October 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. Montana
4. McNeese
5. UMass

FargoBison
October 22nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
1. NDSU(by the slimmest of margins since both can't be #1)
2. UNI
3. Umass
4. McNeese State
5. Montana

Drblankstare
October 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. UMASS
4. MONTANA
5. MCNEESE STATE

bandl
October 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
UNI
NDSU
JMU
UMASS
SIU

bluehenbillk
October 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
1- UNI
2- NDSU
3 - McNeese
4 - UMass
5- Montana

Ronin
October 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
UNI
NDSU
JMU
UMASS
SIU

Ditto

Appaholic
October 22nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
UNI
NDSU
UMass
McNeese
Montana

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
UNI
NDState

The rest (no particular order):
UMass
McNeese St.
JMU
Montana
SIU

After the top 2, the rest show that they can win consistently, although have not performed up to their collective potential yet. Anyone can make a good argument for the juggling of the teams in the rankings.

andy7171
October 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
UNI
NDSU
McNeese St
JMU
UMass
(Wofford, Montana, Southern Illinois)

Ronin
October 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Can't see Montana being in the top 10. Let alone the top 5.

1 Northern Iowa
2 North Dakota State
3 Massachusetts
4 Appalachian State
5 Southern Illinois

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM

1 Northern Iowa
2 North Dakota State
3 Massachusetts
4 Appalachian State
5 Southern Illinois

I can see an argument for not being in the top 5...but not in the top 10? you've got to be joking.

TypicalTribe
October 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
UNI
NDSU
McNeese St
JMU
UMass
(Wofford, Montana, Southern Illinois)

UNI
NDSU
Umass
McNeese
JMU

spelunker64
October 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
1. NDSU(by the slimmest of margins since both can't be #1)
2. UNI
3. Umass
4. McNeese State
5. Montana

Agreed xthumbsupx

Saluki_man
October 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
My top 7

#1 UNI (by the slimest of margins)
#2 NDSU
#3 UMASS
#4 McNeese
#5 SIU
#6 Montana
#7 JMU

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2007, 10:48 AM

1 Northern Iowa
2 North Dakota State
3 Massachusetts
4 Appalachian State
5 Southern Illinois

I'm not usually one to question things like this (because usually I'm the one being questioned). But how is ASU in the Top 5 after a loss at home to Georgia Southern with their starting QB back?

EDIT: Because I hate when people question polls without putting up their own, here's mine:

1. Northern Iowa
2. North Dakota St.
3. Southern Illinois
4. Massachusetts
5. Montana

Yes, I know...Montana hasn't played anybody...yada yada yada...but they've won like I expected them to MOST weeks.

bcrawf
October 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
1- Northern Iowa
2- North Dakota State
3- Southern Illinois
4- McNeese State
5- Montana

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not usually one to question things like this (because usually I'm the one being questioned). But how is ASU in the Top 5 after a loss at home to Georgia Southern with their starting QB back?

EDIT: Because I hate when people question polls without putting up their own, here's mine:

1. Northern Iowa
2. North Dakota St.
3. Southern Illinois
4. Massachusetts
5. Montana

Yes, I know...Montana hasn't played anybody...yada yada yada...but they've won like I expected them to MOST weeks.

Exactly! The same person specifically criticizing Montana has App state in the top five when they have two losses. I don't care that they beat Michigan they lost to a now 5-2 (2-2) Georgia Southern team at HOME

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

1 Northern Iowa
2 North Dakota State
3 Massachusetts
4 Appalachian State
5 Southern Illinois

You're an idiot then.

putter
October 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. UMass
4. McNeese
5. JMU

P.S> not having the Griz in the top 10 is just being ignorant.

DOME
October 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
UNI
NDSU
Mcneese
Montana
#5 is either SIU or UMASS
Indiana State or Minnesota could both make arguments as well.

Tillou
October 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
You guys that have McNeese in the top 5 must be joking. I was at the McNeese/Nicholls game and McNeese gave me no reason what-so-ever that there a top five team. I'll rank them in the top 10 but not in the top five. I was expecting a lot more from them giving how much hype they have about them.

Don't think Im upset that NSU lost but with the 3 turnovers and 2 missed field goals, McNeese, with a ranking of 6 at the time, should have won this game by a lot more.

Tailbone
October 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM

1 Northern Iowa
2 North Dakota State
3 Massachusetts
4 Appalachian State
5 Southern Illinois

Well, you've only been around for a month, so you might be forgiven for ignorance.
By season's end you'll understand why the Griz belong in the top 5.
You could learn the reason more quickly by reviewing the history of the I-AA/FCS over the last 15 years - at which point you would at least be informed.

Though I suspect you'll still be ignorant! :D

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Well, you've only been around for a month, so you might be forgiven for ignorance.
By season's end you'll understand why the Griz belong in the top 5.
You could learn the reason more quickly by reviewing the history of the I-AA/FCS over the last 15 years - at which point you would at least be informed.

Though I suspect you'll still be ignorant! :D

And yet he has no problem putting a 6-1 UMass team in there that has beaten.....absolutely NO ONE. xlolx xlolx xlolx

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
I just figured out what's going on. Ronin's using the Sagarin Ratings for his Top 5.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I just figured out what's going on. Ronin's using the Sagarin Ratings for his Top 5.

Then I was right....he IS an idiot. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Ronin
October 22nd, 2007, 01:18 PM

Strength of schedule.

Ronin
October 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
O' poor Griz fans, not being in the top 5 or 10. Don't worry you'll still get your undeserved home field advantage.

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Strength of schedule.

Then why isn't Southern Utah in your top 5? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Seven Would Be Nice
October 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
No one seems to include any SoCon teams.

We have FIVE teams in the top 25.
Those 5 teams have no lost any 1-AA/FCS OOC games.
At this point, we are just beating each other up.

Don't count us out yet!

Ronin
October 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Must be difficult being a Griz fan. Not knowing what will happen when you play a decent team, especially if it's on the road.

Of course that's your fondest wish is to ensure home field and a lesser ranked opponent of the first round or two. So no one will ever know.

pantheralum16
October 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. McNeese
4. UMass
5. JMU
6. Montana
7. SIU

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Must be difficult being a Griz fan. Not knowing what will happen when you play a decent team, especially if it's on the road.

Of course that's your fondest wish is to ensure home field and a lesser ranked opponent of the first round or two. So no one will ever know.

When I get my crystal ball fixed, you'll be the first one I tell.

So, when you were tied 13-13 with a crappy Illinois State team late in the 4th quarter, you weren't worried because you KNEW what was going to happen, huh?

And when the SIU game ended with SIU on the 3 yard line, about to score the game-winning touchdown, you weren't worried because you KNEW what was going to happen, right?

I'll tell you what I DO know: UNI has a great team. Montana has a very good team. They're both 7-0. And they've both struggled in a couple of games. To make a dumbass statement that Montana doesn't even belong in the top 10 is just assinine. But, we've come to expect nothing less from you. 41 posts in, and you've already achieved DaveK status. Congratulations.

You're an incredible homer and an embarrassment to the knowledgeable UNI posters (of which there are many) on this board.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 22nd, 2007, 01:41 PM

HAHA it kills me how much people get their panties in a bundle over Montana. It's not difficult being a Griz fan what looks more appropriate to say is it looks difficult being a UNI fan and getting so worked up over Montana's ranking every week.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
mcneese
uni
ndsu
montana
siu

Ronin
October 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
AZGrizFan

Must have hit a nerve, eh? One person's opinion as Montana would not be in the top 10 and you've resorted to name calling. I thought this board was restricted to those over 13.

Montana's schedule is exceedingly weak. Yes, they have won, barely in some cases. Will they get home field advantage in the playoffs, most likely yes. Is it fair, IMHO to the better teams out there "no".

If you wanted to go strictly by record. Then you would need to consider these teams as well -- Yale 6-0, San Diego 7-0. Yet I have not seen their name mentioned.... I wonder why? Oh, in case you've missed it this is a rhetorical question.

Saluki_man
October 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
No one seems to include any SoCon teams.

We have FIVE teams in the top 25.
Those 5 teams have no lost any 1-AA/FCS OOC games.
At this point, we are just beating each other up.

Don't count us out yet!

I won't count them out yet, both Wofford and ASU are both sitting at 8 & 9, but its hard to put them above teams with less than 2 losses.

Peems
October 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
AZGrizFan

Must have hit a nerve, eh? One person's opinion as Montana would not be in the top 10 and you've resorted to name calling. I thought this board was restricted to those over 13.

Montana's schedule is exceedingly weak. Yes, they have won, barely in some cases. Will they get home field advantage in the playoffs, most likely yes. Is it fair, IMHO to the better teams out there "no".

If you wanted to go strictly by record. Then you would need to consider these teams as well -- Yale 6-0, San Diego 7-0. Yet I have not seen their name mentioned.... I wonder why? Oh, in case you've missed it this is a rhetorical question.

The difference is that the Big Sky is considered much stronger than the PFL and the Ivy League. You're reasoning for not having the Griz in the top 10 is a bit flawed in my opinion. Sure the Griz have definitely not looked great in some of their wins. But they have won, and to have a team that has lost two games to FCS opponents rated ahead of them makes little sense to me. IF the Griz go undefeated and win their conference they will deserve those home field games, but that is far away and the Griz have some very tough games coming up. Also inquiring minds want to know, where do you have the Griz ranked?

NDSUFREAK
October 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
NDSU
UNI
SIU
McNeese St
Montana

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
AZGrizFan

I calls 'em like I sees 'em, bud.

Exceedingly weak? That's a joke. You play Mankato State, whoever the hell that is, and Drake, and you've got winless SUU (same as Montana) and winless Indiana State (same as UNC) on your schedule and you've got the nerve to say Montana's schedule is "exceedingly weak" just because you played Iowa State? Why is it that whey UNI "barely" wins, it must be because the competition in the vaunted Gateway is so blasted tough, but when the Griz struggle to win a conference game, it's because they suck and/or play down to their competition....can't have it both ways, my friend. You still got cupcakes on your schedule, just like the Griz do. There's a lot of BS smack going around from a conference that got their 2nd round entrant's azz handed to them last year by the Grizzlies. And that ain't conjecture, that's FACT.

Stick that in your crystal ball and smoke it. xpeacex

As far as Yale goes, they don't participate, so feel free to start your own thread and talk to yourself about why they should/should not be included in the playoffs....

And as far as San Diego goes, if you can sit there with a straight face and honestly say that there hasn't been countless useless hours of discussion regarding USD's SOS and whether or not they should get an at-large bid, they you are even further into la-la-land than I first thought.

FCS Go!
October 22nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
1- N. Iowa- still top.
2- S. Illinois- who beats them besides UNI on neutral field?
3- NDSU- was expecting blowout vs MN, call me fickle.
4- UMass- is Coen's injury serious, if so down they will go.
5- McNeese St- looked solid vs Nicholls St

FCS Go!
October 22nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
HAHA it kills me how much people get their panties in a bundle over Montana. It's not difficult being a Griz fan what looks more appropriate to say is it looks difficult NOT BEING A GRIZ FAN and getting so worked up over Montana's ranking every week.

A bit of judicious editing to further illuminate the real problem- envy, jealousy and resentment. xsmiley_wix

msusig
October 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
1.Northern Iowa
2.North Dakota St.
3.McNeese State
4.Massachusetts
5.Montana

I actually could care less about the rankings because what matters is winning in the playoffs. The only reason I would care is to get home games so I don't have to drive to go tailgating. So Northern Iowa and North Dakota St. you can keep the bullseye on your backs.

msusig
October 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
It would be nice to get some revenge against Montana at "the hole".

seahawkfan2007
October 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
1. No. Iowa
2. So. Illinois
3. NDSU
4. McNeese
5. U. Mass

McNeese75
October 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
You guys that have McNeese in the top 5 must be joking. I was at the McNeese/Nicholls game and McNeese gave me no reason what-so-ever that there a top five team. I'll rank them in the top 10 but not in the top five. I was expecting a lot more from them giving how much hype they have about them.

Don't think Im upset that NSU lost but with the 3 turnovers and 2 missed field goals, McNeese, with a ranking of 6 at the time, should have won this game by a lot more.

xrolleyesx Well I guess we should not have taken the knee for the last minute and a half and just slammed it to ya huh xlolx

McTailGator
October 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM

You must have been the former NSU player sitting near the McNeese section that had to be removed for tring to start a fight.

If not, you are deaf, dumb, and blind. And you don't know $h_t about football.

Purple For Life
October 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM

Rick Hartzell said tonight if we can run the table, we would most likely get two home games, but we may have to play at Montana or San Diego. Just a theory from a guy who's seen a lot of football in his day.

FargoBison
October 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Rick Hartzell said tonight if we can run the table, we would most likely get two home games, but we may have to play at Montana or San Diego. Just a theory from a guy who's seen a lot of football in his day.

If UNI wins out there should be riots in the streets if they travel anywhere but Chatty come postseason.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM

If UNI runs the table there is no way they would go to San Diego or come to Montana as I don't know how they would not have a top 2 seed at that point. They would have to not want a home game to have to go on the road. I don't see how that could happen if they finish 11-0. A road trip to a 3500 seat stadium in San Diego is absolutely ludicrous.

Live4Griz
October 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM

You may already know this but if you are # 1 or # 2 seed and keep winning you get to host no matter what.

Another thing, what makes Rick think you would have to play at San Diego?? That seems very odd!

Mountain Panther
October 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM

If we win out we're not going anywhere but Chatty.

To whom did he say this?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
You may already know this but if you are # 1 or # 2 seed and keep winning you get to host no matter what.

Another thing, what makes Rick think you would have to play at San Diego?? That seems very odd!

Except if they didn't place the minimum bid which is highly unlikely.

Live4Griz
October 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Except if they didn't place the minimum bid which is highly unlikely.

Do you even have to do that if you have a seed??

Live4Griz
October 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Do you even have to do that if you have a seed??

I think I answered my own question. And you were correct!xthumbsupx

Below is from the Handbook:

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I-AA Football Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top four seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

Tillou
October 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Hey McTailGator;

That wasn't me. I was one the home side. Sorry to disappoint you.

Lets look at the stats:
.........................................MCN...... ...............NICH

FIRST DOWNS................... 23.....................17
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 281..................246
Average Per Rush............ 5.3........................5.7
Rushing Touchdowns.......... 2 ........................1
Yards Gained Rushing........ 295.......................295
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 14 ....................... 49
NET YARDS PASSING............. 85.....................92
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 10-19-1 ..................7-15-0
Average Per Attempt......... 4.5.......................6.1
Average Per Completion...... 8.5......................13.1
Passing Touchdowns.......... 2 .......................... 0
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 366.....................338
Total offense plays......... 72 .............................58
Average Gain Per Play....... 5.1 ...........................5.8
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 0-0 ...........................3-3
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 5-25.........................5-70
PUNTS-YARDS................... 4-155..........................3-102
Possession Time............... 33:41.............................26:19
Third-Down Conversions........ 8 of 14..........................4 of 10
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 1 ..........................0 of 1

I would say with stats like these I wouldn't exactly call ya'll a top 5 team. I would expect a top 5 team to convert more on third down conversions and not puntin 4 times and put up more points since NSU had 3 turnovers!

Im just saying that I don't believe ya'll are a top 5 team in the country by the way they played against Nicholls Sat night.

McNeese75
October 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Hey McTailGator;

That wasn't me. I was one the home side.

Lets look at the stats.

MCN NICH

FIRST DOWNS................... 23 17
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 281 246
Average Per Rush............ 5.3 5.7
Rushing Touchdowns.......... 2 1
Yards Gained Rushing........ 295 295
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 14 49
NET YARDS PASSING............. 85 92
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 10-19-1 7-15-0
Average Per Attempt......... 4.5 6.1
Average Per Completion...... 8.5 13.1
Passing Touchdowns.......... 2 0
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 366 338
Total offense plays......... 72 58
Average Gain Per Play....... 5.1 5.8
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 0-0 3-3
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 5-25 5-70
PUNTS-YARDS................... 4-155 3-102
Possession Time............... 33:41 26:19
Third-Down Conversions........ 8 of 14 4 of 10
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 1 0 of 1

I would stats like these I wouldn't exactly call ya'll a top 5 team. I would expect a top 5 team to convert more on third conversions and not puntin 4 times.

Im just saying that I don't believe ya'll are a top 5 team in the country by the way they played against Nicholls Sat night.

Well under your scenario the Colonels are not a top 25 team right??? xcoolx

Tillou
October 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Not by the way they played Sat night. Thats for sure.

McTailGator
October 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hey McTailGator;

That wasn't me. I was one the home side. Sorry to disappoint you.

Lets look at the stats:
.........................................MCN...... ...............NICH

FIRST DOWNS................... 23.....................17
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 281..................246
Average Per Rush............ 5.3........................5.7
Rushing Touchdowns.......... 2 ........................1
Yards Gained Rushing........ 295.......................295
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 14 ....................... 49
NET YARDS PASSING............. 85.....................92
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 10-19-1 ..................7-15-0
Average Per Attempt......... 4.5.......................6.1
Average Per Completion...... 8.5......................13.1
Passing Touchdowns.......... 2 .......................... 0
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 366.....................338
Total offense plays......... 72 .............................58
Average Gain Per Play....... 5.1 ...........................5.8
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 0-0 ...........................3-3
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 5-25.........................5-70
PUNTS-YARDS................... 4-155..........................3-102
Possession Time............... 33:41.............................26:19
Third-Down Conversions........ 8 of 14..........................4 of 10
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 1 ..........................0 of 1

I would say with stats like these I wouldn't exactly call ya'll a top 5 team. I would expect a top 5 team to convert more on third down conversions and not puntin 4 times and put up more points since NSU had 3 turnovers!

You are indeed a fool...

Who do you think CAUSED those turnovers?

And we should have had another interception that the ref did not see with his head being stuck in the position it was at the time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3YPqiXOjcBQ

YOU WERE DOMINATED...

LOOK AT THE TIME OF POSSESION,

LOOK AT OUR RUSHING STATS, vs A TEAM THAT IS ALL ABOUT THE RUN.

GO AWAY AND LEARN ABOUT FOOTBALL BAYOU BOY.

SeattleGriz
October 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. MONTANA
4. JMU
5. McNEESE

By the way, I don't vote in the AGS poll, so don't get all up in arms.

pokum88
October 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
McNeese was just running the clock out for the half of the 3rd qt and hole 4th,

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
McNeese was just running the clock out for the half of the 3rd qt and hole 4th,

That's where Montana gets dinged. We have a coach who believes it's better to get the 2nd, 3rd, and often 4th stringers some valuable playing time, rather than put the team's collective foot on the throat of the opponent and crush them by 40. And he almost ALWAYS has the team take a knee once the game is in hand. The SUU game, which we ONLY won by 20, ended with the Griz taking a knee at the 6 yard line. Fort Lewis (49-0) and UNC (52-7) couldn't be helped. Albany looked close, but I believe every player in uniform got into that game at some point....just a philsophy which opens him and the program up to a lot of criticism from less than knowledgeable fans who look no deeper than the final score and say "You should have blown that inferior opponent out of the water".

pokum88
October 22nd, 2007, 10:31 PM

McNeese was running out the clock for part of the 3rd qt and the hole 4th.
Our 3rd team defense held you from scoring. If they would have allowed our QB to run more he would have put up 200 rushing on ya'll. Yes your db's were good but we didn't need to throw. As far as the field if I were your coach that playing surface would be gone. It was slick as eel S#*t.
Better luck next year.xnonox