PDA

View Full Version : Playoff credibility

JMU1992
October 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
The playoffs will have no credibility this year without ND St. The NCAA has to find a way to include them.

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM
In my opinion as a sports writer, I think the NCAA would lose credibility if they were to disregard the rules to let a team into the playoffs. The rules are there for a reason and if they were to grant a team an exception, they would set a precedent and also show a lack of regard for the rules.

crunifan
October 20th, 2007, 09:59 PM
NDSU knew the rules going in. They shouldn't be in the play offs this year. Next year is a different story.

If you could be eligible for the playoffs instantly, you would have DII schools jumping up every season just because they have a good team that season.

Reed Rothchild
North Dakota is going to have the same issues when they start playing their DI schedule...

spelunker64
We knew the rules when we made the move. Sure we're dissapointed and would love to be eligible, but it's so and won't be. This was discussed last year and was bound to be brought up again. We'll play out the year and if we go undefeated, sure we should have the #1 ranking, but that's all.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM
NDSU is just joining the majority of Division I -- namely the FBS folks -- who are not eligible to compete for a national championship this year.

If you feel bad for NDSU, I wonder if you feel bad for teams like Ohio State, Florida, LSU and the like who never compete for the national title...

Chi Panther
October 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM
The playoffs will have no credibility this year without ND St. The NCAA has to find a way to include them.

I agree with this....but here is the problem as well.

The NCAA would have UNI(#1-2), NDSU(#1-2) and Montana(#3) somehow all playing prior to the Championship Game......

We really need to get the seeding 1-16 again....

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM
They have a very good team, but you can't arbitrarily change the rules for one school. I can't wait to see them in the Gateway next year.

danefan
October 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM
In my opinion as a sports writer, I think the NCAA would lose credibility if they were to disregard the rules to let a team into the playoffs. The rules are there for a reason and if they were to grant a team an exception, they would set a precedent and also show a lack of regard for the rules.

Not being a smarta$$....but what is the reason?

MTGrizzFan
October 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM
A rule is a rule....get over it. They'll get their chance.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2007, 10:04 PM

NCAA does not want teams jumping divisions left and right...

If you could instantly have a piece of the pie in basketball or football, you'd see tons of teams jumping to Div I in the like of Birmingham Southern and Savannah State that do not have a place in Div I -- BSU has already moved back down...

spelunker64
October 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Disclaimer: This thread not started by a Bison fan...

JALMOND
October 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Just have them play the winner between San Diego and Yale. That should decide it.:)

FCS Go!
October 20th, 2007, 10:07 PM
My apologies if this has been brought up before...

A caller on the Bobby Hauck Show (Montana's coach for you philistines) asked about NDSU re: the playoffs and Hauck said that recruitment/academic eligibility rules are less strict for DII schools so NDSU may have some players who would never have been eligible for DI competition. I had never heard that before as an explanation for the transition period.

If this is truly the case then I don't have a problem with NDSU being ineligible for the playoffs. If its not true then it is a real shame for the Bison.

FCSFAN
October 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The playoffs will have no credibility this year without ND St. The NCAA has to find a way to include them.Hardly. xrolleyesx If it wasn't for Roehl the Bison would be sniffing .500. They are top 10 but that is about it.

cats2506
October 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM

It is so that all of their players have been recruited under and have met DI academic standards. I am not saying that they haven’t but it is possible that seniors this year have not. As I understand it that is the reason for the rule.

They will be there next year.

Spoke
October 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Holy Cross 11-0 in 1987, #1 in the polls and ineligible for the playoffs due to (since changed) Patriot League rules. ND St. can join the HC alumni who still consider that team National Champions.

spelunker64
October 20th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Hardly. xrolleyesx If it wasn't for Roehl the Bison would be sniffing .500. They are top 10 but that is about it.

Unintelligent post the day! xsmhx

Steve Walker, Joe Mays, Mike Drago...ich, Shamen Washington... to name a few guys that have been instumental in our victories.

FCSFAN
October 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Unintelligent post the day! xsmhx

Steve Walker, Joe Mays, Mike Drago...ich, Shamen Washington... to name a few guys that have been instumental in our victories.Yeah, right. xrolleyesx

spelunker64
October 20th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah, right. xrolleyesx

Check out the SHSU tape...

FCSFAN
October 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Check out the SHSU tape...Check out your avatar. Northwestern State is the only D-I team SHSU has beat.

MR. CHICKEN
October 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
We knew the rules when we made the move. Sure we're dissapointed and would love to be eligible, but it's so and won't be. This was discussed last year and was bound to be brought up again. We'll play out the year and if we go undefeated, sure we should have the #1 ranking, but that's all.

THE SQWAD DAT GOES THRU....DUH DANCE......EARNS DUH BLING....WILL GET #1...................xnodx ...BRAWK!

spelunker64
October 20th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Check out your avatar. Northwestern State is the only D-I team SHSU has beat.

When a guy rushes for 263 in a game against a Big10 school he should get some respect. I'm just saying that Steve Walker has won us more games than Roehl has, especially the SHSU game.

What does Northwestern State have to do with anything by the way?xconfusedx

FCSFAN
October 20th, 2007, 11:50 PM
When a guy rushes for 263 in a game against a Big10 school he should get some respect. I'm just saying that Steve Walker has won us more games than Roehl has, especially the SHSU game.
What does Northwestern State have to do with anything by the way?xconfusedxYou're the one who brought up SHSU, as if beating a lackluster opponent is something special.

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2007, 07:08 AM
The rules are the rules but this does hurt the credibility of the playoffs. There's going to be a definite asterisk by whoever does win the title this year. Not that we know that whoever wins it wouldn't have won it with NDSU in. But there's going to be legitimate question.

It's not that NDSU is unbeatable within this subdivision. If Sam Houston State had a shoulda' coulda' against them on their home field I think it's pretty clear that's not the case. However, Captain Obvious says they'd certainly be a favorite to get the title if they were allowed to pursue it.

The transition period is too long. The NCAA needs to do something to fix this.

JohnStOnge
October 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM

If I were a pollster I couldn't rank them #1 at the end because they are not going to be tested in the tournament. As good as they've been they're not going to have the opportunity to go through that crucible of having to win four games in a row against playoff caliber competition. In fact, while a lot of things can happen, right now it looks like there's a pretty good chance they'll finish their year without having played a single FCS playoff team. Not their fault but they wouldn't have earned that #1 slot. I'd be wondering if they would have if they'd been given the shot. But they won't have done it.

NDState6531
October 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM
Rules are rules why do we have to go over this time and time again just to have it turn into a bashing post or a pi$$ing contest? Thanks for thinking that ND should be in the mix but it won't happen till next year....move on people!

danefan
October 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM
It is so that all of their players have been recruited under and have met DI academic standards. I am not saying that they haven’t but it is possible that seniors this year have not. As I understand it that is the reason for the rule.

They will be there next year.

Thanks. That's why I love this board.

nmatsen
October 21st, 2007, 08:16 AM

There are some (me included) that feel that we SHOULD have the number one ranking. You know what, I am not even going to worry about it. I don't think you guys will run the table anyway.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM
You're the one who brought up SHSU, as if beating a lackluster opponent is something special.

Hey now!

We left our offense in North Dakota! We had to get a fan to bring it down with them for Homecoming in order to turn the ship around...

It was the earliest we could find someone from the north to do so...

Hansel
October 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Hardly. xrolleyesx If it wasn't for Roehl the Bison would be sniffing .500. They are top 10 but that is about it.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

if NDSU was playoff eligible you would be voting them #1

birdbrain
October 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx
if NDSU was playoff eligible you would be voting them #1We had #1 UNI for a while, we'll see how the Bison like the Redbirds. Should be real fun! Hope you don't lose before we get there. xnodx

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM
we had this same discussion last year and it is what it is... i am glad to see that most of the ndsu fans are ok with it... that shows class

No_Skill
October 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
It's a weird situation we are in, no doubt about it. Just remember, Bison fans are on the same page from what I've seen.

1. If we win out, we could have a good shot at #1 at the end of the REGULAR SEASON.

2. The playoff champ is #1 at the end of the ENTIRE SEASON.

terrierbob
October 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM
What is the difference in Div. II standards and FCS?

bisonguy
October 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM
What is the difference in Div. II standards and FCS?

Academic/qualification standards, recruiting regulations, roster sizes, practice rules, and at least a few more.

bisonguy
October 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
It's a weird situation we are in, no doubt about it. Just remember, Bison fans are on the same page from what I've seen.

1. If we win out, we could have a good shot at #1 at the end of the REGULAR SEASON.

2. The playoff champ is #1 at the end of the ENTIRE SEASON.

Exactly.

The #1 ranking is one of the team goals for this season. Obviously, it will only hold up until the playoffs start.