

And we all remember how the playoffs went.

This year, our conference foes have exposed a young Mountaineer team as being merely mortal. I'm not worried-- I see a 9-2 finish and a respectable playoff run, even if we don't get the whole pie again this year. With our youth and good coaching, the next few years look pretty bright.

CharlestonAppFan
October 30th, 2007, 09:05 AM
You need to go back and see who picked App State to win the 1st NC. Then, who picked them to repeat.

He wasn't an App State fan.xsmiley_wix xnodx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

I believe the Team he supports has a record of 11-11-1 against AppState.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

And who would that be?.....no..it couldn't.....be.....a....don't make me....say it.....a GSU....Eagle fan did this?xlolx xlolx xrotatehx

And for the record also, I became a member here in October last year, but I've followed the Apps since the 80's. I grew up in Lenoir (20 minutes down the road) and went to at least 1 game per year ever since. My dad's best friend took me most of the time, and I had an a cousin go there who took me as well. Never been nor will I ever be a ASU bandwagoonier...as to quote Mr. The Citdog, "I'm not saying, I'm just saying":D

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2007, 11:23 AM
It was pretty funny last year-- ASU was clearly the best team in I-AA football last season, but to read the boards here, they were the perennial underdog.

Each week in the playoffs, it was "<Insert ASU Opponent Here> beats ASU in a close one. The Mountaineers haven't seen anyone like <Insert Star From ASU Opponent Here> and won't have an answer for him."

And we all remember how the playoffs went.

This year, our conference foes have exposed a young Mountaineer team as being merely mortal. I'm not worried-- I see a 9-2 finish and a respectable playoff run, even if we don't get the whole pie again this year. With our youth and good coaching, the next few years look pretty bright.

I don't remember anyone picking you to lose to Coastal...or Montana State. YSU and UMass seemed pretty evenly split.

AppAlum
October 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, my first post.

This weekends game is huge for me as I am an Appalachian Alum but now go to the Citadel's B school.

I will be rooting for the mighty black and gold but unfortunately I will be out of town.

Go App!!!

Mountaineer#96
October 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome aboard AppAlum.........I'll take your place at the game for sure, I got my tickets two weeks ago. Can't wait to tailgate and see the parade! Citdog where you at with them steaks? :)

appstate38
October 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Welcome aboard AppAlum.........I'll take your place at the game for sure, I got my tickets two weeks ago. Can't wait to tailgate and see the parade! Citdog where you at with them steaks? :)

He might still be laying around inside the Dog House....

Laserlips
October 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM

FWIW:

Do that very thing two or three times and it won't get any better.. xwhistlex

JP

(Unapologetic GSU Homer)

phillyAPP
October 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
FWIW:

Do that very thing two or three times and it won't get any better.. xwhistlex

JP

(Unapologetic GSU Homer)

With only 2 under our hat, it gives me alot of respect for what GSU did in its day.

The constant target on your uniform takes a toll on the physical condition of the players and winning 6 times is unbelievable. It must be hard to be just a mortal nowadays.

I wonder how this years competition up and down the SoCon would compare to the 80's and 90's. It seeems to be a war for every team , every week.

Eaglegus2
October 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM
With only 2 under our hat, it gives me alot of respect for what GSU did in its day.

The constant target on your uniform takes a toll on the physical condition of the players and winning 6 times is unbelievable. It must be hard to be just a mortal nowadays.

I wonder how this years competition up and down the SoCon would compare to the 80's and 90's. It seeems to be a war for every team , every week.

Good question! I believe that today's defense has caught up with the 3O. The passing game has spread the field and made for more parity.

The 1989 GSU Team would have beaten every SoCon team today by 14 or more......mostly more.

Just my opinion!xnodx :D

blueballs
October 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Good question! I believe that today's defense has caught up with the 3O. The passing game has spread the field and made for more parity.

The 1989 GSU Team would have beaten every SoCon team today by 14 or more......mostly more.
Just my opinion!xnodx :D

The 1999 GSU team would have too.

GreatAppSt
October 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM
The 1999 GSU team would have too.

I remember a team from 1999 that lost in Boone to ASU and just eeked out a win over Furman by three, now who was that?

appstate38
October 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I remember a team from 1999 that lost in Boone to ASU and just eeked out a win over Furman by three, now who was that?

Wouldn't that be the game were the mighty App defense held Adrian Peterson to under 100 yards rushing to break his streak. If so then I remember what he did to the Penguin defense in the National Championship game when he ran over what seemed like the entire group to break a huge run. That was power running.

pete4256
October 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Wouldn't that be the game were the mighty App defense held Adrian Peterson to under 100 yards rushing to break his streak. If so then I remember what he did to the Penguin defense in the National Championship game when he ran over what seemed like the entire group to break a huge run. That was power running.

Nope. App held AP under 100 in 2001, about 28 straight 100-yard-games later. They lost anyway. The 17-16 loss at App in 1999 proved to me that anyone can be beaten by a conference rival. That 1999 squad might have been the best group of Eagles ever, which is saying something. And whoever mentioned the Furman game wasn't there.

blueballs
October 31st, 2007, 08:29 AM

The same team that scored 195 points in 4 playoff games, averaged 50 ppg over a 15 game schedule, scored 41 at Oregon State after being stranded in Macon during a hurricane, and averaged about 500 ypg over 15 games. That team would crush any team in the SoCon this year. In fact, I haven't seen a defense in the conference this year I thought could hold that group under 50.

The ASU game that year (their only loss to a FCS) was almost surreal. The team didn't wake up until the fourth qtr and a bad bounce on a blocked punt by Earthwind Moreland in the ASU endzone that went for a safety instead of a TD was the difference. That was a GREAT performance by the App defense that day.

The Furman game that year was the one where Paul Johnson called out the conference head of officiating on the radio, in the papers, and to the conference commissioner- after chasing the officials off the field after he won. GSU had around 200 yds of penalties that day (some which were comical), which negated almost 700 yards of offense, which was the only reason it was close.