PDA

View Full Version : Offensive trends

appstate38
October 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
With more and more teams running a wide open spread offense, how long do you think it will last? Secondly will we ever see a return of the power running teams that ran out of an I-back formation? Finally what will be the next wave to take over offensive stragedy once Defensive coordinators devise a way to stop the spread offense?

UNHWildCats
October 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
if someone can devise a plan to stop a spread offense, im sure that 9 NFL head coaches would love to know how before their games with the Patriots :p

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
UNI ran quite a few plays out of the I-formation (including putting backup linemen in the backfield as blocking backs) as they ran over WIU this past weekend.

Always fun to see some good ole smashmouth football.

CID1990
October 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
We have been showing multiple sets, including the I formation in running situations.

citdog
October 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
We have been showing multiple sets, including the I formation in running situations.

with one huge fullback, Reese the DL!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Houndawg
October 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
SIU runs some I with #62 lead blocking. It's always going to be strength to counter speed and vice versa. Put a lot of DBs on the field and the O will attack between the tackles with runs.

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
asu hasnt been under center all year... it sure has worked for us each of the last two years and i guess we will continue to do it for a long time

Seven Would Be Nice
October 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
I think the Spread formations will be around for a while longer, but eventually I think you will see the shift back to smash mouth "here is the play we are going to run, try and stop us" kind of attitude.

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
I think the Spread formations will be around for a while longer, but eventually I think you will see the shift back to smash mouth "here is the play we are going to run, try and stop us" kind of attitude.
It sounds like you saw some of Brandon Jacobs rookie year with the New York Giants.

ngineer
October 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I just wish we any kind of offensive trend....xsmhx

pantherfan
October 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
With more and more teams running a wide open spread offense, how long do you think it will last? Secondly will we ever see a return of the power running teams that ran out of an I-back formation? Finally what will be the next wave to take over offensive stragedy once Defensive coordinators devise a way to stop the spread offense?

UNI has shown a "smashmouth" formation or two this season. Come playoff time, it's always comforting to know that your team has an excellent chance on those 3rd and 4th and shorts by just lining up and ramming the ball forward...xthumbsupx

BULLDOG8180
October 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I think teams will devise different variations of different offenses, sorta like Wofford does. Run some spread, triple option, and power. Also, throw in some mis-direction.

spelunker64
October 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Power running can't work in this day and age. xsmiley_wix xrolleyesx

walliver
October 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM
As more and more teams go to the spread pass offense, defenses will find a way to slow it down, and running will become more important. The old offenses themselves will probably not return, but there will be variations. (Most of today's spread offenses are variations on the single wing)

OL FU
October 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
As more and more teams go to the spread pass offense, defenses will find a way to slow it down, and running will become more important. The old offenses themselves will probably not return, but there will be variations. (Most of today's spread offenses are variations on the single wing)

I agree with the eventual change in the offense. Hasn't that been the way of football through out its history. The wing, hard nose running, the option and wishbone, the run and shoot, etc. Defenses have always caught up eventually which leads to the next thing.

skinny_uncle
October 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
SIU runs some I with #62 lead blocking. It's always going to be strength to counter speed and vice versa. Put a lot of DBs on the field and the O will attack between the tackles with runs.
I think you mean #61 Aaron Lockwood who is normally an offensive guard. A 300 pound lead blocker can be effective.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper1096/stills/0ms1369d.jpg

terrierbob
October 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I think you mean #61 Aaron Lockwood who is normally an offensive guard. A 300 pound lead blocker can be effective.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper1096/stills/0ms1369d.jpg

He looks like he's fantasizing about a chili dog. Or three.

McNeese72
October 24th, 2007, 05:55 PM

McNeese does both. We run the spread a lot and we, also, still line up and run out of the I some. Hell, we out rushed a triple option team, Nicholls, last game doing it.

Doc

McNeese game videos online (http://www.tarvermedia.com/)

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Furman is kind of an odd bird. The Paladins will shift offensive identities from game to game and series to series.

The Paladins, unlike a lot of teams, are an old boy network of sorts. I don't think they have had a head coach that wasn't a Paladin assistant since the early 80s. Several of the coaches played for Furman. It's a system, its what we do, and its worked so far.