PDA

View Full Version : URI & CAA article

Cobblestone
October 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Good article. Looks like Georgia State is doing it right.
================================================== =

College football picks by Mike Szostak

01:00 AM EDT on Friday, October 19, 2007

As the University of Rhode Island’s football team flies south today for a Colonial Athletic Association game tomorrow at Richmond, I wonder how much longer the Rams will make such trips.

No, I’m not suggesting that URI drop football, despite its record of losing seasons and waning fan interest.

I’m suggesting that the football landscape is changing and the view in Kingston and elsewhere might be different in three or four years.

News that Bryant University is moving to Division I and joining the Northeast Conference is just one step. Old Dominion will start playing football in the CAA in 2009, giving the league 13 teams. Georgia State University, a CAA member, is moving in the same direction and might have a team by 2010, which would make the CAA a 14-team league.

What does this mean for URI, already struggling to compete in the strongest conference in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision, one with six ranked teams? It means the cost of staying in the game at this level will only grow.

Old Dominion will begin in December a $24.8-million upgrade to its Foreman Field. The targeted completion date is Aug. 15, 2009, a few weeks before ODU kicks off its inaugural CAA football season. The stadium will seat about 20,000 for football and will feature a game-day building housing 24 luxury suites, 400 loge seats, 100 mini boxes, a glass-walled room for high-school recruits, a patio and an enclosed terrace overlooking the south end zone. The visitors’ locker room will be beneath the north end zone grandstand.

The upgrade also includes a 727-space parking garage, a new Astroturf playing surface and installation of 3,000 premium seats in the existing stands.

Bob Wilder, the former University of Maine quarterback and assistant coach, is the head coach of the new ODU program. He told the Virginian-Pilot of Hampton Roads last month that the room for recruits was his top priority in the stadium design.

Georgia State, the downtown Atlanta school and second-largest university in the state with 26,000 students, appears on the fast track to add football. The university completed a feasibility study last November, hired Dan Reeves, native Georgian and former NFL player and coach, as a consultant last April and launched a fund-raising campaign that as of Oct. 11 had received $1,140,100 in pledges.

Georgia State estimates the start-up cost for football at $7.8 million and the annual cost of maintaining football at between $6.2 million and $24.8 million, depending on facilities. A GSU football team could rent the 71,250-seat Georgia Dome for $2.4 million annually, the least expensive option, but at the risk of playing before 61,000 empty seats.

A 15-member committee is scheduled to meet today to consider a proposal to increase the student athletic fee by $200, which would raise $5.2 million per year. If that happens and the university president approves, the issue will go to the Georgia Board of Regents next spring.

Competing in that environment would require an institutional commitment at URI greater than the drive that paid for the West Grandstand at Meade Stadium and greater than the current capital campaign that is raising money for the Student-Athlete Development Center. It would mean a major renovation to Meade Stadium, making it a multi-purpose facility to maximize the return on the investment.

URI could also go in the opposite direction and try to form a new football league with Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, fellow charter members of the old Yankee Conference, and Villanova, a member for two decades. Northeastern and Hofstra would be attractive and logical additions for travel purposes, but they are CAA members in all other sports and unlikely to move.

As he makes his way through his first football season as URI’s director of athletics, Thorr Bjorn must be pondering all this. I don’t envy him.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I feel for ya, Cobble - of all the schools up North, I have and still peg URI as the one that would be most likely to either drop football altogether or to look for a less competitive league to be in. No offense to you, but URI has for some time just been an undervalued and underappreciated entity, although truth be told they haven't been very good for any amount of time over the past 20 years so that doesn't help. Stowers, of course, doesn't help that picture either as he's generally been a failure at URI. I agree, with ODU coming on, and with Georgia St seemingly poised to follow in ODU's footsteps, the clock might finally be ticking for URI to do something.

Cranium716
October 19th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Great article! A 14-team CAA is rediculously huge, especially compared to every other FCS conference. With only 8 conference games a year, it's going to cause even more problems distinguishing the top teams in the conference. Yet splitting it up into two conferences causes other problems (adding an autobid to the playoffs, tiny conferences).

And I must have missed this one: When did GSU join the CAA?

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Great article! A 14-team CAA is rediculously huge, especially compared to every other FCS conference. With only 8 conference games a year, it's going to cause even more problems distinguishing the top teams in the conference. Yet splitting it up into two conferences causes other problems (adding an autobid to the playoffs, tiny conferences).

And I must have missed this one: When did GSU join the CAA?

Georgia State has been in the CAA for 2-3 years now - they joined when Northeastern joined. No football yet for them, but they are just a little behind ODU in that department. And the size of the conference won't be that much of an issue - kinda like the Big East in basketball. With the playoffs potentially expanding to 24 teams, the CAA could be the big winner - could see 5-7 teams in the playoffs every year. Size has its advantages. xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
October 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I feel for ya, Cobble - of all the schools up North, I have and still peg URI as the one that would be most likely to either drop football altogether or to look for a less competitive league to be in. No offense to you, but URI has for some time just been an undervalued and underappreciated entity, although truth be told they haven't been very good for any amount of time over the past 20 years so that doesn't help. Stowers, of course, doesn't help that picture either as he's generally been a failure at URI. I agree, with ODU coming on, and with Georgia St seemingly poised to follow in ODU's footsteps, the clock might finally be ticking for URI to do something.

I agree. I've suggested to our new A.D. that we join the NEC since it'd be less travel and a conference in which could at least be competetive. I also would like to see the New England schools in the CAA break away and form the old Yankee Conference again or something similar. Bottom line, we cannot compete in the CAA but our new A.D. seems to think differently, at least for now. As time goes on I think he'll change his mind.

bluehenbillk
October 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Trading ODU for URI is a good deal for the CAA no doubt.

URMite
October 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM
URI could also go in the opposite direction and try to form a new football league with Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, fellow charter members of the old Yankee Conference, and Villanova, a member for two decades. Northeastern and Hofstra would be attractive and logical additions for travel purposes, but they are CAA members in all other sports and unlikely to move.

There is one other non full CAA member that wasn't mentioned. xwhistlex But that situation could easily be another thread. I think Villanova is more likely to stay than the new england schools.

Since I first started following the Yankee Conference in the early to mid 80s, I keep forgetting how poorly URI has performed. The first couple of years that I saw them they were pretty good, but not much since then.

URMite
October 19th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I know changes to the CAA have already been talked about a lot but I still see this as an interesting scenario.

When ODU and GSU start, the 4 new england schools find a better fit. Eventually GMU and UNCW start football and since it looks like VCU and Drexel won't, they continue to be replaced by the teams from their own cities who are already here for football only.

+ODU&GSU -URI&Maine
+GMU&UNCW -UNH&UMass

If ever +VCU&Drexel -VU&UR

Cranium716
October 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Georgia State has been in the CAA for 2-3 years now - they joined when Northeastern joined. No football yet for them, but they are just a little behind ODU in that department. And the size of the conference won't be that much of an issue - kinda like the Big East in basketball. With the playoffs potentially expanding to 24 teams, the CAA could be the big winner - could see 5-7 teams in the playoffs every year. Size has its advantages. xthumbsupx

The only think I won't like about it is having to wait years to play some teams in the conference. Think about it, if you have two 7-team divisions and 8 conference games, 6 of those conference games would be taken up by teams in the same divison. That would only leave two conference games from the other division. On a rotational basis, it could take 3-4 years to play a team in another division.

With a 14-team conference, I would LOVE to see a conference championship game. Is that even possible? xnodx

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
With a 14-team conference, I would LOVE to see a conference championship game.
Why? Fortunately for us in I-AA the title is a side bene to making the playoffs. xthumbsupx

dgreco
October 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I think if URI makes a move, I think we may see an America East conference. You could possibly see a ....

URI
Maine
Albany
CCSU
Stony Brook

and I think it would work if the two wildcards made the move

UMass and UNH.

I wouldn't see why all the AE teams wouldn't do it, it might also open the door for a CCSU to move into the AE. They could still be an AQ and full schollie league or comparable and I think it would work.

bluehenbillk
October 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Teams jumping at the chance to join hands with, URI?

th0m
October 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Isn't Stony Brook joining the Big South already?

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
A 14 team conference is just nuts.

Something has to give here.

This will all fall into place about the time of the expanded playoffs. (If that happens).

An 8 team all CAA member conference makes sense then ODU and Geo St start playing football.

That would leave Mass, UNH ,Maine , Vill, URI and Richmond looking for a home.

A northeast "Yankee Conference" (America East Football)
Add Albany and Stony Brook would work. (Stupid BU)

Richmond would have to make a decision what it wants to do.

I don't see it happening with out an guarantee of an auto bid.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
The only think I won't like about it is having to wait years to play some teams in the conference. Think about it, if you have two 7-team divisions and 8 conference games, 6 of those conference games would be taken up by teams in the same divison. That would only leave two conference games from the other division. On a rotational basis, it could take 3-4 years to play a team in another division.

With a 14-team conference, I would LOVE to see a conference championship game. Is that even possible? xnodx

Why? Fortunately for us in I-AA the title is a side bene to making the playoffs. xthumbsupx

Agree with 89, who needs a conference championship game when often that game could be played as a quarterfinal or semifinal game in the playoffs? JMU got the last laugh on W&M in 2004 and that kinda settled things in terms of who was top dog (pun was kinda intended) that year. UMass beating UNH last year in the quarters kinda worked the same way. Conference championship games, IMO, are always overrated. Give me a playoff matchup with a national title on the line and I'll take that anyday. xthumbsupx

dgreco
October 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
A 14 team conference is just nuts.

Something has to give here.

This will all fall into place about the time of the expanded playoffs. (If that happens).

An 8 team all CAA member conference makes sense then ODU and Geo St start playing football.

That would leave Mass, UNH ,Maine , Vill, URI and Richmond looking for a home.

A northeast "Yankee Conference" (America East Football)
Add Albany and Stony Brook would work. (Stupid BU)

Richmond would have to make a decision what it wants to do.

I don't see it happening with out an guarantee of an auto bid.

Well don't you think if they get the 7 or 8 teams to create this conference they would become an AQ. I think if they don't have some sort of guarantee about that non of them would do it and we might jsut see a URI drop football or move to another conference.

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Agree with 89, who needs a conference championship game when often that game could be played as a quarterfinal or semifinal game in the playoffs? JMU got the last laugh on W&M in 2004 and that kinda settled things in terms of who was top dog (pun was kinda intended) that year. UMass beating UNH last year in the quarters kinda worked the same way. Conference championship games, IMO, are always overrated. Give me a playoff matchup with a national title on the line and I'll take that anyday. xthumbsupx

This, ultimately, is why a 14 team conference would work. But, I'd like to see a true conference champion too.

What happens if 2 or 3 teams finish with the same record and they all lose in the first round (unlikely, I know). Are we all co-champions?? I don't like that.

But, like you said, if I had to choose, give me the UD/JMU-UMass/Hofstra game in the semi-finals over a conference championship game anyday.

Cranium716
October 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I agree that if the winners of the two divisions met in the playoffs, then that would be a much better stage to declare a winner, but that isn't always guaranteed to happen. Without a championship game, winning a conference championship will be completely worthless.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 09:38 AM
This, ultimately, is why a 14 team conference would work. But, I'd like to see a true conference champion too.

What happens if 2 or 3 teams finish with the same record and they all lose in the first round (unlikely, I know). Are we all co-champions?? I don't like that.

But, like you said, if I had to choose, give me the UD/JMU-UMass/Hofstra game in the semi-finals over a conference championship game anyday.

When everyone loses in the first round, it doesn't really matter who the real conference champ was - everyone ended up being losers (well, not that bad, they did make the playoffs, but it makes the idea of who was conference champ kinda bittersweet).

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Well don't you think if they get the 7 or 8 teams to create this conference they would become an AQ. I think if they don't have some sort of guarantee about that non of them would do it and we might jsut see a URI drop football or move to another conference.

AQ's aren't just given out.
You'd have to take away an at large bid and that wouldn't fly with anybody.

Once the CAA has a conference that can stand on it's own (no football only schools) why would they want to deal with the problems of a 14 team conference?

That will force the northern schools to make a move.

Cranium716
October 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM
When everyone loses in the first round, it doesn't really matter who the real conference champ was - everyone ended up being losers (well, not that bad, they did make the playoffs, but it makes the idea of who was conference champ kinda bittersweet).

I agree that the main goal of a season is to win the national championship, but from a recruiting standpoint, conference championships are very important. Being an outright conference champ is better than saying you were tied for the championship with 2-3 other teams.

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I agree that the main goal of a season is to win the national championship, but from a recruiting standpoint, conference championships are very important. Being an outright conference champ is better than saying you were tied for the championship with 2-3 other teams.

I guess that's where I'm at. Sure, the ultimate goal wouldn't have been met, but the conference championship is the next best thing.

That's why they still sell NL East Champion shirts.

I would want a CAA Champion shirt if JMU won.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 09:48 AM
When would this championship game be played?

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Honestly, I have absolutely no idea how many conference titles the Hens have won or shared... I really don't care about them. xsmhx I could tell you exactly how many playoff trips we've had though. xnodx xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM
from a recruiting standpoint, conference championships are very important.
Not IMO. Trips to the playoffs trump any and all conference titles. The only conference titles in I-AA that matter are probably the SWAC and Ivy.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Who says that on a recruiting tour you need to say you were co-conference champs? I doubt many coaches are making that clarification.

Dukie95
October 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I guess that's where I'm at. Sure, the ultimate goal wouldn't have been met, but the conference championship is the next best thing.

I would want a CAA Champion shirt if JMU won.

Not if some other CAA team wins the national championship. How many W&M fans remember they were CAA champs in 2004?

It just doesn't matter. It matters so much more in the FBS. Where, unless you're playing for the BCS championship, you're going to end the season playing a meaningless exhibition.

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
And I laugh at people that buy and wear them. xnodx All that tells me is you didn't win the big one.

henfan
October 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Once the CAA has a conference that can stand on it's own (no football only schools) why would they want to deal with the problems of a 14 team conference?

That will force the northern schools to make a move.

I don't buy it. I'm not aware of any prevailing problems that would cause current CAA affiliates to vamoose. Seems they are being treated pretty darn well.

The CAA offers its affiliates immediate auto bid access, which is something they wouldn't get in a fledgling new conference for several years. More importantly, the CAA guarantees New England teams, many of whom have had difficulty scheduling home-home deals in the past, four guaranteed home games every year. Where else are they going to get that? Home game ticket sales are practically the only source of revenue for most FCS schools.

I'm with others here. With additional at-large bids at play on the horizon, the size of a conference isn't going to matter nearly as much as the quality of football they play. I hope URI makes the investments they need to continue being a part of it.

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Honestly, I have absolutely no idea how many conference titles the Hens have won or shared... I really don't care about them. xsmhx I could tell you exactly how many playoff trips we've had though. xnodx xthumbsupx

Doesn't a conference championship = a playoff appearance??

I'd rather be conference champ than be the at-large.

Caveat here: If I'm the at-large , then I will concede that it doesn't matter so long as I win the National Championship or probably if I even go to championship game.

But between playoff losers, I'd rather be the conference champ.

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Doesn't a conference championship = a playoff appearance??

I'd rather be conference champ than be the at-large.
I don't care either way. The conference championship is the fluff, the playoff appearance is the goal. It's kinda like the Lambert Cup... they give it to the I-AA that makes it the furthest in the playoffs, but I really don't give a rats arse about it. It's nice and all, but who really cares?

For me there is only one goal at the start of the year... make the playoffs. Once in the playoffs there is only one goal... win it all. If it doesn't happen, no biggie, but I'm not going to celebrate anything less. xpeacex

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I don't care either way. The conference championship is the fluff, the playoff appearance is the goal. It's kinda like the Lambert Cup... they give it to the I-AA that makes it the furthest in the playoffs, but I really don't give a rats arse about it. It's nice and all, but who really cares?

For me there is only one goal at the start of the year... make the playoffs. Once in the playoffs there is only one goal... win it all. If it doesn't happen, no biggie, but I'm not going to celebrate anything less. xpeacex

I guess that's the crux of the issue. I actually do care. The CAA is a great conference (I think the best in I-AA, but I'm a homer). To win the conference means that you were consistently, throughout the year, better than a lot of teams. That's not fluff, that's an accomplishment. Now, I think the more teams you add, the more fluff it is.

But, if JMU doesn't win the CAA, but gets in the playoffs, I'm still happy and the goal is still to win the NC. Obviously, that trumps anything else.

Short of that, I'd rather say, hey, we were regular season champs (playoff appearance implied) than, hey, at least we got to the playoffs.

Cranium716
October 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Aah, so that's why Deleware hasn't won a National Championship since '03, because their goal is just to make the playoffs. xsmiley_wix

If the goal of a team is just to make the playoffs, then something is seriously wrong. The goal of every team should be to win a National Championship!

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Aah, so that's why Deleware hasn't won a National Championship since '03, because their goal is just to make the playoffs. xsmiley_wix

If the goal of a team is just to make the playoffs, then something is seriously wrong. The goal of every team should be to win a National Championship!

Actually, I'll stand up for 89 on this one. He said make the playoffs first, then win the National Championship. You can't do the latter without the former. That's a logical progression to me.

His point is that neither playoff at-large or conference champ. guarantees you the ultimate goal.

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Let's not go there - UD has just as many playoff victories as JMU has starting in 2005. :p

GannonFan
October 19th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Actually, I'll stand up for 89 on this one. He said make the playoffs first, then win the National Championship. You can't do the latter without the former. That's a logical progression to me.

Agreed. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I guess that's the crux of the issue. I actually do care.
Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this because we are at an impass.

BTW, I guess you ordered you Southern Division Champs T-shirt already? xsmiley_wix

Cranium716
October 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Let's not go there - UD has just as many playoff victories as JMU has starting in 2005. :p

Ah, touche! xcoolx

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this because we are at an impass.

BTW, I guess you ordered you Southern Division Champs T-shirt already? xsmiley_wix

Agree to disagree.
- Ron Burgundy! (another movie reference!)

No Southern Division T-Shirt yet, still several big games to play. But, I'd rather win the Southern Division than finish 3rd behind us and Richmond:p xsmiley_wix

89Hen
October 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Agree to disagree.
- Ron Burgundy! (another movie reference!)
Whale's vagina. xlolx

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Whale's vagina. xlolx

One of the funnies scenes ever that never gets enough credit (probably because it requires use of the word "vagina" to re-create).

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I don't buy it. I'm not aware of any prevailing problems that would cause current CAA affiliates to vamoose. Seems they are being treated pretty darn well.

The CAA offers its affiliates immediate auto bid access, which is something they wouldn't get in a fledgling new conference for several years. More importantly, the CAA guarantees New England teams, many of whom have had difficulty scheduling home-home deals in the past, four guaranteed home games every year. Where else are they going to get that? Home game ticket sales are practically the only source of revenue for most FCS schools.

I'm with others here. With additional at-large bids at play on the horizon, the size of a conference isn't going to matter nearly as much as the quality of football they play. I hope URI makes the investments they need to continue being a part of it.

They are being treated well (except for the no southern trips north late october/early november). But the way things stand right now the CAA teams need us. Once they no longer need help to fill the conference what happens? It would be a you need us more then we need you situation. Remember the Golden Rule. He who has the gold makes the rules.xwhistlex

henfan
October 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
But the way things stand right now the CAA teams need us. Once they no longer need help to fill the conference what happens?

I think you're overestimating the importance of affiliates to the CAA longterm, especially in terms of keeping the conference at the same competitive level. The annual affiliate fees also help defray operating costs. It's very much a mutally beneficial agreement.xthumbsupx

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think you're overestimating the importance of affiliates to the CAA longterm, especially in terms of keeping the conference at the same competitive level. The annual affiliate fees also help defray operating costs. It's very much a mutally beneficial agreement.xthumbsupx

Overestimating or underestimating?

Do you agree that a 14 team (and growing) conference is to large?
My point is simply there will come a time that the CAA will say "see ya', we're all set on our own" to the affliates. I think the non-CAA schools should have a plan.

CollegeSportsInfo
October 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Story more of less goes along the lines of what we've mentioned on the board before:

America East Football:

Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Stonybrook
Albany

henfan
October 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Overestimating or underestimating?

Do you agree that a 14 team (and growing) conference is to large?
My point is simply there will come a time that the CAA will say "see ya', we're all set on our own" to the affliates. I think the non-CAA schools should have a plan.

Ouch! Big typo mistake. I meant to type 'underestimating'!

No, I don't agree that a 14-team conference would be too large, especially if the playoffs were to expand to 24 teams. I also don't think the CAA has any designs of casting aside long-term rivalries without substantial reason. Reduction of members for the sake of it probably isn't reason enough.

I do agree that it's a good idea for everyone involved to have a backup plan. That just makes good business sense.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Ouch! Big typo mistake. I meant to type 'underestimating'!

No, I don't agree that a 14-team conference would be too large, especially if the playoffs were to expand to 24 teams. I also don't think the CAA has any designs of casting aside long-term rivalries without substantial reason. Reduction of members for the sake of it probably isn't reason enough.

I do agree that it's a good idea for everyone involved to have a backup plan. That just makes good business sense.

Nope, you put overestimate! I don't accept your correction.
Your on my side now.xthumbsupx

In my world anyway.

henfan
October 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
America East Football:

Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Stonybrook
Albany

It seems that core alignment hasn't excited UMass or UNH, which is probably one of the many reasons the AEC hasn't made much headway in that direction.

Is football a desire of the AEC? Absolutely, as well it should be. Is it practical? Probably not, at least not without considerable disruption to the AEC's Olympic sport conference membership. Unless UVm, UHart, UMBC & Bing find the resources to start their own FB programs or the AEC expands to add full members with FB, they're going to be extremely hard-pressed to find the critical mass necessary to start a FB league. Not that it's impossible, but no FCS AD in his right mind wants to be stuck trying to find an extra 3 or 4 home games every year.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Getting U Mass is the key.

But why would they want to leave the CAA.

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I, regretfully, agree with henfan. There's no motivation for any affiliate to leave the CAA.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM
It seems that core alignment hasn't excited UMass or UNH, which is probably one of the many reasons the AEC hasn't made much headway in that direction.

Is football a desire of the AEC? Absolutely, as well it should be. Is it practical? Probably not, at least not without considerable disruption to the AEC's Olympic sport conference membership. Unless UVm, UHart, UMBC & Bing find the resources to start their own FB programs or the AEC expands to add full members with FB, they're going to be extremely hard-pressed to find the critical mass necessary to start a FB league. Not that it's impossible, but no FCS AD in his right mind wants to be stuck trying to find an extra 3 or 4 home games every year.

Just another reason to hate Boston University

UNHWildCats
October 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
How many teams does a conference need to get an auto bid?

If theres a new AE conference it will likely only come if a playoff expansion happens.

The conmference will need to have enopugh teams to qualify for the auto bid. I dont see teams leaving the CAA without a guaranteed playoff spot in a new conference.

The likely teams for a new AE football league would be...

New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Albany? After that who else are likely to join it ?

URMite
October 19th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I, regretfully, agree with henfan. There's no motivation for any affiliate to leave the CAA.

Regretfully? because you like disagreeing with henfan, or because you would like to see someone leave.xsmiley_wix

ChooChoo
October 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Story more of less goes along the lines of what we've mentioned on the board before:

America East Football:

Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Stonybrook
Albany

Northeastern
Hofstra
Villanova*
Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond*
W&M
ODU
Georgia St.

Which, according to your theory, would leave the door open for the above 10 team conference (with 2 affiliates) for 2012.
Not to say it won't happen but a problem I see is that there are still 2 to 3 more teams, besides ODU and GSU, getting into the football game before this is over. Charlotte, UNCW, and GMU could all be factors in this in the next 5 years. Would Charlotte and Richmond want to play with the other A-10 schools in New England?
14 is tough enough, but I think that the addition of any of these three programs will definitely split the CAA in big ways.
Since this is a board and my opinion means nothing in the scheme of things, if all these schools add football, this is the all-sports CAA I'd like to see emerge by 2015:

UMass
Hofstra
Temple <<< yeah, that FBS Temple
Delaware
Towson
George Mason
----------
James Madison
William & Mary
Old Dominion
UNCW
Charlotte
Georgia State

Big schools, big markets, solid basketball, natural rivalries, and LOTS of potential for future growth.

UNHWildCats
October 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I dont see UNH leaving the CAA if UMass doesnt.

UNHWildCats
October 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM
not to mention that the only school left with a short trip is Hofstra for UMass, I dont see them sticking around without hav ing short trips to URI, UNH and Northeastern

henfan
October 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Getting U Mass is the key.

But why would they want to leave the CAA.

FBS football? Unlikely as that is, it's probably the only reason they'd want to go anywhere. Aside from fewer conference home games and delayed access to an automatic playoff bid, what would the AEC FB league have to offer UMass or UNH?

One slip up I noticed in the article. Villanova was not a member of the Yankee Conference for over two decades. They did belong to the YankCon for almost one decade (1988-1996.) VU's most played rivals among current CAA members are, in order, Delaware (40 games), Richmond (36 games) and W&M (25 games.) None of the original YankCon are among those schools. VU is also a two-sport affiliate member of the CAA, as is Richmond. Their ties are deeper than FB.xthumbsupx

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
FBS football? Unlikely as that is, it's probably the only reason they'd want to go anywhere. Aside from fewer conference home games and delayed access to an automatic playoff bid, what would the AEC FB league have to offer UMass or UNH?

One slip up I noticed in the article. Villanova was not a member of the Yankee Conference for over two decades. They did belong to the YankCon for almost one decade (1988-1996.) VU's most played rivals among current CAA members are, in order, Delaware (40 games), Richmond (36 games) and W&M (25 games.) None of the original YankCon are among those schools. VU is also a two-sport affiliate member of the CAA, as is Richmond. Their ties are deeper than FB.xthumbsupx

A Deleware guy and a UNH guy fighting over who gets to keep UMassxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Take this date down.:p

mcveyrl
October 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Regretfully? because you like disagreeing with henfan, or because you would like to see someone leave.xsmiley_wix

BOTH!!

I personally think 14 is too big, but could live with it since we'll get to keep some of the quality affiliate teams.

ChooChoo
October 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Good article. Looks like Georgia State is doing it right.
================================================== =

College football picks by Mike Szostak

01:00 AM EDT on Friday, October 19, 2007

Georgia State, the downtown Atlanta school and second-largest university in the state with 26,000 students, appears on the fast track to add football. The university completed a feasibility study last November, hired Dan Reeves, native Georgian and former NFL player and coach, as a consultant last April and launched a fund-raising campaign that as of Oct. 11 had received $1,140,100 in pledges.

Georgia State estimates the start-up cost for football at $7.8 million and the annual cost of maintaining football at between $6.2 million and $24.8 million, depending on facilities. A GSU football team could rent the 71,250-seat Georgia Dome for $2.4 million annually, the least expensive option, but at the risk of playing before 61,000 empty seats.

A 15-member committee is scheduled to meet today to consider a proposal to increase the student athletic fee by $200, which would raise $5.2 million per year. If that happens and the university president approves, the issue will go to the Georgia Board of Regents next spring.

Just got word...it passed, unanimous in favor! An official release should come shortly! Georgia State Football...one step closer.

URMite
October 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM

I think he was trying to say that from the time Villanova joined the YankCon until now was 2 decades. Not that it means much.

Ok, I'll bite even though I feel foolish, what is the other sport for Villanova & Richmond?xoopsx

henfan
October 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
A Deleware guy and a UNH guy fighting over who gets to keep UMassxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Take this date down.:p

I'm arguing more to keep our rivalry with UNH going, if truth be told. UMass will always do what UMass will do.

Besides, a trip to Durham gives me another reason to visit Newick's!xbowx

URMite
October 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Northeastern
Hofstra
Villanova*
Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond*
W&M
ODU
Georgia St.

Which, according to your theory, would leave the door open for the above 10 team conference (with 2 affiliates) for 2012.
Not to say it won't happen but a problem I see is that there are still 2 to 3 more teams, besides ODU and GSU, getting into the football game before this is over. Charlotte, UNCW, and GMU could all be factors in this in the next 5 years. Would Charlotte and Richmond want to play with the other A-10 schools in New England?
14 is tough enough, but I think that the addition of any of these three programs will definitely split the CAA in big ways.
Since this is a board and my opinion means nothing in the scheme of things, if all these schools add football, this is the all-sports CAA I'd like to see emerge by 2015:

UMass
Hofstra
Temple <<< yeah, that FBS Temple
Delaware
Towson
George Mason
----------
James Madison
William & Mary
Old Dominion
UNCW
Charlotte
Georgia State

Big schools, big markets, solid basketball, natural rivalries, and LOTS of potential for future growth.

Am I reading this right? Since you said all-sports, you want to exchange Northeastern, Drexel, and VCU for UMass, Temple and Charlotte?

henfan
October 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I think he was trying to say that from the time Villanova joined the YankCon until now was 2 decades. Not that it means much.

Ok, I'll bite even though I feel foolish, what is the other sport for Villanova & Richmond?xoopsx

Yeah, I think that's what he intended to write, but he made it sound as though he thought the YankCon affiliation was the primary attraction for VU. I happen to think the opportunity to play Delaware, Richmond & W&M every year might trump that, given the Wildcats longer term rivalries with those schools.

UR is an affiliate CAA member for WGolf and VU for MLAX.

Old Cage
October 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM
It is beyond me that folks here are lumping UMass with Albany and and others. Maybe we will play Anna Maria if they field a team. Good grief.

It certainly could happen over many years that Albany would become a rival, but for now, the odds are greater that we will go up than that we will step back.

BTW: Someone mentioned Vermont. I was told that they are fielding a club team this year, their first football in over 30 years. Bring back the YANCON!

:D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Just another reason to hate Boston University

I didn't know we needed a reason! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p If we do, then I'm sure Husky Alum and his compadres will provide me with a long list! ;) xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ChooChoo
October 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Am I reading this right? Since you said all-sports, you want to exchange Northeastern, Drexel, and VCU for UMass, Temple and Charlotte?

Yeah. No disrespect to Northeastern, Drexel, and VCU, but yeah, eventually having an all sports conference that consists of universities that are larger in scope and offering football would be MY ideal. Attracting them away from our sister conference would only sweeten the deal. I didn't say it would or could happen, just what I would like to see happen. xpeacex

blur2005
October 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah. No disrespect to Northeastern, Drexel, and VCU, but yeah, eventually having an all sports conference that consists of universities that are larger in scope and offering football would be MY ideal. Attracting them away from our sister conference would only sweeten the deal. I didn't say it would or could happen, just what I would like to see happen. xpeacex
Not happening. But hey, we can all dream, though I have no desire to lose VCU for basketball - that would be idiotic. Drexel either, for that matter. Northeastern...well, maybe. But I think that's unfair to Northeastern - they joined prior to the formation of a football CAA and were the 6th football team, making CAA football possible. CAA football was the impetus for ODU and Ga State investigating football.

ChooChoo
October 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Not happening. But hey, we can all dream, though I have no desire to lose VCU for basketball - that would be idiotic. Drexel either, for that matter. Northeastern...well, maybe. But I think that's unfair to Northeastern - they joined prior to the formation of a football CAA and were the 6th football team, making CAA football possible. CAA football was the impetus for ODU and Ga State investigating football.

Duly noted and I do understand the point.
For the sake of argument let's look at the A-10 football schools. As the article indicates, Rhode Island football is under-performing to the critical stage. Richmond is committed to football but wants to downsize to a 9,000 seat stadium. LaSalle, Duquesne, and Dayton are what they are. Temple is FBS in the MAC. Charlotte wants football but by all indications on their board, FCS should only be a launching pad. Who knows for sure? The point being that the potential to compete and share in an all-sports conference is appealing to many universities but as it looks now, the A-10 is getting further away from those prospects every year. Are you sure there would be no chance that teams like UMass, Charlotte, or Temple (unlikely, I know) would want in to an up and coming all-sports league like the CAA? and for whatever reason the CAA has the opportunity to add UMass with or without the understanding you lose Northeastern, do you make the deal?

bkrownd
October 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM
BTW: Someone mentioned Vermont. I was told that they are fielding a club team this year, their first football in over 30 years. Bring back the YANCON!

:D

Not as long as Vermont has its scholarships committed to varsity D-1 hockey and lacrosse.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM
UVM is still cashing checks from the basketball win over the 'cuse

GeeWiz
October 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM

I'm getting a kick how Georgia State fans are now attempting to dictate who should stay or leave the CAA for football. xnonox

How about playing your first game and then revisit this idea.

ChooChoo
October 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I'm getting a kick how Georgia State fans are now attempting to dictate who should stay or leave the CAA for football. xnonox

How about playing your first game and then revisit this idea.

Settle down sparky, just throwing out a hypothetical. I'm just one guy looking at the big picture. You know and I know that teams don't just get kicked out...unless you're Temple.

Looking forward to that big Northeastern/Georgia State rivalry that's sure to emerge. xbowx

UMass922
October 20th, 2007, 01:34 AM
FBS football? Unlikely as that is, it's probably the only reason they'd want to go anywhere.

Yup. The only reason I'd ever want to see UMass leave the CAA is to join the Big East.

That said, a 14-team league is less than ideal for me. Not for any serious or practical reason--mainly just because I think, in an ideal world, no college football conference should be so large that you can't play each of the other teams once a year. (In basketball, you should be able to play everyone twice.) Nine teams is the perfect size: you play everyone once, with an equal number of home and away games. Twelve is fine if you have a conference championship game, but obviously that can't be reconciled with the FCS playoffs. My fantasy would be to see UMass help fill out a 12-team Big East . . . but short of that, I'll be able to live with a 14-team CAA.