PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ga Southern Fans

matfu
October 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
question for ga southern folks:why is it that you guys complain more about the refs than any 1aa (fcs) fans i have seen since i have followed iaa ball closely since 1985 ham vs. lamb? is this something that has evolved just over the last several years? i just have a hard time believing that bad calls don't even out.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Not refs, but SoCon refs, and the complaining about the Socon refs started at the very end of the 90s (beggining with the legendary '99 GSU-Furman game). To my knowledge, I don't remember any major complaints about referees in any playoff or road OOC game since then.

I don't keep a ledger of the number of times that we have gotten the good end of blatant bad calls versus the times that we did not, but I'd be willing to bet it's slightly skewed in our opponents favor. Sorry, but I am not going to pretend like referees don't either make mistakes or have biases just to try and not sound like a "poor sport". I understand that our team has gotten breaks from referees in Socon games. I think fans of other big name FCS teams like Montana, Delaware, Youngstown State, and App. State will probably tell you they feel the same about the referees in their respective conferences.

OL FU
October 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
refs and rain, they both start with Rsxsmiley_wix

appstate38
October 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
It is kinda like there is holding every play that doesn't get called, there are going to be bad calls or no calls. It is just a part of the game.

blueballs
October 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
refs and rain, they both start with Rsxsmiley_wix

The rain is no longer a valid excuse because the triple option is gone but all anybody has to do is look at: a) the pass interference call in the UTC game in the end zone on the interception (GSU intercepted, the call gave UTC the ball back and they got a TD the next play), b) the holding call on the punt return TD in the UTC game, c)the strip/takeaway on the goal line last week (Elon scored the tying TD on the next play), d) the offsides call on the missed Elon FG in OT last week...

...the reason you hear such agony is that each of these are game deciding calls. Every one of thsoe calls were BS and at best incompetent and at worst corrupt.

The worst thing an official can do is decide the game instead of the players and a lot of the GSU folks feel like an inordinate amount of their close games are decided by BS calls like those I pointed out. If it only happened once every few years or so it would be one thing...

From what I understand the officials had a big hand in determining the outcome of the FU/Citadel game too.

AZGrizFan
October 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
The rain is no longer a valid excuse because the triple option is gone but all anybody has to do is look at: a) the pass interference call in the UTC game in the end zone on the interception (GSU intercepted, the call gave UTC the ball back and they got a TD the next play), b) the holding call on the punt return TD in the UTC game, c)the strip/takeaway on the goal line last week (Elon scored the tying TD on the next play), d) the offsides call on the missed Elon FG in OT last week...

...the reason you hear such agony is that each of these are game deciding calls. Every one of thsoe calls were BS and at best incompetent and at worst corrupt.

The worst thing an official can do is decide the game instead of the players and a lot of the GSU folks feel like an inordinate amount of their close games are decided by BS calls like those I pointed out. If it only happened once every few years or so it would be one thing...

From what I understand the officials had a big hand in determining the outcome of the FU/Citadel game too.

If you're blowing them out, the games not decided on one call. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

bobbythekidd
October 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
why is it that you guys complain more about the refs than any 1aa (fcs) fans i have seen

If you're blowing them out, the games not decided on one call.
That may be the difference. We are no longer blowing teams out like in the past. SoCon refs are bad and I think we can all agree on that, but it seems like now that they can influence the games, they are taking advantage of that fact.

I have watched and re-watched the Elon game, and there were plenty of missed or bad calls for both sides. That is why I didn't join the mob in railing about it. Unfortunetly, the timing was poor for some of the calls against GSU, and not so much for the ones against Elon.

According to UCABear, Hatcher tries to win games by a point. Tries not to run the score up by taking a knee with goal to go. Perhaps he will change that formula and take it to some folks in the future. End of the day, Elon gets the W and GSU has the L. Congrats to you Elon, I hope we stick it to you next year.xthumbsupx

blueballs
October 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
If you're blowing them out, the games not decided on one call. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Nobody in the SoCon is blowing anybody else in the conference out this year, and with all the great young coaching talent in the conference that's not likely to change anytime soon.

ncman071
October 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
SOCON refs are terrible no doubt.

appfan2008
October 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM
some are better than others... its a tough job!

but... socon refs are the worst!

GoldandBlack
October 20th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I think the biggest complaint I have about SoCon refs is a lack of consistency, at least in the games I've seen this year.

It's just like baseball- the pitcher and batter need to know where the ump's strike zone is, or it leads to problems the entire game.

While holding could probably be called on every play in football, there needs to be an "identity" set by each team of referees early in the game so the players on both sides understand how the game can be played.

Inconsistency by the refs can kill the flow of a game.

gophoenix
October 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Good grief this is still going on.

When we Elon fans complained about the refs, we are called a bunch of losers. When GSU complains about the refs, it is called a conspiracy against public schools.

Boy this is getting old.

Fumble at the end zone = forward progress stopped, the announcers on TV agreed.
Offsides on the Field Goal, when you line up in the neutral zone, it is offsides - end of story.

How about the TD you guys got that wasn't a TD. I don't hear you guys complaining about it at all. Down well before the endzone. Why aren't you crying about the safety we should have gotten (oh, that's right, forward progress only applies to your offense). What about the 3 missed pass interference calls on big plays? How about the blown 70 yard pass incomplete pass on us.

If you want to cry about certain points, fine, you guys seems to be good at crying this year. But if that game was called the way you whiners think it should have been, and if all the blown calls come back to Elon too, then we'd have won it by 15 in Regulation.

Yes, this "conspiracy" kept your team close in a game where mistakes on YOUR team, YOUR coaching, and YOUR lack of discipline cost you the game.

CID1990
October 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM

From what I understand the officials did all they could to change the outcome of the FU/Citadel game too.

Fixed it for you. xthumbsupx

bobbythekidd
October 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM

When we Elon fans complained about the refs, we are called a bunch of losers. When GSU complains about the refs, it is called a conspiracy against public schools.

Boy this is getting old.

Offsides on the Field Goal, when you line up in the neutral zone, it is offsides - end of story.

How about the TD you guys got that wasn't a TD. I don't hear you guys complaining about it at all. Down well before the endzone. Why aren't you crying about the safety we should have gotten (oh, that's right, forward progress only applies to your offense). What about the 3 missed pass interference calls on big plays? How about the blown 70 yard pass incomplete pass on us.

If you want to cry about certain points, fine, you guys seems to be good at crying this year. But if that game was called the way you whiners think it should have been, and if all the blown calls come back to Elon too, then we'd have won it by 15 in Regulation.

Yes, this "conspiracy" kept your team close in a game where mistakes on YOUR team, YOUR coaching, and YOUR lack of discipline cost you the game.
Dude be fair. We both got TD's we did not deserve, and we both got one taken away unfairly. Be fair. xpeacex

CID1990
October 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Dude be fair. We both got TD's we did not deserve, and we both got one taken away unfairly. Be fair. xpeacex

So you guys were equally victimized by the refs. Sounds fair to me.

blueballs
October 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Boy this is getting old.

You were making some valid points until that, and that is when you lost your credibility.xnonono2x

BTW, I have 5 national championship plaques on my wall that say I'm not a whiner, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

straightshooter
October 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM
After reviewing the game film, Hatcher, who has been very careful not to criticize the officials, said this about the offside call.

"If the guy that got called offside was offside, then the whole team was offside."

And the call on the takeaway near the goal line was iffy too. Players are taught to play until the whistle sounds, and no whistle sounded until the GSU player clearly had the ball. You could hear the whistle clearly on TV.

Laserlips
October 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=gophoenix

Yes, this "conspiracy" kept your team close in a game where mistakes on YOUR team, YOUR coaching, and YOUR lack of discipline cost you the game.[/QUOTE]

And, you got your first win against our GSU Eagles.. Enjoy it, and we'll see you in Statesboro next year..xwhistlex

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

gophoenix
October 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM
You were making some valid points until that, and that is when you lost your credibility.xnonono2x

BTW, I have 5 national championship plaques on my wall that say I'm not a whiner, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

That was a complete tongue in cheek comment to show how stupid these comments are.

Basically across all the whining, offsides was the right call. Everything else was generall, garbage and inconsistent calls.

5 NC plaques doesn't mean you aren't a whiner. it just means you played a good game, coached a good game or are just a fan who bought some plaques.

gophoenix
October 20th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I am being fair. Some of your fans are painting this game in a light that makes it seem that we were given every call possible and you guys were a bunch of victims. When, to be fair, that just wasn't the case.

We were both robbed of 1 TD apiece, we were both given TDs that were no doubt questionable. Otherwise, if was a flat out inconsistently called game.

As for the offsides call. It wasn't the first offsides call on you guys during the game. You had another special teams offsides call earlier too.

CID1990
October 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
gophoenix.... some things are given in this conference, and you can't change them, so don't bother beating your head against a wall:

1. SoCon refs suck for everybody

2. If GSU loses to your team, expect whining and crying for a week until they lose the next one.

JDC325
October 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM
gophoenix.... some things are given in this conference, and you can't change them, so don't bother beating your head against a wall:

1. SoCon refs suck for everybody

2. If GSU loses to your team, expect whining and crying for a week until they lose the next one.

CID swallows for everybody.

matfu
October 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
After reviewing the game film, Hatcher, who has been very careful not to criticize the officials, said this about the offside call.

"If the guy that got called offside was offside, then the whole team was offside."

And the call on the takeaway near the goal line was iffy too. Players are taught to play until the whistle sounds, and no whistle sounded until the GSU player clearly had the ball. You could hear the whistle clearly on TV.

he sure looked offsides on tv, including on the replay...and i know a fair number of eagle fans thought so also.

ab4app
October 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM
No room for excuses we got beat today fair and square. xbawlingx But did anybody see the play where GSU scored on a pass were it seemed the reciever just shoved touchstone out of the way and caught the ball. I know there where things that probably went our way too, just curious what everyone thinks bout that play. Thought it was pass interference fo sho.

Laserlips
October 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
No room for excuses we got beat today fair and square. xbawlingx But did anybody see the play where GSU scored on a pass were it seemed the reciever just shoved touchstone out of the way and caught the ball. I know there where things that probably went our way too, just curious what everyone thinks bout that play. Thought it was pass interference fo sho.

Me too....

And I'm a big GSU "homer"... xwhistlex

I can't figure it out... When a missed call is to our advantage I don't seem to have a problem with it, but when a missed call is to our disadvantage I can really whine..

Good game, glad there wasn't another 2 or 3 minutes left the way your guys were running up and down the field..

Hey, we NEEDED this win, big time...

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

appfan2008
October 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
man it sure did get exciting in the stadium there in the end... wish it had turned out different but that block in the back on the punt return at the end did us in

Laserlips
October 21st, 2007, 07:02 AM
JMOFO:

Maybe I'm getting paranoid or something, but lately it seems more and more close games are being decided by the questionable calls, or non-calls of the officials..

Good game yesterday tho, both offenses running up and down the field like crazy and both defenses looking awfully porous a lot of the time.

J.Pomeroy

APPST '93
October 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM
man it sure did get exciting in the stadium there in the end... wish it had turned out different but that block in the back on the punt return at the end did us in

There was no block in the back. The replay on TV showed NO BLOCK by 22 (Love). We should have had the ball on the 20.

And yes, we got screwed on the TD pass where Touchstone was pushed.

No excuses! We just didn't play good enough to beat them today.

blueballs
October 21st, 2007, 07:14 AM
he sure looked offsides on tv, including on the replay...and i know a fair number of eagle fans thought so also.

But according to the GSU HC, the "all 22" film showed otherwise.

It doesn't matter, the only person who needed to think the guy was lined up offsides thought so, and we all have to live with his decision. Period...

BTW, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, I earned those plaques on the field- 1991, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2005. ISA, 2xNSA, USSSA, ASA. The photo to the left is the 2005 team, I'm on the first row on the far right.

blueballs
October 21st, 2007, 07:22 AM

The ASU defender was out of position, looked like he had his feet crossed up, and couldn't have defended the play... but he WAS pushed, no question about it. If a flag had been thrown there I don't think anybody in white would have had much to say.

On the punt return it appeared the defender was pushed in the back, but with Jackson's speed he had already broken contain. The guy who was pushed was in no position to make a play.

Those were two crucial plays for sure... and cost you dearly. But I'd bet if you asked the players or coaches they'd say the two int's are what cost ASU the win, both very ill advised and very costly.

I think most of us can agree on this...Unless you are from Furman (have to throw the purps in there because they ALWAYS get the calls) or Elon the SoCon officiating sucks and is determining the outcome of games when they have no business doing so.

straightshooter
October 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM
Yea they missed the obvious App fumble near the goal line. Replay clearly confirmed that it was a fumble. And how the guy missed the face mask call on the Andrews pass reception is beyond me. Replay confirmed that the App player clearly had his hand wrapped around the facemask and pulled Andrews out of bounds. The ref was looking right at the play and never reacted.

Trust me, officiating was bad on both sides.

Kill'em
October 21st, 2007, 07:56 AM
There is no doubt the SoCon officials suck...PERIOD! It doesn't matter what side, they blow it for all sides! These morons can't even get the spot right after the play. No conspiracy, just inept officiating.

phillyAPP
October 21st, 2007, 08:24 AM
The ASU defender was out of position, looked like he had his feet crossed up, and couldn't have defended the play... but he WAS pushed, no question about it. If a flag had been thrown there I don't think anybody in white would have had much to say.

On the punt return it appeared the defender was pushed in the back, but with Jackson's speed he had already broken contain. The guy who was pushed was in no position to make a play.

Those were two crucial plays for sure... and cost you dearly. But I'd bet if you asked the players or coaches they'd say the two int's are what cost ASU the win, both very ill advised and very costly.

I think most of us can agree on this...Unless you are from Furman (have to throw the purps in there because they ALWAYS get the calls) or Elon the SoCon officiating sucks and is determining the outcome of games when they have no business doing so.

WOW that is all of it, in a nut shell. 100% True

It is a SHAME. These kids play to hard to have this ***** to effect games.

But I do love the game and the southern conference.

gophoenix
October 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
WOW that is all of it, in a nut shell. 100% True

It is a SHAME. These kids play to hard to have this ***** to effect games.

But I do love the game and the southern conference.

People seriously... get a grip... whenever there is a close game, the refs seem to matter for fans. The calling is no different in a blowout than it is in a close game. You just notice the possible mistakes more because one call here, another call there and MAYBE you could have scored (maybe not).

Trust me, SoCon refs aren't THAT bad. Ever seen a game with Big South refs? MEAC refs? Pioneer Refs? CIAA refs? THey are all so much worse you'd think we had NFL caliber refs.

If you don't believe me, please, go to a MEAC game, even this weekend and you'll see how good we have it.