PDA

View Full Version : SLC Awards - With Three Weeks Remaining

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Thoughts from the SLC fanbase?

Coach of the Year: Clint Conque, UCA
League MVP: Nathan Brown, UCA
League Off POTY:
League Def POTY: Bryan Smith, McNeese (second would be LaDarius Webb, Nicholls)

Having a tough time with the league's top offensive player. You have to pencil in Nathan Brown as the league MVP at this point and the league does not give top honors to the same player, so who would you put in there?

Derrick Fourroux? If the Kats can win the last three games, Rhett Bomar? Trying to think who else has really stuck out -- lots of inconsistent players. No real standout -- last year, it was pretty easy to see a few explosive players (i.e Whitehead, Terry)...

BEAR
October 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Good choices! xthumbsupx

If I recall at the start of the season, many said we would have the second year jitters and mabye, maybe suffer greatly with such a young team. Plus the Southland was down last year but wouldn't be this year and UCA would see the difference. Is the Southland down again this year? I hope not! I can't wait to get the chance to maybe take on McNeese for the conference title! If we lose to McNeese, that fine too. They are undefeated and very talented. But we will give them a good game. Better than they expect anyway. Next up SDSU. Welcome to our house Rabbits! xthumbsupx (Can you tell I'm hyped about this season! )

FormerPokeCenter
October 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
At the risk of being accused of Homerism, if McNeese wins out, how do you not reward Viator with COY, with an 11-0 finish?

On offense, I dunno. The kid at UCA is very good, but if Fourroux is able to lead McNeese to an 11-0 finish, I think it would be foolish not to have him get serious consideration.

I know you can't compare common scores, but UCA lost at Northwestern and has had, what, three close games against SHSU, SELA and Nicholls? McNeese hasn't played Northwestern yet, but hasn't had close games against anybody just yet....

Fourroux may not have explosive numbers, but he's obviously the main cog that powers McNeese's offense. I think he makes a strong case for Offensive POY...

BEAR
October 27th, 2007, 10:45 PM
At the risk of being accused of Homerism, if McNeese wins out, how do you not reward Viator with COY, with an 11-0 finish?

On offense, I dunno. The kid at UCA is very good, but if Fourroux is able to lead McNeese to an 11-0 finish, I think it would be foolish not to have him get serious consideration.

I know you can't compare common scores, but UCA lost at Northwestern and has had, what, three close games against SHSU, SELA and Nicholls? McNeese hasn't played Northwestern yet, but hasn't had close games against anybody just yet....

Fourroux may not have explosive numbers, but he's obviously the main cog that powers McNeese's offense. I think he makes a strong case for Offensive POY...

Co-players of the year maybe? Nathan has done miracles with a freshman laden team. Fourroux might lead his team to an undefeated season. But it's just so hard to pick against an offensive genius like Nathan. The loss to NWST was by a field goal and it was early in the season, nevertheless, it was a loss and counts against Nathan. Tough choice between the two. Will it be record setting Nathan Brown or stable and possibly undefeated Forroux? xeyebrowx

MaximumBobcat
October 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
xhomerx

Cameron Luke.

BEAR
October 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Nathan Brown

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
Brown,Nathan 8 163.76 188-276-6 68.1 2382 23 66 297.8

verses Derrick Fourroux

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
Fourroux, Derrick 8 167.2 93-153-4 60.8 1483 14 58 185.4

McNeese75
October 28th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Nathan Brown

verses Derrick Fourroux

There is some guy out at San Diego State that is being pushed for the Peyton (by SD fans :D ) this year because of his stats but today they played a Dayton team that took them to the house.

If McNeese runs the board, I think Fourroux is a better choice for POY with Brown getting the offensive MVP.

Guess we will find out over the next three weeks. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
October 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Nathan Brown

verses Derrick Fourroux

Does Brown play most of the game for UCA? What kind of numbers does his backup have?

Brown's passing numbers appear to be flashier than Fourroux's, but McNeese's second team gets a LOT of reps, even at QB. Mark Fontenot comes in generally in the second quarter, regardless of the situation and gets significant playing time. Fourroux generally only averages about 60 percent of the playing time.

Tonight Fontenot came in on the second drive after Fourroux was shaken up on violently flagrant facemask tackle and proceeded to shred Southeastern for some ridiculously accurate number like 15 of 16 passes for 228 yards and three touchdowns before Fourroux came back after halftime...

The other thing that comes to mind is rushing numbers. What kind of rusher is Brown?

I think Fourroux has close to 500 yards rushing on the year.

McNeese_beat
October 28th, 2007, 03:37 AM

League Off POTY:

Having a tough time with the league's top offensive player. You have to pencil in Nathan Brown as the league MVP at this point and the league does not give top honors to the same player, so who would you put in there?

Derrick Fourroux? If the Kats can win the last three games, Rhett Bomar? Trying to think who else has really stuck out -- lots of inconsistent players. No real standout -- last year, it was pretty easy to see a few explosive players (i.e Whitehead, Terry)...

Jay Lucas had an off-night tonight for SLU, but his combination of rushing and receiving stats are pretty impressive.

Fourroux also. Here's a guy who may throw for 2,000 and rush for 600.

GeauxLions94
October 28th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Jay Lucas had an off-night tonight for SLU, but his combination of rushing and receiving stats are pretty impressive.

Fourroux also. Here's a guy who may throw for 2,000 and rush for 600.

Thanks for the kudos on JLucas. He fought for every yard he got tonight against a VERY GOOD McNeese State team.

Fourroux did have an off-night (at least early) ... my vote would be for Fontenot.

McNeese_beat
October 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the kudos on JLucas. He fought for every yard he got tonight against a VERY GOOD McNeese State team.

Fourroux did have an off-night (at least early) ... my vote would be for Fontenot.

Fourroux first-team, Fontenot second team. Ha!

Fourroux was off early when McNeese was figuring out the blitzes SLU was showing. Then he came back and his vision was fuzzy thanks to Mr. Connors...

In the second half, he could see better and he threw it better...

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Does Brown play most of the game for UCA? What kind of numbers does his backup have?

Brown's passing numbers appear to be flashier than Fourroux's, but McNeese's second team gets a LOT of reps, even at QB. Mark Fontenot comes in generally in the second quarter, regardless of the situation and gets significant playing time. Fourroux generally only averages about 60 percent of the playing time.

Tonight Fontenot came in on the second drive after Fourroux was shaken up on violently flagrant facemask tackle and proceeded to shred Southeastern for some ridiculously accurate number like 15 of 16 passes for 228 yards and three touchdowns before Fourroux came back after halftime...

The other thing that comes to mind is rushing numbers. What kind of rusher is Brown?

I think Fourroux has close to 500 yards rushing on the year.

Jay, I crunched some numbers for comparison's sake and came up with this:
In the fourth quarter of games this season, Fourroux has only attempted 13 passes, completing 8, for 154 yards. He has not played in three of the eight fourth quarters because his team was so far ahead. McNeese has only outscored opponents 45-37 in the fourth quarter. Of course, the Cowboys have yet to finish a game needing its starters...

Brown, on the other hand, has completed 46 of 68 passes for 550 yards in the fourth quarter.
Obviously, Central Arkansas throws the ball more within the context of its normal offense than McNeese, but the frequent McNeese blowouts have led to a lot of (literally) running out the clock late in games. UCA, on the other hand, has been in some fourth-quarter shootouts. Five of its eight games have been decided in the final quarter or beyond.

FormerPokeCenter
October 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Jay, I crunched some numbers for comparison's sake and came up with this:
In the fourth quarter of games this season, Fourroux has only attempted 13 passes, completing 8, for 154 yards. He has not played in three of the eight fourth quarters because his team was so far ahead. McNeese has only outscored opponents 45-37 in the fourth quarter. Of course, the Cowboys have yet to finish a game needing its starters...

Brown, on the other hand, has completed 46 of 68 passes for 550 yards in the fourth quarter.
Obviously, Central Arkansas throws the ball more within the context of its normal offense than McNeese, but the frequent McNeese blowouts have led to a lot of (literally) running out the clock late in games. UCA, on the other hand, has been in some fourth-quarter shootouts. Five of its eight games have been decided in the final quarter or beyond.

Gary,

Thanks, That worked out kinda like I thought it would from just looking at the final scores. Brown has the "better" numbers, but that appears to be a function of necessity. I've been particularly impressed with Fourroux's field presence this year. He just "looks" more confident and poised back there than he did last year.

To mek, that's the biggest single difference I see between the McTeam this year and last year. Well, that and the improved play in the line.

The Pokes are very efficient with moving the ball down the field and scoring. The third down conversion ratio appears to be much improved, which - to me - shows that they're not having to punt that frequently and since most of the Fourroux led drives are resultilng in touchdowns, there's no necessity to have him in the game in the late going.

That's a two-edged sword, though. If they manage to winout and make the playoffs, they'll need to have been tested and to have fought through adversity...

Brown will probably get the Offensive Player of the Year based on numbers, but I would hope that Fourroux would get some consideration for Conference Player of the Year based on his field generalship, rather than just pure numbers....Maybe we should try to get John StOnge involved and come up with a formulaic statistic that takes into account pure numbers, but have it weighted for the number of quarters played, the score differential and whether or not the game was a win. We could call it the Laney-St. Onge Field General Efficiency Ratio, or something like that...

Whatcha think?

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Gary,

Thanks, That worked out kinda like I thought it would from just looking at the final scores. Brown has the "better" numbers, but that appears to be a function of necessity. I've been particularly impressed with Fourroux's field presence this year. He just "looks" more confident and poised back there than he did last year.

To mek, that's the biggest single difference I see between the McTeam this year and last year. Well, that and the improved play in the line.

The Pokes are very efficient with moving the ball down the field and scoring. The third down conversion ratio appears to be much improved, which - to me - shows that they're not having to punt that frequently and since most of the Fourroux led drives are resultilng in touchdowns, there's no necessity to have him in the game in the late going.

That's a two-edged sword, though. If they manage to winout and make the playoffs, they'll need to have been tested and to have fought through adversity...

Brown will probably get the Offensive Player of the Year based on numbers, but I would hope that Fourroux would get some consideration for Conference Player of the Year based on his field generalship, rather than just pure numbers....Maybe we should try to get John StOnge involved and come up with a formulaic statistic that takes into account pure numbers, but have it weighted for the number of quarters played, the score differential and whether or not the game was a win. We could call it the Laney-St. Onge Field General Efficiency Ratio, or something like that...

Whatcha think?

Well, Fourroux's pass efficiency is better. That's not enough? xrulesx

FormerPokeCenter
October 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Well, Fourroux's pass efficiency is better. That's not enough? xrulesx

Well, for me it is, but I'm a Blue Kool-Aid swilling McHomer....

McTailGator
October 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM

League Off POTY:

Derrick Fourroux - is the man. Look at his stats and his winning percentage.

McTailGator
October 29th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Shoot, Fouroux only played 6 plays in the 1st half until he was sidelined by "The Finger" xthumbsupx

I think the Lions game planned very well for Fouroux, but were thrown out of that plan when Fontenot (who has totally different strenghs) came in and exposed an unprepared Defense.

Once Fouroux stopped seening spots, and the OL changed their blocking scheme to meet the DL's threat, DF did a good job of running down the clock.

Fontenot is no doubt our best passer, but Foureux is just hard to defend against. I think mixing both of them into the game every now and then is hell on a defense.

JohnStOnge
October 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Well, for me it is, but I'm a Blue Kool-Aid swilling McHomer....

Me too. I've only seen UCA's guy play on TV once...but I've posted before that if I had the choice between the two for who would be McNeese's QB I'd take Fourroux. Even after struggling this past weekend, Forroux's got a slightly higher passing efficiency rating (167.2 to 163.8). Brown's got a somewhat higher completion percentage (68.1 to 60.8) but Fourroux gets longer completions (15.9 yards per completion vs. 12.7). Brown has more touchdown passes (23 to 14) but a higher percentage of Fourroux's passes have gone for scores (9.7 to 8.3). Brown does have a somewhat lower interception percentage now (2.2 to 2.6). But I think that, on a play by play basis, Fourroux's been a little more productive when he's thrown the football.

And Fourroux is also the more effective of the two at running the football (4.9 yards per carry average vs. 3.3).

McNeeserocket
October 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Good choices! xthumbsupx

I can't wait to get the chance to maybe take on McNeese for the conference title! If we lose to McNeese, that fine too. They are undefeated and very talented.

Just for the record, if McNeese is undefeated going into the last game against UCA and then McNeese loses to UCA, then McNeese and UCA share the conference title (both would have one loss).

The only way UCA wins the title outright is if McNeese loses one or more of its last three games, including losing to UCA.

Lionsrking
October 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM

League Off POTY:

I would go with...

Coach of the Year, Matt Viator, McNeese...Clint Conque and Jay Thomas are very deserving but there's no denying the impact Viator has had on the Cowboy program. They play with a completely different mindset and swagger and have been consistent all season long.

League MVP...Nathan Brown, UCA...Best QB and player in the league in my opinion and the straw that stirs the drink in Conway. You could make a case for Forroux, but considering McNeese's backup did most of the damage against us, it indicates to me that the collective parts have more to do with their success than the individual. Brown makes plays on his own and runs that offense like Peyton Manning runs the Colts.

League Defensive POY...I'll go with Bryan Smith narrowly over Ladarius Webb. Smith faces constant double and triple teams and still dominates. Didn't do much against us statistically, but we had to account for him which allowed the rest of their defense to make plays. We saw Webb at USM last year and he's an exceptional talent, and is well deserving of this award as well.

League Offensive POY...I'm tempted to go "homer" and take Jay Lucas because I think he deserves something, but hard not to go with Forroux and his production both running and passing.

Of course there's still three games to play and anything can happen between now and then, but I don't think you can go wrong with these choices.

UCAMonkey
October 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics18/400/WO/WOJFIWVAGDJWALA.20071012042619.jpg

SLC Player of the week. Again.

OFFENSE

NATHAN BROWN, Central Arkansas, Jr., QB, 6-2, 209, Russellville, Ark.

In a 49-42 overtime win over No. 18 Nicholls State, Brown completed 28-of-44 passes for 338 yards and four touchdowns. He did not thrown an interception as he led the Bears to three straight fourth-quarter touchdowns to send the game to overtime. Brown has now thrown 220 consecutive passes without an INT, going back to game two of the season. He also established a school record for total offense (6,884 yards) during the game. It is Brown’s third honor of the season and third in the last four weeks.

Lionsrking
October 29th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Me too. I've only seen UCA's guy play on TV once...but I've posted before that if I had the choice between the two for who would be McNeese's QB I'd take Fourroux. Even after struggling this past weekend, Forroux's got a slightly higher passing efficiency rating (167.2 to 163.8). Brown's got a somewhat higher completion percentage (68.1 to 60.8) but Fourroux gets longer completions (15.9 yards per completion vs. 12.7). Brown has more touchdown passes (23 to 14) but a higher percentage of Fourroux's passes have gone for scores (9.7 to 8.3). Brown does have a somewhat lower interception percentage now (2.2 to 2.6). But I think that, on a play by play basis, Fourroux's been a little more productive when he's thrown the football.

And Fourroux is also the more effective of the two at running the football (4.9 yards per carry average vs. 3.3).

Forroux has a better rating and higher yards per completion rate, but a lot of those yards are RAC or YAC (depending on what you call it) and I think much of that credit has to go to the WRs, who are constantly open. That's no knock on Forroux, I think he's a great QB who fits that system well. But Nathan Brown, in my opinion, is a more advanced passer who can go through progressions as quickly as anyone I've ever seen. He makes consistently good decisions, under pressure, and sees the entire field. And there's not a throw he can't make. To me, he's the best QB we've faced since bringing football back, including the I-A guys.

BEAR
October 29th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Just for the record, if McNeese is undefeated going into the last game against UCA and the McNeese loses to UCA, then McNeese and UCA share the conference title (both would have one loss).

The only way UCA wins the title outright is if McNeese loses one or more of its last three games, including losing to UCA.

I didn't know that! Wow! To have the same conference record overall and beat the team that is tied with you only gives you a share with that team? Weird. But I guess a share would be great for UCA anyway. Just remember UCA is freshman laden, only in it's second year in division I ball and doing what it has done already has made UCA fans happy beyond belief! I can't wait to see how McNeese plays. But all that aside, UCA still has SFA(a loss to them and it's all moot). And as this website suggests...ANY GIVEN SATURDAY..xthumbsupx

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Forroux has a better rating and higher yards per completion rate, but a lot of those yards are RAC or YAC (depending on what you call it) and I think much of that credit has to go to the WRs, who are constantly open. That's no knock on Forroux, I think he's a great QB who fits that system well. But Nathan Brown, in my opinion, is a more advanced passer who can go through progressions as quickly as anyone I've ever seen. He makes consistently good decisions, under pressure, and sees the entire field. And there's not a throw he can't make. To me, he's the best QB we've faced since bringing football back, including the I-A guys.

I've been hearing that kind of praise from several sources. I look forward to seeing the kid play!

I also welcome a dominant UCA team to the league. I know some other SLC fans hate to hear this but the SLC has slipped a notch in the big pictures since Troy left the league leaving McNeese as its one consistent winner. UCA has shown the ability to be another Troy.

Lionsrking
October 29th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I've been hearing that kind of praise from several sources. I look forward to seeing the kid play!

I also welcome a dominant UCA team to the league. I know some other SLC fans hate to hear this but the SLC has slipped a notch in the big pictures since Troy left the league leaving McNeese as its one consistent winner. UCA has shown the ability to be another Troy.

I like having UCA as well. They were a D-II power prior to the move and have the pieces in place to transition smoothly to D-I. Having them in the league should help upgrade the competitiveness that has slipped over the past few years. I think we'll see the league cycle back up over the next year or two. Hopefully with the new budgets, we (the Louisiana schools) can begin to lighten up on the brutal non-conference schedules that have destroyed our overall records recently.

patssle
October 29th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I know some other SLC fans hate to hear this but the SLC has slipped a notch in the big pictures since Troy left the league leaving McNeese as its one consistent winner

I disagree.

2001 - SLC represents in Quarter-finals, 3 teams in playoffs
2002 - SLC represents in NC game, 2 teams in playoffs
2003 - 2 teams in playoffs
2004 - SLC represents in Semi-finals, 2 teams in playoffs
2005 - SLC represents in Semi-finals, 2 teams in playoffs

The SLC is down the past 2 seasons...2006 and 2007. Losing OOC games, losing to D2 schools, and not making the playoffs or winning in the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
October 29th, 2007, 07:27 PM
SLC Player of the week. Again.

OFFENSE

NATHAN BROWN, Central Arkansas, Jr., QB, 6-2, 209, Russellville, Ark.

In a 49-42 overtime win over No. 18 Nicholls State, Brown completed 28-of-44 passes for 338 yards and four touchdowns. He did not thrown an interception as he led the Bears to three straight fourth-quarter touchdowns to send the game to overtime. Brown has now thrown 220 consecutive passes without an INT, going back to game two of the season. He also established a school record for total offense (6,884 yards) during the game. It is Brown’s third honor of the season and third in the last four weeks.

Mark Fontenot of McNeese should've won it. I'm sorry, but 15 of 16 for 261 and 3 TDs in less than two quarters of play to move your team from 0-0 to 28 - 10 is more impressive than 28 of 44 for 338 and 4 TDs over an entire game to eek by in overtime.

The Southland really missed an opportunity to recognize somebody who really deserved the honor on this one. If the standard is:

Who had a performance that stands out the most...really catches the eye?

The winner is Fontenot hands down. I don't know what the people who made the decision were thinking in this case. You have a guy who hit 93.8% of his passes and create a situation where the only possession on which his team didn't score a TD while he was in was when he'd just completed a pass of about 20 yards and the receiver fumbled the ball away.

Lionsrking
October 29th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Mark Fontenot of McNeese should've won it. I'm sorry, but 15 of 16 for 261 and 3 TDs in less than two quarters of play to move your team from 0-0 to 28 - 10 is more impressive than 28 of 44 for 338 and 4 TDs over an entire game to eek by in overtime.

The Southland really missed an opportunity to recognize somebody who really deserved the honor on this one. If the standard is:

Who had a performance that stands out the most...really catches the eye?

The winner is Fontenot hands down. I don't know what the people who made the decision were thinking in this case. You have a guy who hit 93.8% of his passes and create a situation where the only possession on which his team didn't score a TD while he was in was when he'd just completed a pass of about 20 yards and the receiver fumbled the ball away.

I agree with you that Fontenot should have been OPOTW this week, especially considering Brown had gotten it twice already. We were geared up to stop Forroux and what he does best, and might have let our guard down some when Fontenot came in the game. But he flat out diced us up with pinpoint accuracy and I don't know how that type of performance doesn't get recognized. He truly earned it.

BEAR
October 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Wow! Being only our first full year in the Southland, is the SLC typically this heavy with talented QBs? xeyebrowx Also, is there an SLC all star game? I really don't know so i'm asking honest questions. xconfusedx :)

McNeese75
October 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Wow! Being only our first full year in the Southland, is the SLC typically this heavy with talented QBs? xeyebrowx Also, is there an SLC all star game? I really don't know so i'm asking honest questions. xconfusedx :)

:) I think the QB talent is exceptional this year and it looks like it will be for a few years. Sorry but there is no conference all star game. The Bears will have to wait a few years to extend their season. (There may be some post season all star type games that players may possibly be eligible for but I am not sure)

McNeese_beat
October 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I like having UCA as well. They were a D-II power prior to the move and have the pieces in place to transition smoothly to D-I. Having them in the league should help upgrade the competitiveness that has slipped over the past few years. I think we'll see the league cycle back up over the next year or two. Hopefully with the new budgets, we (the Louisiana schools) can begin to lighten up on the brutal non-conference schedules that have destroyed our overall records recently.

Amen to that! One a year, I say and none if you don't need one (and you can get FCS teams instead). Not only is it better for your team's record, it helps the league's overall power rating to have opportunities to play non-conference FCS games.

There are a couple of pretty good leagues (Great West and Big Sky, particularly) that are relatively small in number but have quality teams that SLC teams can have some good rivalries with. It's tougher now to schedule teams from the Colonial, Southern and Gateway because of the number of conference games they play.

UCABEARS75
October 30th, 2007, 08:00 AM
There is some guy out at San Diego State that is being pushed for the Peyton (by SD fans :D ) this year because of his stats but today they played a Dayton team that took them to the house.

If McNeese runs the board, I think Fourroux is a better choice for POY with Brown getting the offensive MVP.

Guess we will find out over the next three weeks. xlolx

If McNeese beats us this would be the logical decision if it is true that one player can not get both.

McNeese75
October 30th, 2007, 08:33 AM
If McNeese beats us this would be the logical decision if it is true that one player can not get both.

I really do not know the "official" answer to that question but I do not think the same player usually garners both awards.