PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings---Week 8

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
The end of October is near and Halloween is just around the corner. Spooks? Ghosts? Goblins? Naw, just means that we are heading down the stretch to the end of the season. Still, a lot of football to be played within the Big Sky conference and a lot of games still left to decide who will win this thing. So, here are the power rankings for the Big Sky for this week. Last week's rankings in parenthesis...

1. Montana (1)---Griz win big last week (52-7) over Northern Colorado, but then again, they should have, right? Good offense, good defense, good game, but then again, you could say that about any team the Bears have played against. One could also say that the Griz season begins this weekend with a trip to Northern Arizona.

2. Montana State (2)---Pretty spooky, the Cats looked poised to let Sacramento State get a win in Bozeman. Then, once again, someone woke up the offense and they pulled it out. Still, a win keeps them in second, but still near to the rest of the field. This week, a trip to Greeley to take on Northern Colorado, or is it just a glorified bye week.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles stayed with FBS power Brigham Young for a little over a half, but could not keep up in the scoring column to pull off an upset. Still, it was BYU and the loss did not hurt them as much. This week, a return to conference play with a trip to Sacramento State. Can they keep up with the big dogs?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---The Jacks moved pretty well through the Weber State defense (and the snow) until the fourth where they let the Wildcats have a chance for the win. Still, a win on the road is a good win, especially at this point in the year. Confidence is brewing as they welcome Montana to Flagstaff for homecoming festivities. Will the Jacks get the win over the big bad Grizzlies?

5. Weber State (6)---A loss but a good loss for the Wildcats against Northern Arizona. A conference foe finally managed more than one touchdown against the Wildcat defense, but NAU did not run away and the Wildcats had a chance at the end for the win. This week, another conference game against an explosive offense as they head to Portland State. Can they slow down the Vikings?

6. Idaho State (8)---What a difference a quarter makes. The Bengal defense starts the second half with two fumble recoveries, both returned for touchdowns, and totally destroyed Portland State's will to win. A great win to jumpstart the season. This week, the odd bug hits the Bengals as they go out of conference and welcome Cal Poly to Pocatello. Can they make the conference proud as Cal Poly has not lost to the Big Sky yet this year?

7. Portland State (5)---Sputter, sputter, poof! The old car just blew up. So goes the trials of Vikings football at Idaho State last week. The offense could not get anything going and the defense was demoralized by the antics of the third quarter. Now what is left for Glanville and Co. Welcome that ferocious defense of Weber State to Portland this week. Maybe it will rain.

8. Sacramento State (7)---The Hornets don't deserve this, but another close game against them has pushed them to the brink of the basement. They had Montana State on the ropes, in Bozeman, yet the Hornets found another way to lose. So much promise, yet only one win so far. Can they get the second this week when Eastern Washington comes to Sacramento? They have the talent, do they have the drive?

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Once again, the Bears are at the bottom and losing ground quickly. Another blowout, this time to struggling Montana. What is next? Montana State comes to town, another struggling (and at times, offensively challenged) conference foe. Feel good time for the Cats, or do the Bears have what it takes to pull an upset?

Griz comfortably in front, 2-4 still tightly bunched, and 5-7 in a separate bunch. Playoffs are looming, someone needs to make a move in order for the conference to get an at large bid. Who will it be?

FCS Go!
October 22nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Looks nearly spot on to me. I'd swap PSU and Sac cause one never knows what will show up on the field with PSU. Sac seems relatively consistent.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
nau or msu or ewu needs a sig win (montana) or the big sky will be a one bid conference

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
nau or msu or ewu needs a sig win (montana) or the big sky will be a one bid conference

While I agree in principle, EWU could also win out and get a look, even if Montana somehow manages to run the table....That would definitely leave NAU on the outside looking in, and MSU most likely as well.... xcoolx

cats2506
October 22nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Lotta "IF's" still left in the Big Sky. um is in front but is not dominating. NAU, MSU nad EWU are still very mich in it, I put PSU as the spoiler that may ruin one or more of these teams chances.

CopperCat
October 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM

Somehow at this point, I don't think so.

RE/MAXGriz
October 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
I'd swap NAU and EWU. Northern Arizona has been scoring lights out and is tied to lead the FCS in interceptions (16) - one guy leads the the FCS with 6 picks. Currently NAU has a conference record than every team in the Big Sky except Montana and they've looked good in their wins and have only had one bad loss (Sac). MSU & UM have looked sluggish at times on offense and EWU has lost to PSU, UM, & BYU - their only "big" win is against MSU.

Peems
October 23rd, 2007, 12:15 AM
I'd swap NAU and EWU. Northern Arizona has been scoring lights out and is tied to lead the FCS in interceptions (16) - one guy leads the the FCS with 6 picks. Currently NAU has a conference record than every team in the Big Sky except Montana and they've looked good in their wins and have only had one bad loss (Sac). MSU & UM have looked sluggish at times on offense and EWU has lost to PSU, UM, & BYU - their only "big" win is against MSU.

Agree, NAU is in second place, and they should swap with EWU(for the time being)

already123
October 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Agree, NAU is in second place, and they should swap with EWU(for the time being)

Which begs the questions....what the H3LL happened at SAC?!xconfusedx xeekx xsmhx

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Which begs the questions....what the H3LL happened at SAC?!xconfusedx xeekx xsmhx

I wish I knew - that loss could end up killing us.

DaGriz
October 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM

They aren't a bad team this year. Their D is real good. If they had a more veteran QB I think they would be winning a few more games.

RE/MAXGriz
October 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM

Don't sweat it for now, right now the conference is still a complete toss-up. Hey whats going on with Lionel Scott, I thought I saw that he didn't play last week, is he hurt?

GrizRchattybound
October 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Our beloved Griz play 3 of the last 4 games ont he road...

What's that old saying "Any Given Saturday?"

If the Griz win out...you cannot deny them a top 2 seed, and all the bitching and what not will be long forgotten by all.

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Out of the two teams I've seen, NAU is by far better than MSU. Thus I'd rank 'em 2 and MSU 3.

kalm
October 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Out of the two teams I've seen, NAU is by far better than MSU. Thus I'd rank 'em 2 and MSU 3.

But isn't MSU's defense better, by far?

UM, MSU, and PSU all have great size and are very similar in athleticism. I think we are a little faster at most positions. Perhaps NAU is the same.

If NAU beats UM, MSU, and Eastern in a row, they deserve the playoffs.

SeattleGriz
October 24th, 2007, 01:37 AM
But isn't MSU's defense better, by far?

UM, MSU, and PSU all have great size and are very similar in athleticism. I think we are a little faster at most positions. Perhaps NAU is the same.

If NAU beats UM, MSU, and Eastern in a row, they deserve the playoffs.

Sorry, as much as I love the Jacks, I watched them stink up the Dome every other year for six years against the Griz when I lived in Phoenix.

I just don't see it in the cards. No hate...honest.

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Up front, maybe, but not in the secondary.

kalm
October 24th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Up front, maybe, but not in the secondary.

G Pts/G Yds/G PassYds RushYds Int
Montana St. 7 16.7 353.1 1426 1046 12
Northern Arizona 8 27.3 387.1 1884 1213 17

Only in # of interceptions. The Jacks have given up a lot more points and passing yards.

kalm
October 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
A couple of other stats for NAU jump as well. They are near the bottom of the BSC in 3rd down %, but have converted 9 times on fourth down to the lead the conference. They are also the most penalized team by far.

They may be talented, but those three stats indicate that they are living dangerously.

cats2506
October 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM

I was going to say you were crazy but when I looked at the stats for the two games I can see why you say that, but keep in mind the most important stat, scoring offense vs NAU 14, vs MSU 3. Our D this year has been giving up yardage between the 20’s but has been pretty solid in the redzone, (except for the EWU game of course)

The next few weeks are going to be real interesting.

grizbeer
October 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM

???

NAU squeeked by PSU only because PSU couldn't kick an extra point, and didn't have enough confidence in their kicker at the end of the game to try and went for 2. They beat No. Colorado by 20 at home, and Weber State by 9.

If this is looking good in your wins Montana should be the concensus #1 in the country. xlolx xwhistlex

I don't know how this weekends game will turn out, but MSU will return 2 interceptions for TD, and EWU will gain 500 yards on NAU, and NAU will end up with 4 league losses.

wapiti
October 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Looks good.xthumbsupx
I would put MSU and EWU in a tie for second.
NAU would be in that tie too, but the loss @ Sac St cost them the tie.