PDA

View Full Version : Is Norfolk State for real?

bjtheflamesfan
October 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
They beat Florida A&M last night and are 5-0 in the MEAC this year. You think the Spartans are in line for possibly an at large if they do not get the MEAC autobid? Especially with Hampton's struggles and the Spartans beating them?

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I've been saying they are for real for some time...

It's taking people a week longer to join on the bandwagon. I pencilled them in prior to the Hampton game and I think that game got folks to bite. The FAMU win as everyone is familiar with FAMU being a tough win on the road and the fact FAMU has dominated NSU, as a reason to push them even more...

Not sure what NSU can do in the FCS playoffs or against tough FCS foes from outside the MEAC, but they are doing what it takes in the MEAC...

blur2005
October 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I've been saying they are for real for some time...

It's taking people a week longer to join on the bandwagon. I pencilled them in prior to the Hampton game and I think that game got folks to bite. The FAMU win as everyone is familiar with FAMU being a tough win on the road and the fact FAMU has dominated NSU, as a reason to push them even more...

Not sure what NSU can do in the FCS playoffs or against tough FCS foes from outside the MEAC, but they are doing what it takes in the MEAC...
I cannot foresee the MEAC getting more than one team. It'll take a lot of the other conference beating up on each other internally and having a lot of 7-4 teams for that to occur.

Because I'm predicting the CAA to have five teams at 8-3 or better, I'm going to respond to the question overall with a "no."

JohnStOnge
October 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM
They beat Florida A&M last night and are 5-0 in the MEAC this year. You think the Spartans are in line for possibly an at large if they do not get the MEAC autobid? Especially with Hampton's struggles and the Spartans beating them?

I'd say that if they don't get the automatic bid they probably won't get into the playoffs. I think it all comes down to whether or not they beat Delaware State. If they do that they'll probably get the automatic bid. If they don't they'll probably be sitting the tourney out.

bkrownd
October 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
If they were "for real" they should have scored at least 3 on RUTSgers. Seriously. Even Buffalo and Navy scored on RUTSgers.

appfan2008
October 19th, 2007, 08:08 PM
the MEAC will only get one team... it would be great if they got in the playoffs but it will only happen with the auto bid

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
the MEAC will only get one team... it would be great if they got in the playoffs but it will only happen with the auto bid

I think as things progress, there's still a good chance the MEAC gets two teams, especially if the SLC can not produce two (which means Nicholls St can't get to 9-2). CAA has a few teams that could get the seven wins, but I do not think things are going to turn out as well as some of their fans feel they will...Gateway should have more bids than CAA...

Monarch History
October 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I hope they get a bid as their program has been down for a long time. The next couple of weeks will tell with NSU as well as how many CAA teams might get in.

Mr. Tiger
October 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM
If Norfolk State runs the table, they are in. And if Delaware State wins every game except Norfolk, I really can't see keeping them out. They would be 9-2 with one loss to FBS Kent State. MEAC or no MEAC, that should get any scholarship filled team in.

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I think as things progress, there's still a good chance the MEAC gets two teams, especially if the SLC can not produce two (which means Nicholls St can't get to 9-2). CAA has a few teams that could get the seven wins, but I do not think things are going to turn out as well as some of their fans feel they will...Gateway should have more bids than CAA...

Agreed. I think the MEAC has a decent shot at two teams. We all know that the MEAC, the Patriot, and the OVC are one-bid leagues most years--but it's also true that each year one of those leagues usually manages to squeeze in a second team. Last year the OVC did it; the Patriot's done it before; and it simply looks like this might be the MEAC's turn (and they've done it before, too--in '99 and '03, I believe). It's always nice to see new blood in the playoffs. For DSU and Norfolk both to make it would be wonderful to see, especially from a league that's been dominated by one team in recent years.

th0m
October 20th, 2007, 03:14 AM

Gateway should have more bids than the CAA? Please, do explain.

R.A.
October 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Don't let Norfolk State finish 9-2 or they're getting a bid.
Don't let Hampton finish 9-2 or they're getting a bid.

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Gateway should have more bids than the CAA? Please, do explain.

Flubbed that up -- have CAA with one more than Gateway...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31024

ChickenMan
October 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Norfolk St has two pretty good players that transfered from Delaware playing defense for them. Maguell Davis and Marquez Davis.. brothers that were recruited the same year ('03) by the Hens. Both were expected to be contributers on the Hen's defense.. but apparently weren't happy at UD.

Brad82
October 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Pete Adrian was my DC. Won two eastern champsionships under him.

Punchykky
October 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
As much as I would love to see my SPARTANS in the playoffs, we are in virgin territory right now. The FAMU game we won @ FAMU was our first win against FAMU since we've been in the MEAC, and it also became our first winning season as an FCS school. So as I said earlier, we SPARTANS are in virgin territory right now. We aren't even thinking or dreaming about playoffs right now; we just want to concentrate on Howard University as our homecoming opponent for next week. We're taking it one week at a time, we aren't looking ahead at all.

HIU 93
October 21st, 2007, 07:48 AM
As much as I would love to see my SPARTANS in the playoffs, we are in virgin territory right now. The FAMU game we won @ FAMU was our first win against FAMU since we've been in the MEAC, and it also became our first winning season as an FCS school. So as I said earlier, we SPARTANS are in virgin territory right now. We aren't even thinking or dreaming about playoffs right now; we just want to concentrate on Howard University as our homecoming opponent for next week. We're taking it one week at a time, we aren't looking ahead at all.

I'm sure you just want to compete.xsmiley_wix

HIU 93
October 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM
If NSU and DSU win out and only one of them loses to the other, either teams' only other loss is to a pretty good FCS team. Both should get in the playoffs in that situation. The key word is SHOULD.

Monarch History
October 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM

I hope the Spartans can continue their winning ways in the MEAC. I believe Coach Adrian has helped turn the page for NSU and the fans and wins will start returning to a once proud CIAA program (Div.II).xnodx

Punchykky
October 21st, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm sure you just want to compete.xsmiley_wix

xsmiley_wix And build a winning football program that's consistent!:D