PDA

View Full Version : Kerwin Bell as Rhody candidate-what do you think?

Brad82
October 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
On plane ride from JAX. today,an ex-VA Tech player has a brother that plays for Jax. Univ.and he recommended Kerwin Bell as candidate for Rhody head coach. Great player @ Florida. Has name recognition and runs wide open spread offense,anyone familiar with his coaching abilities?

Maverick
October 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Since we are talking about Rhody, you better ask about Bell's recruiting ability and contacts. It will be a tough place to recruit to based on facilities and location as well as recent history.

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
He built Trinity Catholic, a high school program from a start-up to a state powerhouse in Florida in five years. His first recruiting class at JU was impressive. This is his first season coaching at the college level. I think that he has the potential to be another Jim Harbaugh.

blur2005
October 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
On plane ride from JAX. today,an ex-VA Tech player has a brother that plays for Jax. Univ.and he recommended Kerwin Bell as candidate for Rhody head coach. Great player @ Florida. Has name recognition and runs wide open spread offense,anyone familiar with his coaching abilities?
Well, if he runs the spread and got the job, he'd have a fun time making the transition from option offense to the spread. That's been a real successful transition in recent years at other schools xrolleyesx .

blueballs
October 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
He built Trinity Catholic, a high school program from a start-up to a state powerhouse in Florida in five years. His first recruiting class at JU was impressive. This is his first season coaching at the college level. I think that he has the potential to be another Jim Harbaugh.

Correct, and he did it in the Ocala area, which isn't necessarily overrun with talent like some of the other areas in the state. Plus, his name is gold in Florida. He should be able to get you some talent.

Model Citizen
October 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I understand his enthusiasm, but Bell won't be leaving until he can make a clear step up. It won't be Rhode Island.

He's going to stay at JU, build a stadium, and maybe raise scholarship money. Then, if he has Harbaugh-like success, he could coach in the SEC.

Brad82
October 20th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Model citizen-how come Bell can't win @ Jax.?

blueballs
October 20th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Because football might as well be a club sport at that school.

JU is not that big a school, has high tuition (don't know if they offer schollies), no support, and isn't that big of a student body.

The college football fans there are in Jax are 50% Gators, 35% Seminoles, 14.99% Bulldawgs, 0.01% JU. The Florida/GA game is by far still the biggest deal in football there, even moreso that the Jaguars.

GOTOREROS
October 20th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Kerwin Bell = Jim Harbaugh? Harbaugh went 7-4 his first year - If JU wins 5 games this year it will be a miracle.....

Comparing Kerwin Bell to Jim Harbaugh is crazy. Harbaugh was coaching in the NFL before coming to San Diego. Florida HS football does not equal coaching in the NFL my friends.....

I love the spin of people thinking JU and Bell are in the same zip code as San Diego....

Brad82
October 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I agree. Bell is nice "name" candidate,but his record vs. schedule is certainly nothing to brag about.

Cobblestone
October 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Brad, we need a young head coach from D-II or D-III who wants to make a jump. You're a defense coach, how about a guy like Don Montgomery? I contacted Don when our DC job was last open. He responded and applied.What does Stowers do? NOT hire the guy that's what.

Darren Rizzi still interested?? xwhistlex

Gordon Shumway
October 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I think talk about Kerwin Bell is a bit premature. I live in Ocala where he made his name at Trinity Catholic. He kind of benefited from a perfect storm of talent coming together at one time. And that was in Class 2A, which is the second smallest in Florida. He had some great players for sure. His QB was John Brantley, who originally commited to Texas, but changed to Florida at the last minute this year. He also had a couple kids go to Spurrier at S.C. this year. Not bad for a small private school.

However, he left at the height of his success to go to Jax. It was perfect timing as the cupboard is pretty bare this year. Ricky Nattiel (U.F. & Denver Broncos) was an assistant and is now the head coach there, and has the job of rebuilding.

I wouldn't worry about his recruiting skills though. He seemed to be very good at it in high school.xlolx He created a lot of ill will amongst the public high schools in this town over his perceived indiscretions when it came to getting kids to transfer to Trinity. Pretty expensive tuition that never seemed to be a problem if a kid could play football.

He could be very successful at the college level, but let him prove it before moving on.

Cobblestone
October 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Tear down the stadium, and pack it in.the football program is dead.

URI 28 Bryat 0.

Sound familiar? Want a rematch?

Model Citizen
October 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM

He needs players. Give him time.

His star running back has been dodging bogus drug charges and injuries, but Bell has access to a lot of talent.

blueballs
October 21st, 2007, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about his recruiting skills though. He seemed to be very good at it in high school.xlolx He created a lot of ill will amongst the public high schools in this town over his perceived indiscretions when it came to getting kids to transfer to Trinity. Pretty expensive tuition that never seemed to be a problem if a kid could play football.

I heard the same thing from some coaches here in the Orlando area.

Seawolf97
October 21st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Cobble, i live in RI, why do you continue to hang on to a program that is nothing going nowhere? URI doe's not want a rematch with Bryant, especially in the next couple of years, Bryant will soon take over as the D1 football school in RI. The campus is much nicer than RI,the president is totally on board for the football program, and they have many duckets.And they already put more fans in the stands than at Rhody. ....the list goes on and on, Jump off that sinking ship called URI football.

I dont know if I would scuttle the whole program. Either recruit better or maybe make a move to the NEC in football. The NEC will probably move up to 45 scholarships in a few years and the road games are relatively close. Just dropping the program isnt a good idea>xsmhx