PDA

View Full Version : CSN West: Who is Best in the West -- or Should We Say All of FCS -- This Year?

CSN-info
October 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM
CSN West: Who is Best in the West -- or Should We Say All of FCS -- This Year?
Kent Schmidt, CSN Columnist

Right now, the three top teams in FCS (at least according to the Sports Network and FCS Coaches Poll rankings) are from West of the Mississippi River, the traditional dividing line between the East and the West in the United States. And four of the top five in those polls plus the AGS Poll can make that claim. Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, Montana, and McNeese State remain undefeated and any of the four could really make claim to the top spot in all of FCS.

READ MORE...

DetroitFlyer
October 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Gee, another diss of USD.... I am just so surprised!xrolleyesx

CSN-info
October 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Gee, another diss of USD.... I am just so surprised!xrolleyesxThere was no "diss" of USD. It simply said it would be a discussion of the four 'West' teams in the top five who are undefeated.

USDFAN_55
October 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
There was no "diss" of USD. It simply said it would be a discussion of the four 'West' teams in the top five who are undefeated.

"but are a non-scholarship team so I won’t discuss them any further in terms of the top FCS team."

Sounds like a diss to mexnodx

CSN-info
October 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM
"but are a non-scholarship team so I won’t discuss them any further in terms of the top FCS team."
Sounds like a diss to mexnodxIs this a 'diss' to UMass as well?
Since UMass has a loss (and not in the ‘West’), I will keep my discussion of the best team to these four undefeated teams that remain in the FCS ranks from West of the Mississippi River.

DetroitFlyer
October 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
You slammed USD, plain and simple!

Make all the excuses you want, the bias here is significant! Fortunately, you have folks like me to call you out on it.... It sure is good to live in a free society!xnodx

USDFAN_55
October 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Is this a 'diss' to UMass as well?

Not even close to what you said about USD. You basically said USD is not worth mentioning as a top team because they are non-scholarship. If a team is good they are good.... it shouldn't matter if they have scholarships.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Not even close to what you said about USD. You basically said USD is not worth mentioning as a top team because they are non-scholarship. If a team is good they are good.... it shouldn't matter if they have scholarships.Sounds like Schmidt was discussing four of the top five teams in the country, USD is not one of those. USD IS non-scholarship and that was noted. Some of the members here want to turn any mention of USD (who didn't need to be mentioned at all in the article) into a disrespect of their program. xrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
October 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Sounds like Schmidt was discussing four of the top five teams in the country, USD is not one of those. USD IS non-scholarship and that was noted. Some of the members here want to turn any mention of USD (who didn't need to be mentioned at all in the article) into a disrespect of their program. xrolleyesx

He could of just said there is another team in the west that is undefeated, San Diego, that won't be discussed further; the article will focus on the teams that are ranked in the top 5.

Very simple to word it like that, and then there is no diss on USD for being non-scholarship. The point is very clear that USD will not be discussed because the focus of the article will be on the top 5 teams. xreadx

USDTorero
October 24th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Northern Iowa seems to have a fantastic O-line along with an above average passing attack and an unstoppable running game. Northern Iowa and San Diego both handled Drake with ease. If we consider Northern Iowa the top team in the nation, and if USD could not possibly be mentioned in the same breath as the top teams, maybe USD can find its way into top 20 in the polls. Don't hate the players, hate the AD.

Houndawg
October 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Northern Iowa seems to have a fantastic O-line along with an above average passing attack and an unstoppable running game. Northern Iowa and San Diego both handled Drake with ease. If we consider Northern Iowa the top team in the nation, and if USD could not possibly be mentioned in the same breath as the top teams, maybe USD can find its way into top 20 in the polls. Don't hate the players, hate the AD.

I sure hope that you aren't trying to insinuate that UNI and USD are in the same league because they both beat Drake. Nobody is stopping you but yourselves. Maybe you have a great team, maybe not. Can't tell by your schedule.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM
USD gets their mention...

I should also discuss a fifth undefeated team that also resides in the West briefly in San Diego, who holds the top spot in the FCS Mid-Major rankings but are a non-scholarship team so I won’t discuss them any further in terms of the top FCS team.

USD does not have an argument to be #1 in the land. The others team do. How hard is that to understand?

USDFAN_55
October 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM
USD gets their mention...

USD does not have an argument to be #1 in the land. The others team do. How hard is that to understand?

I don't think anyone was saying they should be discussed as a #1 contender. Just pointing out that USD was dissed because they are non-scholarship. See my previous post to see how it could have been worded.

DetroitFlyer
October 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM
The problem here is that the bias is so ingrained in folks like TT, ( and the writer of the article ), that they cannot even begin to see it.... What looks perfectly normal to them is not even close to OK for those of us bold enough to point it out! Of course that is the beauty of a forum like this.... We do have the opportunity to point out the bias. Some may never choose to open their eyes, but it will not stop me from trying!xnodx

JayJ79
October 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Mary Hardin-Baylor has an undefeated football team too!

who cares.

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Wichita State hasn't lost a football game this year.
But then,
They haven't played anybody!
:D

uofmman1122
October 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM
The problem here is that the bias is so ingrained in folks like me, ( unlike the writer of the article and other members ), that they cannot possibly see it.... What is perfectly easy for other people to see is not even close to OK for those of us bold enough to make a giant stink out of nothing! Of course that is the beauty of a forum like this.... We do have the opportunity to try to hide our bias while chastising others. I may never choose to open my eyes, but it will not stop me from complaining!xnodxFixed it for you.

Syntax Error
October 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Fixed it for you.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

crunifan
October 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM
The 45-7 Drake score doesn't even begin to show the beating UNI gave.

We took a knee at the end as to not run up the score. It was at Drake. And the first string really didn't play much at all in the entire second half of the game. Plus, being an instate rival I'm sure they were pumped to try and knock off "Iowa's mythical State Champion!"

Chi Panther
October 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Send and email to Drake's SID and ask who they think is the better team.....

Dallas Demon
October 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
There's a simple solution to SD's problem. Join either the Big Sky Conference or the Great West Conference. No need to complain here, talk to your administration.

BisonBacker
October 24th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Gee, another diss of USD.... I am just so surprised!xrolleyesx

I did not see a diss of the University of South Dakota xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Is there another USD?

FCSFAN
October 25th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I did not see a diss of the University of South Dakota xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Is there another USD?There is only one in FCS. University of San Diego. This ain't D-II. xrulesx

slostang
October 25th, 2007, 12:33 AM
There's a simple solution to SD's problem. Join either the Big Sky Conference or the Great West Conference. No need to complain here, talk to your administration.

The GWFC would love to have them.xthumbsupx

SeattleGriz
October 25th, 2007, 02:12 AM
The 45-7 Drake score doesn't even begin to show the beating UNI gave.

We took a knee at the end as to not run up the score. It was at Drake. And the first string really didn't play much at all in the entire second half of the game. Plus, being an instate rival I'm sure they were pumped to try and knock off "Iowa's mythical State Champion!"

Boring!!! xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Good gravy, three cofee's.

BisonBacker
October 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
There is only one in FCS. University of San Diego. This ain't D-II. xrulesx
Well then tell this "USD" program to stop playing a DII and DIII schedule xrulesx

McTailGator
October 26th, 2007, 08:58 AM

I agree,

If USD wants respect they need to give up that CLUB SPORTS schedule and play a real one.

UNTIL THEN,

PLEASE FIND A CLUB SPORTS MESSAGE BOARD TO COMPLAIN ON!xmadx

Bison_Kent
October 26th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I could have said nothing about USD. I felt it was at least worth mentioning that they are also undefeated but were not in the discussion as one of the top four or five teams in the country like the others.

DetroitFlyer
October 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, so instead you had to say something with a derogatory spin. Gee thanks for being so kind as to even mention a PFL team in your article. We PFL fans are just soooooooooooooooo grateful that you were willing to mention one of our teams in your article.... Thank you, thank you, thank you, we are just so happy!!!!!xrolleyesx xcoolx

Grizzaholic
October 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I would love to see Montana play SD!

FormerPokeCenter
October 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I would love to see Montana play SD!

LOL, which Division II school are you going to bump off your home schedule to make room for them? ;)

lizrdgizrd
October 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, so instead you had to say something with a derogatory spin. Gee thanks for being so kind as to even mention a PFL team in your article. We PFL fans are just soooooooooooooooo grateful that you were willing to mention one of our teams in your article.... Thank you, thank you, thank you, we are just so happy!!!!!xrolleyesx xcoolx
Yeah, so when everyone stops mentioning you guys you'll just complain that nobody even mentions you. Can't have it both ways. xnonox

Grizzaholic
October 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
LOL, which Division II school are you going to bump off your home schedule to make room for them? ;)

Not quite sure as of right now. We are debating about dropping to NAIA so we can play Carrol and maybe a few high school teams. Nothing too hard but still draw a good crowd. If we never have to leave the state of Montana to play our games the fans can go to every game. And if we pay the other teams enough money maybe we could get a 10 game home stand every season and never have to leave Missoula.:D

grizbeer
October 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
LOL, which Division II school are you going to bump off your home schedule to make room for them? ;)Heard the Griz were trying to get out of that West Virgina Tech game - wait, that was you guys.:p

FormerPokeCenter
October 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Heard the Griz were trying to get out of that West Virgina Tech game - wait, that was you guys.:p

Yeah, but we only play one game like that every five years or so. We don't pad the ENTIRE home OOC schedule with them ;)