PDA

View Full Version : Just like that, it's a whole new race in the SoCon...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM
The Citadel, Wofford, and Elon are in the lead with only 1 loss. The Citadel still has to play App. State and at GSU, and Elon only has to play at The Citadel, UTC, and at Furman. Wofford has to play GSU, UTC, and at Western.

I don't think anything is certain at this point, but you have to admit that Elon has a decent shot to get the Socon autobid. Should be an interesting race...

ChiefGSU275
October 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I like our chances.

furman94
October 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Wide open now, should be a great rest of the season!!

appstate38
October 20th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Man this thing is going to be wild and wooly down the stretch.

furman94
October 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Amen, should be a great game next week. Supposedly great weather too.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
They were the hot topic until Wofford went on a tear, but the Citadel might very well take this thing.

Did Armanti Edwards play against GSU today, or is he done?

B&G
October 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Armanti's feet played well but not so much for his arm and brain.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
trey was great when he was in...

being down 14 with 12:57 left in the first QUARTER... hurt

seantaylor
October 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
To me the Citadel is the 5th best team in the Socon.

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 06:57 PM
What's really interesting is that there isn't a single team in the SoCon that can reach eight D-I wins without winning out. Could the SoCon possibly be just a one-bid league this year? I don't think that will happen--but it's a crazy possibility. Should make for some intense games down the stretch.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
What's really interesting is that there isn't a single team in the SoCon that can reach eight D-I wins without winning out. Could the SoCon possibly be just a one-bid league this year? I don't think that will happen--but it's a crazy possibility. Should make for some intense games down the stretch.

That's not true - Elon could get to 8-3 if they lost to the Citadel.

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 07:05 PM

you only need 7!!!

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM
you only need 7!!!

Yes, technically--but most years seven is not enough to get you in. Realistically, it's eight. A seven-win team got in last year, but that's the rare exception. Usually there are multiple eight-win teams that don't make it.

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
That's not true - Elon could get to 8-3 if they lost to the Citadel.

Looking at Elon's schedule, I see a win over a school called West Virginia Wesleyan, which is not D-I. So an 8-3 overall record would leave Elon with just seven D-I wins.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Looking at Elon's schedule, I see a win over a school called West Virginia Wesleyan, which is not D-I. So an 8-3 overall record would leave Elon with just seven D-I wins.

But the threshold is seven D-I wins... and they'd have wins over Wofford, GSU... Are you really going to take a 9-2 (say) Norfolk State team over Elon?

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM
But the threshold is seven D-I wins... and they'd have wins over Wofford, GSU... Are you really going to take a 9-2 (say) Norfolk State team over Elon?

I'm not saying seven D-I wins leaves them with zero chance. I know that seven is the threshold; I'm just saying that, practically speaking, most years the threshold is eight. We'll have to see how things play out; it's entirely possible that we could have a repeat of last year and end up with a seven-win team in the playoffs. But I can't see any seven-win team feeling remotely secure going into selection Sunday.

JDC325
October 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Cue Citdog...xcoffeex

kardplayer
October 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM
8-3 with a DII win gets in, but may definitely be on the bubble...

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
The Socon could have three 9-2 teams and one 8-3 if Wofford, ASU, and Elon win out and GSU wins all but Wofford. There are a number of scenarios that get us multiple teams in. It's not too terribly unlikely that there will only be one team with more than 7 wins.

BULLDOG8180
October 20th, 2007, 11:29 PM

I hear ya, that may be so, and I guess the REAL question is how will Georgia Southern fare against the 5th best team at home??

I say you get your butts handed to you!xeekx

Whatcha gonna do, when the 5th best team outscores you???

Lose.xnodx

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2007, 11:32 PM
He said it not me, I've very worried about citadel. We have MANY hurt this week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2007, 11:36 PM
He said it not me, I've very worried about citadel. We have MANY hurt this week.

The game with The Citadel is always very physical, much like the game with App. always is. That will only exacerbate the whole situation. I am glad that this game will be at home.

And The Citadel (despite being a good team) could very well finish 5th behind ASU, GSU, Wofford, and Elon.

GaSouthern
October 20th, 2007, 11:39 PM
The SoCon is completely upsidedown, I feel bad for Furman fans this year, I COMPLETELY know what a season like that feels like! Chatty is not a pushover, nor is WCU. ASU, GSU, Woff, Elon, Citadel all have a shot right now to win the conference (without looking at current standings.)

BULLDOG8180
October 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The game with The Citadel is always very physical, much like the game with App. always is. That will only exacerbate the whole situation. I am glad that this game will be at home.

And The Citadel (despite being a good team) could very well finish 5th behind ASU, GSU, Wofford, and Elon.

Possible. with ASU, GSU, and Elon- I feel all three of those games will be high scoring affairs. Offenses seem to be ahead of the Defenses. 2 of the 3 are home-but right now just focused on the Eagles. Should be a great game.

Eagle22
October 21st, 2007, 12:31 AM

GSU, at 5-2, has 4 D-1 games remaining.

UMass922
October 21st, 2007, 01:33 AM
GSU, at 5-2, has 4 D-1 games remaining.

One of GSU's wins is over West Georgia, who isn't D-I. Which means they have four D-I wins, not five, and so would need to win out to reach eight.

SirApp
October 21st, 2007, 02:23 AM
IMO, the number of bids we receive depends on how the committee feels about our non-conference schedules. We are 17-11 overall. 7-1 against D2 (given that we count Presby as a D2 since they are in transition.), 9-3 against FCS opponents, and 1-7 against FBS opponents (with "good" losses from Elon against USF and the Citadel against Wisconsin.)

Also there are 4 unplayed non-conference games left, which could contribute a great deal to non-conf SOS (games against W Kentucky, Colo St., VMI, and Stony Brook).

These next 4 weeks are so important. I believe we will get three teams in. 2 most definitely, 3 depending on how results shake out, and 4 by a miracle.

Laserlips
October 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM
I hear ya, that may be so, and I guess the REAL question is how will Georgia Southern fare against the 5th best team at home??

I say you get your butts handed to you!xeekx

Whatcha gonna do, when the 5th best team outscores you???

Lose.xnodx

BULLDOG8180:

Guess we'd just better play the game first, doncha' think?

I don't think this is the best season for getting too big for your britches, upsets abound... xwhistlex

Truthfully our Eagles are one banged up football team... I don't have the courage to predict a win, but I AM happy the game is in Statesboro..

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
It's an exciting year in the SoCon. We have several teams currently in the role of both contender and spoiler.

I predict that when it's all done, and playoff brackets are announced, there will be at least one SoCon team on the outside, bitterly looking in, with a legitimate claim to playoff spot.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Question for all. Does Furman or Chatty have a mathematical chance to get the autobid? I think they do, but they have to be one of two 4-2 teams and winning a head-to-head tiebreak to do it. Chatty is especially interesting since they play Elon and Wofford. Incredibly, if they run the table they'd have head-to-head wins against two of the teams they would own head-to-head tiebreakers with.

Furman has to win out and get some help, but I think they can do it too.

appfan2008
October 21st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Question for all. Does Furman or Chatty have a mathematical chance to get the autobid? I think they do, but they have to be one of two 4-2 teams and winning a head-to-head tiebreak to do it. Chatty is especially interesting since they play Elon and Wofford. Incredibly, if they run the table they'd have head-to-head wins against two of the teams they would own head-to-head tiebreakers with.

basically anybody can do anything and this conference is crazy so anything can happen

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM

I know anything is possible.....Furman may play spoiler...but I don't think they can turn it around at this point in the season.

SirApp
October 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM

Furman has to win out. They win out and they will have 6 D-1 wins (assuming Presby counts as a D1 now, don't know the rules about transition).

Same deal with Chatty. They must win out. Have to beat FBS transition WKU in the process.

Kinda interesting how we have 7 out of 8 teams that can finish better than 5-2 in conference.

gophoenix
October 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Furman has to win out. They win out and they will have 6 D-1 wins (assuming Presby counts as a D1 now, don't know the rules about transition).

Same deal with Chatty. They must win out. Have to beat FBS transition WKU in the process.

Kinda interesting how we have 7 out of 8 teams that can finish better than 5-2 in conference.

I think if Furman wins out, they will beat Elon/GSU/APP and have the tie-breaker there. And if The Citadel and Wofford lose 2 games, Furman would get the automatic bid.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Right, the only way Chatty or Furman can get in is to win the autobid, they can't get in as a at-large. But it's not unthinkable that it happens.

What if there's a 3-way tie?

GSUhooligan
October 22nd, 2007, 01:18 AM
Right, the only way Chatty or Furman can get in is to win the autobid, they can't get in as a at-large. But it's not unthinkable that it happens.

They look at head to head. But if the three teams in question all beat eachother then they look at the record vs. the next best teams. If that doesn't solve it, its a coin flip for the auto bid. I think thats right and how it played out in 2001.

citdog
October 22nd, 2007, 06:52 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

citdog
October 22nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
THIS IS SHAPING UP LIKE 1992 ALL OVER AGAIN! HERE'S HOPING WE BRING THE FLAG BACK TO THE SOUTH CAROLINA CORPS OF CADETS!

OL FU
October 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM

Stolen from the uppf and not verified for accuracy.
Looks like quite a long shot

FUPlayer74

FU wins out, big if. Then, Woff beats WCU, GSU beats Cit, Elon beats Chatt,GSU beats Woff, App beats Cit, Cit beats Elon, Chatt beats Woff,App beats WCU, App beats Chatt. FU at 5-2 wins Socon gets automatic, App goes to dance at 8-3. Allright Flagman get the mojo dialed in and make it happen.

I think Elon is the only team that controls its own destiny for the auto-bid. Win out and they got it. (I think)

OL FU
October 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
And on a totally different subject, Congratulatsion to Davidson for beating Drakexthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
At least you guys go to a coin flip if all else fails. If JMU and UMass remain undefeated in conference, it will come down to a political decision among league coaches. In UMass' corner - reigning conference champ (although it was A10 then) and higher in the polls in all likelihood. In JMU's corner, the fact that the league is now CAA and JMU is a permanent member, not an affiliate like UMass...

If both teams make it to 10-1 - Whew! God bless...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
I think Elon is the only team that controls its own destiny for the auto-bid. Win out and they got it. (I think)

You are right. If Elon wins out and beats The Citadel, they go 6-1 in conference and own the head-to-head against Wofford.

If The Citadel wins out and beats Elon, they go 6-1 and would need Wofford to lose again, since the Terriers own the head-to-head against them.

I think the key to the SoCon race is Wofford/Georgia Southern in two weeks. If the Eagles win that game, many more scenarios open up. If Wofford beats Western Carolina and GSU as expected, it's a 3 team race.

And Elon's (at Furman) and The Citadel's (GSU, App State) schedules feature some tough games. Those games against Furman and Chatty are not gimmes either since both those teams still have plenty to play for.

Finally, what are Georgia Southern fans hoping for at this point? Elon to lose twice, basically?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
At least you guys go to a coin flip if all else fails. If JMU and UMass remain undefeated in conference, it will come down to a political decision among league coaches. In UMass' corner - reigning conference champ (although it was A10 then) and higher in the polls in all likelihood. In JMU's corner, the fact that the league is now CAA and JMU is a permanent member, not an affiliate like UMass...

If both teams make it to 10-1 - Whew! God bless...

There ought to be a riot if two teams get to 10-1 (8-0) in the conference and one gets the autobid over the other. Critics would be able to point to this case for years to point out that the CAA is simply too big for its own scheduling good.

It is a travesty that we will not see a JMU/UMass or JMU/Hofstra conference game this year.

OL FU
October 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
You are right. If Elon wins out and beats The Citadel, they go 6-1 in conference and own the head-to-head against Wofford.

Imagine that and I am talking me being right and Elon being in the drivers seatxnodx two unimaginable things only a year agoxlolx xsmiley_wix

NashMoc
October 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=SirApp;701407]IMO, the number of bids we receive depends on how the committee feels about our non-conference schedules. We are 17-11 overall. 7-1 against D2 (given that we count Presby as a D2 since they are in transition.), 9-3 against FCS opponents, and 1-7 against FBS opponents (with "good" losses from Elon against USF and the Citadel against Wisconsin.)

QUOTE]

Don't forget that Chattanooga played Arkansas pretty close and the game was not decided until the fourth quarter. The Mocs scored more points and allowed fewer points to Arkansas than Ole Miss did this past weekend.

citdog
October 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=SirApp;701407]IMO, the number of bids we receive depends on how the committee feels about our non-conference schedules. We are 17-11 overall. 7-1 against D2 (given that we count Presby as a D2 since they are in transition.), 9-3 against FCS opponents, and 1-7 against FBS opponents (with "good" losses from Elon against USF and the Citadel against Wisconsin.)

QUOTE]

Don't forget that Chattanooga played Arkansas pretty close and the game was not decided until the fourth quarter. The Mocs scored more points and allowed fewer points to Arkansas than Ole Miss did this past weekend.

and lost by a gazillion to THE CITADEL ON THEIR HOME FIELD!

blukeys
October 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Imagine that and I am talking me being right and Elon being in the drivers seatxnodx two unimaginable things only a year agoxlolx xsmiley_wix

Seems to me that there were a of complaints out of Bethlehem about how a certain coach couldn't win big games. I wonder if they would take that guy back???xrolleyesx