View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Nine

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
SLC Record: 10-3
Overall: 31-12

Sam Houston State @ Stephen F Austin
SHSU has dominated this series as of late outside of a 50+ yard field goal a few years back in Huntsville from a kicker that couldn't find the uprights from about 20 yards earlier in the contest. The Bearkats with a former Lumberjack QB at the helm of the program will continue this streak and win the Piney Woods trophy that makes it's debut this season. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Texas State - San Marcos @ Northwestern State
The Demons are 3-0 at home thus far this season and the Bobcats have not had their share of luck on the road to this point in the season. NWST is going to take the win here. NORTHWESTERN STATE

Nicholls State at Central Arkansas
UCA will be home and Nicholls St is on the ropes as far as a bid to the NCAA playoffs go as anymore losses will end their chances at chasing McNeese (who already has the tiebreaker) or getting the wins necessary to make the playoffs. Nicholls had a lot on the line, but UCA is a very tough team to beat at home, especially as they chase the SLC title as well. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

SE Louisiana at McNeese State
McNeese State is at the friendly confines of home at night and I think the Pokes are not going to have much problems knocking off a very tough Lions squad. McNEESE STATE

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
I think the Nicholls State at Central Arkansas game is a very interesting matchup. I think the Colonels have a very good secondary. Looked to me last night that it was by far the best secondary the Cowboys have faced this season.

Also, as I wrote in another thread, I think the 28-7 score of last night's McNeese/Nicholls game is deceptive. Nicholls State set McNeese up with a short field with one turnover and also fumbled the ball away twice when it had promising drives going. I think McNeese did have the edge in play but it was a very little one.

BEAR
October 21st, 2007, 09:28 AM
I'm going with:

Sam
North
Central
SELA-if SELA plays defense like they did last night and Lucas (SLCs best RB hands down) gets his ground game and the Lions get a bit of a pass game going....look out!

I guess if there are 2 playoff spots and UCA isn't eligible, then it appears that everyone else besides McNeese is playing for that second spot. xrulesx xlolx

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
I guess if there are 2 playoff spots and UCA isn't eligible, then it appears that everyone else besides McNeese is playing for that second spot. xrulesx xlolx

Only way that Nicholls makes the playoffs is winning out, in order to get the seven Div I wins that are needed...they need to be 9-2 as they have two sub-Div I wins (Asuza Pacific and Southern Arkansas)...

SLC is a one-bid conference if they do not...

Freightliner
October 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
xrulesx Freightliner's Record xrulesx
OOC Record: 23-7
SLC Record: 11-2
Overall: 34-9

McNeese75
October 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
SHSU - The Kats have too much offensive firepower for the Jacks.
NW - The home field advantage wins this one.
Nicholls - Nicholls secondary is very salty and that along with a good running game should give the Colonel's what they need to win this one.
McNeese - This game is in the hole and although SELA won there in 2004, this isn't that Cowboys Team and Martin Hankins is not taking snaps for the Lions.

Lionsrking
October 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
I'm going with:

Sam
North
Central
SELA-if SELA plays defense like they did last night and Lucas (SLCs best RB hands down) gets his ground game and the Lions get a bit of a pass game going....look out!

We'll be competitive with McNeese next week. We're banged up and reeling a little after two heartbreakers in a row but we're not intimidated by the Cowboys like most Southland teams are. If we don't turn the ball over, we'll have a chance to win.

Dallas Demon
October 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM
TT's Predictions
SLC Record: 10-3
Overall: 31-12

SHSU has dominated this series as of late outside of a 50+ yard field goal a few years back in Huntsville from a kicker that couldn't find the uprights from about 20 yards earlier in the contest. The Bearkats with a former Lumberjack QB at the helm of the program will continue this streak and win the Piney Woods trophy that makes it's debut this season. SAM HOUSTON STATE

The Demons are 3-0 at home thus far this season and the Bobcats have not had their share of luck on the road to this point in the season. NWST is going to take the win here. NORTHWESTERN STATE

UCA will be home and Nicholls St is on the ropes as far as a bid to the NCAA playoffs go as anymore losses will end their chances at chasing McNeese (who already has the tiebreaker) or getting the wins necessary to make the playoffs. Nicholls had a lot on the line, but UCA is a very tough team to beat at home, especially as they chase the SLC title as well. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

McNeese State is at the friendly confines of home at night and I think the Pokes are not going to have much problems knocking off a very tough Lions squad. McNEESE STATE

I agree with your picks.

FormerPokeCenter
October 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM
We'll be competitive with McNeese next week. We're banged up and reeling a little after two heartbreakers in a row but we're not intimidated by the Cowboys like most Southland teams are. If we don't turn the ball over, we'll have a chance to win.

I've seen you play in person. I doubt it's going to be a competitive game.

The only way you'll have a chance to win is if McNeese turns the ball over to you...a LOT.

I admire your optimism in the face of reality, though...

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM

The only way you'll have a chance to win is if McNeese turns the ball over to you...a LOT.

I admit that I'm concerned about Southeastern after they played UCA close last night. But I've reached the point of thinking pretty many people apparently tend to underestimate this McNeese team. Maybe it's because the program was down for a few years. There weren't too many people being intimidated by McNeese in 2004 and 2005...and Southeastern handled McNeese pretty easily both years.

I think this McNeese team is better than any Southeastern's played since it restarted its football program, though. I'd guess that the teams that have played McNeese every year 2003 - 2007 agree with that assessment.

McNeese72
October 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
Aw, come on. We all know that SLU is going to beat the crap out of us. Our Qb isn't as good as the other team's (no matter who we play), we have no receivers since Whitehead went down, especially any with speed, and no runningbacks at all since Jamie Leonard went down. On defense we can't get any pass rush and have no speed at all. We can't stop the run up the middle and can't play pass defense worth a crap. Might as well pick against us every week. xsmiley_wix

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
October 21st, 2007, 01:54 PM
I admit that I'm concerned about Southeastern after they played UCA close last night. But I've reached the point of thinking pretty many people apparently tend to underestimate this McNeese team. Maybe it's because the program was down for a few years. There weren't too many people being intimidated by McNeese in 2004 and 2005...and Southeastern handled McNeese pretty easily both years.

I think this McNeese team is better than any Southeastern's played since it restarted its football program, though. I'd guess that the teams that have played McNeese every year 2003 - 2007 agree with that assessment.

After having seen Southeastern's game at Northwestern, I'm of the opinion that Southeastern will have to find a way to block Vaalyn Jackson one on one to establish a running game, and I don't think they have the personnel up front to do it. They have great kids, they're just a year or two away from being the sort of team that some of their posters believe them to currently be.

Northwestern held Lucas to a 2.5 yard per rush average in the second half.

Southeastern is going to have to double Jackson, or figure out some scheme to get him to take himself ouf of the play to put Lucas in a position to get more than that per yard. If they double him, somebody else is going to go free. McNeese's pursuit is, pardon the pun, demonstrably faster than the Demons. I could be way off base, but I don't see Southeastern being able to run on us very effectively.

The other thing is that unless Southeastern can establish the run, they're going to be forced to pass and Babin's not mobile enough to have the sort of time he'd need to pick us apart. Their other QB is much more mobile...

Defensively, I think they're a little too young and light to be able to conrol the line of scrimmage for any length of time. They'll make some plays, but I don't see them dictating terms up front.

Obvioiusly, Southeastern's going to show up and play hard, but I don't think that's going to be enough....

MaximumBobcat
October 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM

Dallas Demon
October 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM

John, poor fellow, you worry WAY too much (at least about football what what bad could happen). The Cowboys will go undefeated in the regular season and unless something unforseen happens will go deep into the playoffs. This is easily the best McNeese team since 2002 and has the potential to be better.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM

Glad to see there is a Bobcat out there who does not mind mentioning the name of that fine town their institution is based in...xrulesx

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
I do think Southeastern's dangerous. I haven't seen the Lions play but I have seen UCA play and I respect anybody that beats them or is competetive with them. But I'm reasonably optimistic because this McNeese team has, so far, been very consistent in its play.

blackfordpu
October 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Sam Houston State @ Stephen F Austin - Kats finally know what if feels like to win a SLC game this season. They keep it rolling and win the first Piney Woods Trophy.

Texas State - San Marcos @ Northwestern State - The Demons bounce back from a tough game against the Kats and take it to the bobkitties. I'll take the Demons at home.

Nicholls State at Central Arkansas - It is hard to pick against the Bears at home, especially this season, but I think the Nicholls offense confuses UCA just enough to squeak out of Arkansas with a win.

SE Louisiana at McNeese State - UPSET ALERT - Call me crazy but I think the Cowboys have a hic-cup this week against the Lions.

blackfordpu
October 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM

Have you been paying any attention to college football this season? The top ten are dropping like flies. Anything is possible on any given Saturday.

FormerPokeCenter
October 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Have you been paying any attention to college football this season? The top ten are dropping like flies. Anything is possible on any given Saturday.

The Top Ten is a subjective popularity contest. As a rule, popularity contests aren't a very effective measure of a person or entity's worth.

The only way to really find out what somebody's worth is in head's up competition.

We can meet back here next Sunday and discuss our respective points of views....

McNeese75
October 21st, 2007, 07:21 PM
SE Louisiana[/B] at McNeese State - UPSET ALERT - Call me crazy but I think the Cowboys have a hic-cup this week against the Lions.

Now where is Patassle and his SE pick? xlolx

McNeese72
October 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
SE Louisiana at McNeese State - UPSET ALERT - Call me crazy but I think the Cowboys have a hic-cup this week against the Lions.

I'm beginning to think that it is becoming a weekly upset prediction, if not by you, at least by someone. :)

Doc

Lionsrking
October 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM

Whatever you say pal.

BEAR
October 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Whatever you say pal.

Hey, many Bear fans said the same thing..I was one of them. I couldn't imagine how a power pass offense and a decent run game could be shut down by a team that was illusionisticly in last place in run defense..then it was cleared up..on the stats and the field..it's hard to give a score on this one because I haven't seen Mc play yet (kinda the same situation with SELA last week) but I'll say SELA by 3xlolx

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
Hey, many Bear fans said the same thing..I was one of them. I couldn't imagine how a power pass offense and a decent run game could be shut down by a team that was illusionisticly in last place in run defense..then it was cleared up..on the stats and the field..it's hard to give a score on this one because I haven't seen Mc play yet (kinda the same situation with SELA last week) but I'll say SELA by 3xlolx

I always preface everything I say with recognition that college football is unpredictable. However, Northwestern State rushed for 245 yards on 51 carries against the Lions. So at least one FCS team was able to run on them pretty well. And McNeese has, so far at least, had a solid running game. It's not as good as it'd be if their starter at tailback hadn't gotten hurt, but it's still been good.

McNeese has given up yards on the ground too. Not a whole lot of points (6th in FCS at 14.9 ppg right now), but they've surrendered some yards. They tend to make big plays on defense (8th in FCS tackles for loss, tied for 8th in sacks, tied for 9th in turnovers gained) and disrupt drives in that way.

We'll see.

McNeese75
October 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM

Sounds more like a wish to me xnodx

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Sounds more like a wish to me xnodx

http://www.sportsonline.com.au/images/Products/7108.jpg

McTailGator
October 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Only way that Nicholls makes the playoffs is winning out, in order to get the seven Div I wins that are needed...they need to be 9-2 as they have two sub-Div I wins (Asuza Pacific and Southern Arkansas)...

SLC is a one-bid conference if they do not...

I have no doubt that Nic will win out.

Their secondary is just awesome and held what I think is the best group of wide recievers to less than 100 yards of recieving. Even if our game plan was to run first, McNeese has been averaging close to 300 yards in the air. And they almost shut us down, and made it VERY difficult to throw.

Thank god we have an outstanding WB who know when to throw and knew when to run. Coaches gave him the option to throw, handoff or tuck and run, and he and Chris bush each ran for over 100 yards putting on a ground game show with the triple option Colonels and out rushing their vaunted offense.

NICHOLS WILL GO DEEP INTO THE PLAYOFFS AND THEY WILL NOT LOSE ANOTHER GAME THIS YEAR

The rest of my picks

]Sam Houston State @ Stephen F Austin
SE Louisiana at McNeese State[/

McTailGator
October 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM

Ha!xnonox

McNeese beats Lions by >4 touchdowns. And that will happen by the end of the third quarter.

McTailGator
October 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM

xnonono2x

I think you will compete rather well with our 2nd and 3rd teams in the 4th quarter.

And I'm NOT smiling when I write this.

McTailGator
October 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Sam Houston State @ Stephen F Austin - Kats finally know what if feels like to win a SLC game this season. They keep it rolling and win the first Piney Woods Trophy.

Texas State - San Marcos @ Northwestern State - The Demons bounce back from a tough game against the Kats and take it to the bobkitties. I'll take the Demons at home.

Nicholls State at Central Arkansas - It is hard to pick against the Bears at home, especially this season, but I think the Nicholls offense confuses UCA just enough to squeak out of Arkansas with a win.

NO SLC hick ups this year...OR NEXT.

GeauxColonels
October 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM
I think the Nicholls State at Central Arkansas game is a very interesting matchup. I think the Colonels have a very good secondary. Looked to me last night that it was by far the best secondary the Cowboys have faced this season.

Also, as I wrote in another thread, I think the 28-7 score of last night's McNeese/Nicholls game is deceptive. Nicholls State set McNeese up with a short field with one turnover and also fumbled the ball away twice when it had promising drives going. I think McNeese did have the edge in play but it was a very little one.
That sounds like what I heard about the game from family and friends that were there (as I couldn't make the game due to a prior commitment). After really controlling the turnovers for the majority of the season, it was a TERRIBLE time for them to start happenning. That being said, the Cowboys did what they needed to do once they got the ball. Congrats and good luck the rest of the way.

As for the UCA/Nicholls State game, I'm hoping most people overlook us. After seeing UCA against Texas State, I'm extremely impressed with their offense and their execution. It's going to be a tough match-up. The Colonels need to play ball-control offense and seriously limit the amount of time the Bears' offense is out on the field. And to do that, they MUST limit the turnovers. Should be interesting.

GeauxColonels
October 21st, 2007, 11:10 PM

Those are my pics. I'm pretty amazed at the opinions of the McNeese fans on here after the game. I know that Nicholls State is a top-25 team. To me, there is no doubt in my mind. But to make the prediction that this team will not lose another game in the regular season is more confident than I can be at this point. We have to put a stop to the fumbles quickly. That is something that completely KILLS a triple-option offense. It's very difficult for us to come back after being down by multiple scores.

The game this week will be tough. UCA is a very tough team. The strength of the Nicholls State defense is the secondary, and they MUST come to play this week if they have any chance to win.

McNeese_beat
October 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
The game this week will be tough. UCA is a very tough team. The strength of the Nicholls State defense is the secondary, and they MUST come to play this week if they have any chance to win.[/QUOTE]

I think you guys had the best team McNeese has played. It's going to be hard for you to win out with the road-heavy schedule, but if I'm pulling for it, because its' the league's only way to get an at-large.

And if you are in the playoffs, I think you have a shot.

GeauxColonels
October 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM
The game this week will be tough. UCA is a very tough team. The strength of the Nicholls State defense is the secondary, and they MUST come to play this week if they have any chance to win.

I think you guys had the best team McNeese has played. It's going to be hard for you to win out with the road-heavy schedule, but if I'm pulling for it, because its' the league's only way to get an at-large.

And if you are in the playoffs, I think you have a shot.[/QUOTE]
You and me both!

blackfordpu
October 22nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

You seem to be taking everything personally. Calm down there big guy, they are just predictions.

UCABEARS75
October 22nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Aw, come on. We all know that SLU is going to beat the crap out of us. Our Qb isn't as good as the other team's (no matter who we play), we have no receivers since Whitehead went down, especially any with speed, and no runningbacks at all since Jamie Leonard went down. On defense we can't get any pass rush and have no speed at all. We can't stop the run up the middle and can't play pass defense worth a crap. Might as well pick against us every week. xsmiley_wix

Doc

LMAO!!!

UCABEARS75
October 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM

HUH?

They didn't teach big words like that back in the dark ages when I went to UCA.

Tillou
October 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
The NSU/CA game will be close, given no rain or other weather related event. I'll say NSU by 3.

JoshUCA
October 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Sam Houston State @ Stephen F Austin- No problem for SHSU as SFA is clearly the worst team in the league.

Texas State - San Marcos @ Northwestern State - This one will probably be pretty close, but I think NW State gets it done at home.

Nicholls State @ Central Arkansas - This is the SLC game of the week (IMHO). It is Homecoming at UCA and there should be a record crowd on hand to watch this one. UCA plays very well at home and will be ready for Nicholls and will get it done once again!

SE Louisiana @ McNeese State - Although SELA is a good team, they are not good enough to knock off McNeese.

Lionsrking
October 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM

What's a "hick up?"

McNeese72
October 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
What's a "hick up?"

The McTailgator special spell checker version of "hiccup" or "hiccough".

We all know that Greg plays his own drum when it comes to spelling. :)

Doc

slycat
October 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
SHSU over SFA - the bearkats beat the jacks to getting a D1 win this year. they will double that number this week

NWST over TxSt - the demons have been inconsistent but the bobcats have been awful on the road this year and its tough to play at nwst.

Nicholls over UCA - i want this win so nsu can have a chance at an auto bid

McNeese over SELA - it may be close but the cowboys are back this year.

JohnStOnge
October 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
But to make the prediction that this team will not lose another game in the regular season is more confident than I can be at this point. We have to put a stop to the fumbles quickly. That is something that completely KILLS a triple-option offense. It's very difficult for us to come back after being down by multiple scores.

I'm not one who says Nicholls is a lock to win out and make the playoffs. Not at all. I'd say that the odds of y'all beating Texas State and SFA are very good but there's a lot of doubt about the other ones. And UCA is a good football team with a very potent offense.

That's what makes this week's game interesting. I'll be interested in seeing if what I think...based on watching the Northwestern State game on TV and the McNeese game in person... is an excellent Nicholls State secondary can slow the Bears passing attack down some.

Then there's the interesting matchup when Nicholls State, with its very strong option style running attack, has the ball against UCA's defense.

We won't know until they match up. I wish it was on TV so I could DVR it. Going in it sure looks like the conference game of the week.

UCAMonkey
October 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
I'm not one who says Nicholls is a lock to win out and make the playoffs. Not at all. I'd say that the odds of y'all beating Texas State and SFA are very good but there's a lot of doubt about the other ones. And UCA is a good football team with a very potent offense.

That's what makes this week's game interesting. I'll be interested in seeing if what I think...based on watching the Northwestern State game on TV and the McNeese game in person... is an excellent Nicholls State secondary can slow the Bears passing attack down some.

Then there's the interesting matchup when Nicholls State, with its very strong option style running attack, has the ball against UCA's defense.

We won't know until they match up. I wish it was on TV so I could DVR it. Going in it sure looks like the conference game of the week.

You should be able to watch it on replay.

Sat. Oct. 27 Nicholls State at Central Arkansas Southland TV (web streaming) 6 p.m.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
SHSU over SFA - the bearkats beat the jacks to getting a D1 win this year. they will double that number this week

NWST over TxSt - the demons have been inconsistent but the bobcats have been awful on the road this year and its tough to play at nwst.

Nicholls over UCA - i want this win so nsu can have a chance at an auto bid
McNeese over SELA - it may be close but the cowboys are back this year.

Oh. I hadn't thought of that. McNeese and Nicholls could make the playoffs with a win at UCA. Heck, UCA in ineligible, so why not? But it is homecoming and that close win at SELA really woke up the offensive line and defense. There's nothing more dangerous than a team that just got off a 63 point win to squeak by another team on a last second drive. It woke them up for sure! Nicholls will have a tough game of it, even if they win. But a UCA loss would help out the conference possibly get another in the playoffs. xeyebrowx xreadx xrolleyesx

msusig
October 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Winners this week:
McNeese State over SELA
McNeese keeps on track running the table.
Sam Houston State over SFA
SFA is done for the season. Time to rebuild.
Northwestern State over Texas State
Texas State cant do much more to salvage the season against NWST
Nicholls State over Central Arkansas
Nicholls will win out the rest of its season unless they can't recover from loss.

Possible Final Standings for Southland conference give or take one game:
1 McNeese State 11-0 (7-0)
2 Nicholls State 9-2 (6-1)
3 Central Arkansas 6-5 (4-3)
4 Sam Houston State 6-5 (4-3)
5 Northwestern State 5-6 (4-3)
6 SELA 3-8 (2-5)
7 Texas State 2-9 (1-6)
8 SFA 0-11 (0-7)

SFA 71
October 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
You seem to be taking everything personally. Calm down there big guy, they are just predictions.

... does that all the time. And then brags about how calm & astute he is. Go figure.xthumbsupx

Tillou
October 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Northwestern over Texas State
Sam Houston over Stephan F. Austin
McNeese over Southeastern only if McNeese can keep Lucas in check.
Nicholls over Central Arkansas only if Nicholls plays better than last week

Hopefully the guys down the bayou and recover from the lost last week.

GeauxLions94
October 24th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Throw out the records (yes SFA's winless one) when these two get together in another Piney Woods showdown ... the anticipated Bomar- Southall showdown has been cut in half with DS on the bench ... but Moses comes off a good week and has Jacks primed for the upset. UPSET SPECIAL of the week STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Texas State @ Northwestern State
Demons are great at home, terrible on the road. Bobcats' last road game is one most TXST fans want to forget. NORTHWESTERN STATE

UCA was nearly sent to 0-3 against the state of Louisiana last week in Hammond. But after being riddled by Jay Lucas for much of the night, the Bears made one great stop on defense which led to Nathan Brown riddling the Lion secondary late in a 37-33 win. Nicholls State will have success on the ground ... but not the scoreboard as it makes the long trip to Conway. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State
Lions have gone 2-2 against Cowboys since bringing back football with both wins coming when McNeese State was ranked (No. 6 in 2004, No. 20 in 2005) ... Lions have matched up well against Cowboys with exception of 2003 when top-ranked Pokes rumbled to 38-point win over "expansion" Lions and had second-half meltdown (one of many) last year after quieting Cowboy Stadium crowd in first half ... SLU will give Cowboys fits, but homefield advantage, Bryan Smith and Co. will be too much. MCNEESE STATE

Retro
October 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Throw out the records (yes SFA's winless one) when these two get together in another Piney Woods showdown ... the anticipated Bomar- Southall showdown has been cut in half with DS on the bench ... but Moses comes off a good week and has Jacks primed for the upset. UPSET SPECIAL of the week STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Texas State @ Northwestern State
Demons are great at home, terrible on the road. Bobcats' last road game is one most TXST fans want to forget. NORTHWESTERN STATE

UCA was nearly sent to 0-3 against the state of Louisiana last week in Hammond. But after being riddled by Jay Lucas for much of the night, the Bears made one great stop on defense which led to Nathan Brown riddling the Lion secondary late in a 37-33 win. Nicholls State will have success on the ground ... but not the scoreboard as it makes the long trip to Conway. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese State
Lions have gone 2-2 against Cowboys since bringing back football with both wins coming when McNeese State was ranked (No. 6 in 2004, No. 20 in 2005) ... Lions have matched up well against Cowboys with exception of 2003 when top-ranked Pokes rumbled to 38-point win over "expansion" Lions and had second-half meltdown (one of many) last year after quieting Cowboy Stadium crowd in first half ... SLU will give Cowboys fits, but homefield advantage, Bryan Smith and Co. will be too much. MCNEESE STATE

Geez, you guys beat Mcneese in their worst season EVER (2004) and then again in 2005 (hurricane year, where team lived and practiced at SELA campus), act like last year was a fluke that Mcneese won and then emphasize the word expansion when Mcneese won in 2003? Just face it, you beat Mcneese in the worst possible situations and years..xcoffeex

To show you how bad the Mcneese team was in 2004, look at what everyone else did and then look at your 2004 wins.. That's a helluva group of powerful wins that year to go 7-4!xrolleyesx

What you will see this year is more like the mcneese of 2003, but more focused and much better than anything since 2002.. When you beat a good mcneese team and win some conference titles, then you can brag about how well you matchup with mcneese instead of gloating over wins of that caliber after just 4 meetings! xnonox

Retro
October 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Geez, you guys beat Mcneese in their worst season EVER (2004) and then again in 2005 (hurricane year, where team lived and practiced at SELA campus), act like last year was a fluke that Mcneese won and then emphasize the word expansion when Mcneese won in 2003? Just face it, you beat Mcneese in the worst possible situations and years..xcoffeex

To show you how bad the Mcneese team was in 2004, look at what everyone else did and then look at your 2004 wins.. That's a helluva group of powerful wins that year to go 7-4!xrolleyesx

What you will see this year is more like the mcneese of 2003, but more focused and much better than anything since 2002.. When you beat a good mcneese team and win some conference titles, then you can brag about how well you matchup with mcneese instead of gloating over wins of that caliber after just 4 meetings! xnonox

BTW, That 2004 ranking was based on the previous year's results and having won the first game over ark-mont. more than anything as mcneese wasn't ranked the rest of the year after 3 games..

Lionsrking
October 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM

GL94 wasn't gloating as much as stating the facts. We're 2-2 against McNeese since '03, which is a fact. You beat us in our "expansion year" which is a fact. We won in '04 and '05 which is fact, and we had a second half meltdown last year which is also a fact. Not sure why you find it so offensive.

Retro
October 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
GL94 wasn't gloating as much as stating the facts. We're 2-2 against McNeese since '03, which is a fact. You beat us in our "expansion year" which is a fact. We won in '04 and '05 which is fact, and we had a second half meltdown last year which is also a fact. Not sure why you find it so offensive.

I don't find it offensive, just stupid, the way he emphasizes the reason you lost in 2003 and 2006, while not emphasizing the teams you beat in 2004 and 2005. That's the point.. A 2-2 record againest Mcneese in these last 4 years is nothing to be impressed by.. A win againest this Mcneese team is and then well see what happens over the long term.xthumbsupx

Lionsrking
October 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I don't find it offensive, just stupid, the way he emphasizes the reason you lost in 2003 and 2006, while not emphasizing the teams you beat in 2004 and 2005. That's the point.. A 2-2 record againest Mcneese in these last 4 years is nothing to be impressed by.. A win againest this Mcneese team is and then well see what happens over the long term.xthumbsupx

Who said it was impressive? He merely set the table for this game by stating how the series is 2-2 since we brought the program back. Cowboy fans sure are touchy.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Who said it was impressive? He merely set the table for this game by stating how the series is 2-2 since we brought the program back. Cowboy fans sure are touchy.

xnodx xnodx xnodx

JohnStOnge
October 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM

"Meltdown" is kind of a subjective term. The "fact" is that McNeese beat Southeastern last year.

Another fact is that Southeastern beat a 2004 McNeese team that set a McNeese record for points allowed and allowed 50 or more points 5 times in 11 games. Still another fact is that Southeastern's 2 wins against McNeese in 2004 and 2005 came against 2 of the 3 teams McNeese has had since 1990 that didn't make the playoffs; nor would they have made the playoffs had they beaten Southeastern.

Final fact: Southeastern is 4-11 in Southland games since officially starting league play.

McNeese72
October 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Yaaawwwnnnnn!!!

FormerPokeCenter
October 24th, 2007, 06:10 PM
You guys didn't learn anything from reading about B'rer Rabbit, did you?

That green and yellow tar is awfully hard to get off your hands once you touch it...

Ever seen the Monty Python sketch about the black knight? We could hang 60 on them and they'll be back the next day proclaiming it to be a mere self-inflicted fleshwound...

Kool-Aid doesn't come in just Vermillion red, it's also available in convenient economy-sized Lemon Lime yellow and green.......

GeauxLions94
October 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM

OK, your team sucked those years. Better now??? xrolleyesx

GeauxLions94
October 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM
"Meltdown" is kind of a subjective term. The "fact" is that McNeese beat Southeastern last year.

Another fact is that Southeastern beat a 2004 McNeese team that set a McNeese record for points allowed and allowed 50 or more points 5 times in 11 games. Still another fact is that Southeastern's 2 wins against McNeese in 2004 and 2005 came against 2 of the 3 teams McNeese has had since 1990 that didn't make the playoffs; nor would they have made the playoffs had they beaten Southeastern.

Final fact: Southeastern is 4-11 in Southland games since officially starting league play.

Facts they are JSO xnodx, and all good ones too. They're facts we're not too proud of. Nor is our road record since 2003 (no wins away from Hammond since the 2005 season finale).

Credit the Cowboys for taking advantage of miscues in the second half last year (possible without all the screwups in the third quarter you still come back).

McNeese has been the benchmark in the Southland Conference for a long time and that is what we strive to be. If 11 SLC titles doesn't say it, nothing will.

Sure, we're in our fifth year back after an 18-year layoff and don't have any skins on the wall. You won in 2003 with a very good team (until the loss to Northern Arizona in the playoffs) and loss of Sams, Lawton, etc., took their toll in 2004.

We beat a VERY BAD Cowboy team in 2004. The stats on that game and the McNeese season do not lie. The 2005 game (and your season for that matter) was a distraction for you guys because of Rita (but I do remember game week and TT really wanting that game bad).

But you can also say the 2006 season for us was a distraction due to Roland's cancer, his subsequent absence and the events leading to his departure.

What I said earlier in my prediction wasn't meant as a slight to McNeese State or any Cowboy fan. I, along with many Southeastern fans, have great respect for McNeese and hope you guys can make it to Chattanooga and win the thing.

We just not going to respect you for one game that's all :p

xpeacex xpeacex xpeacex

Lionsrking
October 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yaaawwwnnnnn!!!

Better go get yourself some sleep there buddy.

Lionsrking
October 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Fair enough. I'll rephrase it...

McNeese beat Southeastern last year, aided by three second half turnovers on three consecutive possessions which led directly to 17 points. After Southeastern had led, 13-3, at halftime. Subjective or not, the term "meltdown" is easily supported by the facts.

McNeese72
October 25th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Better go get yourself some sleep there buddy.

All this arguing crap eventually starts to get boring.

I'm ready to play the game!!

Doc

katstrapper
October 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Sam Houston State @ Stephen F Austin--Kats will get their 7th win in 8 tries over SFA. Bomar and Co. will be too much.

Texas State - San Marcos @ Northwestern State--Demon Stadium is a tough place to play and Tx State hasnt been a good road team.

Nicholls State at Central Arkansas--I think the Colonels are that good this year. This is a tough pick though because UCA is explosive.

SE Louisiana at McNeese State-- #5 ranked Pokes too much for the Lions.

FormerPokeCenter
October 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM

McNeese beat Southeastern last year, aided by three second half turnovers on three consecutive possessions which led directly to 17 points. After Southeastern had led, 13-3, at halftime. Subjective or not, the term "meltdown" is easily supported by the facts.

I like the way you conveniently overlook McNeese's first half meltdown last year. But that's different, right?

Have you noticed that the common thread in all the posts you make after a SLU loss is that it's only YOU who had a meltdown in specific situations? When the other team obviously and clearly plays poorly, you're inclined to view that as the natural order of things, but when you're unable to execute either because of focus or the other team's superior talent, it's a SLU meltdown.

I'm not Karnack the Magnificent and I definitely don't have my potentate hat on, but I can almost see your posts word for word before I actually log on and read them.

It's the same whether or not you lose to UCA, McNeese, Northwestern or whoever. You find some sort of highly subjective evidence that you guys imploded and you hang your hat on that, ignoring completely what the other team may have done to stupidly let you stay in the game.

This year's Northwestern game is a prime example. You got dominated in three quarters, but managed to exploit Northwestern's complete lack of focus in the second quarter to get back in the game and - somehow - you manage to spin the loss into a meltdown and poor coaching in not getting Jay Lucas more touches when he only averaged 2.5 yards per carry in the second half.

True, he had a great second quarter, but your team got stuffed for three quarters. That's not a meltdown, you got physically whipped.

The evidence is right there in front of you, as it always is.

Why don't you try taking off the green and gold glasses? And, by the way, you might wanna wipe that Lemon Lime punch off of your face, It's dribbling down from the corners of your mouth....

Lionsrking
October 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I like the way you conveniently overlook McNeese's first half meltdown last year. But that's different, right?

Have you noticed that the common thread in all the posts you make after a SLU loss is that it's only YOU who had a meltdown in specific situations? When the other team obviously and clearly plays poorly, you're inclined to view that as the natural order of things, but when you're unable to execute either because of focus or the other team's superior talent, it's a SLU meltdown.

I'm not Karnack the Magnificent and I definitely don't have my potentate hat on, but I can almost see your posts word for word before I actually log on and read them.

It's the same whether or not you lose to UCA, McNeese, Northwestern or whoever. You find some sort of highly subjective evidence that you guys imploded and you hang your hat on that, ignoring completely what the other team may have done to stupidly let you stay in the game.

This year's Northwestern game is a prime example. You got dominated in three quarters, but managed to exploit Northwestern's complete lack of focus in the second quarter to get back in the game and - somehow - you manage to spin the loss into a meltdown and poor coaching in not getting Jay Lucas more touches when he only averaged 2.5 yards per carry in the second half.

True, he had a great second quarter, but your team got stuffed for three quarters. That's not a meltdown, you got physically whipped.

The evidence is right there in front of you, as it always is.

Why don't you try taking off the green and gold glasses? And, by the way, you might wanna wipe that Lemon Lime punch off of your face, It's dribbling down from the corners of your mouth....

Jay Lucas carried the ball nine times against NW State, five carries in the first half, four in the second. Three of his second half carries came while backed up inside our own five and were for 2, 2, and 6 yards. He had one other carry in the 3rd quarter for zero yards on a trap play up the middle against a run blitz. Considering he leads the conference in rushing, averages 7.7 per carry and can score from anywhere on the field, I think most rational people would question why he didn't get the ball more. Simple minds like yourself say, "DUH! He only averaged 2.5 per carry in da second half...Dey was stuffin' him!" More intelligent minds would say, "keep feeding your horse the rock, he'll eventually break one like he did in the first half, especially in a close ballgame." But you seem to be more articulate than intelligent which becomes more apparent every time I read one of your posts. Though I'll admit, you did have me tricked at one point.

As it turns out, our coaching staff had very good reasons for limiting Jay's touches in that game, but it was quite reasonable for our fans to question why.

A

FormerPokeCenter
October 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
<<Considering he leads the conference in rushing, averages 7.7 per carry and can score from anywhere on the field, I think most rational people would question why he didn't get the ball more. Simple minds like yourself say, "DUH! He only averaged 2.5 per carry in da second half...Dey was stuffin' him!">>

Well, you're right, I am rather simple minded about your performance against Northwestern. The simple fact of the matter is that your offensive and defensive lines got gashed for three quarters. Any fool could plainly see that...Even me.

I'm not making it up, look at the stats.

Wait, what am I talking about. You've already confirmed that you know this on another thread.

You acknowledge that Northwestern came out and an practically blew you out of the stadium in the first quarter. But you rationalize that by descrbing them as "high as a kite."

And, yes, they were fired up, but no more so than they have been for other games.

They obviously had a let down in the second quarter, which you exploited well, but that was your one flash in the pan. Moreover, that was a gift to you from Northwestern. If they would have kept their focus and composure, it would have been a 40-0 route.

In the third and fourth quarters, Northwestern came out and simply ground out 199 yards of rushing offense...If you want to talk about a running back dominating a game, try Byron Lawrence on for size. All he did was rush for 175 yards in the second half, including 87 yards in fourth quarter and 57 yards on the last drive.

If you want to get right down to it, SELA knew that Lawrence was going to get the call on just about everyplay and couldn't stop him.

The simple truth was that you lost the battle up front, consistently, for three quarters. The simple truth is that the only time your offense was effective was when Northwestern eased up and lost focus. They gained negative yardage in the second quarter, got over half their penalties inthe second quarter and gave up two big plays in the second quarter, plus a turnover.

Anyway you do the math, that's a loss of focus, or - to use your favorite descriptor - it was a second quarter "meltdown." That was the ONLY reason that game was artificially close.

If you can't take off the Green and Yellow glasses and see that, it not my fault.

Hell, I don't even LIKE Northwestern and I find myself forced to give the Shemons props for shredding you guys like cheese. Wait, I'm sorry...."Dey didn't shred you, cher, Bam! Dey was stuffin you!"

While I always appreciate kind words, I find myself totally unable to reciprocate. I haven't seen anything to date that would cause me to consider you to be either articulate or anything above marginally intelligent ;)

Are you textually capable? Absolutely. Intelligent? There's no other suitable answer besides "marginally," The hallmark of high intelligence is fair-mindedness, so I think we can safely tuck that one into the "not a snowball's chance in hell" column...

Be careful on your trip to Lake Charles and enjoy the game.

I wonder if you might do me a favor in the interim, though?

I hate to be incomplete in my research. Can you find a thread concerning any game that you've lost (in the last three years) where you didn't believe that the reason for the loss was a SLU meltdown rather than the other team's level of performance?

Further, can you find a thread concerning any upcoming game were you weren't convinced that you "matched up well" with your future opponent and predicted that you would shock them with either a win or a close game?

I'll hold my breath awaiting a reply....

MSU_77
October 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Predictions:

SHSU 31 SFA 14

NWSU 24 TxSU 21

NSU 28 UCA 24

MSU 45 SELU 10

JohnStOnge
October 25th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Ok man. But if you're talking statistics, McNeese outgained Southeastern 324 to 252 in that game and, notably, had a 194 to 71 edge in rushing yards. McNeese averaged 5.1 yards per rush. Southeastern averaged 1.9.

I'm sure the score would've been closer in the end than 34-13 if McNeese hadn't had a +2 advantage in the giveaway/takeaway stat, but McNeese had the physical advantage in that game. And I'm not just basing my opinion on the statistics. I was there. Southeastern wore out. As the game went on, McNeese got stronger and Southeastern faded.

I'll be the first to admit that Southeastern flat controlled the 2004 and 2005 games against McNeese. But the Lions didn't lose the 2006 game because of a meltdown. They were physically whipped.

In fact one thing I remember is looking at the program and noting how big SELA was on the defensive line but also noting how they were totally gassed in the second half.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
This is off-topic and is intended for McNeese fans...

I'm watching Crowley and Notre Dame play High School Football on Cox and after hearing his name...My mind started wondering....

WTH is Tommy Tate doing at Crowley that his team currently has a 2-6 record??? That team should be (most likely is) better then that record indicates....

Is this a sign of Tate not being a good coach or something??? (BTW.....Penalties are killing Crowley...They should be up 14-0 at least....seesh)

JohnStOnge
October 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM

I'm watching Crowley and Notre Dame play High School Football on Cox and after hearing his name...My mind started wondering....

WTH is Tommy Tate doing at Crowley that his team currently has a 2-6 record??? That team should be (most likely is) better then that record indicates....

Is this a sign of Tate not being a good coach or something??? (BTW.....Penalties are killing Crowley...They should be up 14-0 at least....seesh)

I'm not down on Tommy Tate. In fact, last year I defended him a lot and was against letting him go. But I must now admit that Viator is probably a better head coach. I'm not the kind to be able to break things down in minute detail. All I know is that Viator seems to have the team prepared to play every week and keeps the team consistent.

The loss at Montana in the playoffs was just a matter of Montana being physically superior at the line of scrimmage. There's nothing a coach can do about that. I'm pretty darned satisfied with Viator as head coach now.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 26th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I'm not down on Tommy Tate. In fact, last year I defended him a lot and was against letting him go. But I must now admit that Viator is probably a better head coach. I'm not the kind to be able to break things down in minute detail. All I know is that Viator seems to have the team prepared to play every week and keeps the team consistent.

The loss at Montana in the playoffs was just a matter of Montana being physically superior at the line of scrimmage. There's nothing a coach can do about that. I'm pretty darned satisfied with Viator as head coach now.

As ya should be....

At least for now.

FormerPokeCenter
October 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM
As ya should be....

At least for now.

Tommy's never been a HS coach. He went straight from the playing field to a brief stint as a graduate assistant and then very quickly to being a position coach....

He's worked his way up the ranks to a defensive coordinator, but he's never coached anything other than defensive backs....

Having to do it all in HS is probably not something he's used to.....

By contrast, Matt is very much in tune with the administrative side of things, having been a head coach at a variety of different HS levels before becoming a college assistant. Plus, when you're the son and grandson of some pretty darn good coaches, it's sort of in your blood...

Matt's Dad, Nolan, was a successful HS head coach in Louisiana and Texas, before becoming the runningbacks coach and OC at McNeese in the 80's. Matt's grandfather and great uncle, on his mother's side, were Matt Walker and B.S. Walker....who have HS stadiums named after them in Vinton and Sulphur...

McTailGator
October 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM

From what I understand, Crowley has NO QB, and their running game isn't all that good right now.

Defense has gotten better.

TT is 2 years away from state retirement. After that, look for him to go find another College job as an assistant.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
From what I understand, Crowley has NO QB, and their running game isn't all that good right now.

Defense has gotten better.

TT is 2 years away from state retirement. After that, look for him to go find another College job as an assistant.

After watching the game...I now see that THEIR QB IS THEIR RUNNING GAME!!!!!

I tell you......I get tired of seeing all these Louisiana High Schools going to the spread and yet only use two or three plays....Show some diversity people.....seesh.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM
So, seems quite a few of us struck out with the NWST loss to TXST at home...

Nicholls vs UCA should turn out to have a fun filled second half...

Purple Pride
October 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Nicholls vs UCA should turn out to have a fun filled second half...You got that right.....If your a BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

MaximumBobcat
October 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM

suckas....

go with the CATS!

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Looks like another 3-1 week...as McN will get the win over SELA...

TT's Predictions
SLC Record: 13-4
Overall: 34-13

BEAR
October 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Looks like another 3-1 week...as McN will get the win over SELA...

TT's Predictions
SLC Record: 13-4
Overall: 34-13

Does UCA keep messing up your record? xlolx

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Does UCA keep messing up your record? xlolx

I'm picking UCA over SDSU next week...

They are not messing me up every week, I had Nicholls over McNeese last week...