PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs

KiddBrewer
October 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Who makes the playoffs out of the SoCon? ill leave it at that...

UNHWildCats
October 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
The rate were going 8 AQs and the other 8 split between the CAA and Southern :p

OK OK

The Gateway can have a second slot :p

slycat
October 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM
elon and wofford. no one would have ever predicted that.

throw in the el cid and it makes it very interesting. it would be crazy if app st didnt make it.

Wmbgskip
October 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
"What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!"

furman94
October 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, one game at a time now!!

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM
i think 5 teams still have a shot... but my guess would be we get three to four in... if its three its ... never mind i have no idea

elon
wofford
asu
gsu
el cid...

all 5 have a true shot

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I think Appalachian State will make it as an at-large . . . as for who gets the auto-bid, that's wide open. The thing is, there isn't a single team in the SoCon that can reach eight D-I wins without winning out. ASU is in the best shape for the at-large because they have a very favorable schedule, and the Michigan win gives them a substantial item on their resume the likes of which no one else in the SoCon has. Elon and Wofford each have a chance to win out and they'll each make it in if they do, regardless of who gets the auto . . . so possibly the SoCon could still get three teams in the playoffs. The real wild card is The Citadel, which still has games against ASU, GSU, and Elon--so even if it doesn't win out (which it would need to do to make the playoffs), it will have its chances to play the spoiler. This is going to be a fascinating conference to follow from here on out.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM
i think 5 teams still have a shot... but my guess would be we get three to four in... if its three its ... never mind i have no idea

elon
wofford
asu
gsu
el cid...

all 5 have a true shot

I would say the safe bet is ASU, GSU & Wofford.

Elon, still too young, will lose a game that SHOULD be a W.........
El Cid, maybe the same.........

It's sure ben interesting so far. It really makes me think about the "what ifs." If Elon had the healthy D against App (like today v. Wofford), the game may have been more interesting. Elon hung in there for 3 quarters, but App proved to be too much.

One inttersting thing, does anyone in the conference have a more capable QBs (notice that is plural) than App? Elder has been winning the past few weeks, and sure showed his winning ways tonight v. GSU. He came in without ANY warming up, and took them down the field for a score. Edwards is a playmaker, but I STILL think Elder is the better all around QB.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
the citadel can go 2-1 in those games and get in because you only need 7 d1 wins umass

JDC325
October 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Who makes the playoffs out of the SoCon? ill leave it at that...

When does the last game end? Honestly that would be as easy to predict as it is herding cats! All we know right now is Western is out and that is about it.

xnutsx

JDC325
October 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM

It's sure ben interesting so far. It really makes me think about the "what ifs." If Elon had the healthy D against App (like today v. Wofford), the game may have been more interesting. Elon hung in there for 3 quarters, but App proved to be too much.

One inttersting thing, does anyone in the conference have a more capable QBs (notice that is plural) than App? Elder has been winning the past few weeks, and sure showed his winning ways tonight v. GSU. He came in without ANY warming up, and took them down the field for a score. Edwards is a playmaker, but I STILL think Elder is the better all around QB.

I am going to eat some crow from my posts on TSC and say as long as you have that QB, Elon has just as good a shot as any.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I hadnt been sure but after watching them both tonight I found that I would rather have elder in there... he is definately the better passer and can run almost as fast... what he doesnt have is the same moves and that little something extra that armanti has but as a true passer there is no doubt elder is better... edwards made some bad decisions tonight that i dont think elder would have made...

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
the citadel can go 2-1 in those games and get in because you only need 7 d1 wins umass

The only SoCon team--the only team in the nation, more than likely--that has a realistic chance of making the playoffs with only seven D-I wins is Appalachian State, and that's because of the Michigan win. Seven is the minimum number of D-I wins required to get in, but it's almost never enough. Last year was a rare exception. Usually there are more than enough teams with eight D-I wins to fill out the playoff field.

proasu89
October 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Edwards is a playmaker, but I STILL think Elder is the better all around QB.

Strange situation we find ourselves in right now. In my less than professional opinion, Armanti's shoulder is stil not healed based on his arm strength today.

matfu
October 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
i vote two southern conference teams will get in...parity...will beat each other up. time will tell.

proasu89
October 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
i vote two southern conference teams will get in...parity...will beat each other up. time will tell.

I tend to agree. Next week will eliminate one of us.

BestOfBreed
October 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM
The only SoCon team--the only team in the nation, more than likely--that has a realistic chance of making the playoffs with only seven D-I wins is Appalachian State, and that's because of the Michigan win. Seven is the minimum number of D-I wins required to get in, but it's almost never enough. Last year was a rare exception. Usually there are more than enough teams with eight D-I wins to fill out the playoff field.

Did you mean to say a 4 loss team rarely gets in? Seems like 1 or 2 teams each year get in with only 7 plus a non-divisional win (8 total).

URMite
October 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Did you mean to say a 4 loss team rarely gets in? Seems like 1 or 2 teams each year get in with only 7 plus a non-divisional win (8 total).

Is that true? How often does a team that is 8-3 with a DII win get in? I haven't really checked.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Is that true? How often does a team that is 8-3 with a DII win get in? I haven't really checked.

pretty often... almost every year...

in 05 when we won the title with a number 2 seed we were 8-3 granted no d2 games but still we were 8-3 and a 2 seed!

BestOfBreed
October 20th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Yeah, 2005 seems like Texas St and Southern Illinois both had only had 7 DI wins with 1 or more DII games padding the total. 2004 - Delaware and Sam Houston St. That's just off the top of my head. It's pretty common.

KiddBrewer
October 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
we cant be 8-3 and get in......aahhhh the mess that LR and GW cause us (and we cause ourself!)

DB_Atlantic10
October 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I hadnt been sure but after watching them both tonight I found that I would rather have elder in there... he is definately the better passer and can run almost as fast... what he doesnt have is the same moves and that little something extra that armanti has but as a true passer there is no doubt elder is better... edwards made some bad decisions tonight that i dont think elder would have made...
I'm sure Edwards was a little rusty from being off a few weeks......give your QB a break...

DB_Atlantic10
October 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, but one of those teams will be the autobid.... Something has to give...Woff beat App, App Beat elon...Woff lost to Elon, but Woff beat GSU...and didn't GSU beat Elon....I guess it boils down to how Woff finishes with only 1 conf loss....App goes regardless if they win out

SirApp
October 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM
we cant be 8-3 and get in......aahhhh the mess that LR and GW cause us (and we cause ourself!)

We could get in, GW is in the same division as us..... We would have 7 D1 wins.

ElonPride
October 20th, 2007, 08:47 PM
and didn't GSU beat Elon....

No, Elon beat GSU last week in double OT 36-33.

DB_Atlantic10
October 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
No, Elon beat GSU last week in double OT 36-33.Then that really puts a twist in things.....

KiddBrewer
October 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM

well dang, youre right, pardon me......i feel a little better now! but the question, which i hope to never have to answer is, DO THEY at 8-3? (only reason im worried, i dont want to see boone if on selection sunday if we dont get in....)

pantherfan
October 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Correct. And let's face it, ASU can lose another game and still gets to host in the first round.xcoffeex

T-Dog
October 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Then that really puts a twist in things.....

You mean there isn't already?

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM
well dang, youre right, pardon me......i feel a little better now! but the question, which i hope to never have to answer is, DO THEY at 8-3? (only reason im worried, i dont want to see boone if on selection sunday if we dont get in....)

at 8-3 asu gets in IMO with the resume and name we have... i know the name and fans shouldnt matter but they do so we would be in

terrierbob
October 20th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I have no idea if Wofford can get in with another loss. My thinking is we won't, nor should we. Ayers needs to kick some tail this week, including our O.Coord. Plain vanilla, no HB passes, nothing fancy (to steal a post from terrierfans.com). IF we had not turned it over FIVE TIMES we'd be sitting pretty. Of course, like my Dad use to say, if a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass.

SirApp
October 21st, 2007, 01:59 AM

Sorry if I came off short on my previous post. It was right after the game and I was still pretty upset.

Anyways, to the question, it depends on the next few weeks. Wofford has @WCU, GSU, and @UTC left. Elon has the @Citadel, Chatty, and @Furman left. And the Citadel has @GSU, App, and Elon. Tough road for Citadel. With all the parity in the conference, I can see losses by all three teams, A possible GSU win-out, and assuming ASU goes 8-3, there could be 5 teams at 5-2. With this scenario, App would be 1-3 against the other 5-2 teams, hence, out of the playoffs.

Win out at 9-2 and there are no problems and we're hosting a first round game. A seed is all but impossible now.

Fresno St. Alum
October 21st, 2007, 02:19 AM
right now I would have Wofford, App St., Elon in the playoffs. There's a lot of games left though

SirApp
October 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM
Sorry if I came off short on my previous post. It was right after the game and I was still pretty upset.

Anyways, to the question, it depends on the next few weeks. Wofford has @WCU, GSU, and @UTC left. Elon has the @Citadel, Chatty, and @Furman left. And the Citadel has @GSU, App, and Elon. Tough road for Citadel. With all the parity in the conference, I can see losses by all three teams, A possible GSU win-out, and assuming ASU goes 8-3, there could be 5 teams at 5-2. With this scenario, App would be 1-3 against the other 5-2 teams, hence, out of the playoffs.

Win out at 9-2 and there are no problems and we're hosting a first round game. A seed is all but impossible now.

Excuse me, I messed up (too much drinky to drown my sadness). App would be 4-3, so again, no playoffs.

th0m
October 21st, 2007, 02:46 AM
Still a lot of big games to be played. And seeing as how Chatty beat GSU, maybe they can spoil some teams as well. Just like The Citadel won by a mere 6 points vs WCU.

SirApp
October 21st, 2007, 02:52 AM
Still a lot of big games to be played. And seeing as how Chatty beat GSU, maybe they can spoil some teams as well. Just like The Citadel won by a mere 6 points vs WCU.

Very true, I shouldn't discount UTC since they are only 1 game out and tied with GSU. But, I agree with most UTC fans that they need to get rid of that coach and they won't be competitive until then. They have fertile grounds, they just need someone that can sow the seeds.

Keeper
October 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM
I know it's early but.......
if there's a 3-way or 4-way tie at the end,
what is the tie-breaker for the AQ in playoffs?