PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Prognostications - Into Week Nine

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Saw another thread, but it did not have actual brackets..

Highlights compared to last week: Eliminated Nicholls St as I think they may have trouble winning out, placed Elon in SoCon driver's seat and removed AppSt from playoffs. Have The Citadel this week, but ultimately, the winner of GaSU/El Cid game will have the spot next week. Put Fordham in Patriot spot.

Autos:
Big Sky: Montana
CAA: UMass
Gateway: UNI
MEAC: Norfolk St
OVC: EKU
Patriot: Fordham
Southern: Elon
SLC: McNeese

At-Large:
Big Sky: Montana St
CAA: James Madison, Delaware, New Hampshire
Gateway: S Illinois
MEAC: Delaware St
Southern: Wofford, Citadel

Fordham @ Northern Iowa (1)
Norfolk St @ Wofford

The Citadel @ UMass (4)
Delaware St @ Delaware

Southern Illinois @ Montana (3)
Elon @ New Hampshire

Eastern Kentucky @ James Madison
Montana St @ McNeese (2)

These things are so hard to do...

CID1990
October 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
GSU vs. The Citadel will be huge. As I said at the beginning of the season, I think the GSU game is the toughest one on our schedule because of the timing and the location. If we win that one, we can still lose to ASU and then the Elon game will be for an at-large bid.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 10:47 AM
GSU vs. The Citadel will be huge. As I said at the beginning of the season, I think the GSU game is the toughest one on our schedule because of the timing and the location. If we win that one, we can still lose to ASU and then the Elon game will be for an at-large bid.

Regardless of what games are left, the fact is The Citadel has their playoff prospects in their hand. That's got to be rather exciting for the Bulldogs...

terrierbob
October 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Beat Elon.

Saluki_man
October 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM
If Appy wins out they are in, period. A 9-2 ASU team with a win over Michigan gets in.

The team on your playoff list that may be in trouble is the Citadel. The next three weeks for them is @GSU, ASU, and Elon. That is one tough stretch they will need to go atleast 2-1 to make it.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
If Appy wins out they are in, period. A 9-2 ASU team with a win over Michigan gets in.

The team on your playoff list that may be in trouble is the Citadel. The next three weeks for them is @GSU, ASU, and Elon. That is one tough stretch they will need to go atleast 2-1 to make it.

No question AppSt gets in at 9-2. I'm just not sure what to expect from the Mountaineers and I love this story from The Citadel, so I thought it would get some talk (as it already has)...

UNHWildCats
October 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Hofstra hasnt beaten anyone and they got proven to BE VERY VERY OVERRATED yesterday by UNH and you still have them in over UNH?

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Speaking on the CAA....IMO...

I believe Hofstra would have to beat UMASS to qualify. The upcoming games between Richmond, Delaware and JMU will have a huge impact on at large bids from the CAA, especially if UNH wins out.

Yesterday's results from the So Con has definitely elevated that conference for muliple at large bids...I can't see ASU being left out if they get the necessary number of wins.

At this point, I see an 8-3 team being left out.....should make an interesting finish.....just hope the Dukes can take care of business....

Go Dukes

WrenFGun
October 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
I don't see how you can have Hofstra in over UNH. 40-3 trouncing? I'd struggle to put Delaware in over UNH, in light of their DII win and UNH handling them pretty easily.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Hofstra hasnt beaten anyone and they got proven to BE VERY VERY OVERRATED yesterday by UNH and you still have them in over UNH?

Your right...made a mistake. For some reason, I though UNH had a sub-Div I win this season. They should get a nod over Hofstra...

UNHWildCats
October 21st, 2007, 11:08 AM
Your right...made a mistake. For some reason, I though UNH had a sub-Div I win this season. They should get a nod over Hofstra...

xsmiley_wix Im sure in the Southern Conference circles they would like to consider Marshall Sub Div I but thats not the case xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bluehenbillk
October 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
I think your playoff scenario is very accurate except for I don't see the MEAC getting 2 teams in.

bigchocolate
October 21st, 2007, 02:41 PM
TexasTerror,
Your bracket seems to be in order with the exception of the MEAC representatives. Norfolk State loses @ Morgan on Nov 3rd and @ Deleware State on Nov 10. Deleware State Loses to SC State this Saturday. SC State takes the MEAC Autobid...the at large, if the MEAC get one will go to a 9-2 Deleware State team. xsmiley_wix

Saw another thread, but it did not have actual brackets..

Highlights compared to last week: Eliminated Nicholls St as I think they may have trouble winning out, placed Elon in SoCon driver's seat and removed AppSt from playoffs. Have The Citadel this week, but ultimately, the winner of GaSU/El Cid game will have the spot next week. Put Fordham in Patriot spot.

Autos:
MEAC: Norfolk St

At-Large:
Southern: Wofford, Citadel

Fordham @ Northern Iowa (1)
Norfolk St @ Wofford

The Citadel @ UMass (4)
Delaware St @ Delaware

Elon @ New Hampshire

Eastern Kentucky @ James Madison
Montana St @ McNeese (2)

These things are so hard to do...

joecooll6
October 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Pretty good job. What an exciting year. The playoffs are gonna be fun this year.

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Speaking on the CAA....IMO...

I believe Hofstra would have to beat UMASS to qualify. The upcoming games between Richmond, Delaware and JMU will have a hugh impact on at large bids from the CAA, especially if UNH wins out.

Yesterday's results from the So Con has definitely elevated that conference for muliple at large bids...I can't see ASU being left out if they get the necessary number of wins.

At this point, I see an 8-3 team being left out.....should make an interesting finish.....just hope the Dukes can take care of business....

Go Dukes

that would mean asu at 8-3 and i dont think they can be left out at 8-3 either... that means going 3-1 the rest of the way which i certainly believe they will do

unigriff
October 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM
an 8-3 ASU team...hmmm, i dunno...be close to call...they'd be on the road every game IF they got in.

Millwoch
October 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM
We have to win 2/3 with GSU, Appy, and Elon and most likely 3/3 to get that bid. That is a tall order. Our pass D has been horrendous the past several weeks. This weeks game is huge. Should be a fun 3 weeks. We could easily go 0-3 and finish with a losing record. I am not counting my horses yet. I would have put Elon in there, as they have games with FU/Cit/Chatty. If Appy or GSU lose one more they are out..Too many scenerios yet to get too excited.

I can't believe I am saying this, but go Dins...

Petrie Dish
October 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM
an 8-3 ASU team...hmmm, i dunno...be close to call...they'd be on the road every game IF they got in.

They would have a home game. There isn't one team that could out-bid them for a game.

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM

Not into the geographical thing?
xeyebrowx

Petrie Dish
October 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Not into the geographical thing?
xeyebrowx

Out of those teams, who else is closer to Montana?

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM

App St at 8-3 with a win over Michigan -- in like flint! No questions asked.

I hear comments about the playoff consideration value of UNH's win over FBS Marshall (on their way to 0-7 tonight on ESPN). Well, anywhich way you cut it, App St's win is overwhelmingly (I mean OVERwhelmingly) more valuable in consideration for making the field of 16. App St probably gets a home game in round #1, as well, given that they will sell out the stadium...

By the way, I believe UNH is in at 9-2 or 8-3, too (with wins over aforementioned Marshall, Delaware, Hofstra to date).

art vandelay
October 21st, 2007, 09:32 PM
i think appy would get in at 8-3. unh did last year and they did a good job in the playoffs. thats what they want. no one wants to see a team get in that can't compete. we all know appy can. not to mention in good conferences they will definately take 8 and 3 teams.

Saluki_man
October 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Out of those teams, who else is closer to Montana?

I don't want to go to Montana again this year for the playoffs, have too many bad memories from last years second round game.

AlphaSigMD
October 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
Wow, I just got back from a trip and I am STUNNED at the Socon results from yesterday. I'd like to know what happened on that return play with dexter jackson that was in the article...at the end of the game that took away the field position?

That being said, ASU will still go the playoffs. They will have a home game, and if we hope against hope, we will be put into a bracket where Montana has the seed. That way, when Montana loses early, then ASU gets 2, maybe 3 home games anyway, simply because of being able to outbid the other non-seeds. ;) xlolx xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, I just got back from a trip and I am STUNNED at the Socon results from yesterday. I'd like to know what happened on that return play with dexter jackson that was in the article...at the end of the game that took away the field position?

That being said, ASU will still go the playoffs. They will have a home game, and if we hope against hope, we will be put into a bracket where Montana has the seed. That way, when Montana loses early, then ASU gets 2, maybe 3 home games anyway, simply because of being able to outbid the other non-seeds. ;) xlolx xthumbsupx

At this point, you and other ASU fans probably ought to worry about MAKING the playoffs, and not worry just quite yet which bracket you're in.... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASUdrummer
October 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
They called a block in the back that wasn't even needed because he ran his butt off. The radio announcers said they were replaying it over and over and couldn't find an illegal block anywhere so it was a gutsy call by the ref. at that point in a game without an obvious penalty...Anyways, an 8-3 ASU gets in but doesn't have a comfortable playoff situation so hopefully we'll win out!

bigskyrocks
October 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
My feelings on the playoffs, imo

At-Large:
Southern: Wofford, Appy
Pioneer- San Diego

Ok so you probably all dislike my san diego pick but this is the year they get some love then dont do a think in the playoffs and never again do they get in barring them getting more scholly or a better conference. so now to the bracket.

Fordham at 1 Northern Iowa
Deleware st at app st

Souther Ill at 4 Umass
Deleware at Elon

San Diego at 2 Montana
EKU at New Hamp

Montana st at 3 mcneese st
Wofford at James Madison

I dont know what kind of bids teams can put in, but this is just my feeling on the playoffs how i see them playing out... now for things that are completly useless .. predictions yay

rnd2
App st and 1 Norther Iowa
SIU at Deleware
New Hamp at 2 Montana
Wofford at Montana St.

rnd 3
Deleware at Appy
Wofford at Montana

Chatty
App st and Montana

24 Um 20 Appy you seen it here first. now when it all ends up wrong i will stand corrected but for week 8 predicts this is what i see

AlphaSigMD
October 21st, 2007, 10:34 PM
At this point, you and other ASU fans probably ought to worry about MAKING the playoffs, and not worry just quite yet which bracket you're in.... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I give your post a solid Meh. 3-1 and we're in the postseason. 4-0, and we might still eek out a seed,depending on how the rest of the country shakes out. If Wofford falters with GSU, and Elon plays UTC the way they played Western Carolina...anything can happen. If we go 2-2...then we flat out don't deserve to go the playoffs. Period. Tragic, but it wouldn;t be the first time that a team with a great offense has struggled with the lack of a defense.

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM
I give your post a solid Meh. 3-1 and we're in the postseason. 4-0, and we might still eek out a seed,depending on how the rest of the country shakes out. If Wofford falters with GSU, and Elon plays UTC the way they played Western Carolina...anything can happen. If we go 2-2...then we flat out don't deserve to go the playoffs. Period. Tragic, but it wouldn;t be the first time that a team with a great offense has struggled with the lack of a defense.

I just found it funny that, after your recent conference struggles, you still are positive you'll get 3 home games (apparently the only tough teams are in the SoCon) and positive that Montana will lose early. Neither one of those are exactly "sure" things.... ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 21st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Rocks,

Based on prior year's pairings, I'd have to say that Fordham would go to UMass or UNH before they were sent packing to Iowa. I think they'd go to a SoCon site before being sent to the Midwest. And there's no way in hades that Elon gets a home game against DelAware without being seeded, the Blue Hens outbid Elon without a doubt.

UMass922
October 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
The Citadel @ UMass (4)

I would absolutely love to see this game happen. It's unlikely to happen, though, even if The Citadel does make the playoffs. A UMass first-round home playoff game is pretty much a guarantee to be against a Patriot League team most years.

blur2005
October 22nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
San Diego = no bid.

UDBlueLotFan
October 22nd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Rocks, UD @ Elonxoopsx NCAA must not be into making $ now-a-days? But, IF, my chickens make it, no way the NCAA passes up DSU @ UD. xthumbsupx

Houndawg
October 22nd, 2007, 08:47 AM

At-Large:
Pioneer- San Diego

Ok so you probably all dislike my san diego pick but this is the year they get some love then dont do a think in the playoffs and never again do they get in barring them getting more scholly or a better conference. so now to the bracket.

Deleware st at app st

Souther Ill at 4 Umass
Deleware at Elon

San Diego at 2 Montana
EKU at New Hamp

Wofford at James Madison

I dont know what kind of bids teams can put in, but this is just my feeling on the playoffs how i see them playing out... now for things that are completly useless .. predictions yay

rnd2
SIU at Deleware
New Hamp at 2 Montana
Wofford at Montana St.

rnd 3
Deleware at Appy
Wofford at Montana

Chatty
App st and Montana

24 Um 20 Appy you seen it here first. now when it all ends up wrong i will stand corrected but for week 8 predicts this is what i see

Could you send me some of what you're smoking? That Bitterroot homer bud is apparently quite good. San Diego won't be in the playoffs, most likely you get SIU. You'll be surprised at how much they've improved since you last saw them.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Rocks,

Based on prior year's pairings, I'd have to say that Fordham would go to UMass or UNH before they were sent packing to Iowa. I think they'd go to a SoCon site before being sent to the Midwest. And there's no way in hades that Elon gets a home game against DelAware without being seeded, the Blue Hens outbid Elon without a doubt.

Do you think could/would bid enough to get a home playoff game?

McTailGator
October 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM

At-Large:
Pioneer- San Diego

Deleware st at app st

Souther Ill at 4 Umass
Deleware at Elon

San Diego at 2 Montana
EKU at New Hamp

Wofford at James Madison

rnd2
SIU at Deleware
New Hamp at 2 Montana
Wofford at Montana St.

rnd 3
Deleware at Appy
Wofford at Montana

Chatty
App st and Montana

San Diego is a NO GO for a bid.

Nichols will will win out and drive DEEP into the playoffs on defense alone.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Rocks,

Do you think could/would bid enough to get a home playoff game?

Well, I was really only commenting on Rocks choices of who would travel to his selected hosts, but I do think that UNH can make competitive bids against many participants. Forgetabout bidding against the upper tier of attendance leaders, but we've proven we can go way over capacity at Cowell and we've proven that the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend isn't an issue.

Minimum bid for the 1st round = $30K IIRC

10K times $20/ticket = $200K

JMHO, but that does give the AD some wiggle room for a bid.

We're not going to outbid Delaware, Montana, Northern Iowa, App State, McNeese, etc., but I don't see why we can't bid competitively with Elon, Wofford, Fordham, Delaware State, etc. But it's all a moot point unless we beat UMass and take care of business against URI, Northeastern and Maine so why waste any more energy on the topic for now.

touchdown
October 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
San Diego = no bid.

Gotta let San Diego have a shot if they win out. Can't keep the best player in FCS, i.e. Josh Johnson, out of the playoffs!

touchdown
October 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
San Diego is a NO GO for a bid.

Nichols will will win out and drive DEEP into the playoffs on defense alone

The same Nichols team that struggled to beat NAIA # 23 Azusa Pacific on the last play of the game? The same team USD had 42-6 with 5 minutes to go in the 4th before they completely emptied the bench ? Go figure!
Oh by the way they played without the best player in the FCS at QB Josh Johnson, let's just wait and see, too much hating for USD at this point!
Hey we are on fire (Literally)

89Hen
October 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Can't keep the best player in FCS, i.e. Josh Johnson, out of the playoffs!
xeyebrowx I thought the playoffs were for teams, not individuals. xeyebrowx xcoffeex

Stang Fever
October 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
I for one dont think that USD has made there case for a BID, or deserves one. BUt a Point could be made that, even though they play sorry teams, They do exactly what you are suppose to do and that is Blow everyone of them out. I would argue that everyone of the playoff teams or vast majority would do the same thing

Fordham
October 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Love seeing us in these things but we're actually going to be underdogs in two weeks when we host HC, who is also undefeated in league play.

Regardless, we could be undefeated and ranked #1 and there's no way in he*l I could ever see them giving us a home game. We'd have to resurrect The Polo Grounds to get one.

putter
October 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
I for one dont think that USD has made there case for a BID, or deserves one. BUt a Point could be made that, even though they play sorry teams, They do exactly what you are suppose to do and that is Blow everyone of them out. I would argue that everyone of the playoff teams or vast majority would do the same thing

I have to agree with this. The team has done, for 2 years, what is was supposed to do. win it's games. Unfortunately their AD has not done what he was supposed to do, upgrade their OOC schedule to get this program into the playoffs.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Well, here's my stab at it. Changed things up a bit by setting SC State as the come from behind MEAC AQ, and Holy Cross as the PL AQ.

BSC - Montana
CAA - UMass
SoCon - Elon
SLC - McNeese St.
Gateway - UNI
OVC - E. Kentucky
PL - Holy Cross
MEAC - SC St.

At Large:
JMU
UNH
Delaware
Wofford
App St
SIU
YSU
San Diego

Brackets (Oh boy! here we go...)
1. UNI
EKU

JMU
Elon

App St
SC St.

4. McNeese St.
Wofford

3. UMass
Holy Cross

Delaware
SIU

YSU
UNH

2. Montana
San Diego

xrotatehx xthumbsupx xrotatehx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Just noticed YSU's issues - take them out and replace w/ Montana St.... I think? :)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Playoff question:

If Holy Cross wins the PL, you would assume they would go to UMass if UMass runs the table and gets a seed. However, the two teams already played each other this year, so would that keep Holy Cross from going to UMass in round 1?

WVAPPmountaineer
October 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
If Holy Cross wins the PL, you would assume they would go to UMass if UMass runs the table and gets a seed. However, the two teams already played each other this year, so would that keep Holy Cross from going to UMass in round 1?

I don't think that matters - a few years ago App played Troy during the season and played them again in the first round - Also, didn't this happen to Montana last year or the year before?

Also, regarding San Diego - NO BID - I have read on these boards (so I don't know for fact) that they were offered OCC games with APP and a couple other top tier teams and declined - If a team plays in a weak non-AQ conference go out and schedule some quality opponents - See Coastal and G-W

AZGrizFan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think that matters - a few years ago App played Troy during the season and played them again in the first round - Also, didn't this happen to Montana last year or the year before?

Also, regarding San Diego - NO BID - I have read on these boards (so I don't know for fact) that they were offered OCC games with APP and a couple other top tier teams and declined - If a team plays in a weak non-AQ conference go out and schedule some quality opponents - See Coastal and G-W

Montana played Cal Poly in the reg season (W), but then got rolled in the playoffs...xmadx xmadx xmadx

UMass922
October 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Playoff question:

Last year Illinois State played Eastern Illinois in the first round after the two had already met in the regular season. So I presume the selection committee doesn't take the rematch factor into account. If UMass and Holy Cross both make the playoffs, it's a pretty safe bet they're paired in the first round.

art vandelay
October 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
From what i have seen i think Umass will lose to UNH. this will most likely put JMU in for the CAA auto bid. if they can win out but of course if JMU cant take care of business with Richmond and Deleware then it will be tough.

art vandelay
October 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
based on what is left in the season i really like UNH's position.

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I don't see how you can have Hofstra in over UNH. 40-3 trouncing? I'd struggle to put Delaware in over UNH, in light of their DII win and UNH handling them pretty easily.

UMass 10-1/9-2 Maybe loses to UNH.
UNH 9-2/8-3 Maybe beats UMass.
JMU 9-2/10-1 Maybe loses to UD.
UD 8-3/9-2 loses to Navy, maybe loses to JMU

There are your 4 playoff teams. The ONLY one who would have to sweat an 8-3 would be UD since they have a DII on the schedule.

-Hofstra: Got exposed by UNH. Loses to UMass, and loses either to @Nova or @NU, maybe both, finishes 8-3/7-4 & out of the playoffs. 8-3 might not get them in since no I-A, 2 of 3 OOC are partial scholly & Furman is down.

-UR: @JMU, Nova, @ UD, loses 2 of those 3 & finishes 7-4 & out of the playoffs. UR is pretty banged up right now.

-Nova: Hofstra, @UR, @Towson, UD, lose 2-3 of those 4, finishes 6-5/7-4 & out of the playoffs.

Bottom line is its too early to be talking playoff pcture here, we're all really wasting our time with all this meaningless speculatin (including myself with my response), since the playoff picture won't start to come into focus till Nov 3rd, still way too much (4 weekends of football to be played). xcoffeex

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
I think your playoff scenario is very accurate except for I don't see the MEAC getting 2 teams in.

Ditto

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
that would mean asu at 8-3 and i dont think they can be left out at 8-3 either... that means going 3-1 the rest of the way which i certainly believe they will do

Anybody from the CAA, Gateway, and SoCon with an ALL Div I schedule WITH a I-A and NO Div II that goes 8-3 is a lock. Which means inder this scenario UMass, UNH, JMU, and UR would be locks at 8-3, UD and Hofstra wouldn't (Hofstra no I-A and UD a Div II). But nevermind that, as I've stated all year, only 4 CAA teams finish 8-3 or better and make the playoffs (UMass & UNH from the north, JMU and UD from the south. UR finishes with 4 losses, and Hofstra finishes 8-3/7-4. A 8-3 Hofstra would definitely be on the bubble as I've already stated, no I-A on the schedule, 2 partial scholly I-AAs and Furman is down.

I think the only team from those 3 conferences that would be an exception to this (not being a lock at 8-3 if no I-A or a Div II on the scehdule) would be ASU since they have a Div II). However, the win over Michigan makes them an exception- no way ASU gets left out if they go 8-3.

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2007, 05:40 PM

You obviously don't know how the playoffs work in terms of who hosts. ASU if they weren't a seed and weren't playing a seed would absolutely host. For non seeded teams playing non seeded teams, the only things that matter are financial bid and stadium size. Records and rankings don't matter. How do you think Montana State hosted a 1st round game at 7-4 last year.

If ASU goes 8-3 they're in. The ONLY way they go on the road the 1st round is if they are the closest geographically (within the 400 (I think its 400) mi limit for bus trips) to one of the seeded teams not from the So-Con. And the only possible team within 400 miles of ASU that could get a seed would be JMU. (Now wouldn't that be a heck of a 1st round game to have in Harrisonburg!)

eaglesrthe1
October 22nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
An 8-3 ASU team would be a lock for two things.

1. The playoffs
2. Home field advantage, until they came across a seeded team.

There is no way in hell that a 3 loss team that is the two time defending champs with a with over Michigan, and with their losses to two currently ranked teams would be out. No matter who the third loss came from.

bigskyrocks
October 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
im not too sure on the locations of the teams out east as you could probably tell i might be slightly west coast biast but hey who isnt biast to their own team nor do i know what kind of bids teams can put in so i just went on what i would like to see for matchups. but i do feel san diego if they win out will get a chance after going what 29-2 since 05 and in there two losses (UC davis/ Princton) the combined score was 57-44. they deserve the shot plus a combined effort of boise st itis. they give a shot and they end up getting beat by montana or mcneese or who knows maybe they win.

FCS Go!
October 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
San Diego's case all comes down to their game with UC Davis (and winning out until then of course). If Davis can beat SDSU & Sac St and San Diego crushes Davis then I'd be strongly inclined to say "Send them to one of the seeds". A close game in Davis and .... it would depend on the other bubble teams.

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Last season the CAA & Gateway each got 2 of the at large, the Socon, BigSky, OVC, and Big South (CCU) all got one. Big South and OVC won't get one this season. Those 2 will likely go to a 4th team/3rd at large CAA and a 3rd team/2nd at large SoCon. Gateway will highly likely still get in 3/2 at large. So unless the Big Sky doesn't get a 2nd team in (MSU) then I it could go to Southland's Nichols State (5-2), losses coming to I-A Nevada Reno and McNeese, and they beat I-A Rice, do have a Div II on schedule too, if they win out their remaining 4 games in which they'll be favored). I just don't see where there will be an at large there for San Diego, even if they finish 11-0 and beat UC Davis. UC Davis is 3-5 right now, probably 4-6 when they play San Diego.

Petrie Dish
October 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Last season the CAA & Gateway each got 2 of the at large, the Socon, BigSky, OVC, and Big South (CCU) all got one. Big South and OVC won't get one this season. Those 2 will likely go to a 4th team/3rd at large CAA and a 3rd team/2nd at large SoCon. Gateway will highly likely still get in 3/2 at large. So unless the Big Sky doesn't get a 2nd team in (MSU) then I it could go to Southland's Nichols State (5-2), losses coming to I-A Nevada Reno and McNeese, and they beat I-A Rice, do have a Div II on schedule too, if they win out their remaining 4 games in which they'll be favored). I just don't see where there will be an at large there for San Diego, even if they finish 11-0 and beat UC Davis. UC Davis is 3-5 right now, probably 4-6 when they play San Diego.

I wouldn't say highly likely for the Gateway getting two at-large. WIU or YSU would have to win out for that to happen, and they still have to play each other.

BDKJMU
October 23rd, 2007, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't say highly likely for the Gateway getting two at-large. WIU or YSU would have to win out for that to happen, and they still have to play each other.

Yeah, WIU @ SIU & @ YSU, that ain't happening. YSU would have to win @ UNI. That's my upset pick of the week. (Go ahead and laugh). I'm rooting for YSU to get in so JMU can get another shot at them. But if Gateway only gets in 2/1 at large then maybe USD could get in at 11-0 if they beat UC Davis convincingly.

AppGirl
October 23rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
Well, here's my stab at it. Changed things up a bit by setting SC State as the come from behind MEAC AQ, and Holy Cross as the PL AQ.

BSC - Montana
CAA - UMass
SoCon - Elon
SLC - McNeese St.
Gateway - UNI
OVC - E. Kentucky
PL - Holy Cross
MEAC - SC St.

At Large:
JMU
UNH
Delaware
Wofford
App St
SIU
YSU
San Diego

Brackets (Oh boy! here we go...)
1. UNI
EKU

JMU
Elon

App St
SC St.

4. McNeese St.
Wofford

3. UMass
Holy Cross

Delaware
SIU

YSU
UNH

2. Montana
San Diego

xrotatehx xthumbsupx xrotatehx

I'd hate to see all 3 SoCon teams on the same side of the bracket.xnonox

Go Apps
October 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
1 UNI
Fordham

N. Hampshire
Wofford (H)

Montana St
Delaware (H)

4 Montana
Nichols St

2 UMass
Delaware St

JMU (H)
S. Ill

ASU (H)
EKU

3 McNeese St
Elon

WrenFGun
October 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Boy, Go Apps, I've wanted a shot at UNI since they came to UNH and beat us 24-21. That would be ideal. We probably wouldn't have much of a shot in the dome, but it'd at least be a nice revenge chance.

UDBlueLotFan
October 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
There's no way the NCAA doesn't match UD/DSU 1st Rd, if they both get in. That's probrably the only no-brainer 1st Rd. matchupxnodx

Saluki_man
October 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Just noticed YSU's issues - take them out and replace w/ Montana St.... I think? :)

If your replacing YSU with Montana St, you better put Montana St and SIU together, because the committe will not send Montana St or UNH that far accross the country.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I dunno, they sent Furman to Montana St. last year. When you fly, does distance really matter than much?

In terms of all three SoCon teams on one side, that's an oversight. I guess switch the JMU/Elon game with the Delaware/SIU game and it's fixed.

I do expect a lot of conference teams to be matched up in Round 2 this year. I think SoCon and CAA teams will dominate the field in terms of sheer numbers of teams, so like 2004 when the CAA had 3 teams on one side, you will see that again. This helps defray travel costs and allows for a higher attendance % since teams are closer in proximity to each other.

In making pairings, it is essential to remember the rules of money and politics in these matters. ;)

bandl
October 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
If your replacing YSU with Montana St, you better put Montana St and SIU together, because the committe will not send Montana St or UNH that far accross the country.

Yes they will, and they have.

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM

It's happened many times before. They stick App, Furman and GaSo on one side and let them beat each other up.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM

My understanding is if the committee has to put a team on an airplane then locale has no bearing - If they determine (just for instance) that NH has to travel and they don't have a "bus-trip" match-up available then they could just as easily fly them to SC or to California ---

Khan4Cats
October 23rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
xeyebrowx I thought the playoffs were for teams, not individuals. xeyebrowx xcoffeex

The name Steve McNair comes to mind. He had Heisman-hype and played scholarship ball, but the reason Alcorn makes the playoffs in 1994 is because of one player and the attention he garnered and the NCAA could hype off of.

AZGrizFan
October 23rd, 2007, 12:00 PM

Well, when these crazy playoff predictions have half of the damned conference makin' the playoffs, they gotta go SOMEWHERE!!! ;) ;)

What's the CAA to do when 9 of their 12 teams make the playoffs?

JMU Duke Dog
October 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
xreadx Here is my current prediction for the 2007 playoffs:

Teams
Big Sky - Montana
CAA - Delaware, James Madison, Massachusetts, New Hampshire
Gateway - Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois
MEAC - Delaware State, Norfolk State
Ohio Valley - Eastern Kentucky
Patriot - Fordham
Pioneer - San Diego
Southern - Appalachian State, Elon, Wofford
Southland - McNeese State

First Round Pairings
San Diego (11-0) at #1 Northern Iowa (11-0)
New Hampshire (8-3) at Montana (11-0)

Eastern Kentucky (9-2) at #4 James Madison (10-1)
Elon (9-2) at Norfolk State (9-2)

Fordham (9-2) at #3 Massachusetts (10-1)
Delaware State (10-1) at Delaware (9-2)

Wofford (9-2) at #2 McNeese State (11-0)
Southern Illinois (10-1) at Appalachian State (9-2)

*I used my predicted final regular season overall records for each team.

Your thoughts? xcoffeex

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
JMU Duke Dog -- glad someone else has both MEAC schools in there!

Good bracket -- though Nicholls St from the SLC is the question mark. They got to win out, which is possible...if they do, that knocks someone, but who?

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM

Teams
Big Sky - Montana
Patriot - Fordham
Pioneer - San Diego

First Round Pairings

Your thoughts? xcoffeex

I would love to see San Diego get stuck with a game at the Dome!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/laughingmouse.gif

AlphaSigMD
October 23rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
First of all, I'd love to see elon make the playoffs, more so than any team other than AppState, but I just don't think its going to happen.

It will be very different from Elon here on out, now that they have a little target of their own. I would love to see them win out, but its probably not going to happen. They are still at Furman and at the Citadel. Both will play inspired football against the former fighting christians and one will likely come out on top. 8-3 with losses to South Florida, ASU and say, Furman "should" be enough to get them into the playoffs, but likely they'll still get woffed if they don't went the Autobid, which could still happen at 8-3.

So now that said.

UNI
Southern Ill
Youngstown State
Montana
Delaware State
McNeese State
Nicholls State
AppState
Wofford
Georgia Southern
UMass
James Madison
UNH
Delaware
EKU
Fordham

YSU/Nich/Montana State/Elon/GSU duke it out for the last 3 spots. It could go any way from there. I gave GSU the nod over Elon even though the loss is present because of
1. GSU is more likely to go undefeated here on out than Elon
2. GSU will make more money than Elon.

pantherfan
October 23rd, 2007, 09:02 PM

Teams
Big Sky - Montana
Patriot - Fordham
Pioneer - San Diego

First Round Pairings

Your thoughts? xcoffeex

If Montana goes 11-0, they will not be playing a 2nd rounder in the UNI-Dome. You can put me down on record there. Montana at 11-0 will be seeded. If not, they will be playing a 3 or 4 seed, not 1 in the 2nd.xreadx

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I would love to see San Diego get stuck with a game at the Dome!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/laughingmouse.gif

Me too!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BULLDOG8180
October 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
First of all, I'd love to see elon make the playoffs, more so than any team other than AppState, but I just don't think its going to happen.

It will be very different from Elon here on out, now that they have a little target of their own. I would love to see them win out, but its probably not going to happen. They are still at Furman and at the Citadel. Both will play inspired football against the former fighting christians and one will likely come out on top. 8-3 with losses to South Florida, ASU and say, Furman "should" be enough to get them into the playoffs, but likely they'll still get woffed if they don't went the Autobid, which could still happen at 8-3.

So now that said.

UNI
Southern Ill
Youngstown State
Montana
Delaware State
McNeese State
Nicholls State
AppState
Wofford
Georgia Southern
UMass
James Madison
UNH
Delaware
EKU
Fordham

YSU/Nich/Montana State/Elon/GSU duke it out for the last 3 spots. It could go any way from there. I gave GSU the nod over Elon even though the loss is present because of
1. GSU is more likely to go undefeated here on out than Elon
2. GSU will make more money than Elon.

I am so happy everyone thinks that El Cid is done. No more conference wins. xnonox . All the talk is about AE and JF and the Riddle kid. Neither App or GSU or Elon for that matter has shown any ability to stop anybody on Defense. The Citadel will bring the best dual threat QB in the conference this year into each game. I don't believe they can stop him.

Wofford wraps up auto birth, Citadel and App St. get at large births.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 24th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Per San Diego - I need some help - Why would the committee take SD for an at-large berth instead of a 2nd/3rd team from a major conference? - I'm not trying to knock SD and I'm sure they are a good team - BUT you have to beat some quality teams! - If someone knows this info please inform us - I have read that SD had a chance to schedule at least a couple of quality teams for Out of Conference games and declined- --- If someone makes the argument that SD should get in even with only 1 win over a division foe (and not a strong one at that) THEN Northern Iowa should be considered for a BCS bowl - they are undefeated and won their only game against a BCS team???

Pauly LB
October 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Per San Diego - I need some help - Why would the committee take SD for an at-large berth instead of a 2nd/3rd team from a major conference? - I'm not trying to knock SD and I'm sure they are a good team - BUT you have to beat some quality teams! - If someone knows this info please inform us - I have read that SD had a chance to schedule at least a couple of quality teams for Out of Conference games and declined- --- If someone makes the argument that SD should get in even with only 1 win over a division foe (and not a strong one at that) THEN Northern Iowa should be considered for a BCS bowl - they are undefeated and won their only game against a BCS team???

San Diego did NOT play the kind of schedule that should receive any playoff consideration. According to the Jeff Sagarin Power Rankings San Diego's schedule is ranked #239 out of 242 teams in division 1A and 1AA (all of FCB and FBS). That's right -- only 3 teams in all of division 1 football played easier schedules. It is fairly common knowledge that they turned down the opportunity to play Cal Poly. Whether or not Cal Poly was willing to travel to San Diego to play is irrelevant. San Diego knew that they had a weak schedule and should have taken any opportunity to play a quality football team.

Yes, San Diego is obviously a good team but with their schedule they should be expected to win 15 of their 11 games (just kidding). They should win every game which might make them one of the top 25 teams in FCS but should not get them any playoff consideration.

Discussing San Diego's schedule is really getting old. I don't see that they have any chance of being chosen as an at-large team. San Diego should consider their game against UC Davis to be their playoff game.

AlphaSigMD
October 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I am so happy everyone thinks that El Cid is done. No more conference wins. xnonox . All the talk is about AE and JF and the Riddle kid. Neither App or GSU or Elon for that matter has shown any ability to stop anybody on Defense. The Citadel will bring the best dual threat QB in the conference this year into each game. I don't believe they can stop him.

Wofford wraps up auto birth, Citadel and App St. get at large births.

So, you must be thinking that the Citadel will go 4-0 over the next 4 games, because they certainly won't go to the playoffs at 8-3. Sure, you played amazingly well against wisconsin for 1 half of football, but your other non-conference schedule is very, weak. VMI, Charleston Southern and an NAIA dormat. Even if you lose to GSU and win against ASU, i still don;t think 8-3 gets you in.

nmatsen
October 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Teams
Big Sky - Montana
Patriot - Fordham
Pioneer - San Diego

First Round Pairings

Your thoughts? xcoffeex

If you think that an 11-0 Montana team doesn't pull the one or two seed you are freaking looney! The NCAA will look for every reason they can to give Montana as many home games as possible. Not saying I agree with it, just the way it is.

JMU Duke Dog
October 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
If you think that an 11-0 Montana team doesn't pull the one or two seed you are freaking looney! The NCAA will look for every reason they can to give Montana as many home games as possible. Not saying I agree with it, just the way it is.

That is true. It is very difficult to predict how things will finish up in the regular season as crazy as 2007 has already been. I am sure we will see some upsets. I changed my predicted bracket at least 5 times yesterday. I now disagree with what I ended up posting too! xoopsx