PDA

View Full Version : CSN FCS Preview Mag Prophecy

JohnStOnge
October 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Well, Cal Poly didn't get it done as the "most likely" FCS win but otherwise the FCS preview mag article on FCS/FBS games to watch for FCS win potential turned out pretty good. Here's the text:

"The game that appears to be most likely to produce an FCS win is Cal Poly vs. Idaho. Idaho was 6- 5 against IAAs during the BCS era and finished 4- 8 last season, including a 27- 24 escape from 2-9 I-AA Idaho State. Cal-Poly notched a win over an I-A last season by beating San Diego State, and consistently fields playoff caliber teams.

McNeese State vs. Louisiana-Lafayette represents another good shot at an FCS win. Louisiana-Lafayette, a Sun Belt program, was 6-4 against I-AAs in the BCS era. The FCS Cowboys may have a playoff caliber squad, and the Sun Belt went 2-8 against I-AA playoff teams. Though Louisiana-Lafayette won its one game as a Sun Belt member against an I-AA playoff team (Northwestern State in 2004), the score was only 14-7.

New Hampshire vs. Marshall also holds potential for an FCS win. New Hampshire returns Payton Award winner Ricky Santos at quarterback and goes into the 2007 season ranked seventh in the AGS poll, while Marshall is coming off a 5-7 season.

North Dakota State should go into their 2007 rematch with Minnesota believing they can win. The same should be true of Northern Iowa as they face a rematch with Iowa State after dropping a 28- 27 decision to the Cyclones in 2006.

There are a number of other FCS vs. FBS matchups one might cite. Of course, it's almost certain that some of the most interesting inter-subdivision games will not be anticipated as such. Not many people were pointing at Montana State vs. Colorado in 2006 or UC Davis vs. Stanford in 2005 as likely opportunities for I-AA."

And not many pointing at Appalachian State vs. Michigan in 2007!