PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Playoff Outlook-Two teams only?

Khan4Cats
October 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Four weeks still to go and the Gateway is probably down to just two teams looking at playoff chances. Albeit, both have shots at possibly earning seeds, the middle of the conference has started to cave and will continue to knock each other off, while the top two will likely pull away.

Best Chance at Play-offs:

Northern Iowa (7-0, 3-0): After destroying #17 Western Illinois, UNI returns home for 3 of their last 4 games, including finishing against winless Indiana State and Southern Utah. Last road game is against Missouri State. A Win over Youngstown State this week makes UNI eligible with 7 D-I wins and likely earns the auto-bid, unless they lose to both InSU and MSU. UNI is playing as much for a seed now as for a playoff bid.

Southern Illinois (7-1, 3-1): The Salukis have this week off before finishing at Western Illinois, hosting Illinois State and travelling OOC to Hampton. 1 win makes them eligible, run the table and they could be looking at a seed if some of the top 5 lose.

One and Dones, one more loss and these teams cannot reach 7 D-I wins:

Western Illinois (5-3, 2-1): May still be able to make the best case for an at-large, even after getting pummeled at home by UNI. Can earn a tie for the Gateway crown by running the table if UNI loses one, can get the auto still if UNI loses two. Won't be easy as they travel to Illinois State this week, then host Southern Illinois beore finishing at Youngstown.

Youngstown State (5-3, 1-2): Can still reach 7 wins but have to do it by winning at UNI this week, then the schedule gets a little easier at Indiana State, then hosting Western Illinois. If they can win this week at UNI and run the table, might have a good chance at an at-large if they finish 8-3.

Illinois State (4-4, 2-2): Toughest road of the three one-and-dones. Host Western Illinois this week before travelling to North Dakota State and Southern Illinois to finish the season. To say running the table is a longshot might be an understatement, even then at 7-4, they may have a hard time earning an at-large.

Trying to Build for Next Year:

Missouri State (4-4, 1-3): Cannot reach 7 D-I wins but finish with three home games including very winnable games against Indiana State and Southeast Missouri State. Sandwiched between them is Northern Iowa and Terry Allen would love nothing more to cap this season than a win over UNI to give his young Bears some momentum for next year.

Waiting for Basketball?:

Indiana State (0-8, 0-3): Not even much chance to build momentum for next year, a win in any of the last three would be a big upset. Play at Missouri State this week, the only team they have beaten in the last three seasons, then host Youngstown State and finish at UNI. Not sure basketball season will be any more fulfilling for Sycamore fans, as they are rebuilding with a young team and new coach there as well.

douglasdmb
October 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Yep, looks like the Gateway probably won't get more than two teams in.

MSUBear42
October 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Good post.

Saluki_man
October 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
YSU lost their best shot at the playoffs by loosing at home to the redbirds.

GannonFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yup, looks like only two. Granted, though, they are two real good ones and at least UNI will get a seed.

BearsCountry
October 22nd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Kind of a down year for the Gateway at least nationally, just to much parity in the middle of the league.

RabidRabbit
October 22nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Add SDSU & NDSU into that mix next year, and similar results will also occur.

Only difference is NDSU and UNI would be the two most likely.

SDSU would be part of the middle pack group.

bcrawf
October 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
RR,
How do you figure that SIU would not be in if the XDSU's were in the league??

saluki_in_ohio
October 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
The parity in the Gateway is amazing. It is difficult getting 7 D1 wins when almost everybody in the league is among the best FCS teams. When the Dakotas arrive next year, it is only going to get more difficult.

This is the main reason I b!tch about SIU playing the Lock Havens and Quincy's of the world. We at least should be playing FCS non-scholarship programs on our non-conference slate. This at least gives us a better chance at 7 D1 wins without sacrificing the need for a tune-up game before facing the FBS money game.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
great update... i do agrree... siu and uni will be it but they will both make it

leatherneck177
October 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Kind of a down year for the Gateway at least nationally, just to much parity in the middle of the league.

Personally I think that the league has just gotten that much better. I believe the "middle of the pack" teams in the conference have closed the gap on the top teams. With NDSU and SDSU in the Gateway next year, this conference is going to be incredibly tough week in and week out. An 8-3 team from the Gateway is going to have a heck of a playoff resume (as if they didn't already).

I also believe that as YSU rejuvenated their program the past couple of years, WIU is looking to do the same. With ISU, SIU and YSU remaining a playoff berth is possible with three straight W's but very difficult to achieve. With nearly the entire team returning in '08, that could be the year we turn the corner.