PDA

View Full Version : Weatherford or Lee to the FCS?

Smendy
October 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I was checking out a site and they mentioned that Florida State has changed quarterbacks again -- Weatherford will replace Lee, who started the season on the bench.

Both are redshirt juniors and both are NFL prospects, so it's likely one will transfer. I'm thinking if either Lee or Weatherford hits the FCS "free agent market" there will be a bunch of schools (particualarly in the South -- Georgia Southern, App.State, ect) that will fight to sign them xrulesx

P.S: Saw this story in Draftdaddy.com's blog (Monday's notes)

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

I love their work covering the small schoolers (best on the Net), but I think they are waaaay off base suggesting either Lee or Weatherford can just waltz onto an FCS roster and "dominate" right off the bat....Matt Guttierez (sp?) struggled some at Idaho State after coming from Michigan....That huge quarterback from Washington State was "okay" at Montana last season, but he wasn't super special, after dropping down a level -- Berquist will be better. I'm sure I can think of many more instances like this..xcoffeex

walliver
October 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I was checking out a site and they mentioned that Florida State has changed quarterbacks again -- Weatherford will replace Lee, who started the season on the bench.

Both are redshirt juniors and both are NFL prospects, so it's likely one will transfer. I'm thinking if either Lee or Weatherford hits the FCS "free agent market" there will be a bunch of schools (particualarly in the South -- Georgia Southern, App.State, ect) that will fight to sign them xrulesx

I think App State is set at quarterback for 2 more years.xbawlingx

Elon is set for 3 yearsxbawlingx .xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx
UTC takes a fair number of transfers and would be the most likely SoCon team. Western has a rising star freshmen, but might have interest. The Citadel has taken a number of 5th year senior quarterbacks in the past, but that was apparently unpopular with many alumni, and I doubt they would be interested. Furman took Ingle Martin a few years ago, but isn't very likely to pick up a player for one year only. Wofford has not taken a FBS transfer and probably wouldn't start with these guys.

Smendy
October 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Good points...Maybe I'm thinking too regional (South)...If either Lee or Weatherford hits the "free agent market' the perfect schools would be out west, where they thow the ball a ton.

Portland State would be perfect for either, if they decided to jump down, because.....

1) Vikings have an Ex-NFL coach and love to air it out
2) Their QB, a Colorado transfer, is leaving
3) They are desperately looking to market the program, in oder to move to the WAC!

putter
October 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Didn't the NCAA change the transfer rules to disallow 1 year drop-down transfers? Swogger at Montana would not be allowed to do that now and I think it is a good thing. Get kids to transfer as after their sophomore seasons so, at least the program they are going to will get them for 2 years.

ysubigred
October 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Y-Town needs any help we can get. We'll have a JR QB next year with a hand full of snaps but always seems to be hurt and a great freshman prospect from Indy. Not sure if we're going to get Williams in at QB or just leave him as the SLASH xnonono2x

appfan2008
October 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
not sure where one might go but not app st... we are set :)

Franks Tanks
October 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM
They both stink

bluehenbillk
October 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM
You have to have 2 years left to transfer.

blueballs
October 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Lee's dad was quoted in the Orlando Sentinel a few months ago stating that he had the table set for Lee to transfer to BCC, which conveniently is located in Lee's hometown, over the past summer. Xavier wouldn't go and chose to stay at FSU and compete for the position (good for him).

I can't speak for Weatherford but I can't see either of them transferring at all and certainly not until after spring practice.

HIU 93
October 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Lee's dad was quoted in the Orlando Sentinel a few months ago stating that he had the table set for Lee to transfer to BCC, which conveniently is located in Lee's hometown, over the past summer. Xavier wouldn't go and chose to stay at FSU and compete for the position (good for him).

I can't speak for Weatherford but I can't see either of them transferring at all and certainly not until after spring practice.

Xavier Lee- if you want to transfer to the MEAC, come to Hampton. Our current QB transfer is not working out so well, and we don't want to compete against you.xlolx

BestOfBreed
October 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM
They both stink

I agree.

walliver
October 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Actually, to transfer to a FCS school with only one year of eligibility left, either one of them would have to graduate from FSU (does anybody do that:D ) and then enroll in graduate school to play at an FCS school (unless the NCAA changes the rules againxnodx ).

McNeese75
October 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
They could always go to Sam Houston State :D

Sorry TT, couldn't help myself :p

LehighFan11
October 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Neither will transfer because they keep flip flopping qbs. One week Lee starts and the next week Weatherford does. Weatherford blows and doesn't have NFL potential. Lee is raw talent and physically gifen and will most likely start next year.

Smendy
October 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for rules clarifications....I guess they can transfer, but they must graduate first....If that happens, then either (or both) can actually just transfer to any 1-A school they want to, so a move to the FCS would almost assuredly be out of the question.

I hate to change the subject, but I don't totally agree with those that say Lee and Weatherford stink.....I think F.S.U.'s talent on offense is wildly overrated -- poor line, unenergetic receivers, no tight ends and nothing special at running back....Not to mention how bad the coaching was with Jeff Bowden as the O.C.

While I don't think they are great, they seem to be easy scapegoats for F.S.U. fans who refuse to acknowledge Bowden has done a poor job in recent years xpeacex

Big Dawg
October 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Not to mention his dad played ball at BCC

seantaylor
October 25th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Neither one is any good. It's like picking between Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich. I'd take Weatherford if I absolutely had to pick one.

mrklean
October 25th, 2007, 05:31 AM
The last real QB FSU has had was ole #17 from Thomasville, GA.

813Jag
October 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Lee wanted to leave before the spring but Jimbo Fisher talked him into staying. Neither is leaving now.

pete4256
October 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
The last real QB FSU has had was ole #17 from Thomasville, GA.

I didn't know that Hesiman Trophy winner Chris Weinke wore #17 or was from Thomasville.