PDA

View Full Version : TSN Discussion

cats2506
October 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM
How come we are not allowed to discuss the writings of the Executive Director at TSN. I believe it is a legitimate discussion item. TSN has been the preeminent source of new isn FCS (I-AA) for many years. The output put of this organization should be a relivent topic for this board to discuss. Every time a discussion comes up it is either moved to smack or deleted. I have read that thread but I don’t see any smack, whether it be team against team or conference against conference. Are the admins and mods of this board so closely aligned with TSN that we are not allowed a realistic discussion of this issue? I am wondering is the result would be the same if there were a discussion about a competitor to TSN

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31504

JayJ79
October 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I could see having issues if the thread was deleted.
But who cares if it is moved to the Smack forum?

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM
... TSN has been the preeminent source of new isn FCS (I-AA) for many years. ...Nope.

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
stop turning all threads about TSN into a smack fest towards Coulson and there wouldnt be a problem.

griz37
October 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM
According to Coulson he is TSN. Read this thread from Egriz.

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/topic27658.php

walliver
October 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
According to Coulson he is TSN. Read this thread from Egriz.

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/topic27658.php

I'm not surprised it is a one-man show. In fact, I frequently wonder how TSN stays in business at all (I guess they make money off the ads on their site).

dungeonjoe
October 24th, 2007, 04:09 PM
How come we are not allowed to discuss the writings of the Executive Director at TSN. I believe it is a legitimate discussion item. TSN has been the preeminent source of new isn FCS (I-AA) for many years. The output put of this organization should be a relivent topic for this board to discuss. Every time a discussion comes up it is either moved to smack or deleted. I have read that thread but I don’t see any smack, whether it be team against team or conference against conference. Are the admins and mods of this board so closely aligned with TSN that we are not allowed a realistic discussion of this issue? I am wondering is the result would be the same if there were a discussion about a competitor to TSN

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31504
cats, plain and simple, it does not belong in FCS (which is what i said in my post on that thread). If it were civil, perhaps the lounge, but it has become a Coulson pile-on, so the smack board is where it belongs now. If it becomes all smack then it will be deleted. That would happen if it were you, me, or anyone else as the subject.

There is a difference in discussion and piling on. That line was crossed at about page 5 of the thread.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 04:09 PM
According to Coulson he is TSN.SNW has always had only one person writing about the FCS. Just so happens that Coulson is the most experienced and unbiased of the past few guys. He has been writing FCS nationally for years.

Guess no one enjoyed that feature article about the longest home winning streak in NCAA football ending. I wonder what you thought about his recap article?
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4109202.htm

griz37
October 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
SNW has always had only one person writing about the FCS. Just so happens that Coulson is the most experienced and unbiased of the past few guys. He has been writing FCS nationally for years.

Who were Tony Moss & Matt Daughtery biased towards? We all know Mr. C is an App St. homer.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Who were Tony Moss & Matt Daughtery biased towards? We all know Mr. C is an App St. homer.Oh do "we"????????? Well, Coulson wrote a history book on App St, Moss wrote a book on a season of Villanova, Dougherty is the SID at the Patriot League...

cats2506
October 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
cats, plain and simple, it does not belong in FCS (which is what i said in my post on that thread). If it were civil, perhaps the lounge, but it has become a Coulson pile-on, so the smack board is where it belongs now. If it becomes all smack then it will be deleted. That would happen if it were you, me, or anyone else as the subject.

There is a difference in discussion and piling on. That line was crossed at about page 5 of the thread.

It does not belong in FCS?

So TSN is not related to FCS. Yet they have the most often used POLL, and manage the several FCS awards, and have what in the past was probably the most read column on the FCS. How is a discussion of their performance and biases not a relevant discussion under FCS?

Coulson is the ED of TSN so any failings of TSN are happening under his watch. A large group of fans from throughout the FCS world are noticing these failings. It should be natural that if an organization with as much influence in the FCS is failing in their responsibilities then FCS fans would want to discuss it. In my opinion the allegations of bias are founded in his own writings and can not be denied.

You still have not answered what exactly is his affiliation with this message board and why the mods here are protecting him.

JayJ79
October 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Guess no one enjoyed that feature article about the longest home winning streak in NCAA football ending. I wonder what you thought about his recap article?
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4109202.htm

For me (and I'm guessing for some others too), the App State article rubbed me the wrong way because it was filed as "around the FCS". And thus that led me to believe that it would be the only post-weekend article. As there is generally two "Around the FCS" articles a week: one summarizing the games around the FCS the past weekend, and one previewing the matchups around the FCS in the upcoming weekend.

Mr. Coulson also writes articles summarizing single games (usually the ones he attends), but they aren't filed as "Around the FCS".

If he had filed the App State story as one of those, I'm guessing there would have been fewer upset people.

griz37
October 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Oh do "we"????????? Well, Coulson wrote a history book on App St, Moss wrote a book on a season of Villanova, Dougherty is the SID at the Patriot League...

Dougherty got the job at the Patriot League after he left the SN & Tony Moss's book chronicles the '05 Villanova football team which is a couple of years removed from his SN days, so I fail to see how that proves that either was a homer.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Dougherty got the job at the Patriot League after he left the SN & Tony Moss's book chronicles the '05 Villanova football team which is a couple of years removed from his SN days, so I fail to see how that proves that either was a homer.You obviously want to argue and call people homers, I don't.

griz37
October 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
You obviously want to argue and call people homers, I don't.

Just admit I am right! :p

FCS Go!
October 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
For me (and I'm guessing for some others too), the App State article rubbed me the wrong way because it was filed as "around the FCS". And thus that led me to believe that it would be the only post-weekend article. As there is generally two "Around the FCS" articles a week: one summarizing the games around the FCS the past weekend, and one previewing the matchups around the FCS in the upcoming weekend.

Mr. Coulson also writes articles summarizing single games (usually the ones he attends), but they aren't filed as "Around the FCS".

If he had filed the App State story as one of those, I'm guessing there would have been fewer upset people.

Yes, exactly. If the article had been titled just "Streak Breakers" or whatever it would be OK but to have it appear to be the feature wrap up for the week invited the pile on.

I still just don't like the hometown style of his writing/reporting. I really feel like I'm reading a crotchety local columnist. The App St streak/armanti sucks article was a departure from the norm though- it read more like an emotional Monday morning QB on the local team's message board. Not my cup of tea I guess. Hopefully FCS on TSN will live through it. Tea time! xcoffeex

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, exactly. If the article had been titled just "Streak Breakers" or whatever it would be OK but to have it appear to be the feature wrap up for the week invited the pile on.
I still just don't like the hometown style of his writing/reporting. I really feel like I'm reading a crotchety local columnist. The App St streak/armanti sucks article was a departure from the norm though- it read more like an emotional Monday morning QB on the local team's message board. Not my cup of tea I guess. Hopefully FCS on TSN will live through it. Tea time! xcoffeexThis type of stuff reads like App-Envy. They had the longest streak, one of the longest in NCAA history. It was broken. That calls for an article. The article was titled "Streak Busters." It did not "appear to be the feature wrap up for the week." That article came out the next day. Tea time! xcoffeex

FCS Go!
October 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
This type of stuff reads like App-Envy. They had the longest streak, one of the longest in NCAA history. It was broken. That calls for an article. The article was titled "Streak Busters." It did not "appear to be the feature wrap up for the week." That article came out the next day. Tea time! xcoffeex

IIRC the article was called "Around the FCS: Streak Busters". There was very little "around the fcs" in the article. Sure the streak merits an article. It just appeared that it was the feature article for the week. I guess I'm just not used to Coulson stringing out his articles all through the week or how he is organizing his reports.

grizbeer
October 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
This type of stuff reads like App-Envy. They had the longest streak, one of the longest in NCAA history. It was broken. That calls for an article. The article was titled "Streak Busters." It did not "appear to be the feature wrap up for the week." That article came out the next day. Tea time! xcoffeex
Just curious, who has the longest streak now? It wasn't in the article, and I am curious if anyone else is close, does anyone know? I know ASU's 20 game winning streak tied Montana's 30 game winning streak for 5th longest (though that wasn't in the article), and I know Southern conference mate Ga. Southern holds the record at 39, but who (and how many games) were the streaks holders 2 - 4? It was cool to read the last game before the streak started, what other close calls were there during the streak?

It would have been cool if the column about the end of the streak included more information on the streak itself, and maybe put more of the game report in the weekly Around the FCS, but in fairness I would probably find somethigng to bitch about then too.

JayJ79
October 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Just curious, who has the longest streak now?

Longest overall winning streak in Division 1: 11 wins by NDSU (although they are technically provisional)
Otherwise, the longest streak is 8 wins:
FBS: Hawaii, Ohio State, Boston College. FCS: Northern Iowa, San Diego

Longest home winning streak in Division 1: 23 wins by San Diego (of course, most all those would be against non-scholly teams, so take it as you will)
Otherwise, in the FBS:
LSU - 18 home wins, Ohio State - 17 home wins, Boston College - 16 home wins
and in the FCS:
UMass - 12 home wins

Got my info from the ncaa stats pages: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/mainpage.jsp?year=2007

blueballs
October 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Just curious, who has the longest streak now? It wasn't in the article, and I am curious if anyone else is close, does anyone know? I know ASU's 20 game winning streak tied Montana's 30 game winning streak for 5th longest (though that wasn't in the article), and I know Southern conference mate Ga. Southern holds the record at 39, but who (and how many games) were the streaks holders 2 - 4? It was cool to read the last game before the streak started, what other close calls were there during the streak?

It would have been cool if the column about the end of the streak included more information on the streak itself, and maybe put more of the game report in the weekly Around the FCS, but in fairness I would probably find somethigng to bitch about then too.

Georgia Southern also holds the second longest home winning streak at 38, from the second home game in 1985 to the second home game of 1990.

GRZZ
October 24th, 2007, 05:55 PM
You obviously want to argue and call people homers, I don't.

Ralph?

GOKATS
October 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Ralph?

I thought the same thing earlier.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Guys I thought Tony was very good and Matt was outstanding (emailed them both numerous times) and I never really saw any real favoritism - David is a quality writer but please remember he has been on the APP beat for almost 20 years - one doesn't leave all that behind overnight. He has a very good piece today "Northern Exposure" - Give him some time!!!

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Tony and Matt did a great job. They did come into the job "wet behind the ears" which Coulson did not. It is a difference but I still like the column the Sports Network does. It's just different.

placidlakegriz
October 24th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Tony and Matt did a great job. They did come into the job "wet behind the ears" which Coulson did not. It is a difference but I still like the column the Sports Network does. It's just different.

Syntax Error are you Ralph??? And if so why not post under your orginal handle??