PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Refs Part II (aka GSU @ ASU)

gophoenix
October 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Ok Georgia Southern fans. I am curious, after claiming the SoCon biased Elon in your game against us. App fans in various locations are saying the refs gave you that game yesterday.

How does the Eagle nation respond to this after the claims you made the week before?

ChiefGSU275
October 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
The refs were awful on both sides. GSU had some calls in our favor, app had some in theirs.

GaSouthern
October 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
The ref's SUCK, we need to hire new ref's IMO.

GSUISBACK
October 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Ok Georgia Southern fans. I am curious, after claiming the SoCon biased Elon in your game against us. App fans in various locations are saying the refs gave you that game yesterday.

How does the Eagle nation respond to this after the claims you made the week before?
The refs suck. They may not be bias but there calls are effecting games.

james_lawfirm
October 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
I must disagree with you GaSo fans. Now, first off, you all played a GREAT game in Boone Saturday. Foster is the real deal, and I hope Coach Hatcher continues there for a long time.

IMO, ASU should have continued with Trey once he came in (& scored a TD & looked REALLY comfortable, etc., etc., etc.)

But, the refs seemed OK to me, with the possible exception being some placement calls. They called the holds that I saw & they called the late hit that I saw. (& What the heck was the Eagle player thinking anyway when he hit Armanti five minutes after the play was over? (OK, maybe it was 5 seconds)).

ElonPride
October 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
I watched nearly the eniter game on TV yesterday, and actually watched some of the replay today.......just to see Jayson Foster tear it up!!!xthumbsupx Foster is truly a sight to watch on the field!!!!

The refs were okay. I didn't see anything that would've decided the game either way. I saw some App fans complaing about the spot on ASU's last drive, but the refs were correct.

I do agree that the SoCon needs to hire refs taht are going to be consistent. We sure as heck don't see that right now.

blueballs
October 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM
The really bad calls went both ways for once.

1) GSU's Andrews pushes off on a TD reception with no call,
2) GSU's Walker forces a fumble that is recovered by GSU on the ASU 3 that is ruled down incorrectly.

Fortunately neither of these boneheaded no calls decided the game, and the officials didn't almost singlehandedly decide the outcome, as has been the case earlier this season and in the past.

appstate38
October 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
You know that is what makes football such a great sport to play and watch. Because out of well over 100 snaps the game was ultimately decided on about 4 or 5 crucial plays. Think about it... Interception for the TD, Long GSU TD pass. The interception inside the 10 by GSU and the sack the Armanti took with time winding down. All big plays in and of themselves, but taken together they decided the outcome of the game.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
You know that is what makes football such a great sport to play and watch. Because out of well over 100 snaps the game was ultimately decided on about 4 or 5 crucial plays. Think about it... Interception for the TD, Long GSU TD pass. The interception inside the 10 by GSU and the sack the Armanti took with time winding down. All big plays in and of themselves, but taken together they decided the outcome of the game.

In most rivalry games, a single play can change the outcome. I think App would know that the best.

see Furman: v."go for two".

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2007, 10:04 PM
At least they are pretty bad across the board. The Eagles don't get shafted any more than any other team in the conference.

I specifically remember a touchback that wasn't last season against ASU that changed the entire game. And I was in very much disagreement with the ref who called Ingle Martin's foward pass a fumble to end the '05 playoff game.

but again, that's football. They are human, you aren't going to get every call right. You shake your head, say tough break, and move on.

...Perhaps I take this approach after years of playing baseball. That's a game where you don't get a say and bad calls are just as much a part of the game as the good ones.

ASUdrummer
October 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
I agree with most of the stuff on here. The refs did a decent job Saturday except for the placements at times. However, one call I kinda disagree with because it wasn't obvious and didn't affect the play (if it even happened), was the illegal block in the back call that took ASU's field position from the GSU 20 to the ASU 35...that's a HUGE call that did affect the outcome of the game.

APPST '93
October 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
I agree with most of the stuff on here. The refs did a decent job Saturday except for the placements at times. However, one call I kinda disagree with because it wasn't obvious and didn't affect the play (if it even happened), was the illegal block in the back call that took ASU's field position from the GSU 20 to the ASU 35...that's a HUGE call that did affect the outcome of the game.

Love never touched the guy. Bad call IMO.

appstate38
October 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
At least they are pretty bad across the board. The Eagles don't get shafted any more than any other team in the conference.

I specifically remember a touchback that wasn't last season against ASU that changed the entire game. And I was in very much disagreement with the ref who called Ingle Martin's foward pass a fumble to end the '05 playoff game.

You mean this play :D

phillyAPP
October 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM

That penalty did atleast keep APP from having a chance at a 38-38 score at end of regulation. The REFS are making questionable calls xrulesx that effect the outcome of games. It stinks for any team to put up with it. We are not ALL wrong on this fact.

It is bad for the kids who play the game and I think it makes the whole conference look stupid. To me, its like not having enough restrooms for 28,000 fans at a football game.xbawlingx

It NEEDS to be fixed. xnonono2x xnonono2x

pete4256
October 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
How did they miss Edward's fumble on the sack by Dakota Walker at the 10 yard line with app. 4 minutes to go?

bobbythekidd
October 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Sure there were missed calls, and bad spots. I did not see any that decided the game. Still poor officiating IMO. The SoCon is ate up with less than great Refs.

The refs we had one playoff game from the A-10 are still the best I can remember. It was 2000, if I remember.

appfan2008
October 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
i thought the refs did a pretty good job through most of the game but that block in the back on the final punt return was inexcusable and embarassing for the refs

bobbythekidd
October 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
i thought the refs did a pretty good job through most of the game but that block in the back on the final punt return was inexcusable and embarassing for the refs
Oh, there was that one. Can't see anything close to that on the TV broadcast. Hell, I didn't even see contact!:o

james_lawfirm
October 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
And I was in very much disagreement with the ref who called Ingle Martin's foward pass a fumble to end the '05 playoff game.

Now, wait a minute. They got that call right. I was at that game. The hit on Martin looked to me like he fumbled BEFORE his arm started moving forward. And, per the tape I made of the game at home, the refs got that one right. It really was a fumble. What I really remember next was B. Lamb's hissy he had right there in front of me and 26,000 of my closest friends.

SuperEagle
October 22nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
I never saw #22 hit anyone in the back. Did they mean to call that on #83? I watched it several times and #83 hit our #20 in the back. He started out on the side and then clearly pushed him in the back. If you have tivo watch that one again. Not a good block on his part and no reason to do it. That's all I could think when I saw that call.
And I tivo'ed the fumble too. He did lose it just before his knee hit.
However, I had to watch it several times in slow motion to verify this happened. I can see why this would have been such a tough call.
Both of those are tough calls that neither fan base is going to be happy about.
But the one that got me was the facemask on our #21. His neck snapped around and it was obvious his facemask was pulled. It looked dangerous and I'm glad no one was hurt. But I really don't understand how the refs missed that one.
Now to answer your original "baiting" question, we Eagle fans are still unhappy with the lining up in the neutral zone penalty that took a win away from us at Elon. I've looked at that play several times and that was very questionable IMO. Being as anal as I am, I paused it, got a ruler, measured it, and our guy did not appear to be in the neutral zone.
My point is this. SOCON officials seem to like to make calls in very critical situations. And these calls never seem obvious to anyone but them.
They need to do a better job making sure they are 100% right in those situations. Seems to me like they are only guessing alot of the time.

Baldy
October 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
Nah, look on the replay. From the end zone replay its clearly visible, look at #22 push the GSU player in the back. The view is almost blocked by the right upright, but it's there.