PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Craving a Championship

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/images/articles/88502_CSNWay.jpg

It’s fantastic to get national attention, shoot for a Walter Payton award, shoot for an Eddie Robinson award, shoot for a Great West title, and for head coach Craig Bohl to aim to build North Dakota State into a football force to be reckoned with for 2008 and beyond. But the playoffs, and a national championship, will have to wait for next year.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88502

CSN-info
October 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Thank you LFN.

stevdock
October 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Say that the governing body granted NDSU an exemption into the 1-AA playoffs, what would you think? It's not going to happen, but I'm curious to know how many people would be against it.

grizbeer
October 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Say that the governing body granted NDSU an exemption into the 1-AA playoffs, what would you think? It's not going to happen, but I'm curious to know how many people would be against it.
This came up on the Bobby Hauck show a couple weeks ago, a caller asked Bobby if he thought they should be allowed in - Coach Hauck said no, they need to purge all of the players on their roster who didn't meet D-I eligibility requirements, that's why there is a 5 year period. I don't know how valid this is, but the coach felt very strongly about it.

Interestingly enough, in 1969 and 1970 Montana took perfect 10-0 records into the Camellia Bowl against NDSU for a shot at the D-II national Championship. In those days, however, transfer players were not allowed to play in the Camellia Bowl, and Montana's roster was heavy with transfer players, and both trips ended in losses.

Maybe if all NDSU players who did not meet D-I requirements when they started (if any) were prohibited from playing I could see allowing NDSU in the playoffs.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Getting better every week, I did catch the line about QB health. I even agreed with most of your picks! (Not b/c you picked UD either as I wouldn't pick us this week, hope I'm wrong).

FargoBison
October 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
This came up on the Bobby Hauck show a couple weeks ago, a caller asked Bobby if he thought they should be allowed in - Coach Hauck said no, they need to purge all of the players on their roster who didn't meet D-I eligibility requirements, that's why there is a 5 year period. I don't know how valid this is, but the coach felt very strongly about it.

Interestingly enough, in 1969 and 1970 Montana took perfect 10-0 records into the Camellia Bowl against NDSU for a shot at the D-II national Championship. In those days, however, transfer players were not allowed to play in the Camellia Bowl, and Montana's roster was heavy with transfer players, and both trips ended in losses.

Maybe if all NDSU players who did not meet D-I requirements when they started (if any) were prohibited from playing I could see allowing NDSU in the playoffs.

It wouldn't matter because it isn't about ineligable players it is about keeping schools out of DI. If ineligable players were an issue then NDSU's volleyball and wrestling teams wouldn't have been allowed to compete last year for postseason titles. If you didn't know a school is allowed to pick one mens and one womens sport and fast track it but of course it can't be football or basketball because those are two sports that spur movement into DI.

Also, despite not even being from the same organization the NCAA allows NAIA schools exemptions if they show they meet DII requirements. For example the U or Mary in ND was granted full admission into DII in what was their 2nd year of transition.

McTailGator
October 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I would NOT be against it.

As long as all the players that NDSU uses in the playoffs would have met the same classroom standards to play D-I ball from the time they signed until the playoffs started.

I'd bet there aren't many that would be effected anyway.

Syntax Error
October 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Coach Bohl was also quoted on a Minnesota radio show stating "If we can't be in the playoffs, by gosh we can win the championship through a vote."xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

Syntax Error
October 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
And that mindset will always be around. I am sure that there will be voters out there that vote for them if they end up being the only team without a loss.Point is you CAN'T win a championship through a vote.

Syntax Error
October 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Right, but to an outside fan that looks at rankings they wouls see the team that did not win a championship getting first place votes over the team that won.
Its not right, but it will happenI predict NDSU will not be #1 in the AGS Poll and only the truly ignorant would give them a #1 vote after a team goes through the four week gauntlet of the D-I Football Championships and wins the title, while NDSU didn't even play a playoff team all year (yet anyway). No offense to NDSU peops and I know they understand.

Gil Dobie
October 26th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I predict NDSU will not be #1 in the AGS Poll and only the truly ignorant would give them a #1 vote after a team goes through the four week gauntlet of the D-I Football Championships and wins the title, while NDSU didn't even play a playoff team all year (yet anyway). No offense to NDSU peops and I know they understand.

More Bison Bashing
xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

FCS Go!
October 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
More Bison Bashing
xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Voting a team #1 that does not participate in the playoffs and has played no playoff teams seems pretty unsound to me.

Gil Dobie
October 26th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Voting a team #1 that does not participate in the playoffs and has played no playoff teams seems pretty unsound to me.

That's not what I'm shaking my head at. There's a difference between being a homer and being called truly ignorant. :(